Are we forced to accept moral relativism?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
GE Morton

Re: Are we forced to accept moral relativism?

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: August 16th, 2019, 6:21 am
GE Morton wrote: August 15th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Really? "The sky is blue" is a true empirical statement (it is true at the moment, where I am). Upon what subjective criteria does that statement depend? How about, "Paris is the capital of France?"
The sky is blue is a subjective evaluation.
That doesn't answer the question. Upon what subjective criteria does that statement depend?
Paris is the capital of France is true only within the frame of consensus or dictakt in France and among nations, historically and ongoing.
You're offering conditions which must be satisfied in order for a city to become a capital. They don't bear on whether a city is a capital. It is the capital if it is the place where most government departments have their main offices, where the Assembly sits, where the top government officials reside, etc., which are empirical questions.

What must happen for a tree to grow 10 meters tall has no bearing on whether the tree is 10 meters tall. We can know the tree is 10 meters tall without knowing anything about how it got that tall.

Nor does your answer state what subjective criteria are involved in that statement.

You seem to be saying that many propositions are true only within a certain context. That is true, but that doesn't make them subjective; it only makes them context-dependent.

This argument really depends upon the definitions of "objective" and subjective" you are assuming. Can you spell those out?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The sky is blue is a subjective evaluation.
That doesn't answer the question. Upon what subjective criteria does that statement depend?
At your age you are expected to think this out for yourself.
Paris is the capital of France is true only within the frame of consensus or dictakt in France and among nations, historically and ongoing.
You're offering conditions which must be satisfied in order for a city to become a capital. They don't bear on whether a city is a capital. It is the capital if it is the place where most government departments have their main offices, where the Assembly sits, where the top government officials reside, etc., which are empirical questions.
It's better to learn from other's ideas than to clutch at straws.
What must happen for a tree to grow 10 meters tall has no bearing on whether the tree is 10 meters tall. We can know the tree is 10 meters tall without knowing anything about how it got that tall.
So you don't know what history means. That is a pity but I am not here to teach slow learners.
Nor does your answer state what subjective criteria are involved in that statement.

You seem to be saying that many propositions are true only within a certain context. That is true, but that doesn't make them subjective; it only makes them context-dependent.
The context is social reality, except when it's a particular and specific universe of discourse, such as botany, or arboriculture, in the case of trees.
This argument really depends upon the definitions of "objective" and subjective" you are assuming. Can you spell those out?
You do it .
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: August 16th, 2019, 11:51 am
At your age you are expected to think this out for yourself.

It's better to learn from other's ideas than to clutch at straws.

So you don't know what history means. That is a pity but I am not here to teach slow learners.
Evasions and ad hominems? I expected better from you.
You do it .
I've given my definitions, several times. I obviously can't give yours, and, apparently, neither can you.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Evasions and ad hominems? I expected better from you.
Thanks GE Morton. However I am not your instructor and you should understand common ideas . I suspect you can but prefer to be cantankerous.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: August 16th, 2019, 2:28 pm
However I am not your instructor and you should understand common ideas.
Your ideas of the meanings of "objective" and "subjective" --- to the extent I can make them out --- are hardly common. They seem to be underlain or infused with various metaphysical/epistemological assumptions, probably derived from Heidegger and his followers, which are incoherent and nonsensical. In any case, they are certainly not the meanings found in common dictionaries.

So if you want to use them in that way you'd be well advised to examine the assumptions upon which they rest --- which I suspect you're not willing to do, because much of the rest of your weltanschauung depends upon them, and you are loathe to subject that to scrutiny.

Of course, I'm only guessing as to those meanings, and if you're unwilling to spell them out, this discussion is idle. Arguments cannot be resolved, or fruitful, without agreement on terminology.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

GE Morton wrote: August 14th, 2019, 7:54 pm
Greta wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Okay, I'll answer your silly question. Why can't we each experience all of the universe?
Well, first that was not my question. You have a bad habit of re-writing or "re-interpreting" questions asked of you, or statements you are challenging, and evading the actual question or statement. My question was, How do you know of this "reality" which you claim is beyond experience? Which you still have not answered.
You asked me what in the universe is unknowable and I said "most of it" and you disputed it. So I replied.

I did not re-write it, I have been clarifying your misinterpretation. Since you cannot know everything about anything, and everything is related, then you are left with relativities. No escape.

As you say, you can gain other people's opinions, but they have the same limitations. So you have a situation of the blind asking the blind for directions and, because they corroborate, they assume they are correct.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Greta wrote: August 16th, 2019, 5:16 pm
GE Morton wrote: August 14th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Well, first that was not my question. You have a bad habit of re-writing or "re-interpreting" questions asked of you, or statements you are challenging, and evading the actual question or statement. My question was, How do you know of this "reality" which you claim is beyond experience? Which you still have not answered.
You asked me what in the universe is unknowable and I said "most of it" and you disputed it. So I replied.
No, Greta. That is NOT what I asked. Here is what I asked:

Greta: "Most of the universe is a reality can't be experienced."

Me: "Then how can you possibly know of its existence? What is the basis for that claim?"

In a previous post you wrote, "In broader reality, beyond just the human, for those who prefer to think philosophically than obediently following partisan lines, actual reality is obviously only accessible to us as a filtered interpretation, not in its entirety."

One may ask the same question with regard to that one, to wit, "How do you know of this 'actual reality,' if it is 'beyond the human,' beyond experience?"
I did not re-write it, I have been clarifying your misinterpretation.
I'm sure any reader will be able to see that you DID re-write it. I did NOT ask, "What in the universe is unknowable?" I asked, "How do you know of this 'reality' which cannot be experienced?" The only misinterpretation here is yours.

An answer to the actual question asked would be appreciated.
As you say, you can gain other people's opinions, but they have the same limitations. So you have a situation of the blind asking the blind for directions and, because they corroborate, they assume they are correct.
Well, you're right on that point, in a sense. Everyone's knowledge is limited by what can be experienced. But if we're all "blind," I wonder if, or how, we can claim to know anything, or what you would count as "sighted."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GE Morton wrote: August 16th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Belindi wrote: August 16th, 2019, 2:28 pm
However I am not your instructor and you should understand common ideas.
Your ideas of the meanings of "objective" and "subjective" --- to the extent I can make them out --- are hardly common. They seem to be underlain or infused with various metaphysical/epistemological assumptions, probably derived from Heidegger and his followers, which are incoherent and nonsensical. In any case, they are certainly not the meanings found in common dictionaries.

So if you want to use them in that way you'd be well advised to examine the assumptions upon which they rest --- which I suspect you're not willing to do, because much of the rest of your weltanschauung depends upon them, and you are loathe to subject that to scrutiny.

Of course, I'm only guessing as to those meanings, and if you're unwilling to spell them out, this discussion is idle. Arguments cannot be resolved, or fruitful, without agreement on terminology.
Okay then I will, as well as I can but I can't promise anything great. My notion of 'subjective' is it's 1. a fact of life 2. Without subjective perspectives intelligent living things could not learn and evolve individually and culturally. 3.Subjectivity is probably a fact that all intelligent living things default to, while objectivity is a goal peculiar to scientists and suchlike , sceptical attitude helps objectivity. 4. I should not conflate objective and absolute.

I can't say anything about Heidegger as I don't understand him.

You?
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: August 17th, 2019, 5:56 am
My notion of 'subjective' is it's 1. a fact of life 2. Without subjective perspectives intelligent living things could not learn and evolve individually and culturally. 3.Subjectivity is probably a fact that all intelligent living things default to, while objectivity is a goal peculiar to scientists and suchlike , sceptical attitude helps objectivity. 4. I should not conflate objective and absolute.
Well, those (ostensible) facts about subjectivity are not definitions of "subjective." A definition of a term tells us what the term denotes, with sufficient clarity and precision to allow us to recognize instances of it when encountered. Without a definition we can't tell whether any of your 4 propositions are true or not.

Here are the relevant dictionary definitions:

OBJECTIVE: 1b : of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind

SUBJECTIVE: 3a : characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind : PHENOMENAL

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subjective

If we assume the dictionary definition of "subjective" then your proposition 2 is surely false. Learning presupposes that there is something to learn that is independent of our own minds, something that is "perceptible by all observers," per the definition of "objective."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GEM, I note your dictionary references.
Felix

Post by Felix »

GE Morton said: Learning presupposes that there is something to learn that is independent of our own minds, something that is "perceptible by all observers," per the definition of "objective."
You've torpedoed your own argument because moral precepts obviously do not have "reality independent of the mind."
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Felix wrote: August 18th, 2019, 2:59 pm
GE Morton said: Learning presupposes that there is something to learn that is independent of our own minds, something that is "perceptible by all observers," per the definition of "objective."
You've torpedoed your own argument because moral precepts obviously do not have "reality independent of the mind."
Obviously they do. That Alfie stole Bruno's car or broke his arm are objective facts, verifiable by all observers. That those acts harmed Bruno are also objective facts, verifiable by all observers. If one agrees that an aim of moral rules is to prevent or minimize harms to moral agents, then "Alfie ought not steal Bruno's car or break his arm" is a prima facie prescriptive truth, also verifiable by all observers. It follows directly from the stated aim.
Felix

Post by Felix »

"Reality independent of the mind" refers to objective truths such as mathematical equations, not to relative facts that are dependent upon public consensus and subjective evidence such as what is or not considered moral or whether someone committed a crime.
GE Morton: That those acts harmed Bruno are also objective facts, verifiable by all observers.
Yes, I understand that you believe public consensus should rule whether or not Bruno was harmed, his opinion on the matter is irrelevant, and you call this "objective" knowledge.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GE Morton wrote:
Obviously they do. That Alfie stole Bruno's car or broke his arm are objective facts, verifiable by all observers. That those acts harmed Bruno are also objective facts,
Or not. As a matter of fact Alfie was the unwitting victim of an evil witch who had caused a mischievous spirit to control Alfie. It was the witch who stole Bruno's car and broke his arm.

That those acts harmed Bruno are objective is only a 'fact' because the circumstances are so few when getting his car stolen and his arm broken would be to his benefit. Let us not confuse probability with possibility.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Felix wrote: August 19th, 2019, 1:35 am "Reality independent of the mind" refers to objective truths such as mathematical equations . . .
No, it does not. It refers to states of affairs--- "sensible experience" --- perceptible by all observers, as the definition states. You're substituting your own definition for the one given.
. . . not to relative facts that are dependent upon public consensus and subjective evidence such as what is or not considered moral or whether someone committed a crime.
Neither of the facts I cited depend upon any consensus, other than a consensus on the meanings of the words involved. It is stipulated that the crime occurred and that harm resulted, i.e., that the evidence for them is conclusive and incontrovertible.
Yes, I understand that you believe public consensus should rule whether or not Bruno was harmed, his opinion on the matter is irrelevant, and you call this "objective" knowledge.
There is no consensus involved there. If Bruno's welfare was reduced by Alfie's acts, he was harmed, by definition. And Bruno's opinion is indeed relevant. If he says Alfie's act did not reduce his welfare, then it didn't. He may forgive the theft (it was still a theft, by definition). But since we know Bruno invested time, money, effort to acquire the car we can assume it did contribute to his welfare, until he tells us otherwise.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream