Personal identity-"The Self"

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Hans-Werner Hammen

Re: Personal identity-"The Self"

Post by Hans-Werner Hammen »

thrasymachus wrote: January 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm finitude is brain produced, and beyond the brain is not finitude, but infinity. Finitude is literally IN infinity, and the latter, therefore, is IN finitude
If finitude symbolizes finite-ness, then indeed, finitude, is yet another abstract object = imaginary = made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing.

SURE IS!!!! Infinity, id est infinite-NESS is yet another abstract object...

Forgive me for asserting your assertions starting with "beyond your brain" for totally unsubstantiable.
Look, MERELY within some-thing IS some-thing.
With-in an object is the chemical elements symbolized in the "Periodic Table"
THIS is a substantiable application of the symbol "within"
There is NO, I repeat NO "calories" WITH!!!-IN!!!! a cake dear friend.
The calories are MERELY measured FROM/ABOUT the cake!
Hans-Werner Hammen

thrasymachus wrote: January 5th, 2021, 5:36 pm So, a thing is a causal thing, in the many ways things can be caused and be a cause for other things. But perceivedness is not causal? But then, how doe a perception of, say, this apple, be a perception about the apple, but not be caused? There is the apple, and here am I. Where does causality break down in its becoming a perception?
A thing is a real cause at an imaginary effect called perceivedness, awareness or just property,
via a perceiving-action.
the perceived-ness is being ASSERTED via a proclamation = assertion. The assertion does not, I assure you, and I am seriously serious here, demonstrate ("procve") in the slightest, that the perceivedness is causal at its assertion.
Please replace the perceivednesses called mass, volume, energy by other awarenesses such as them called YHWH, the Tooth fairy, Winnie the Pooh then you will understand on the spot.

And please do not forget to forgive me for (the utteration) some formulative deficiencies - E nglish is not my language.
Hans-Werner Hammen

thrasymachus wrote: January 5th, 2021, 5:36 pm But perceivedness is not causal?
Pervceived-hood/ness is "imaginary-non-causal" the synonym of this symbol is "epiphenomenal"

The cause AT the effect "assertion OF the perceived-ness" is the "biggest elefant" in the room so to speak -
it is the evolved-primate brain -
per se, as such, it-self, in its own right.

Do you understand that it is accurately the evolved-primate brain, which has us, human beings, made effectively, the most powerful and the UTmost dangerous and detrimental beings that Earth ever had to endure?
Atla

Post by Atla »

thrasymachus wrote: January 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm
Gertie wrote
I don't see the basis for the distinction. All of it, phenomena and reason, are just different types of experience. Along with emotion, memory, sensation, etc.

You are distinguishing between the experiencing of sensory perceptions (''phenomena'') and reason (''if...then'' which is generally consciously experienced as the thinky voice talking, using language, in our brain. In fact the ''if...then'' is based on the the behaviour of the phenomena we experience observing. The experience of reasoning about gravity making an apple fall is just as 'immediate' an experience as observing a green apple. All experience is immediate, THERE, unmediated, directly known - you can't have non-immediate experience.
Apologies for all the reading ahead. Such things are complex to me, and I don't have a "Twitter" regard for them.

Regarding "all experience is immediate": I want to say, you know this isn't true. The closest to "immediate" would be an infant in the cradle, but these "blooming and buzzing" (James) perceivers acknowledge nothing, understand nothing, and while they perceive, they do not understand. The simple event whereby one acknowledges a chair as a chair is a matter, not of perception, but apperception, as in the encounter, the chair does not intuitively proclaim it is a chair or that it is even there at all. These are interpretative acts made by time-constructed agencies, selves, that draws on a personal history whereby language was acquired and meanings generated. This takes time, and once one has run a course of being-in-the-world, then thought takes hold. A chair, to complete this line of thought, is not a simple object of mere presence. Concepts cannot stand alone in affirmation. A moment of particular awareness at all, no matter how simple the seeming, is implicitly crowded by background familiarity and education (a kind of implicit curriculum) that gives the world its sense of stability, and this is what we call reality, being, existence, not to put too fine a point on it. Those presences out there we refer to as stones and hills and "things" apart from this are otherwise entirely alien to us. Try to explain what a star is sans language.

Including the sense of being a self - a discrete, unified being with a first person pov (correlated with a specific body) located in space and time. All of my experiencing adds up to this sense of being a discrete self. I can't observe that experience of being a self, because it too is experience. I can reflect about it as we are doing now. But that reflecting too is experience. There is no separate Experiencer Self watching the Cartesian Theatre play out, the sense of being a Self is itself a type of way that my experience manifests.
This I find very intriguing. Look at it like this: you say that "reflecting too is experience." How so? Certainly, the reflection is on experience, but when the gaze turns towards the egoic center, the center is lost to the gaze. And all that one can identify as experience does not qualify as the source of the observer: over here a memory, over there a pond with elephants, then something else, and on and on. What IS there about experience that makes the transient (elusive to observation) egoic center experiential in nature? Experience turning to experience and having an experience begs the question: what is exhibited in experience that satisfies the condition for the elusive "agency" (not to imply a transcendental agency, but simply that whcih perceives, thinks, and so on) that is having a relationship with objects?

Your position seems to be that the self is a composite of experiences, not just one (which would be absurd), but a body of resources that collectively turns its attention towards this and that. There is most clearly something to this, for I have implicitly just argued for such a thing above when I defended the "thick" theory of individual perceptual events (apperception): what an object if not the a matrix of resources derived from experience, constituted by experience, and constituting the world? I think this is where the argument finds its center, for if a self is a composite like this, then what is the content of this composite? Can it be that once this composite of experience is exhaustively put aside, there is nothing left? Then there are the functions, the rationality that not only deploys logic, but IS logic in its nature, the principle that holds all things together as "my this" and "belongs to me", these also are of the self.

To consider what the self is, one takes inventory. The astounding part for me, and anyone, really, is that the agency in question cannot transcend the boundaries of agency. The moment I ask what I am, it is I that processes the question, and I do not have Archimedean position to "leverage" an answer. Its like logic asking what logic is, or the eye "seeing" the eye. One can never get "behind" the self, to grasp what it is, for grasping itself is a conditioning notion. This leaves us with the transcendence of the question, and this kind of question can only be resolved in apophatic philosophy.

This is where I am in the substantive addressing of the question of the self. I am reading about this very issue in post Heideggerian French thinkers, but I won't bother you with this unless you want me to.
Eternity? Infinity? What do you mean? The cup outside of my (or another conscious creature's) experience is not known of (ie not experienced) - rather than infinite or endless. It's not even knowable if it exists. (You seem to be conflating knowledge with infinity, and I don't understand why). It's not knowable if anything exists except my experience. If my experience does represent a real world of cups and brains and other people, that knowledge is not first person known and is imperfect and limited. This is all bewildering to a new born baby, as we are thrown into living experience, but not bewildering in principle.
Only one way to think about infinity. First, where does the idea come from, and the answer here is obvious: it is the apriori insistence that space and time cannot have a beginning or an end. Schopenhauer called this the undoing of the prinicple of sufficient cause because there can be no first cause, which would validate all subsequent effects and their causes. Space is the same: I very well know how to use the idea: this is over there, under the TV, beneath the couch, outside, inside; when it comes down to it, this is what space is in real lived affairs, but look closer: here is a contained locality. Where is it? Anything you could say would beg the question, well, where is that, then? and questions would simply tapper off into eternity. So much for a foundational grasp of space and time.

What is the phenomenological evidence for eternity? It is right there, when you look up, and explore your intuitions. We all do this, let our minds reach out as far as possible, then the sudden shock of ineffability. This is the evidential basis for "actual" eternity, for eternity is not confined to abstract counting or concepts like pi. It is IN actuality itself, and this makes it real. This is how we need to think about eternity. Not some impossiblity, but what is right there before you when the question is asked, what is eternity?

So let's say I am a brain, or a brain manifestation of some kind. No issue here on that. I look up, and have this encounter with eternity, trying to imagine it ending, not being able to, thinking this is impossible, but it is true regardless, and so on. Clearly, what we are witnessing is a threshold, and if we are a physical object, a brain, this threshold would be seen simply as the physical boundaries of the brain. Plainly, this is the case. The locality of brain mass defines the "locality" of the delimitations of finitude. Experience and physicality are parallels.

But then the rub: my finitude is brain produced, and beyond the brain is not finitude, but infinity. Finitude is literally IN infinity, and the latter, therefore, is IN finitude, qualifies all things, this cup, the tree and the rest of the mundane furniture of the world is of this.

Further investigation pending your response.
All this objectification, subjectification, reification, presence, 'thing-ification'. Why do phenomenologists believe that there are separate phenomena, with relations between them? Nondualism looks at direct experience as well, but then immediately does away with such a priori illusions.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Hans-Werner Hammen

Atla wrote: January 5th, 2021, 11:32 pm All this objectification, subjectification, reification, presence, 'thing-ification'. Why do phenomenologists believe that there are separate phenomena, with relations between them? Nondualism looks at direct experience as well, but then immediately does away with such a priori illusions.
We subjectize some-thing via a perceiving-action
Any subjectization is imaginary, is no-thing, is called (symbolized = objectized as) awareness or truth.
We objectize = reify the subjectization in that we utter, express, (pro)claim it.
The objectization is some-thing, but it might refer to a subjectization, iow to no-thing.

Some-thing namely an object = Referent = "world1"

{Individual awareness fabricated FROM/ABOUT some-thing} = subjectization = Reference = "world2"

{Expression OF an awareness} = Objectization = some-thing = Symbol = "world3"

Well, you are entitled to assert this expression = objectization of a distinction (the distinction per se is indeed made up = imaginary!!!) for "useless"
The creators of the Semiotic Triangle (CK Ogden and IA Richards) as well as the creator of the "3-world-symbol" (Sire KR Popper) as well as all those who are right now applying this sytem might - sure is! - seriously disagree.

When someone is talking about a symbol, I will always ask whether the symbol is referring to a Reference (imaginary-non-causal = epiphenomenal) or to a Referent (real = causal, namely at a perceiving action).
My evolution friend does not accept this, and SO the "expression of a verbose hilarity" ensues. Cheerio!
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

If finitude symbolizes finite-ness, then indeed, finitude, is yet another abstract object = imaginary = made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing.

SURE IS!!!! Infinity, id est infinite-NESS is yet another abstract object...

Forgive me for asserting your assertions starting with "beyond your brain" for totally unsubstantiable.
Look, MERELY within some-thing IS some-thing.
With-in an object is the chemical elements symbolized in the "Periodic Table"
THIS is a substantiable application of the symbol "within"
There is NO, I repeat NO "calories" WITH!!!-IN!!!! a cake dear friend.
The calories are MERELY measured FROM/ABOUT the cake!
You are having problems with this because you don't know the essentials of the idea, which cannot be offered in a few posts. But bit by bit...

The cake: Try to return to an earlier objection of mine. You were talking about the brain and the to and from toward objects, and you were saying the self is a dismissible abstract construct. My thought was this: what is it you are dismissing? IS it language and its concepts? I think so, though you are invited to clarify; but assume that all that belongs to cognition is some insubstantial gestalt, a mere appearance of "real" things. The basis for an objection lies with some very simple observations. First, you cannot define the Real in this. It is simply supposed to be a simple given, by your thinking, a simpliciter presence, so you will not advance any explanatory basis for positing this. I may ask, what IS the Real, then, and you will continue to tell me, it is what is there, the cake! Second, and this I did mention: the very abstraction that you wish dismiss is the vehicle of its own denial! For in order make the proposition "ideas are not real" you have to do it through, and exclusively through, ideas. If ideas are not real, then where is the basis for the objection if not "in the unreal"? And if the self is not real, then what issues from the self is not real, and the question is absurdly begged: where does the Real even show up at all in the unreal self that should be, as you propose, dismissed? Third, Isn't it better to wipe the slate clean of ontological assumptions and allow yourself to simply stand in the midst of the world and acknowledge that this, there before you, is what you want to explain? What else IS there than this? You SEE a cake. Then analyze, and you can apply even the strictest positivist standards, that is only what can be verified of falsified is allowed entry into assumptions!
A thing is a real cause at an imaginary effect called perceivedness, awareness or just property,
via a perceiving-action.
the perceived-ness is being ASSERTED via a proclamation = assertion. The assertion does not, I assure you, and I am seriously serious here, demonstrate ("procve") in the slightest, that the perceivedness is causal at its assertion.
Please replace the perceivednesses called mass, volume, energy by other awarenesses such as them called YHWH, the Tooth fairy, Winnie the Pooh then you will understand on the spot.
Causality is not to be trifled with. It is an extraordinary intuition. After all, one cannot even imagine a spontaneous cause.

But what you have here: when one perceives, one is doing so in an imaginary "perceivedness" which is asserted in a proposition (proclamation?) Perceivedness is the same as mass, volume, energy, YHWY and so on, by which you mean they are all just terms that have no real existence. So I guess you defend the idea that what REALLY is, cannot be said at all? Nor is it the cake (above), nor any term that can be used to explain. All such terms are illusory.

I gather this is what you think, my Hindu friend! Obviously, I agree, and do not agree at once. The clarification lies in the explanation, but since this is off the table, where will you go from here?
Hans-Werner Hammen

All that we can even accept or reject, appoint or dismiss, swallow or disgorge, is some-thing.
For an example an assertion.
And, as regards your assertion of a Religion of mine, I am at best an AGnostic PanTheist.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Yes, very good Hans-Werner Hammen. But I fail to see the obstacle to simply reading the ideas set forth and responding to them. I mean, surely their is some basis to views beyond, "this is what I believe." Why not just put them out there?
Hans-Werner Hammen

thrasymachus wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:39 pm Yes, very good Hans-Werner Hammen. But I fail to see the obstacle to simply reading the ideas set forth and responding to them. I mean, surely their is some basis to views beyond, "this is what I believe." Why not just put them out there?
Thank you, friend. Yes, we believe ("DEEM"), and other than correcting "their" ad "there" which I DEEM to be correct, I do not object.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:11 am
Atla wrote: January 5th, 2021, 11:32 pm All this objectification, subjectification, reification, presence, 'thing-ification'. Why do phenomenologists believe that there are separate phenomena, with relations between them? Nondualism looks at direct experience as well, but then immediately does away with such a priori illusions.
We subjectize some-thing via a perceiving-action
Again: human consciousness is representational (indirect realism), thing-ification is a way how the representation gets constructed. But fundamentally there is neither the subject, nor the objects within phenomena, nor are there things. Phenomenologists seem to believe that there are, but why would they fall for such basic illusions?

(btw I prefer to think without language, I don't care about the semantic triangle)
Hans-Werner Hammen

^The detectable ASSERTION - OF - the consciousness can be DEEMED to be - for an example representional.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:01 pm ^The detectable ASSERTION - OF - the consciousness can be DEEMED to be - for an example representional.
I said human consciousness itself is representational. It's just how it is.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

thras
Gertie wrote
I don't see the basis for the distinction. All of it, phenomena and reason, are just different types of experience. Along with emotion, memory, sensation, etc.

You are distinguishing between the experiencing of sensory perceptions (''phenomena'') and reason (''if...then'' which is generally consciously experienced as the thinky voice talking, using language, in our brain. In fact the ''if...then'' is based on the the behaviour of the phenomena we experience observing. The experience of reasoning about gravity making an apple fall is just as 'immediate' an experience as observing a green apple. All experience is immediate, THERE, unmediated, directly known - you can't have non-immediate experience.
Apologies for all the reading ahead. Such things are complex to me, and I don't have a "Twitter" regard for them.

Regarding "all experience is immediate": I want to say, you know this isn't true. The closest to "immediate" would be an infant in the cradle, but these "blooming and buzzing" (James) perceivers acknowledge nothing, understand nothing, and while they perceive, they do not understand. The simple event whereby one acknowledges a chair as a chair is a matter, not of perception, but apperception, as in the encounter, the chair does not intuitively proclaim it is a chair or that it is even there at all. These are interpretative acts made by time-constructed agencies, selves, that draws on a personal history whereby language was acquired and meanings generated. This takes time, and once one has run a course of being-in-the-world, then thought takes hold. A chair, to complete this line of thought, is not a simple object of mere presence. Concepts cannot stand alone in affirmation. A moment of particular awareness at all, no matter how simple the seeming, is implicitly crowded by background familiarity and education (a kind of implicit curriculum) that gives the world its sense of stability, and this is what we call reality, being, existence, not to put too fine a point on it. Those presences out there we refer to as stones and hills and "things" apart from this are otherwise entirely alien to us. Try to explain what a star is sans language.
To clarify how I see this, EVERY conscious experience, no matter what it is, is immediately known, because the content of conscious experience IS the experience. Experience is always about something, it can't be empty of content. Hence the 'Experiencer-Self' disappears when I sleep. IMO it's not lurking watching a darkened Cartesian stage, it just isn't there. Because the Self is no more or less than a manifestation of the sum of all experiencing.

The human sense of self is 'what it's like' to experience being a discrete, unified being with a first person pov (associated with a specific human body) located in space and time.

Evolution can offer an explanation for why we complex critters need some unifying experiential process, otherwise we'd be experiencing a cacophanous jumble of sights, sounds, memories, emotions, thoughts, sensations, etc every moment. Our experience would be useless in enabling us to navigate the world. It all has be integrated in coherent way.

So what we come to call a ''chair'' might first be experienced as shapes and colours and hardness or whatever. Later when we have experienced more about chairs, we will have associations which might also spring to mind (into conscious experience), like sitting, or emotion like 'phew' because I need a rest. (And we can in principle correlate those associations with neural connections which have previously formed, and come into consciousness as the connections are fired when I again encounter a chair).

It's all experience, completely immediate, unfiltered and known, because that's the nature of experiencing. But the way experience will manifest will change as I have knew encounters with chairs. Learning language enables a different type of experience, Including incorporating the thinky voice in my head which contemporaneously linguistically narrates my experience, helping to create an ongoing cohesive story of Me and my encounters with the external world. Including abstract reasoning. And communicating with others.
Including the sense of being a self - a discrete, unified being with a first person pov (correlated with a specific body) located in space and time. All of my experiencing adds up to this sense of being a discrete self. I can't observe that experience of being a self, because it too is experience. I can reflect about it as we are doing now. But that reflecting too is experience. There is no separate Experiencer Self watching the Cartesian Theatre play out, the sense of being a Self is itself a type of way that my experience manifests.
This I find very intriguing. Look at it like this: you say that "reflecting too is experience." How so?
See above. Maybe we just are using different definitions? I use ''experience'' to mean conscious 'what it's like' phenomenological experience. Not just sensory experience, but remembering, emotions, sensations, imagining, linguistic thinking - all of it. I think of them as different categories, manifestations or 'flavours' of the same thing - conscious experience. What do you mean by ''experience''? Do we need to agree working definitions?

Certainly, the reflection is on experience,

So I would say, reflection is the experience of thinking about something. Here it is experiencing thinking about experience :).

but when the gaze turns towards the egoic center, the center is lost to the gaze. And all that one can identify as experience does not qualify as the source of the observer: over here a memory, over there a pond with elephants, then something else, and on and on. What IS there about experience that makes the transient (elusive to observation) egoic center experiential in nature? Experience turning to experience and having an experience begs the question: what is exhibited in experience that satisfies the condition for the elusive "agency" (not to imply a transcendental agency, but simply that whcih perceives, thinks, and so on) that is having a relationship with objects?

Your position seems to be that the self is a composite of experiences, not just one (which would be absurd), but a body of resources that collectively turns its attention towards this and that.
Right.
There is most clearly something to this, for I have implicitly just argued for such a thing above when I defended the "thick" theory of individual perceptual events (apperception): what an object if not the a matrix of resources derived from experience, constituted by experience, and constituting the world?

I have a tangential issue with this. This type of wording looks to me like you're conflating knowledge with ontological existence. The cup might exist regardless of me experiencing its existence. I can't know. I can only directly know my experience exists, but that doesn't mean the external world of cups and trees and rocks doesn't exist. I just can't know. I can't know if the universe sprang into existence the moment I (or another conscious being) came into existence - but if so it popped up with a solid backstory!

I think this is where the argument finds its center, for if a self is a composite like this, then what is the content of this composite? Can it be that once this composite of experience is exhaustively put aside, there is nothing left?
Yes I think it looks that way. If you think about the simplest conscious experiencing creature, say a moth which can only experience change in light, then it's hard to imagine that moth has something humans like us would think of a sense of self, of apprehending itself as a Me. It looks to me like only complex conscious critters need some integrating/unifying process for all the different brain subsystems to be usefully coherent. And from this emerges a sense of being a discrete, unified self. Imo.
Then there are the functions, the rationality that not only deploys logic, but IS logic in its nature, the principle that holds all things together as "my this" and "belongs to me", these also are of the self.

Well I'd say it's the first person pov (what it's like') aspect of conscious experience which is key. That's what distinguishes Subject-Me-Here-Now from those objects over there. My view is rationality and logic are rooted in how we perceive the patterns in the world. We note something can't be in two places at once, we note 'causal' patterns and so on. This is evolutionarily useful in navigating the world. And eventually we have created a model which has 'rules of logic', physical laws, etc. But then we're stumped when we come across QM. Because that suggests particles can be in two places at once, can effect each other at a distance, that causality is just mathematical probability. We didn't evolve to perceive tiny particles, we evolved for utility, to safely navigate the world, we didn't need to see tiny particles or have the cognitive toolkit to understand things like action at a distance. So human logic and reason, like our ability to observe, is imo also limited and flawed. Utility based - good enough to get the evolutionary job done.

If I get alzheimers for example, and my brain gradually stops functioning properly, my reasoning will start to fail, along with memory and other functions which make up a coherent model of my world and my self, and the patterns of interactions between my self and the world. My model will change, I will still try to string a coherent story together, moment by moment, but I will look irrational to an observer. Without a properly functioning memory my sense of my own identity will change, more radically as brain functions decline. My sense of time, too, of how the world works, of what other people mean to me. All correlated to brain systems. That doesn't look like there is some infinite Self which happens to currently be inhabiting a finite deteriorating body. Or at least it doesn't suggest a need to invoke such a thing to me.
To consider what the self is, one takes inventory. The astounding part for me, and anyone, really, is that the agency in question cannot transcend the boundaries of agency. The moment I ask what I am, it is I that processes the question, and I do not have Archimedean position to "leverage" an answer. Its like logic asking what logic is, or the eye "seeing" the eye. One can never get "behind" the self, to grasp what it is, for grasping itself is a conditioning notion. This leaves us with the transcendence of the question, and this kind of question can only be resolved in apophatic philosophy.
I get the difficulty in trying to get a handle on this. But we do have a way. As I've outlined, if we look at brains and how they've evolved in our particular species, we have a very graspable explanation for why our particular species is the way it is. So what you're talking about is the human sense of self. Not the dog sense of self, or the monkey or moth. And the specific difficulty is to do with conscious experience. The body part of my self is not mysterious in this way, it's consciousness. The first person experiencing aspect of being a self. Which it's likely only highly complex evolved species, which need to integrate lots of subsystems, have evolved.

When you think of it this way, we can start of get a handle on the notion of self. If not an understanding of consciousious.

[I struggled with the infinity stuff you ended with, and have run out of steam. So I'll finish here for now.]
Hans-Werner Hammen

The experience (no-thing) is not being known ie not being experienced.
The experience is knowledge (no-thing) fabricated FROM/ABOUT some-thing.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Gertie wrote
To clarify how I see this, EVERY conscious experience, no matter what it is, is immediately known, because the content of conscious experience IS the experience. Experience is always about something, it can't be empty of content. Hence the 'Experiencer-Self' disappears when I sleep. IMO it's not lurking watching a darkened Cartesian stage, it just isn't there. Because the Self is no more or less than a manifestation of the sum of all experiencing.
This: "the Self is no more or less than a manifestation of the sum of all experiencing" says a lot. Lots of philosophers hate concepts like intuition because it implies something direct, unmediated, which is close to magical. Something truly direct reveals its essence simpliciter. But, and to me this is a rather profound "but," hermeneutics frees us from this altogether: everything is in interpretation. There is nothing of the "thing out there" that is present in the apperception of the thing. In fact, if Wittgenstein (not a phenomenologist...or is he??) is right, the constraints of logic and language entirely delimit an apprehension of a thing, abstract of otherwise. There is no logic "out there", no truth out there because there are no propositions out there and truth is propositional .Anyway, I got lost. The "but" regarding the self: A kind of nothingness? This perceiving "agency" that cannot identify with any particular witnessed object, what vanishes the moment attention tries to put itself "there": Wittgenstein, who gets it from Kierkegaard, who got it from Hegel, then from Kant) found this elusive self in fleeting time, in the middle of the future and the past where the past presses forward to claim the future through an anticipation (apperception). Such an interesting concept, for the self is, on the one hand, nothing but the content that flies forward, constructing a future, quite literally making reality. But when a Buddhist shuts down this machinery of reality construction, it is, the nothingness that reveals itself is just the opposite of nothingness: absolute fullness. Hindus talk like this, calling this "eternal present" Brahman. You have likely heard, the atman is the Brahman; well, Kierkegaard is all over this.

I thing the self's true nature rests with the meditative process of eradicating the, what to call it, the empirical/eidetic time-constructed self. This closes in on Husserl's epoche, which he and many others (see Steinbach's Mysticism and Phenomenology, partially online for free, I think) think open doors of extraordinary insight.
The human sense of self is 'what it's like' to experience being a discrete, unified being with a first person pov (associated with a specific human body) located in space and time.

Evolution can offer an explanation for why we complex critters need some unifying experiential process, otherwise we'd be experiencing a cacophanous jumble of sights, sounds, memories, emotions, thoughts, sensations, etc every moment. Our experience would be useless in enabling us to navigate the world. It all has be integrated in coherent way.
It is certainly safe to say that organizing critters beat out those that didn't in "choices" evolution made. But i have always had a problem with evolution as telling us much of anything, beyond, well, this works better than competitors. What works? Organizational skills with conceptual synthesizing functions? Yes, but evolution didn't make these, they simply were there, in the genetic accidents. They do match up with the occasion that "chooses" them, but the occasion does not define them, only chooses them. They are "made" out of the matrix of transcendental possibilities. Why I say transcendental is a long story.

So what we come to call a ''chair'' might first be experienced as shapes and colours and hardness or whatever. Later when we have experienced more about chairs, we will have associations which might also spring to mind (into conscious experience), like sitting, or emotion like 'phew' because I need a rest. (And we can in principle correlate those associations with neural connections which have previously formed, and come into consciousness as the connections are fired when I again encounter a chair).

It's all experience, completely immediate, unfiltered and known, because that's the nature of experiencing. But the way experience will manifest will change as I have knew encounters with chairs. Learning language enables a different type of experience, Including incorporating the thinky voice in my head which contemporaneously linguistically narrates my experience, helping to create an ongoing cohesive story of Me and my encounters with the external world. Including abstract reasoning. And communicating with others.
Most, I guess, think that thinky voice is a temporal construction, and there is no magical immediacy at all. When your eyes are there, fixed and clear, on the apple, it seems direct, but the understanding that is aware of it really "thick" with experience, or, axonal transmissions, if you like.

You say experience is "completely immediate" and there are many who agree. Consider: what you experience in your encounter with the apple is in time, and in the construction of the past moving into the future whereby the present becomes this anticipation, or, anxiety, dread. Existentialists think this the critical juncture of determining what a self is: the future is entirely unmade, a nothingness into which we move with only the anticipations of the past to ground the whole thing. Once you make the critical step to self awareness, you see that there is something IN this process that is not part of it, but stands apart from it, and this freedom. They are not talking about some break away from the principle of sufficient cause, which is a trivial thing, really, phenomenologically. It is about this realization that one is, if you will, playing a role, acting a part, being driven along by the past's anticipations that move fluidly into future actualities unconsciously, as if one were a thing.

If one can understand this, then one is fit for phenomenological/existential studies. There is not much interest in what physical science has to say here because the ontological foundation of the self lies in this structural center of awakening to one's freedom from the spontaneous production of thoughts, behavior, interests and so on, and science becomes a part of this "spontaneous production" from which one has become free. Perhaps you can see why there are religious existentialists, for it is a philosophy that puts full emphasis on the living event of a self. This is the foundation, for it is presupposed by all else. A scientist will say, behold, a new way to measure star distance. The existentialist will say, wiat: this is a self thinking and speaking antecedent to any observation about stars and the like. There are no stars unless the production of concepts, meaning, value "make" stars. Philosophy needs to look here at this structured self that is presupposed by science.

That may sound a bit weird to you, but it is one of the central thoughts to Heidegger's Being and Time, Sartre's Being and Nothingness, Kierkegaard's Concept of Anxiety, and many others.
See above. Maybe we just are using different definitions? I use ''experience'' to mean conscious 'what it's like' phenomenological experience. Not just sensory experience, but remembering,See above. Maybe we just are using different definitions? I use ''experience'' to mean conscious 'what it's like' phenomenological experience. Not just sensory experience, but remembering, emotions, sensations, imagining, linguistic thinking - all of it. I think of them as different categories, manifestations or 'flavours' of the same thing - conscious experience. What do you mean by ''experience''? Do we need to agree working definitions?
I was referring to reflection. When one is going about one's business, buying groceries, attending parties, whatever, one is not reflecting. One just goes along. Reflection begins with the question, the interruption. As to "remembering, emotions, sensations, imagining, linguistic thinking - all of it" I think these are all part of a composite self, but as to what the self could be, apart from these, this is the puzzle. After all, when I turn to reflect on my emotions, remembering and the rest, and hold them in view, I am still not the object of my attention, not the memory, not the imagined thing, but apart from this. This elusive self that tries to capture itself in a perception entirely resists being assimilated. One cannot go Cartesian and posit some res cogitans for this is just the same as assimilation: res cogitans is just another construction of ideas in our heads, composed out of familiar concepts like thought and being.
So I would say, reflection is the experience of thinking about something. Here it is experiencing thinking about experience
Sure it is thinking about something, but it is Middle English, from Latin reflectere to bend back. It is a second guessing of what is first encountered. Initiated by a question about something. It is this stopping, calling doubt into a thing, that first establishes distance between one annd the thing what would otherwise make an unproblematic claim on conscious affairs. This is the beginning of freedom.
I have a tangential issue with this. This type of wording looks to me like you're conflating knowledge with ontological existence. The cup might exist regardless of me experiencing its existence. I can't know. I can only directly know my experience exists, but that doesn't mean the external world of cups and trees and rocks doesn't exist. I just can't know. I can't know if the universe sprang into existence the moment I (or another conscious being) came into existence - but if so it popped up with a solid backstory!
Knowledge and existence: Huge issue, and I will have to control myself. What if I say the cup cannot exist without someone regarding it, because "regarding it" is by no means a passive event. The chair as a chair is made in the "in between" where, if you prefer physicalistic terms, brain meets things. Chair is "made" in the interface, and to even refer to a thing at all, or to anything that is supposed to be outside of this relationship. is to bring in the relationship, for "thing" is a concept first, and belongs to the matrix of world experience, logically structured.

Does this mean there is nothing "outside? Of course not. But very clearly, your understanding is not outside, and all that you know, are familiar with lies with the understanding.

As to the whether the cup appears only when perceived: if by cup your mean the transcendental something outside of words and logic, then it seems silly to think it is not there independently, it's just that when we remove an apperceiving agent, you remove all that you can say. And if I take your meaning, when you reencounter the thing, you being the sensation, the logic, the words into play again, then all of your explanations are there once again.

In phenomenology, it is epistemological ontology: What IS, is the knowing. There really are no things, but only the "thinging" of apprehending the thing, for at the level of philosophical ontology, there is no "to be" only "being" and there is no world, only "worlding". The absolute stability outside of the temporal anticipating of future events is utterly metaphysical.
Yes I think it looks that way. If you think about the simplest conscious experiencing creature, say a moth which can only experience change in light, then it's hard to imagine that moth has something humans like us would think of a sense of self, of apprehending itself as a Me. It looks to me like only complex conscious critters need some integrating/unifying process for all the different brain subsystems to be usefully coherent. And from this emerges a sense of being a discrete, unified self. Imo.
Microbiology, insects, animals: interesting question regarding how much they "experience" anything. But the "from this emerges" puts attention to evolution "choosing" as it did to eventually produce consciousness as we know it. I think this point very important because many think like this, as if to observe the fossil record, compare human craniums and organs to those lesser evolved would give any insight as to "what" experience is. The very most it could say is that such and such a organic feature was conducive to reproduction and/or survival better than competitors. But the actuality of consciousness itself simply issues from happy accidents in chromosomal structures. The brain is not a "survival organ". It is an organ that is good for survival.
Well I'd say it's the first person pov (what it's like') aspect of conscious experience which is key. That's what distinguishes Subject-Me-Here-Now from those objects over there. My view is rationality and logic are rooted in how we perceive the patterns in the world. We note something can't be in two places at once, we note 'causal' patterns and so on. This is evolutionarily useful in navigating the world. And eventually we have created a model which has 'rules of logic', physical laws, etc. But then we're stumped when we come across QM. Because that suggests particles can be in two places at once, can effect each other at a distance, that causality is just mathematical probability. We didn't evolve to perceive tiny particles, we evolved for utility, to safely navigate the world, we didn't need to see tiny particles or have the cognitive toolkit to understand things like action at a distance. So human logic and reason, like our ability to observe, is imo also limited and flawed. Utility based - good enough to get the evolutionary job done.

If I get alzheimers for example, and my brain gradually stops functioning properly, my reasoning will start to fail, along with memory and other functions which make up a coherent model of my world and my self, and the patterns of interactions between my self and the world. My model will change, I will still try to string a coherent story together, moment by moment, but I will look irrational to an observer. Without a properly functioning memory my sense of my own identity will change, more radically as brain functions decline. My sense of time, too, of how the world works, of what other people mean to me. All correlated to brain systems. That doesn't look like there is some infinite Self which happens to currently be inhabiting a finite deteriorating body. Or at least it doesn't suggest a need to invoke such a thing to me.
Much of this sounds about right to me. Only a fool would think there is no brain/mind correlation, or no evolutionary path in the emergence of the brain and its mind. If one stays the course and thinks like an empiricist through and through, then there is really no where to go from here. But then, at this point, one has not even begun to think philosophically.

First, keep in mind the argument above. It is not the case that a brain that is useful at solving survival and reproductive problems is therefore a "survival and reproductive" brain. Genetic mutation is not a Godlike teleology putting a thing to task. And I mean not at all, not in the least, any more than my arm is a sewing instrument because it can sew. It is free to do many things and sewing is one, and there is nothing of a "sewing nature" that defines what it is. Consider this reasoning as it applies to a brain. There is no evolutionary brain/mind. Such a thing grew into existence and incidentally was able to survive and reproduce better than competitors. Its nature is only what is revealed in an analysis of what is there.

Thus, rationality, memory and logic are not to be understood as evolutionary faculties. Reason is exactly as it appears to be, no more, no less. It is indeed very useful.

I consider this to be a rather important premise, and i t is not the kind of thing evolutionists take issue with for all know random mutations are entirely, by definition, arbitrary to practical purpose, or any purpose. They simply come into existence.

Second, this analysis of what is there at the level of basic questions is where philosophy begins. One simply has to put aside all extraneous discussions, for the point here is purely descriptive. That is what phenomenology is, famouly called the phenomenological reduction or epoche, by Husserl. Behold what lies before you as it presents itself. It is exactly what a scientist does: observation comes first. The self is simply there to be observed, but here, it is not an empirical observation, but an apriori observation, that is, structures in the conscious world. See the above account, first paragraph.
I get the difficulty in trying to get a handle on this. But we do have a way. As I've outlined, if we look at brains and how they've evolved in our particular species, we have a very graspable explanation for why our particular species is the way it is. So what you're talking about is the human sense of self. Not the dog sense of self, or the monkey or moth. And the specific difficulty is to do with conscious experience. The body part of my self is not mysterious in this way, it's consciousness. The first person experiencing aspect of being a self. Which it's likely only highly complex evolved species, which need to integrate lots of subsystems, have evolved.
I do see the strong temptation to refer the entire issue to evolution, but I have to say it does not avail here. Consider that an evolutionary process is about what is produced over millions of years, so the only way to understand what this is, is by examining it as it is, and to restrict analysis to "the things themselves" as Husserl put it (not Kantian thing in itself, note). This puts the theory of evolution in the same classification as any other science, and these are being put aside because what they do entirely presupposes the self that produces them with its logic and language and interpretative constitution. The two, empirical studies and phenomenology, for all sciences are simply an extension of the everyday way we have of relating to the world. Here, we are trying to understand the self, the agency that in the act of apprehending the world, conditions the world, constitutes it.
When you think of it this way, we can start of get a handle on the notion of self. If not an understanding of consciousious.
Not at all.
[I struggled with the infinity stuff you ended with, and have run out of steam. So I'll finish here for now.]
Well, it's the question of asking what finitude is. What is its nature? Why do we when stretching our thoughts and intuitions outward reach a limit? Look at it in strict physicalist terms: we reach a limit because we are a brain, and a brain has limits, obvious ones, like the physical boundaries of its mass. In fact, from an empirical scientist's pov, isn't this exactly what finitude is all about? Neil deGrasse Tyson would applaud! And he would likely retreat from the matter after this. Many post Heideggarian philosophers actually begin here.

It is a very hard matter to wrap you mind around, for understanding is getting familiar, and there is little familiarity on this. takes time and exposure. At any rate, all of the questions, the termination of inquiry at every turn at the basic level, the self referential, or, deferential nature of knowledge, the wonder one experiences looking up at the clear night sky: the awesome reality of eternity is revealed there, in all these things. It is why metaphysics is not inherently nonsense.

Finitude. How is it that finitude intrudes upon infinity? Cancels it? Surely, infinity is the reality, and finitude is the limitation of reality. Where is one, really? How does this openness impose itself on everyday affairs? And this is the real rub: If our finitude is "really" infinitude, then the brain that is finitely conceived is, actually an infinite brain, nd the self, housed within the brain, is actually infinite, as are all things. This certainly does not mean we understand what this is about, but it has to be understood that the brain is conceived and apperceived IN the mind/self FIRST. Indeed, that physical thing out there is never experienced at all.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream