Free will does not exist (Beware)

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Burning ghost

Re: Free will does not exist (Beware)

Post by Burning ghost »

RJG -

Says who? You miss the point. It is immoral, or rather you don’t believe in moral responsibility therefore you’re always correct and you can kill and maim people with a clear conscious because you make no “choices” because you don’t know what they are and think that is enough to say “I don’t know, therefore it’s a fallacy” rather than I could be wrong ... given that you’ve already declared “no choice” you cannot even do this therefore you’re a danger to the people around you.

You claim to follow “logic” so where does that little ditty fall down? Or do you make the non-choice and claim some hidden knowledge over everyone else?
AKA badgerjelly
RJG

Post by RJG »

Burning ghost wrote:You miss the point. It is immoral, or rather you don’t believe in moral responsibility therefore you’re always correct and you can kill and maim people with a clear conscious because you make no “choices” because you don’t know what they are and think that is enough to say “I don’t know, therefore it’s a fallacy” rather than I could be wrong ... given that you’ve already declared “no choice” you cannot even do this therefore you’re a danger to the people around you.
So is it your point here that free-will is 'true' because otherwise it would be immoral???
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

No. I am asking you if you could possibly be wrong. If you say no then I’d say that’s a very strange answer to give.

I never said anything about this or that being “true”.
AKA badgerjelly
RJG

Post by RJG »

Yes, it is possible that I could be wrong.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

How possible?
AKA badgerjelly
RJG

Post by RJG »

Well, if I had to take a 'guess', I would say definitely less than 0.01%
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I guess the bonus you have is not having to back up your claim because you didn’t make the “choice” in the first place. Convenient yet pointless in a debate.

Morally it simply doesn’t hold up as I’ve said before. You changed your position there at all?
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

personal incredulity has a less than 0.01% failure rate.
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

oh I mean greater, not less. If that wasn't obvious.
Unknown means unknown.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Burning ghost wrote:Morally it simply doesn’t hold up as I’ve said before.
You've got it backwards. Morality has nothing to do with the truth/falseness of free-will. Though, but without free-will, there can be no morality (moral responsibility).
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

RJG wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Burning ghost wrote:Morally it simply doesn’t hold up as I’ve said before.
You've got it backwards. Morality has nothing to do with the truth/falseness of free-will. Though, but without free-will, there can be no morality (moral responsibility).
Like I said, you can conveniently fall back on not having to be responsible for your actions. I never said morality dictates whether our choices ate illusionary or not only that if they’re not illusionary then insisting they are is immoral.

It is quite a simple logical sequence. If you’re wrong you’ve been a passenger to your own laziness. If I’m wrong it makes no difference. Morally speaking the logical way to live is as if you have free will.
AKA badgerjelly
Djacob7

Post by Djacob7 »

It's entirely possible that, even though free will doesn't exist, we can pretend that it does. That's what Yuval Harari calls "human stories." A murderer just has bad luck, just as a billionaire has just been lucky.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Djacob7 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 11:15 pm It's entirely possible that, even though free will doesn't exist, we can pretend that it does. That's what Yuval Harari calls "human stories." A murderer just has bad luck, just as a billionaire has just been lucky.
This is what gets me. It is the absolutism of the position. You cannot know that it doesn’t exist. If you hold to the idea that free will doesn’t exist (as in making choices in life) then it simply leaning toward fatalism of some kind, nihilism and shifting toward a life where what you do and say doesn’t matter or make a difference. It is vacuous to live such a life - or rather such a “life” is not a life at all, it is to live denying your own limit choices in your own life.

As a item of contemplation I have nothing against this. As a foundation for human meaning ... well, it is anti-human; at least in part. What seems to be truer is that we’re born making choices and doing this or that, having this or that thought, and that someone taking your kind of line of thinking is the one “pretending” not everyone else. This is not to say you’re correct or incorrect (because we don’t know), but it is apparent, to me at least, that morally speaking it is wrong to assume what you does has no effect on yourself or anyone else and that your life is preset. To add it’s also wrong to assume that everything you do and think has an effect on everyone and everything - both are the first steps to apathy, intolerance and eventually a nihilistic catatonia or violent anarchism unbound by any consequences of action (because one either gives up or stops caring about anything).

It is amazing that we exist. Nothing that we’ve learnt about nature points toward a clockwork universe and we’ve no idea if our consciously perceived choices are really fully dictated by conscious thought or not. We most certainly do know that we consciously feel authorship, and we also know that we can be fooled into feeling authorship for our choices when we’re actually not the origin but more of a consequence. Even so, consciousness exists and confused, puzzled or fooled as it often is or isn’t we are able to view consciousness in an “as if” sense and think and understand that we can feel one thing that contradicts the facts.

As a simple hypothetical take this one ... you can save a million children by assuming free will exists or let them die in agony. Or you can save a million children by assuming free will doesn’t exist or let them die in agony.

If you act like you have free will then the choice is easy in both cases. If you adhere to either one or the other dogmatically then you lack the ability to make any meaningful moral choice.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Djacob7 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 11:15 pm It's entirely possible that, even though free will doesn't exist, we can pretend that it does. That's what Yuval Harari calls "human stories." A murderer just has bad luck, just as a billionaire has just been lucky.
"entirely possible"? You've got several errors within your three sentences. Firstly, you overstate the certainty of the non-existence of free will. It may not exist, but everyone's personal experience is consistent with a universe where it does. Arguments against it are purely theoretical and unproven. IMO even if it doesn't exist, that "fact" will never be proven.

And since the observable universe of animal/human behavior acts as if free will exists, the level of luck vs choice in the murdrrer and billionaire should also be observed and commented upon from the perspective of within that universe.
"As usual... it depends."
Djacob7

Post by Djacob7 »

Burning ghost said:
"If you hold to the idea that free will doesn’t exist (as in making choices in life) then it simply leaning toward fatalism of some kind, nihilism and shifting toward a life where what you do and say doesn’t matter or make a difference. It is vacuous to live such a life - or rather such a “life” is not a life at all, it is to live denying your own limit choices in your own life."

Choices are made, but they're made by incredible, unimaginably complex beings such as snails and humans, all functioning automatically, after millions of years of honing their perfections garnered by evolution.
To assume that only humans make choices is a bit anthropocentric because all creatures are constantly making choices as in fight or flight, which mate to pursue, etc.
You're right that it's impossible to prove free will doesn't exist, because one cannot prove a negative. You can't prove unicorns don't exist.
But it can be shown how the assumption of free will leads to ridiculous absurdities such as:
1) Only humans have free will.
2) At what age does free will show up?
3) What percentage of our waking hours are spent exercising our free will?
4) Does free will have degrees?
5) Do we relinquish our free will by choice?
6) Do we have free will over blinking and breathing?
These are only some of the questionable questions that arise at the moment, and many more could be brought up with careful thought.
The lack of free will doesn't of itself lead to nihilism and meaninglessness. On the contrary: It's totally amazing to witness ones own abilities and those of others.
Yes, life itself operates like a clock, but a magnificent one.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream