Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Heidegger versus Husserl

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Burning ghost

Re: Heidegger versus Husserl

Post by Burning ghost » August 1st, 2018, 6:05 pm

TH -

The point was we don’t HEAR a sound of no thing. The sound is not “empty.” The “intention” in this sense (intentionality) is the subjects not some otherness.

Spectrum -

I’d rather you didn’t agree. If you agreed then we’d have bery little to talk about. As for Kant and Buddhism, you do appear to confuse your opinion with that of others - I guess we all do though to some degree though.

My focus is religion at the moment. There we have very different opinions. I’ve been having a hard time trying to capture the most useful concepts to present my views though.
AKA badgerjelly

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » August 2nd, 2018, 5:42 am

Burning ghost wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 6:05 pm
TH -

The point was we don’t HEAR a sound of no thing. The sound is not “empty.” The “intention” in this sense (intentionality) is the subjects not some otherness.
It was only a clarification; not a criticism.
Trees fall in the forest make a bloody racket whether we are there to hear them or not. But when we do the sound is never neutral - it has to have meaning for us. When in a forest we have to know what that sound is and our primal sense is a ask if there is a danger.
Spectrum -

I’d rather you didn’t agree. If you agreed then we’d have bery little to talk about. As for Kant and Buddhism, you do appear to confuse your opinion with that of others - I guess we all do though to some degree though.

My focus is religion at the moment. There we have very different opinions. I’ve been having a hard time trying to capture the most useful concepts to present my views though.
I'm bound to suggest that religion ultimately has NO useful concepts and you might be on a fool's errand.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » August 3rd, 2018, 3:50 am

TH -

If you think trying to understand something better is a fool’s errand I am baffled. And the rest is missing the point of what “intentionality” is to Husserl.
AKA badgerjelly