SELF

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Jack D Ripper

Re: SELF

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Gertie wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:15 pm...
The relationship between this dead, meaningless aspect of the material world, which can be fully described in objective, measurable physicalist terms, and the the conscious experiential world of Subjects with a sense of self raises many philosphical conundrums. Not just the Hard Problem or Free Will, not just epistemological and ontological, but questions about the very nature of Being. Which science, rooted in our physicalist observations, doesn't seem equipped to answer.

But then, what can? Are the questions Phenomenologists explore answerable? Even meaningful? Or is the material world, which through physical processes somehow resulted in conscious Subjects emerging, the full story? I think the latter is all we can ever address beyond untestable speculations, enmeshed in bias and solipsism.

I presume you mean by the "Hard Problem" what has been called the "hard problem of consciousness". Not everyone thinks that is the great problem some philosophers imagine it to be:

https://academic.oup.com/nc/article/202 ... 09/5861711

I am inclined to think we should wait for more information from neuroscience before coming to some conclusion or other. There is much to be learned about how the brain works, though progress is being made. There are many, of course, who are too impatient for waiting for actual evidence, and so they tend to just make stuff up. That kind of approach, not surprisingly, tends to lead to error and very bad philosophy. But there is a long tradition of doing bad philosophy, as I have mentioned in another thread:

Jack D Ripper wrote: October 30th, 2020, 10:08 pm
Seth_Gibson wrote: October 30th, 2020, 3:58 pm Does philosophical inquiry lead to truth?

In most cases, no, absolutely not. We can know this absolutely from the fact that different philosophers disagree on what is true, in widely diverging ways. If you have taken an elementary logic class, you should know absolutely that most philosophers must be wrong.

Most of what passes for philosophy is drivel. That fact should be appreciated so that one might be more careful about how one approaches the subject, to avoid wasting one's time and ending up believing stupid nonsense, which may lead to one wasting the rest of one's life pursuing phantoms.
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Gertie wrote: ↑
Today, 12:15 pm
The relationship between this dead, meaningless aspect of the material world, which can be fully described in objective, measurable physicalist terms, and the the conscious experiential world of Subjects with a sense of self raises many philosphical conundrums. Not just the Hard Problem or Free Will, not just epistemological and ontological, but questions about the very nature of Being. Which science, rooted in our physicalist observations, doesn't seem equipped to answer.

But then, what can? Are the questions Phenomenologists explore answerable? Even meaningful? Or is the material world, which through physical processes somehow resulted in conscious Subjects emerging, the full story? I think the latter is all we can ever address beyond untestable speculations, enmeshed in bias and solipsism.

I presume you mean by the "Hard Problem" what has been called the "hard problem of consciousness". Not everyone thinks that is the great problem some philosophers imagine it to be:

I am inclined to think we should wait for more information from neuroscience before coming to some conclusion or other. There is much to be learned about how the brain works, though progress is being made. There are many, of course, who are too impatient for waiting for actual evidence, and so they tend to just make stuff up. That kind of approach, not surprisingly, tends to lead to error and very bad philosophy
How do you envisage further studies of brains and interventions on them could potentially, in principle, go beyond noting correlations to resolve the hard problem of consciousness?
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Gertie wrote: November 14th, 2020, 4:58 pm

I am inclined to think we should wait for more information from neuroscience before coming to some conclusion or other. There is much to be learned about how the brain works, though progress is being made. There are many, of course, who are too impatient for waiting for actual evidence, and so they tend to just make stuff up. That kind of approach, not surprisingly, tends to lead to error and very bad philosophy
How do you envisage further studies of brains and interventions on them could potentially, in principle, go beyond noting correlations to resolve the hard problem of consciousness?

Without knowing yet what they will discover, it is hard to say exactly what will come of it. But I will give an analogy. Ancient people thought of fire as a substance, as a thing. The modern view of what fire is, is that it is not a substance, but is a process, the rapid oxidation of a material.

The mind, too, seems like a process rather than a substance. It, like fire, is not a static thing; there is always "movement", always thoughts coming and going. So looking for it as a thing is probably misguided. Consciousness is like fire, a process, not like a substance, like aluminum.

In short, I think we can summarily dismiss all claims about consciousness that define it as a thing, as a substance, because it does not seem to be a substance, according to the best available evidence.

The past gains in knowledge about the brain that science has provided has pretty well destroyed some of the old philosophical views of what a mind is. One would be in denial of the gains to take a position like the old substance dualist position, in which the mind is imagined to be completely immaterial and somehow magically connected to one's body. The fact that the mind can be affected by brain injury (in pretty interesting ways; see things like The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks) pretty well rules that out, as destroying part of a brain is just destroying matter and how could that make any difference in a substance that is immaterial? Of course, denial of reality is not new, and so some philosophers maintain primitive positions that are pretty well known to be wrong by anyone who pays attention to actual evidence.

Now, I don't expect you to be fully satisfied with this, as I have not explained how consciousness works. Of course, I do not know and cannot tell you; no one can. But enough is known to make it reasonable to take a wait and see approach to what neuroscientists discover.

Like with the example of fire, science may tell us that consciousness is not what people have imagined it to be.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Without knowing yet what they will discover, it is hard to say exactly what will come of it
Yes I agree we don't know what exactly neuroscience will uncover, but I asked a different question more relevant to the Hard Problem. Namely, in your opinion what in principle is potentially discoverable via neuroscience which could in principle resolve the Hard Problem?

Consciousness is like fire, a process, not like a substance, like aluminum. ... In short, I think we can summarily dismiss all claims about consciousness that define it as a thing, as a substance, because it does not seem to be a substance, according to the best available evidence.

Brains are material things and have processes, so I don't think we can dismiss substance dualism or panpsychism out of hand on the basis that a substance can't have processes.

It strikes me it boils down to reducibility - is phenomenal experience reducible to material processes that we just haven't discovered/understood yet. Or is it a different type of fundamental constituent of the universe (substance), which is (at least sometimes) in some relationship with the material stuff of the universe - as we observe in neural correlation.

And it's hard to see how ever more detailed observations of correlation under different conditions can even in principle answer that, at least without changing our current physicalist model of the world and how it works.
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Gertie wrote: November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm ...
Consciousness is like fire, a process, not like a substance, like aluminum. ... In short, I think we can summarily dismiss all claims about consciousness that define it as a thing, as a substance, because it does not seem to be a substance, according to the best available evidence.

Brains are material things and have processes, so I don't think we can dismiss substance dualism or panpsychism out of hand on the basis that a substance can't have processes.

I did not state that "a substance cannot have processes." I have no idea where you got that idea. With fire, substances are involved. But the substances themselves are not the fire; the fire is the process, not the substances. If the substances are present, but not the process, then there is no fire. Of course, without the substances relevant to fire, then there can be no process of fire. That is, there must be oxygen and something to burn (fuel) in order for there to be fire. But the mere existence of oxygen and fuel is not a fire. The fire is the rapid oxidation of the fuel, which is a specific process of the materials involved.

To give a crude example, one can have gasoline in a room with air (that has oxygen), but that does not mean that there is a fire in the room. But one can have gasoline, in a room with air, that is on fire, in which case, the gasoline is rapidly oxidizing (i.e., it is burning). What is called "fire" is the process of that combining of materials (fuel and oxygen), but it is not the materials themselves.

Gertie wrote: November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm It strikes me it boils down to reducibility - is phenomenal experience reducible to material processes that we just haven't discovered/understood yet. ...

Heat is something that is very much counter to what people originally thought. It is simply motion. The difference between a hot cup of coffee and a cold cup of coffee is that the molecules in the hot coffee are moving faster than the molecules in a cold cup of coffee. That is something very different from what people expected, but has been discovered by science. There was all sorts of BS nonsense that people believed about heat and cold before that discovery. The same may well be true of consciousness, that when someone figures out what the processes are, they will not be what many have expected. But before a discovery is made, one cannot say what it will be. Just making up stuff without bothering with any facts is not going to help one understand anything, though it often fools people into believing they know things when they really don't.

When one does not know the answer to a question, the honest approach is to say that one does not know. The dishonest approach is to make up some BS nonsense and pretend one knows. I suggest that we wait until we get more information, and not make up BS nonsense.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

I did not state that "a substance cannot have processes." I have no idea where you got that idea.

I thought you were dismissing substance dualism on the grounds that conscious experience is a process, sorry if I misunderstood. Re-reading you make a different argument -
the old substance dualist position, in which the mind is imagined to be completely immaterial and somehow magically connected to one's body. The fact that the mind can be affected by brain injury (in pretty interesting ways; see things like The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks) pretty well rules that out, as destroying part of a brain is just destroying matter and how could that make any difference in a substance that is immaterial?
My response to this is that until we understand the mind-body relationship we can't rule out some form of substance dualism or panpsychism. Calling it ''magic'' might just mean it doesn't fit within our current scientific model, which might well be the case. Hence I keep asking you what neuroscience might in principle discover to explain how and why experience exists at all? What current scientific theory could explain conscious experience as an emergent property of material brain processes, which neuroscientists might find evidence of in brains?

Because when you say this -

''I suggest that we wait until we get more information, and not make up BS nonsense.''

advocates of the Hard Problem will ask what evidence could even in principle explain consciousness? The point that we once didn't realise heat is an emergent property of molecules in motion is valid. That has become incorporated into our physicalist model. The question of whether conscious experience which has radically different, scientifically unobservable and sometimes contradictory properties to material brains can be similarly reducible to material stuff and forces is still in question. Because our current model of material stuff and forces would not predict the emergence of conscious experience or explain it. So we don't even know what to look for.

If conscious experience can't be accomodated within our current scientific model, then speculative hypotheses are a potential way forward. Claiming to know the answer is ********.
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Gertie wrote: November 15th, 2020, 8:28 am

I did not state that "a substance cannot have processes." I have no idea where you got that idea.

I thought you were dismissing substance dualism on the grounds that conscious experience is a process, sorry if I misunderstood. Re-reading you make a different argument -

I am dismissing substance dualism and panpsychism, but not the idea that a substance can have a process. There is no evidence for substance dualism (or panpsychism) and it also fails to explain anything. It just kicks the can down the road, as it were, and then adds a new problem of how these substances, that are completely different from each other, could possibly have any effect on each other.

It does not explain anything because just saying that there is a substance that thinks tells us nothing about how thinking happens, of what thinking is.

It is analogous to another pseudo-explanation for things, the claim that god did it. Saying "God did it" is a pseudo-explanation, something that takes the place of an explanation, but does not really explain anything. Primitive people regarded a rainbow as a sign from god, which some regarded as an explanation, but it does not explain how god did it; it does not explain how it came to be or what it is. It only answers the question of who did it, and does not explain how it came to be at all. It is kind of like someone asking how this stone arch was made:

And someone replies that it was made by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. That tells us who did it, but it does not answer the question that was asked, of how it was made.

And so it is with substance dualism (and panpsychism), saying that there is this special substance that thinks, tells us nothing about how thinking occurs, or what thinking is.

We also have no evidence of this magical substance, which is completely undetectable. It only serves as a pretend explanation for something without actually explaining anything at all.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

I am dismissing substance dualism and panpsychism

Then you're claiming materialist substance monism is true, and hand waving what are, currently at least, apparently intractable issues like the hard problem and explanatory gap. Which substance dualism/panpsychism are alternative explanations for.

Maybe you're right, but there is no way to test materialist monism. There's a reason you haven't been able to come up with anything we could even in principle scientifically look for to support it. No-one has. So you can't know that.
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Gertie wrote: November 15th, 2020, 3:58 pm
I am dismissing substance dualism and panpsychism

Then you're claiming materialist substance monism is true...

No. Rejecting two claims does not entail claiming something else.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Jack D Ripper wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Gertie wrote: November 15th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Then you're claiming materialist substance monism is true...

No. Rejecting two claims does not entail claiming something else.
What other option is there?
Waechter418
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Waechter418 »

I perceive Self as an inter/extrapolation dynamic that may manifest as Atman, as well as personal* Self (also known as Ego) - and various in-betweens.

* Lat: persona = mask of actor
intrTek_Alan
New Trial Member

Post by intrTek_Alan »

Waechter418 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 1:49 pm Subjecting Self to intellectual/logical exercises tends to fragment/obscure Self and thus impede/reduce its usefullnes
Commander Spock, first officer of the USS Enterprise, might ask the following. Does selfish self exist because of basic emotion; basic survival instinct; greed? Does emotion cloud and confuse the clarity of thought needed to ponder a true self?

Perhaps logical self is more useful than emotional self, and can achieve, or progress, further. While, emotional self is more effective, or adept, in producing its lesser denomination of usefulness.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Pattern-chaser wrote:Depending what we mean by "self", Buddhists believe there is no such thing, that the 'self' is an illusion.
The "self" is an "experiencer". And logically an "experiencer" cannot experience him-self (X<X). So in this sense, any experience of self (e.g. true "self-awareness") is just an illusion.

We all have a picture in our head of who/what we are, but none of us can logically see who/what we really are. A rock can tap many things, but never it-self. We can experience many things, but never our-selves.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: March 16th, 2021, 6:41 am
Pattern-chaser wrote:Depending what we mean by "self", Buddhists believe there is no such thing, that the 'self' is an illusion.
The "self" is an "experiencer". And logically an "experiencer" cannot experience him-self (X<X). So in this sense, any experience of self (e.g. true "self-awareness") is just an illusion.

We all have a picture in our head of who/what we are, but none of us can logically see who/what we really are. A rock can tap many things, but never it-self. We can experience many things, but never our-selves.
Such an oversimplification (since the advent of recording), to be almost meaningless in the Modern age. If I observe an event in real time I will have a visual and auditory observation of external events, say the behavior of my coworkers. Everyone agrees there. If someone videotapes the same interaction, I can perform that observation tomorrow if I wasn't present today. Similarly if I am videotaped, I can observe myself in an identical way.

Everyone also knows that of the 5 senses, vision and hearing are geared externally whereas taste, smell and touch are at least partially internally directed. If you include other senses such as proprioception, which are entirely internal, we experience ourselves all day every day. Nonsense about rocks notwithstanding.
"As usual... it depends."
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:The "self" is an "experiencer". And logically an "experiencer" cannot experience him-self (X<X). So in this sense, any experience of self (e.g. true "self-awareness") is just an illusion.
LuckyR wrote:Everyone also knows that of the 5 senses, vision and hearing are geared externally whereas taste, smell and touch are at least partially internally directed. If you include other senses such as proprioception, which are entirely internal, we experience ourselves all day every day.
I don't disagree that we can experience many bodily sensations. But the experiencer of these sensations cannot logically experience himself (the self/experiencer himself), on at least two different fronts.

1. The subject (or the experiencer; self) cannot logically be in two places at one time. X<X is logically impossible. Since experiencing is a one-way (incoming) event, a subject cannot be outside of himself to then experience himself. He cannot be both the subject and the object (the observer and the observed) simultaneously.

2. Also, when we experience, we can only experience 'experiences' (sensations, feelings, urges, etc) and not actual 'things' or 'selfs', themselves.

Therefore, true "self-awareness" is a myth; illusion. An experiencer (a "self") can experience many things, but never itself, ...much like a stone can tap many things, but never itself.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream