Woke Philosophy – what is it?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Tecolote

Re: Woke Philosophy – what is it?

Post by Tecolote »

LuckyR wrote: September 25th, 2020, 1:16 pmYou were the one who introduced differences in upbringing into a conversation on the fact that different people get treated differently by the police. I was just trying to figure out why. I asked a question (rather than assume I knew what you were driving at). Seeking clarification as opposed to jumping to conclusions, you should try it.
I told you that those were only examples. Where you got an absurd idea like “deserve” must have been the wormhole of non sequitur.
So attorneys general (who work with cops every single day) are the arbiters of the truth when it comes to the behavior of said cops? I'll put my reading comprehension against your (fake) naivete' any day.
Would you rather have the yellow press and baying mob that’s ascendant now?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Warning. This video shows a killing.

George Floyd was clearly in total panic fearing he would be shot or killed by the police - as are many black people in the USA.
Despite this the police get him in the police car, but decide to take him out.

The police dragged him out of the police car with the intention of stepping on his neck to make him unconscious, thus making his fears come true.

Around 20:18 they stand on his neck cutting of his air, and after 10 minutes he is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhwxGzY ... 1601207635

For all those that can watch this and still think BLM is a communist plot, maybe you should consider your position? What is it you see when you see a black face? DO you see a human?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:40 am For all those that can watch this and still think BLM is a communist plot, maybe you should consider your position? What is it you see when you see a black face? DO you see a human?
Seems like damn near anyone who can say it's 'x' and 'x' is a single tidy narrative doesn't know what they're on about and so I'd worry about anyone who says that it's strictly that or that it hasn't at all been infiltrated by various kinds of accelerationist.

- Police brutality and particularly poor training and even worse self-defense and weapons training is part of this.
- A history of the state using the police as a tool for violence against the poor, and particularly minorities, is a big part of this.
- Legal equality and laws enforcing equality have not returned the expected results and that's clearly been a negative contributing factor.
- A US, and really the same story across the commonwealths and Europe, that's being hollowed out through automation and global trade thus fewer jobs and increasing power on the part of employers to squeeze what labor they have.
- The ever present genetic arms race where everyone's genes are a bit more important the next person's and where peace is for losers, hatred is for winners.
- A social media landscape that's taken this last point, ie. perpetual state of war in nature, and turned it into massive disinformation based on competing interests, maximizing for clicks rather than facts (Tristan Harris is great on this) thus there's increasingly less of a shared truth.
- Foreign countries are *absolutely* taking the social media landscape as a means to foment unrest in competing countries - you could hardly get a sweeter deal for both effectiveness and plausible deniability.

The really terrifying thing about social media is that it can take individual people's failings, somewhere in the world, and magnify them to the sky if they fit a reliable narrative that people already believe. In the case of George Floyd you have people like John McWhorter and Glen Loury pointing out that this is something that's happening to white people at the hands of the police as well and they've given examples.

As far as BLM I've noticed something increasingly, and the case was made in my own home city when they had a protest at the Justice center. They were actually peaceful, they made their way from a given point downtown to the Justice center where a whole bunch of white kids masked, dressed in black, with book bags were waiting. Whoever was organizing those kids, per some of the reporters who were watching the riots instigated by them, were from out of town - ie. they didn't know which way it was from where they were at to certain key landmarks that anyone from my city would know. There probably are some crazies who do fit the BLM metrics and do make the movement look terrible. One of the troubles with leaderless movements is they can't effectively screen their membership and activism, unfortunately, tends to fill up with psychopaths and manipulators fast if it gains any steam or power.

My own opinion on BLM is a mixed bag.

On one hand I think of Ice T in his Body Count video 'No Lives Matter' or Public Enemy with Nas et. al. doing the 2020 'Fight the Power' remix - I have a lot of respect for that, especially with Ice T stating that when it comes down to it it's not about race - it's a really twisted elite against blacks, against Hispanics, against poor whites, against everyone, and to them 'no lives matter' save their own.

On the other hand there's the 'Defund the police' side. Unless one wants the military to take their place and live under some form of martial law it's an absurdity. It's tough to tell how much of that is psychopaths rent-seeking, how much of that is outside plants trying to twist the movement, or how much of that is people being genuinely that uneducated. Corruption done right though makes any sort of distinguishing what-from-what impossible though and so the fade between grifting, astroturf injections, and incompetence - much like voting fraud - tends to be a massive haze by design.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Papus79 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 8:05 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:40 am For all those that can watch this and still think BLM is a communist plot, maybe you should consider your position? What is it you see when you see a black face? DO you see a human?
Seems like damn near anyone who can say it's 'x' and 'x' is a single tidy narrative doesn't know what they're on about and so I'd worry about anyone who says that it's strictly that or that it hasn't at all been infiltrated by various kinds of accelerationist.

- Police brutality and particularly poor training and even worse self-defense and weapons training is part of this.
- A history of the state using the police as a tool for violence against the poor, and particularly minorities, is a big part of this.
- Legal equality and laws enforcing equality have not returned the expected results and that's clearly been a negative contributing factor.
- A US, and really the same story across the commonwealths and Europe, that's being hollowed out through automation and global trade thus fewer jobs and increasing power on the part of employers to squeeze what labor they have.
- The ever present genetic arms race where everyone's genes are a bit more important the next person's and where peace is for losers, hatred is for winners.
- A social media landscape that's taken this last point, ie. perpetual state of war in nature, and turned it into massive disinformation based on competing interests, maximizing for clicks rather than facts (Tristan Harris is great on this) thus there's increasingly less of a shared truth.
- Foreign countries are *absolutely* taking the social media landscape as a means to foment unrest in competing countries - you could hardly get a sweeter deal for both effectiveness and plausible deniability.

The really terrifying thing about social media is that it can take individual people's failings, somewhere in the world, and magnify them to the sky if they fit a reliable narrative that people already believe. In the case of George Floyd you have people like John McWhorter and Glen Loury pointing out that this is something that's happening to white people at the hands of the police as well and they've given examples.

As far as BLM I've noticed something increasingly, and the case was made in my own home city when they had a protest at the Justice center. They were actually peaceful, they made their way from a given point downtown to the Justice center where a whole bunch of white kids masked, dressed in black, with book bags were waiting. Whoever was organizing those kids, per some of the reporters who were watching the riots instigated by them, were from out of town - ie. they didn't know which way it was from where they were at to certain key landmarks that anyone from my city would know. There probably are some crazies who do fit the BLM metrics and do make the movement look terrible. One of the troubles with leaderless movements is they can't effectively screen their membership and activism, unfortunately, tends to fill up with psychopaths and manipulators fast if it gains any steam or power.

My own opinion on BLM is a mixed bag.

On one hand I think of Ice T in his Body Count video 'No Lives Matter' or Public Enemy with Nas et. al. doing the 2020 'Fight the Power' remix - I have a lot of respect for that, especially with Ice T stating that when it comes down to it it's not about race - it's a really twisted elite against blacks, against Hispanics, against poor whites, against everyone, and to them 'no lives matter' save their own.

On the other hand there's the 'Defund the police' side. Unless one wants the military to take their place and live under some form of martial law it's an absurdity. It's tough to tell how much of that is psychopaths rent-seeking, how much of that is outside plants trying to twist the movement, or how much of that is people being genuinely that uneducated. Corruption done right though makes any sort of distinguishing what-from-what impossible though and so the fade between grifting, astroturf injections, and incompetence - much like voting fraud - tends to be a massive haze by design.
Do you have an idea, why they removed him from the police car, having gone to great lengths to put him inside?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 8:17 am Do you have an idea, why they removed him from the police car, having gone to great lengths to put him inside?
I wouldn't claim to. The idea that Derrick Chauvin knew him from the club they both worked at, prior altercations between them, Derrick Chauvin likely being a psychopath on a power trip, all of those things come to mind. There's been concern as well that the law, as it stands, would exonerate Chauvin as having 'plaid within the lines' of the law or at least bumping the charges down from murder if it turned out that what he did was within the parameters of the description even if, in actuality, it's debatably either manslaughter or premeditated murder by someone - of all things - committing that murder with a badge.

All of my thoughts above put aside - unless these other police officers were that terrified of Chauvin or that much like him (terrible screening in their hires in that case) I try to think then of what the alternatives would be and none of them look good. Would the Minneapolis PD, with any sense of self-reservation, train that into their officers as their policy let alone say 'Well done! Killing black men is right at the center of our unwritten mission statement!'? It's really tough to imagine this being emblematic of policing and the goals of policing in any major city in 2020. That would really then, if being a deliberate / coordinated thing, send us way out into deep waters of deliberately fomenting race war, trying to end democracy in the US, 'break away societies' trying to burn it all down so they can come in with the solution - stuff I don't necessarily believe but again, once one gets past petty conspiracies of immediate gain or covering for liabilities the grander conspiracies head out toward the tin foil factory fast and it's quite difficult to do much of anything with them (and if any of them were remotely true the only workable approach would be to uproot them from front to back as one has to when something is happening that would seem to bizarre for most people to believe).
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Arjen wrote: September 25th, 2020, 2:14 am The whole point of BLM is to subversively use concerned people for communist goals.

What do you make of this?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/se ... FIbsYT5-R4
1) Everyone needs to identify before entering a courthouse. No one suggested she was a defendant.
2) Everyone needs to wait outside the courtroom until the court is in session. No one suggested she was a defendant.
3) When going in, she gets told to leave, because no one enters a courtroom before the court is in session. No one suggested she was a defendant.

The only mixup appears to be in the news article. Fueling a race issue, to twist into a class struggle for a communist revolution, which ends in show trials and totalitarianism? Uyghur, also 500000 Tibetans now in concentration camps and 10000 democrats in Hong Kong have been arrested in the last 3 months.
Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:40 am Warning. This video shows a killing.

George Floyd was clearly in total panic fearing he would be shot or killed by the police - as are many black people in the USA.
Despite this the police get him in the police car, but decide to take him out.

The police dragged him out of the police car with the intention of stepping on his neck to make him unconscious, thus making his fears come true.

Around 20:18 they stand on his neck cutting of his air, and after 10 minutes he is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhwxGzY ... 1601207635

For all those that can watch this and still think BLM is a communist plot, maybe you should consider your position? What is it you see when you see a black face? DO you see a human?
The guy was talking about not being able to breathe before he was handled by the police. It turns out that he was on crystal meth, which causes asphyxiation sometimes. 2 Autopsies show it was part of the cause of death; 1 ruled out the knee altogether. The police were unaware of the meth. The 911 call of the robbery suggested "out of control on alcohol". Given many priors, which include sexual assault under threat of a firearm, armed robbery and dealing cocaine, he was considered armed and dangerous. They took no chances and used the knee, as is recommended. No racism involved.

How can you deny that there is something wrong with the news? Did you even know these facts? Or that the knee lock is used all over the world and no one dies from it? Only mr. Floyd, who was on meth, which causes asphyxiation?

Disclaimer: Still, it would have been better had he not died, but it is common practise to ignore a suspect in a difficult position until they decide to move. I imagine that the fact that he complained about air before the knee is the reason why they ignored it, not knowing about the meth.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Sculptor1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVszfP ... I0-cRFu8aI
The ideological frame is Marxism.
That is the horse's mouth.
Do you deny that BLM has this agenda?
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Papus79 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 8:33 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 8:17 am Do you have an idea, why they removed him from the police car, having gone to great lengths to put him inside?
I wouldn't claim to. The idea that Derrick Chauvin knew him from the club they both worked at, prior altercations between them, Derrick Chauvin likely being a psychopath on a power trip, all of those things come to mind.
And that is most probably why Floyd was **** scared of being shot.
There's been concern as well that the law, as it stands, would exonerate Chauvin as having 'plaid within the lines' of the law or at least bumping the charges down from murder if it turned out that what he did was within the parameters of the description even if, in actuality, it's debatably either manslaughter or premeditated murder by someone - of all things - committing that murder with a badge.

All of my thoughts above put aside - unless these other police officers were that terrified of Chauvin or that much like him (terrible screening in their hires in that case) I try to think then of what the alternatives would be and none of them look good. Would the Minneapolis PD, with any sense of self-reservation, train that into their officers as their policy let alone say 'Well done! Killing black men is right at the center of our unwritten mission statement!'? It's really tough to imagine this being emblematic of policing and the goals of policing in any major city in 2020. That would really then, if being a deliberate / coordinated thing, send us way out into deep waters of deliberately fomenting race war, trying to end democracy in the US, 'break away societies' trying to burn it all down so they can come in with the solution - stuff I don't necessarily believe but again, once one gets past petty conspiracies of immediate gain or covering for liabilities the grander conspiracies head out toward the tin foil factory fast and it's quite difficult to do much of anything with them (and if any of them were remotely true the only workable approach would be to uproot them from front to back as one has to when something is happening that would seem to bizarre for most people to believe).
I did not hear any of them really try to reassure him. Nor did I hear a formal charge or arrest, or reading of rights.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Arjen wrote: September 27th, 2020, 11:51 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

What do you make of this?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/se ... FIbsYT5-R4
1) Everyone needs to identify before entering a courthouse. No one suggested she was a defendant.
WRONG.
This is the UK, not Gaza.
White lawyers are not challenged.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream