Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
CylindricalParadox

Post by CylindricalParadox »

I want to describe my interpretation of the mechanics of the Karma system. I believe Karma is definitely similar to an ironic event, it sums up to, do unto others what would be done unto you or as TOOL would say "Do unto others what has been done to you." There's two experiences in reality, birth and death, there's also a belief that reincarnation is real but whether you believe in it or not its really not relevant for consciousness.

The persona is the character or role you play in life, your personality or how you act towards others, It's pretty much an act. The persona is illusory to consciousness and makes the mistake of thinking it is actually the persona. I'ts not the ego its just a trickery of the mind, in other words you play different roles through your experience of birth and re-birth. Consciousness is doing this forever, a very repetitious nature, and is quite possible that you may have experience every single persona that ever existed through the eras of time.

You are born into the world and what you do to it will have an impact on you and no one else. Bad Karma is simply, I hurt you, and If you hurt others or harm the world (leaving it in a worst shape than you found it). Eventually you will end up playing the role of the person that you hurt and experience a world that you destroyed. You can relate to this, how many times has someone else made you cry? Good Karma can lead to more good karma. You're born into a world that takes time to understand and you have the power to make someone else's life better and when you die, you did all you could to make the world better for future generations. That's my view of a Karmic system, take from the world put back into it and improve it for your future self.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: Karma

Post by h_k_s »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:53 am I want to describe my interpretation of the mechanics of the Karma system. I believe Karma is definitely similar to an ironic event, it sums up to, do unto others what would be done unto you or as TOOL would say "Do unto others what has been done to you." There's two experiences in reality, birth and death, there's also a belief that reincarnation is real but whether you believe in it or not its really not relevant for consciousness.

The persona is the character or role you play in life, your personality or how you act towards others, It's pretty much an act. The persona is illusory to consciousness and makes the mistake of thinking it is actually the persona. I'ts not the ego its just a trickery of the mind, in other words you play different roles through your experience of birth and re-birth. Consciousness is doing this forever, a very repetitious nature, and is quite possible that you may have experience every single persona that ever existed through the eras of time.

You are born into the world and what you do to it will have an impact on you and no one else. Bad Karma is simply, I hurt you, and If you hurt others or harm the world (leaving it in a worst shape than you found it). Eventually you will end up playing the role of the person that you hurt and experience a world that you destroyed. You can relate to this, how many times has someone else made you cry? Good Karma can lead to more good karma. You're born into a world that takes time to understand and you have the power to make someone else's life better and when you die, you did all you could to make the world better for future generations. That's my view of a Karmic system, take from the world put back into it and improve it for your future self.
Youre talking about a religion topic. Not philosophy.
CylindricalParadox

h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 1:06 am
CylindricalParadox wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:53 am I want to describe my interpretation of the mechanics of the Karma system. I believe Karma is definitely similar to an ironic event, it sums up to, do unto others what would be done unto you or as TOOL would say "Do unto others what has been done to you." There's two experiences in reality, birth and death, there's also a belief that reincarnation is real but whether you believe in it or not its really not relevant for consciousness.

I wouldn't consider Karma, death and re-birth a religion because i'm not talking about a god to worship.
CylindricalParadox

I don't consider Buddhist Philosophy a religion. These ideas came from a man called Buddha, he was an enlightened man and not a God, he also did not preach this as a religion. The basic structure of Karma is that consciousness is stuck in the wheel of Samsara (re-incarnation) and the only way to stop this is by reaching an enlightened state of consciousness. What you are basically saying is that you think Karma is a religious idea and since its religious is not worth talking about it in philosophy.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Reincarnation has a technical problem. No one remembers their prior life. So no one can bring lessons learned in a prior life into their next life, nor could they understand why their current bad experiences were justified.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

The more I've looked at it the idea that it's any sort of moral accounting system, if it's even a real thing, doesn't seem to reflect in the world we live in. At the most I could see there being equilibrium reactions in nature pulling on us if we stray outside of a certain zone where the rest of the local universe is at but that's just non-conformity or being an outlier in some way or another and it doesn't have much if anything to do with people squaring accounts with each other.
Marvin_Edwards wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:53 am Reincarnation has a technical problem. No one remembers their prior life. So no one can bring lessons learned in a prior life into their next life, nor could they understand why their current bad experiences were justified.
I'd really leave reincarnation and karma as two separate things. There's no reason to believe that karma is required for reincarnation and similarly if conscious agents get recycled and if it's an organic process it would be indifferent to whether we're looking to incorporate it into some form of religious or moral system. Looking at some of the University of Virginia and IANDS people it seems like they'd go in the later direction when following up on Ian Stevenson's work, ie. that what evidence there is for it tends in the 'it just is on its own' direction rather than edifying the religious creeds that showcase it.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 1:46 am

I wouldn't consider Karma, death and re-birth a religion because i'm not talking about a god to worship.
Karma, death, and rebirth are definitely religious topics.

God on the other hand is a topic of philosophy. Check out Aristotle on The Prime Mover, Descartes on The Greatest Good, and Aquinas on The First Cause, etc.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:22 am

I don't consider Buddhist Philosophy a religion. These ideas came from a man called Buddha, he was an enlightened man and not a God, he also did not preach this as a religion. The basic structure of Karma is that consciousness is stuck in the wheel of Samsara (re-incarnation) and the only way to stop this is by reaching an enlightened state of consciousness. What you are basically saying is that you think Karma is a religious idea and since its religious is not worth talking about it in philosophy.
There are statues of a mythical Buddha all over South and East Asia. He has definitely been deified.
Gee

Post by Gee »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:53 am Reincarnation has a technical problem. No one remembers their prior life. So no one can bring lessons learned in a prior life into their next life, nor could they understand why their current bad experiences were justified.
I agree with Papus79. Reincarnation and karma are two separate things/ideas. I am not sure about this interpretation of karma, so I can't really support it. But I am very sure about reincarnation -- it happens.

I read some of Ian Stevenson's work, but after he died most of his ideas were corrupted like in Wiki, which changed almost completely. It becomes more and more difficult to find credible references to his work on reincarnation.

As to your issue with the "technical problem", consider that the rational mind does not necessarily transfer, or at least it rarely transfers whole. Sometimes it does, but more often feelings, impressions, emotions, and attitudes transfer -- aspects of mind that are related to the unconscious. A person may remember their spouse and children because of emotional attachments, but it is unlikely they will remember what they paid in taxes last year.

Gee
Gee

Post by Gee »

h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:05 pm
CylindricalParadox wrote: August 7th, 2020, 1:46 am

Karma, death, and rebirth are definitely religious topics.
So is eating, bathing, families, laws, sex, dressing, working, teaching, etc., etc. What is your point?

Gee
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 1:06 am Youre talking about a religion topic. Not philosophy.
The reason I came here, and the reason why I am staying, is that all kinds of discussions are tolerated, perhaps even encouraged. 😮😍 Religion is a rich source of ideas, and often well worth considering, and discussing. IME.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm There are statues of a mythical Buddha all over South and East Asia.
Buddha was a man called Siddhārtha Gautama, who lived around 400 BCE.
Collins English Dictionary wrote:Something or someone that is mythical exists only in myths and is therefore imaginary.

If you describe something as mythical, you mean that it is untrue or does not exist.
So, although it cannot be proven beyond doubt that Buddha lived and died a real man, in the real world, it seems quite likely that he did. So he wasn't "mythical".

h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm He has definitely been deified.
Only by the ignorant. Buddhism is crystal clear that Buddha is not God, but only (?) an enlightened man.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Gee

Post by Gee »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 8th, 2020, 10:36 am
h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 1:06 am Youre talking about a religion topic. Not philosophy.
The reason I came here, and the reason why I am staying, is that all kinds of discussions are tolerated, perhaps even encouraged. 😮😍 Religion is a rich source of ideas, and often well worth considering, and discussing. IME.
I agree and had a similar problem. I was enjoying a science forum, but too often saw evidence of prejudice against religion in the opinions presented. For example, I wrote a thread called Dinosaurs, Deuteronomy, and Ebola a few years back when the Ebola crisis hit. I wanted to learn more about pandemics, but because I was dumb enough to include a reference to the Bible in the title, members assumed that it was a religious thread and could not keep their minds on the topic. I learned almost nothing. Now I find that Bill Gates had similar thoughts about pandemics five years ago.

I might even start some threads here that I could not post elsewhere. :shock:

I don't think it is the topic that defines a discussion as science, philosophy, or religion -- it is the methodology that is used to study that topic. Karma is a religious idea, but it is also an explanation of balance in consciousness, and we know that balance is a truth in all of reality.

Gee
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Surprising really, that all of this very interesting discussion fails to get at the meaning of karma.

Karma is a yoga, that is, it "yokes" one to a beyond where things are resolved morally and epistimologically; you know, like realizing the atman is the Brahman. Not much to actually SAY about this metaphysical beyond, and this is not the point. But our purpose on earth is to work through matters that confront us, and these are, at a deeper level, about an evolving soul. All yogas, dhyana, jnana, bahkti, (hatha?)are simply utilities; our living and breathing in a world of problems requires us to think practically, morally, and thought here is a yoga, a utility that lets one solve problems the working through of which is our karma, and this is called karma yoga. Meditation, say, is not qualitatively different in its purpose. It is simply more direct and effective. Bhakti yoga is closer to karma yoga as the latter tends to encompass the former.

As to reincarnation and yoga, well, once the karmic end is achieved, the need for reincarnation falls away. Reincarnation is the working our of impediments to enlightenment, samsara: the cycle of rebirth.

Not that you should believe all of this, as I do. Your business, though convincing others does make for interesting philosophy. But this is essentially what the word is about.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 8th, 2020, 10:54 am
h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm There are statues of a mythical Buddha all over South and East Asia.
Buddha was a man called Siddhārtha Gautama, who lived around 400 BCE.
Collins English Dictionary wrote:Something or someone that is mythical exists only in myths and is therefore imaginary.

If you describe something as mythical, you mean that it is untrue or does not exist.
So, although it cannot be proven beyond doubt that Buddha lived and died a real man, in the real world, it seems quite likely that he did. So he wasn't "mythical".

h_k_s wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm He has definitely been deified.
Only by the ignorant. Buddhism is crystal clear that Buddha is not God, but only (?) an enlightened man.
Tell me something I don't know.

(I loved that line from MSNBC Hardball.)

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream