Gender self identification, a mentally ill concept?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Gender self identification, a mentally ill concept?

Post by Sy Borg »

Sticking the nose into the business of people you will never know or meet ... a mentally ill concept?

Not mentally ill, no, it's just a bit neurotic to be a busybody, to pry without regard of the hurt that prying may cause. Asking them questions would seem a better way to understand than to make assumptions. Why not ask transpeople what they were thinking if you are curious? What's happening here is a bit like white people getting together to discuss whether black people are fully human.

It always helps to encounter the real thing because the most striking thing that always occurs is you realise that they are just other people.

We are not all the same. Live and let live.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 20th, 2019, 7:01 pm Mental illness has lots of prejudices going against it. If you can deny your illness and say everything is fine then you can escape the prejudices that come along with mental illness.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel here a bit.
I think someone defending the Soviet policy that incarcerated dissidents on mental health grounds used the same argument.
Since you seem to claim to be an empiricist, and assert that sexuality is a choice, I have a proposition for you:

Simply try to be gay for a week. Go out to some gay bars and get laid. You might enjoy it. After a week chose to be straight again.
You shall have proven your thesis.
Let us all know how you get on.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Felix wrote: May 20th, 2019, 8:24 pm Empiricist-Bruno: "So a person can self identify to a gender other then the one in which they physically appear to others at birth." ... "I love people who say that their sexuality is their own choice"

In your first statement, you say that those who exercise free choice by choosing their own sexual identity are mentally ill, and yet in your second statement you say, "you love people who say their sexuality is their own choice."

Does this mean that you love people who are mentally ill? Presumably this includes yourself?
I think what is going on here is more like; "Anyone who diverts from a strict single-gender heterosexuality must be insane.", ignoring the implication that the thesis would have to involve that choice too.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Greta, you seem to have concluded, I don't know how, that I am not a Transexual leaping frog. Good for you. But what if I am?
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 21st, 2019, 6:25 am Greta, you seem to have concluded, I don't know how, that I am not a Transexual leaping frog. Good for you. But what if I am?
Indeed, and you can't choose to be one either, which is the whole point.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Actually, it's not unusual for frogs to change their gender in response to environmental cues or stressors, e.g., exposure to certain pesticides or being kissed by a princess - whom of course is a queen who has not yet been crowned. It appears that the same pesticides can have a similar effect on humans, but the amorous advances of princesses may not - at least not prior to coronation.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 21st, 2019, 6:25 am Greta, you seem to have concluded, I don't know how, that I am not a Transexual leaping frog. Good for you. But what if I am?
I doubt it. The transsexuals I met at work were bright and would seem unlikely to make a statement that silly. I don't think you are a frog either because the French tend towards sophistication and, again, would not ask such a silly question.

Oh, that kind of frog? Well they can't post on forums due to limiting morphology, so if you claim to be a frog that would be even sillier.

Do you have a non-silly point to make or is this just a spot of kitten-kicking? It's always terrific fun to gang up and attack the powerless and reviled with invalid attacks based on complete ignorance, don't you think?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Greta (to Empiricist-Bruno) - "Do you have a non-silly point to make?"

Apparently not because he has yet to make one, i.e., a sensible point.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Empiricist-Bruno

Greta wrote: May 21st, 2019, 4:33 pm
I doubt it. The transsexuals I met at work were bright and would seem unlikely to make a statement that silly. I don't think you are a frog either because the French tend towards sophistication and, again, would not ask such a silly question.

Oh, that kind of frog? Well they can't post on forums due to limiting morphology, so if you claim to be a frog that would be even sillier.

Do you have a non-silly point to make or is this just a spot of kitten-kicking? It's always terrific fun to gang up and attack the powerless and reviled with invalid attacks based on complete ignorance, don't you think?
In my experience, people who are quick to notice and high light silliness in others glorify silliness. I guess I should thank you but no, I don't think I make silly points, and so I am perplexed. Maybe I should get myself checked? Maybe I am feeding myself from a mentally ill concept? Well, that would explain my interest in that question. Or maybe I am under a gaz lighting attempt? What are you trying to do, Greta?

Animals have spokespersons. As a frog, a leaping frog, I maybe speaking to you through my interpreter who has the required morphology to be online. Why this urge to characterize all that I say as silly? You hate frogs? You eat frog legs?

A leaping frog on the internet is unlikely to achieve much in terms of ganging up to attack others whether the attacks are valid or not. All of a sudden, I am picking up silliness from you! But no, that can't be it, it must be something else I don't know.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 10:35 am
Greta wrote: May 21st, 2019, 4:33 pm

In my experience, people who are quick to notice and high light silliness in others glorify silliness. I guess I should thank you but no, I don't think I make silly points, and so I am perplexed. Maybe I should get myself checked? Maybe I am feeding myself from a mentally ill concept? Well, that would explain my interest in that question. Or maybe I am under a gaz lighting attempt? What are you trying to do, Greta?

Animals have spokespersons. As a frog, a leaping frog, I maybe speaking to you through my interpreter who has the required morphology to be online. Why this urge to characterize all that I say as silly? You hate frogs? You eat frog legs?

A leaping frog on the internet is unlikely to achieve much in terms of ganging up to attack others whether the attacks are valid or not. All of a sudden, I am picking up silliness from you! But no, that can't be it, it must be something else I don't know.
I'm guessing that your challenge to chose to be gay for a week failed, or you were too scared to try?
Empiricist-Bruno

You find it scary to try to do something you have no willingness to do?

I guess if you did it, it might reveal that you have no choice, you cannot go where you will draws you.

Again, the discussion as to whether we have or do not have freedom of choice is a question that is beyond the scope of what I intended for this thread. So, I won't go into that. Feel free to discuss it with others. There are a number of terrible threads on that subject too. If you look for them, I am sure you will find them.

What I am getting from this thread is that many people feel stongly about their own views and this seems to preclude the possibility of any worthwhile discussion on the topic. They will just egg you, rightly or wrongly. Taboos do exists today, and I am finding that I have touched on such a subject here. Leaving the veil undisturbed may or may not be the right thing to do, I wonder.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Felix wrote: May 16th, 2019, 2:29 am
I think you are giving cultural influence far more weight than it merits, surely biology has a lot to do with whether one is attracted to men or women. If it didn't, I doubt that we'd have a problem with overpopulation.
No, I don't. I clearly stated that this was what gender theory advocates, but that I don't buy it.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: May 24th, 2019, 9:29 pm You find it scary to try to do something you have no willingness to do?

I guess if you did it, it might reveal that you have no choice, you cannot go where you will draws you.

Again, the discussion as to whether we have or do not have freedom of choice is a question that is beyond the scope of what I intended for this thread. So, I won't go into that. Feel free to discuss it with others. There are a number of terrible threads on that subject too. If you look for them, I am sure you will find them.

What I am getting from this thread is that many people feel stongly about their own views and this seems to preclude the possibility of any worthwhile discussion on the topic. They will just egg you, rightly or wrongly. Taboos do exists today, and I am finding that I have touched on such a subject here. Leaving the veil undisturbed may or may not be the right thing to do, I wonder.
So that's a yes, then. You can't meet the challenge.
Empiricist-Bruno

Sculptor1,

You know I am a moderator here? This means I have the capacity to go in any one of your posts and modify it or delete it. I don't have the power to do this however because you follow the rules and I am accountable. But to dare me or challenge me that I can't do it because you think it can't be done since you can't do a similar thing yourself is puzzling to me.

I guess h_k_s has put his finger on the matter when he warned about sophists earlier in this thread.
Brainologifer
New Trial Member

Post by Brainologifer »

Bruno, have you taken the time to study mental illness and independently establish the borders of its legitimacy as a category? Have you also consciously rejected alternatives to its legitimacy in application to this subject, or has your perspective - whose political implications are potentially unjustly persecutory on a global scale - been hastily established without diligent adherence to such a process? I believe your view is shared reflexively by those whose independent thought processes are less developed, on account of social pressure to be gender-conforming. How would you distinguish your view from one motivated by social pressure?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream