Does this forum have any value?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
XTimeRemains

Re: Does this forum have any value?

Post by XTimeRemains » August 5th, 2018, 11:22 am

Georgeanna wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 4:03 am
There is value. This thread is one example.
Yeah! The following by chewybrian was pretty valuable to me. Many disciplines, including those in science, writing, and engineering, have aspects of getting your work and ideas reviewed by others. One reason that review is so valuable is that we often overlook issues with our ideas and work because we've become so familiar with them. But having someone with a fresh perspective (and a different perspective) take a look will often reveal issues that we can address which will make our ideas and work more robust.
chewybrian wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 8:42 am
But, most of us need...feedback...to see if we are off the rails on some of the more difficult ideas.

Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna » August 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm

The forum is as valuable as people make it.
Let's make it worthwhile...

If you care, dare.
Eh, Eduk.

Judaka

Post by Judaka » August 16th, 2018, 7:12 am

Eduk

There is a value to this forum for me but that's because I have goals that I feel are sometimes served by the forum. Philosophy isn't about going anywhere or achieving anything besides your own personal goals, I've seen so many foolish philosophies will surfing forums like these but never once did I ever convince anyone that they were wrong, nor have I really seen anyone realise they were wrong and admit in the forum.

I don't think the majority of people come here not to learn but rather to teach. I try to make a post and then read my post like it wasn't me who made it, often nobody points out I said anything wrong but I notice it and try to remember.

Sometimes I do discuss things and learn, I learn from their good and bad points. In fact, I remember we had a very long discussion and although I never told you, I learned a lot from it. I made such long-winded posts and you never really understood what I was talking about and I blamed you. Maybe if we never had that discussion, I would still blame others for not understanding me but our chat made me realise that speaking without putting any effort into being understood is wrong on so many levels.

I was also making a lot of points just because I thought of them and in the end, we got confused mainly because I wasn't even making a real argument anymore, just jumping around our random ideas. I desperately tried to tie it back to my overarching argument but truthfully the statement was never made with that intention.

I think it does take a certain attitude to enjoy any philosophical development in this or any forum, you can't just come to teach and argue, you need to listen and reflect also.

Number2018

Post by Number2018 » August 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

It is a good forum, and I respect its rules. However, have been a new trial member, I feel completely restricted
by the forum’s procedures. I cannot post comments without been moderated. Moreover, I deprived a feature to write to a moderator, and I do not know for how long I will keep this status and if it is possible to speed up the process of becoming a permanent member. I would really appreciate an opportunity of taking full and unrestricted part in forum's discussions.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » August 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm

A good post Judaka. I think it fair to say that many words , which don't seem to have any effect in the moment, do have an effect over time.
Unknown means unknown.