Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Reasons to be cheerful ?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Georgeanna

Reasons to be cheerful ?

Post by Georgeanna » November 3rd, 2018, 7:39 am

As an antidote to all the negativity, the violence we are hearing about via usual media outlets, I thought what about being more creative - taking a look at positive aspects of life and society ?

So, first reason to be cheerful...perhaps...

'Civic engagement is on the rise'.
What about ? Toilet gender issues ?

[ I found the reasonstobecheerful site after a google about prisons and rehabilitation, another thread. ]

I had another look to see if there were any other reasons to be cheerful, as a way to counterbalance a lot of recent hate-filled politics.
Of course, I still have politics on my mind, so my eye was drawn to this article. The writer is nonpartisan whose wish is to increase voters' knowledge about all candidates and to encourage voting with this in mind. It seems like a good idea - but how effective is it ?
During the 2016 presidential election, I went to Charlotte, North Carolina to do some get out the vote work. Granted, I could afford to do this on my own dime, and not everyone can go to a swing state. I determined that my work had to be nonpartisan. I wanted to help folks commit to voting and also to know a little bit about the records of the candidates who were running.

Charlotte is where the toilet gender issue blew up—I was not there because of that.

What’s interesting is how much weight and importance those cultural and social issues have for people. People will vote against their own best interests if they agree with a candidate on toilets, abortion, gay rights or prayer in schools, for example.

I carefully avoided engaging on those issues, mostly I just wanted folks to inform themselves and vote.

https://www.reasonstobecheerful.world/a ... n-8th-2018

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Re: Reasons to be cheerful ?

Post by Steve3007 » November 3rd, 2018, 7:48 am

Ian Dury famously gave us plenty of them. One of my favourite is:

Saying hokey-dokey, Sing Along With Smokey
Coming out of chokey

Wee Willie Harris too. He's still alive at 85. That's a reason to be cheerful.

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » November 3rd, 2018, 7:53 am

Reasons to be cheerful, part 3:

That article you cited was written by David Byrne. His existence is also a reason to be cheerful.

Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna » November 3rd, 2018, 8:36 am

To Steve3007

Yes, I remember the Dury song. You missed out being in the nuddy, wearing yellow socks, something nice to study ?!

What is it about David Byrne and Wee Willie Harris that cheers you up, other than their being alive ?

Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna » November 3rd, 2018, 9:10 am

Dirty carrots.
Lentils.
Belinda's recipe for dal.

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » November 3rd, 2018, 12:14 pm

What is it about David Byrne and Wee Willie Harris that cheers you up, other than their being alive ?
David Byrne is artistically and visually interesting. Wee Willie Harris is just alive and still rocking at 85.

Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna » November 3rd, 2018, 2:26 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 12:14 pm
David Byrne is artistically and visually interesting. Wee Willie Harris is just alive and still rocking at 85.
God, sometimes it's like pulling teeth with you :roll:
Hmmm...that might just be a reason to be cheerful...

Open wide...this won't hurt a bit.

Trust me, I'm a tree surgeon.

Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias » November 5th, 2018, 1:52 am

The larches are just turning gold. No way you can look at an autumn larch and not smile.

Strauss.

Nuthatches.

Fuzzy blankets.

Spinach.

That curse has finally come true: we live in interesting times.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » November 5th, 2018, 3:36 am

Every minute of every day is a gift. The corollary to this idea is that no matter how bad you think things are, things are much worse for someone else.
"As usual... it depends."

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » November 5th, 2018, 4:20 am

I read an article the other day which suggested people have a kind of happiness equilibrium and it doesn't really matter what happens to them (within reason) they will return to the same level of happiness over time.
So you should be happy if you are happy
Unknown means unknown.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » November 5th, 2018, 5:08 am

It appears most of the posts above don’t make me “cheerful” at all. I don’t find inane platitudes to be much use in philosophical discourse because they avoid problems and try and dress up difficulties as problems to be avoided rather than as challenges to be taken on.

So is my post “negative” or a I justified to call some of the posts above mine vapid?

Personally I think my post is a “positive” one because it is one that offers critique, doesn’t assert anything other than my opinion, and will hopefully be seen as stimulating an engaging discussion rather than sharing my whimsical thoughts and personal tastes as if they are somehow more significant than pressing societal changes and the constant shifting landscape of politcal discourse.

If none of that is fitting then, I love brie, walking allne in forests, staring at the moon, reading books and listening to people chat in languages I don’t understand ;)

(Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour apoarently :D)
AKA badgerjelly

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » November 5th, 2018, 5:52 am

BG you don't like brie?
Unknown means unknown.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » November 5th, 2018, 5:56 am

I LOVE brie!
AKA badgerjelly