What fallacy is this?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
musicgold
New Trial Member

What fallacy is this?

Post by musicgold »

Hi,
I am trying to determine the logical fallacy committed by B in the following argument. I think it is circular reasoning but I am not sure. Or is B using God's will as a justification to another problem potentially arising from God's will?

A: How could a fair God create such an unjust world?

B: This world is not the final world. This world is like an examination hall, and God is testing us to see who is good and who is evil, and that's why it is not a fair world. God gives here everyone a separate test. Finally, after the day of judgement, God admits only good people to his eternal, beautiful, and just world.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: What fallacy is this?

Post by Terrapin Station »

I wouldn't say it's a fallacy. It's not really presenting an argument. Fallacies are only relevant to arguments, and arguments need at least loosely and/or at least implicity to have premises and a conclusion that supposedly follows from the premises. This doesn't. It's just painting a picture of something the person believes is the case.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

musicgold wrote: March 5th, 2020, 2:17 pm Hi,
I am trying to determine the logical fallacy committed by B in the following argument. I think it is circular reasoning but I am not sure. Or is B using God's will as a justification to another problem potentially arising from God's will?

B: This world is not the final world. This world is like an examination hall, and God is testing us to see who is good and who is evil, and that's why it is not a fair world. God gives here everyone a separate test. Finally, after the day of judgement, God admits only good people to his eternal, beautiful, and just world.
This is the "problem of evil" question.

If such a being was only ALL-good, and everything but itself is created by him/it is all of Totality, then "evil" is its own creation.

If you point these out to this person and then, given their response above, ask why God would create a being with a 'choice' to be both good and evil by his own creation but then discriminate against those who actually use their power of 'choice' to choose against its own ideal?

"Fallacies" don't need a label but are just common patterns that many people collected over time. Most are conditional for being inductive. When you asked the above question, you left this person with an escape for not being completely exhaustive of all worlds including God's ownersip of them all. So you need to be sure how you ask the question in a way that is more universal to the religious person's meaning of 'good' and 'evil'. To most, 'God' IS ONLY 'Good' and where the term "God" comes from. You have to ask him where 'evil' came from distinct from this original 'superior' being if it is NOT of it.

Since we cannot link here, look up "Problem of Evil" in a search engine.
phenomenal_graffiti
Favorite Philosopher: George Berkeley

Post by phenomenal_graffiti »

The Problem of Evil in regard to an all-good God is based on the belief that God---as the Bible implies---created everything with absolutely nothing left out, including evil.

The conundrum, if one believes or accepts this for sake of argument lies in the question of how an all-good God could deliberately create evil.

The simple answer is that logically, an all-good God would never deliberately create or allow evil to exist for any reason, even for the sake of free will.

Therefore, if:

1. God exists

2. Is all-good such that He would not deliberately create evil for any reason

3. Is all-good such that He would not deliberately create evil for any reason yet at the same time did create everything without exception, including evil...

The seeming logical contradiction is solved by positing that God creates by imagining things into existence (using his own first-person subjective experience as the substance of everything and every person that shall ever exist) and that evil exists because it is non-deliberately created by God when God is in a state of non-lucid dreaming.

Evil cannot exist when God is awake, thus the current world and every evil act that shall ever exists occurs because God is currently non-lucidly dreaming.
We are currently living within the mind of Jesus Christ as he is currently being crucified. One may think there is no God, or if one believes in God, one thinks one lives outside the mind of Christ in a post-crucifixion present.

In other news...
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

B sounds like a middle school level rationalization attempt to reconcile the way things are and the way some Iron Age religions suppose they should be. Technically possible but such an inelegant and clunky "solution".
"As usual... it depends."
musicgold
New Trial Member

Post by musicgold »

Terrapin Station wrote: March 5th, 2020, 5:22 pm I wouldn't say it's a fallacy. It's not really presenting an argument. Fallacies are only relevant to arguments, and arguments need at least loosely and/or at least implicity to have premises and a conclusion that supposedly follows from the premises. This doesn't. It's just painting a picture of something the person believes is the case.
Can we not arrange B's statement into the following argument?

Premise 1: God wants to admit only good people to his ultimate fair world.
Premise 2: God tests people to judge their character.
Premise 3: God uses this world as an examination hall to test people for their qualities
and therefore,
Conclusion: this world was not created to before fair to everyone.

Having restated the argument like this, this seems like a valid argument. The premises however are unproven so this is not a sound argument.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

musicgold wrote: March 6th, 2020, 11:13 am
Terrapin Station wrote: March 5th, 2020, 5:22 pm I wouldn't say it's a fallacy. It's not really presenting an argument. Fallacies are only relevant to arguments, and arguments need at least loosely and/or at least implicity to have premises and a conclusion that supposedly follows from the premises. This doesn't. It's just painting a picture of something the person believes is the case.
Can we not arrange B's statement into the following argument?

Premise 1: God wants to admit only good people to his ultimate fair world.
Premise 2: God tests people to judge their character.
Premise 3: God uses this world as an examination hall to test people for their qualities
and therefore,
Conclusion: this world was not created to before fair to everyone.

Having restated the argument like this, this seems like a valid argument. The premises however are unproven so this is not a sound argument.
Yeah I suppose that would work (though I'd want to confirm it with the guy who would have said the text in the first post). And I agree that it wouldn't be fallacious in that case.
Pandora
New Trial Member

Post by Pandora »

It seems to be an attempt of objecting the existence of injustice by the way of ascribing the fact of observing the world as unjust (unfair) to the people who are naturally unjust. It’s said ‘God admits only good people to his eternal, beautiful, and just world’ which might possibly imply ‘Good people are in the just world, bad – in the unjust. So the question like ‘How could a fair God create such an unjust world?’ is due to your being unjust’. In other words, it has something to do with argument ad hominem since the key objection of subject B given to subject A is linked with the indirect way of indicating the deficiency of subject A
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

The fallacy is to assume that one may have good, without evil. How would one know something is good, without evil to compare it to? It’s like asking, why isn’t there just light, without dark? All opposites create each other.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
phenomenal_graffiti
Favorite Philosopher: George Berkeley

Post by phenomenal_graffiti »

I don't buy the duality thing. What exists, exists; what doesn't doesn't or doesn't any more. It's logically and metaphysically possible for good to exist without evil, not needing (or in the Judeo-Christian case, remembering) evil to know what is good in a world in which consciousness cannot assume the form of evil.
We are currently living within the mind of Jesus Christ as he is currently being crucified. One may think there is no God, or if one believes in God, one thinks one lives outside the mind of Christ in a post-crucifixion present.

In other news...
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Present awareness wrote: March 8th, 2020, 12:33 am The fallacy is to assume that one may have good, without evil. How would one know something is good, without evil to compare it to? It’s like asking, why isn’t there just light, without dark? All opposites create each other.
I agree to the duality of the values. But the fallacy may not related directly to the wording in the given argument of the OP. The question should have been to ask how an originator/creator assumed ONLY 'good' could create a reality that includes 'evil'. The respondent to the OP was not challenged with this question and so his answer is not necessarily a fallacy.
phenomenal_graffiti wrote: March 8th, 2020, 1:00 am I don't buy the duality thing. What exists, exists; what doesn't doesn't or doesn't any more. It's logically and metaphysically possible for good to exist without evil, not needing (or in the Judeo-Christian case, remembering) evil to know what is good in a world in which consciousness cannot assume the form of evil.
It may be more reasonable to assume an origin in 'evil' if only one value existed. Then what is 'good' is an improvement upon it. But it definitely could not be all-good. However, the duality still has to be the case because these values are about behaviors between at least two people and represents their relative benefits to cooperate, a construct of political expedience. Moral values don't exist independent of interpersonal behaviors between two or more conscious beings.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I have no fallacy name, but the OP's proposition becomes more clear when our existential situation is contextualised.

The star-producing era of the known universe is expected to continue for another trillion years. That makes our current universe a toddler in terms of its lifespan.

Is it fair for toddlers to be so clumsy, uncoordinated and uneducated, and therefore unable to achieve what they want to achieve? Or is it just a matter of them all having no choice but to tolerate chaos until they have matured enough to gain more control over their lives?
detail

Post by detail »

Would you ever think that this universe could be just an extended and very complex x-box or play-station game if something like a god would be existent ? Don't you think that fairnes an political correctness as well as a non-sadistic sexuality ever played a role in a x-box or play-station game?
Newme

Post by Newme »

When God is involved, it’s difficult to determine logic because of the various ways God is defined, especially subjectively. Both A & B could be considered illogical.

Both A & B:
*Begging the question/Jumping to Conclusions - assuming God is a certain way (fair) & that this world is unfair.
*Ad Pupulum/Bandwagon - assuming because many believe a certain thing about God and the world, they are true. (Also *Appeal to Authority)

B:
*Moving the goal posts - this world is what we daily deal with, not another.
*False Dilemma/Either-Or Fallacy - good and evil are often intermixed.
*Appeal to Ignorance - since we don’t know about after death and other worlds, they assume it to be true.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

It's just atheist rhetoric.

The fallacy is in it being an emotional argument.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream