Logic and Dialectical Reasoning

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Logic and Dialectical Reasoning

Post by Pattern-chaser »

chewybrian wrote: October 12th, 2020, 6:05 pm ---X=X. X is always X and never something else.

Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 11:25 am Since you can't step in the same river twice, you cannot have X=X.
X=X is only ever an approximation which has to ignore the individuality of all Xes.

Hmm. In algebra, we often use letters to represent quantities, with the understanding that the letters might (at some time) stand for any specific number. Here, I don't think that it is the case. Here, I think we are to understand that X is used to refer to one unique and specific thing, not to a class of things.

As for stepping into rivers, I'm an adherent of Cratylus, who averred that one cannot even step into the same river once.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy wrote:The message of the one river comment is not that all things are changing so that we cannot encounter them twice, but something much more subtle and profound. It is that some things stay the same only by changing. One kind of long-lasting material reality exists by virtue of constant turnover in its constituent matter. Here constancy and change are not opposed but inextricably connected.
[ Paraphrased by me, hopefully without compromising the original intended meaning. ]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

arjand wrote:
Kant clearly makes a qualitative distinction between analytical and dialectical logic and expresses to say farewell to dialectical reasoning as being a 'logic of illusions' (i.e. invalid reasoning).
Though it is not dialectical thinking as such that runs into trouble. Rather, it is the irresponsible metaphysics it can produce when there is no suitable intuition to give content to concepts. One can hardly argue against dialectics in its form, for it is no less than than an exercise in logic: the conditional. You say, e.g., good fences make good neighbors and I say such fences create barriers between people. we can argue this and at some point, if the weight of the one is agreed upon to exceed the other, the matter can be, at least provisionally, resolved. Kant, of course, wold never deny such a logical process. He does object to the construction of metaphysical thinking that possesses no empirical content, and is not analytic. It's like taking a valid argument and arbitrarily ascribing soundness to it. This is what a Christian metaphysics has been doing for a long time.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Syamsu wrote: October 12th, 2020, 9:19 pm I think Dialectical reasoning is pathological. It starts from fundamentally conceiving of making a choice in terms of figuring out the best option.
I 2nd that.

Also: Dialectical reasoning made to serve is:
1) Play out racial divides with a history of slavery that the current generation had no part in.
2) When choosing who is right (black or white), the logical choice is the former victims, making the current generations victims.
3) This plays out for the whole group as a schism.
4) That schism can then be used by saying: there should not be a schism. In my new way (communism), there is no schism at all.
5) We forgot that the current generation in the USA has nothing to do with the past and that the CCP does have concentration camps with minorities in it.

Pathological alright.

Does anyone recognise this?
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:41 pm
chewybrian wrote: October 12th, 2020, 6:05 pm ---X=X. X is always X and never something else.

Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 11:25 am Since you can't step in the same river twice, you cannot have X=X.
X=X is only ever an approximation which has to ignore the individuality of all Xes.

Hmm. In algebra, we often use letters to represent quantities, with the understanding that the letters might (at some time) stand for any specific number. Here, I don't think that it is the case. Here, I think we are to understand that X is used to refer to one unique and specific thing, not to a class of things.

As for stepping into rivers, I'm an adherent of Cratylus, who averred that one cannot even step into the same river once.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy wrote:The message of the one river comment is not that all things are changing so that we cannot encounter them twice, but something much more subtle and profound. It is that some things stay the same only by changing. One kind of long-lasting material reality exists by virtue of constant turnover in its constituent matter. Here constancy and change are not opposed but inextricably connected.
[ Paraphrased by me, hopefully without compromising the original intended meaning. ]
X in that case was intended to represent a state of something, like "the car is blue" or "the dog is in the back yard". Either these things are true or not true, but the dog is not both in and not in the back yard, etc.

I think maybe you answered your own question about contradiction. I saw a bit of the ship of Theseus in that idea of ever-present contradiction, along with contradictions or unresolvable conflicts in our attempts to resolve problems. In the example I gave before about needles for drug users, you can see a yin and yang effect that seems to be present in pretty much every choice. You can't do good without doing something a bit bad in the process.

About parts and the whole... This is about not examining the part out of context of its relationship to other parts, to the past, etc. If you examine the part on its own, the true meaning and usefulness of it (as a component of the whole) is lost. Take one principle from an army handbook of policy and procedure, and apply it to a group of girl scouts. In the process, you have lost the value of the particular policy as a part of a larger scheme. It likely would have a very different value (if any) to the girl scouts, despite the policy being reprinted word for word.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

chewybrian
What is your purpose with this topic exactly, by the way?
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 11:25 am

Since you can't step in the same river twice, you cannot have X=X.
X is supposed to refer to the same thing, at the same time, in the same respect, etc. in both instances there. "A thing (at a particular time) is itself" or "A thing is identical to the thing it is" in other words.
There is no such thing as X in the same place at the same time. That is impossible. Simultanouse co-location is not something anything has managed to achieve.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 13th, 2020, 12:41 pm

No two quantities an ever be exactly the same, except theoretically.
X is vauge and is used for many things. Unless you want to keep maths and logic purely int eh abstract and theoretical - fine. However it all a but esoteric and the only time that maths and logic have any value is when they are applies to real life situations.
That is exactly why X=X can only be an approximation.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Arjen wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:38 pm @chewybrian
What is your purpose with this topic exactly, by the way?
When I encounter or rediscover something that interests me, I want to learn more, and to test what I think I know about it, to see if my understanding survives scrutiny. My core interest in philosophy is understanding how it overlaps with psychology. I am keenly interested in self-improvement through philosophy. I believe that opinion forms experience in the world. We can effectively improve our experience in the world by changing our outlook, even when we are unable to change the basic facts of reality. So, my broader purpose is to see how these ideas might impact or improve cognition and state of mind.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I do agree with you, but imagine those buddhist monks in Tibet, changing their perspective. Yet their expercience doesn't seem to get them out of those concentration camps...

I do have a skill in logic. Do you have specific questions that I migjt be able to help with?
~Immanuel Kant
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 6:25 pm There is no such thing as X in the same place at the same time. That is impossible. Simultanouse co-location is not something anything has managed to achieve.

Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 6:28 pm No two quantities an ever be exactly the same, except theoretically.
X is vauge and is used for many things. Unless you want to keep maths and logic purely int eh abstract and theoretical - fine. However it all a but esoteric and the only time that maths and logic have any value is when they are applies to real life situations.
That is exactly why X=X can only be an approximation.

I think you're misunderstanding what's being said here. X = X does not compare two things, both referred to as "X". It says that X is identically equal to itself, not to something else. No simultaneous co-location. No approximation.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

The overlap with psychology is just that a formalisation of the working of the mind to understand the thought better. For me, Frege's "Begrifsschrift" was really cool. He is just before the proper formalisation of Logic. For example, he confuses the predicate and the element still.

Russell's paradox confirms the mistake.
~Immanuel Kant
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:01 am I think you're misunderstanding what's being said here. X = X does not compare two things, both referred to as "X". It says that X is identically equal to itself, not to something else. No simultaneous co-location. No approximation.
Pattern-chaser is right. Identity is identity. In fact, we should say that "The grass is green if and only if the grass is green".
Or: Gg=Gg<==>Gg=Gg
Or your example: x=x<==>x=x

But oerhaps you all feel that triviality can go no further.
~Immanuel Kant
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Arjen wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Syamsu wrote: October 12th, 2020, 9:19 pm I think Dialectical reasoning is pathological. It starts from fundamentally conceiving of making a choice in terms of figuring out the best option.
I 2nd that.

Also: Dialectical reasoning made to serve is:
1) Play out racial divides with a history of slavery that the current generation had no part in.
2) When choosing who is right (black or white), the logical choice is the former victims, making the current generations victims.
3) This plays out for the whole group as a schism.
4) That schism can then be used by saying: there should not be a schism. In my new way (communism), there is no schism at all.
5) We forgot that the current generation in the USA has nothing to do with the past and that the CCP does have concentration camps with minorities in it.

Pathological alright.

Does anyone recognise this?
"Recognise" seems like too strong a term. What you have written seems to resemble an unexpected and inappropriate straw man attempt to excuse or justify racism, worthy of the current POTUS. Is this intended as some kind of refutation of "dialectical reasoning"? If so, please tell us how your words achieve this. I can't see it. No, I don't "recognise this" at all.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Arjen wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:56 am I do agree with you, but imagine those buddhist monks in Tibet, changing their perspective. Yet their expercience doesn't seem to get them out of those concentration camps...
You are right, but the bitter irony is that those guys are surely able to endure the experience better based on their training. If they have no control over their situation, they retain control over their reaction to or opinion about the situation, and this is a huge factor in happiness or state of mind.

In contrast, there are many people here in the states who have freedom, opportunity and luxury unknown to most men who have ever lived, yet lament not having what they don't have. Many of them are miserable because the create perfect forms in their mind of what they should or could have, or 'deserve', and these are something of a fantasy, but seem real enough to cause an impression of suffering.

The bottom line is that your happiness or perceived suffering are only loosely connected to the real world. Some things in the real world will cause you real pain or suffering. But, you can be more of a burden to yourself than the entire world if your expectations are unrealistic, or you are unwilling to reset them as conditions change, as is the case with many people.
Arjen wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:56 am I do agree with you, but imagine those buddhist monks in Tibet, changing their perspective. Yet their expercience doesn't seem to get them out of those concentration camps...

I do have a skill in logic. Do you have specific questions that I migjt be able to help with?
I'm not really that interested in pursuing logic further, but in looking behind or beyond it. I'm curious in what situations and on what basis you might see that logic fails or has no standing. I want to know what precedes logic and what rises above it. I was married to logic for a long time, as I think many people are. It is very easy to think that you are fair-minded when you stack logic upon all sorts of preconceptions and prejudices. I've concluded that focusing on the logic and being proud of my devotion to logic led me to a very bad place. Setting it aside and seeing that my perspective was not necessarily correct led me to feel better (a lot better!) and to be better (a little bit, at least).

So, I am not against logic, and I don't embrace illogical thinking. But, I think we lean too hard on logic and suffer greatly and needlessly as a result. I think many of us would benefit by 'unlocking' our brains a bit.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think "logic" suffers from the problem that its colloquial use is often completely different from its standard definition, as do some other words. People often use the term "logical", colloquially, to mean something related to empirical evidence. So they claim that some proposition is illogical when they really mean that the proposition makes an empirical claim which is inconsistent with patterns established by observation.
chewybrian wrote:But, I think we lean too hard on logic and suffer greatly and needlessly as a result. I think many of us would benefit by 'unlocking' our brains a bit.
Could you give an example of an instance of something that you see as leaning too hard on logic?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream