What is a cause of Islamic terrorism?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Philo_stone

What is a cause of Islamic terrorism?

Post by Philo_stone »

Okay well, this thread is about determining cause of Islamic terrorism in such a way that anyone can believe, even Muslims. Alongwith it, why many people don't agree with whatever causes are told by people? What is wrong, whether psychology of people to accept bitter truths, or inability of a speaker to come up with convincing argument, or something else that we don't know?

Here I propose my stand which I think everyone can agree, and can observe if s/he is willing to.

I think or I am sure, that Islamic terrorism arise out of a kind of delusion theists (of any religions) sometimes goes through, if they are highly devoted to God or spend much time praying God.

If someone spend too much time praying or praising, s/he develop fear of God. S/he starts seeing anything good or bad happening in relation to God. If anything bad happens, s/he may think that there must be something lacking in my prayers. If it's good, then God rewarded me because of my prayers.

If someone else did bad to him/her, and something bad happened to that person, then God punished him because he did bad to me and I pray daily.

And, if other community did something wrong to our community, and if there comes flood, tornado, earthquake in their country, then God did it because.......... You know that. But, what if nothing bad happens to other community or country, despite their wrongdoings? Then, such people think that God wants us to punish them for their crime. We should punish by ourselves. This is how vengeful mentality develop among theists.

I see many Muslims talk like as if they know the will of God, without any doubt. I feel this kind of thinking to be very common among Muslims. This is also the reason behind strong belief on God that they see God in all happenings that they like, but not on those that aren't likable. It sometimes can be so strong that anyone would believe, but then again such belief goes wrong. Like many years ago, terrorist attacked religious places of other religions, and when people die Muslims anywhere used to say, see even your God can't save you. There is no God in your religion. But then after some years, terrorists started attacking their own religious places, and devotees died, but this time they didn't noticed anything, that what God wants or anything like that. I am sure, this kind of thinking is widespread among Muslims, and it can be seen if you observe keenly, especially when Muslim clerics speaks.

So this is how such mentality lead Muslims to resort to terrorism. This delusional way of thinking is important to understand if we want to stop terrorism. If we can remove such reasoning from their thinking, then I am sure we can stop terrorism mentality among Muslims.

This kind of thinking is common among theists, irrespective of religion, if they are very devoted to God, or they spend much time praying. And coincidentally, Muslims spends much time praying.

The problem is I can't prove this happens, but you can listen some Muslims express such thinking while they speak, or maybe they can even tell you that such way of thinking exists among Muslims, if you ask them right away.

So I think this is a cause of terrorism. If you don't agree with this, then what according to you is a cause of terrorism? It is very necessary to understand what causes terrorism. I would like to argue all the things people consider as cause of Islamic terrorism, but many people don't believe on those reasons.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Re: What is a cause of Islamic terrorism?

Post by popeye1945 »

The cause of terrorism, is a reaction to age old spiritual scriptures that justify murder and genocide. These age old Gods in scriptures are war gods, I believe this is true of all the desert religions. These writings were written about the time the people realized in might be a good idea to keep ones food far from ones feces. In the absence of thought there is faith, and that's it in a nut shell.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Terrorism is what conflict looks like when it is between large and tiny entities. Guerrilla warfare is between large and small groups. Equally sized groups conduct (what used to be called) "conventional" wars.

It is just a tactical difference that reflects relative weaknesses and strengths.
"As usual... it depends."
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

There is a difference between the cause and the method of enacting that cause, which in this case is terrorism. Quite right though a great discrepancy in the level of power dictates the form war is to take, a good example is the war in Vietnam.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

I do not mean to infer that the war in Vietnam, was on the part of the Vietminh terrorism, it was guerrilla warfare however. It was you might say a reaction to terrorism, the American Holocaust in Vietnam/south east Asia.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

popeye1945 wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:12 am I do not mean to infer that the war in Vietnam, was on the part of the Vietminh terrorism, it was guerrilla warfare however. It was you might say a reaction to terrorism, the American Holocaust in Vietnam/south east Asia.
You are right that in common usage, terrorism is a pejorative. But that is because large Western powers set the global discussion. As I noted earlier the powerful and wealthy can afford professional armies, with uniforms and high tech weaponry. Poor countries can't compete in that style of conflict, only the stupid would try. The Vietnamese weren't stupid. Guerilla warfare was how they could compete on equal footing and ultimately prevail against the most well funded army up to that time. If you are even smaller than Vietnam, you can't even use guerilla warfare, I'm thinking of the IRA in Northern Ireland. No uniforms, few guns, more bombs. Cowardly? OK, but is it brave or stupid to try to take on the British army with a few minimally armed citizens? You can taste the frustration of the powerful when they can't control a rag tag band in opposition.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

LuckyR, Excellent, can't find a thing to disagree about. "If you wish to be our masters, you must stay in Vietnam a thousand years, and learn to eat rice. Ho Chi Minh
HJCarden

Post by HJCarden »

Was reading a book called "How Civilizations Die", might make a separate thread about some of the premises of this book.

But directly related to your question, this book theorizes that Islamic terrorism is part of the demographic decline of the Islamic world. Birthrates are declining very rapidly in the middle east, and like with the greying of European countries, many islamic states are set to see their population decline very rapidly. This is something that Western media outlets pay very little attention to, but is front and center in the minds of these countries. Faced with the decline and potential erasure of their society, Muslims are more likely to want to go out in a blaze of glory instead of quietly.

At least thats what the book said.
baker

Post by baker »

LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:04 pm Terrorism is what conflict looks like when it is between large and tiny entities. Guerrilla warfare is between large and small groups. Equally sized groups conduct (what used to be called) "conventional" wars.

It is just a tactical difference that reflects relative weaknesses and strengths.
That's an excellent point! There are characteristic differences in the types of attack and the weapons used, depending on the relative size of the warring entities.

Pretty much the only way that a tiny entity can make any impact on a large entity is to go all out, to go to extremes. A tiny entity has no other option.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The basis of the insane thinking and actions of these terrorists is their wretched spiritual text. Which tells them they should be conquering the world. They believe that there are no innocents, if you are not Muslim you are fair game. The other desert religions Christianity and Judaism have long ago learned to ignore the more barbaric aspects of their spiritual text, but these guys are in limbo, with a seventh-century literal interpretation. All the desert religions have basically gods of war, they all taken literally recommend genocide. There really isn't a better word for this, whether Christianity Judaism or Islam, it is religious insanity. Scary mothers who have never learn to think for themselves, biblical lobotomy!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:04 pm Terrorism is what conflict looks like when it is between large and tiny entities. Guerrilla warfare is between large and small groups. Equally sized groups conduct (what used to be called) "conventional" wars.

Yes, that's the situation. If, say, Iraq had advanced weaponry at the time of the US invasion, their fighters would have been referred to as "enemy combatants" rather than "terrorists".

Consider the terror attack on the Capitol on 6 January. Like jihadists, the attackers did not see themselves as "terrorists" but as "freedom fighters".

As societies evolve, ie. break down and rebuild, the entropic forces that break down aspects of society can be large and sudden, such as war. However, the entropy often comes comes in small doses over time, eg. corruption, economic decline, the rise of would-be insurrectionist groups.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Freedom fighter to one is terrorist to another, it is part of the propaganda war
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Freedom fighter and Terrorists do NOT equate, all though can sometimes be miss labeled. One example is the Vietnam war, it would be quite logical to see the United States as the terrorists. It is quite another thing for Muslims to kill other peoples because they view all non-Muslims a fair game for slaughter. These are not freedom fighters but religious crazies, they are going by a literal interpretation of the KORAN, something the other desert religions learned to bypass long-ago. Another thing significant is the Muslims never had a period of Enlightenment like that which liberated Europeans from the grip of superstition and religion to a significant degree.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

popeye1945 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:27 am Freedom fighter and Terrorists do NOT equate, all though can sometimes be miss labeled. One example is the Vietnam war, it would be quite logical to see the United States as the terrorists.
Yeah, they equate. The US in Vietnam were not terrorists but an invasive force.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Greta wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:34 am
popeye1945 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:27 am Freedom fighter and Terrorists do NOT equate, all though can sometimes be miss labeled. One example is the Vietnam war, it would be quite logical to see the United States as the terrorists.
Yeah, they equate. The US in Vietnam were not terrorists but an invasive force.
No, they don't, at least not always, the American holocaust in southeast Asia was definitely a terrorist campaign on the part of the United States. Splitting hairs here, it was an invasion force that practiced terrorism.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream