Logic and Dialectical Reasoning

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Fellowmater

Re: Logic and Dialectical Reasoning

Post by Fellowmater »

The distinction between inductive logic and deductive logic. Syllogisms. Conditional reasoning. The distinction between truth of an argument and validity of an argument. The concepts of necessity and sufficiency. Venn diagrams. Common logical errors. When to avoid contradiction and when to embrace it, how to avoid undue certainty about judgments and decisions, and why attention to context rather than form is crucial for analysis of most real-world problems.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:01 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 6:25 pm There is no such thing as X in the same place at the same time. That is impossible. Simultanouse co-location is not something anything has managed to achieve.

Sculptor1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 6:28 pm No two quantities an ever be exactly the same, except theoretically.
X is vauge and is used for many things. Unless you want to keep maths and logic purely int eh abstract and theoretical - fine. However it all a but esoteric and the only time that maths and logic have any value is when they are applies to real life situations.
That is exactly why X=X can only be an approximation.

I think you're misunderstanding what's being said here. X = X does not compare two things, both referred to as "X". It says that X is identically equal to itself, not to something else. No simultaneous co-location. No approximation.
No I am not misunderstanding at all.
Since no two things are can be same X=X cannot compare two things that are the same.
What is does is compare two similar things which share in common characteristics which are considered significant, ignoring differences which are thought unimportant.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Steve3007 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:56 am I think "logic" suffers from the problem that its colloquial use is often completely different from its standard definition, as do some other words. People often use the term "logical", colloquially, to mean something related to empirical evidence. So they claim that some proposition is illogical when they really mean that the proposition makes an empirical claim which is inconsistent with patterns established by observation.
chewybrian wrote:But, I think we lean too hard on logic and suffer greatly and needlessly as a result. I think many of us would benefit by 'unlocking' our brains a bit.
Could you give an example of an instance of something that you see as leaning too hard on logic?
I guess politics stands out as one example. We might begin with assumptions about reality or human nature:

People are naturally greedy vs. people are naturally lazy

Some people are wealthy because they (or their ancestors) exploited others vs. some people are wealthy because they worked hard

You could take the left or right side and then stack logic upon it. We should redistribute wealth if we believe the left side, and maybe we should do something different, like cutting taxes for the wealthy, if we believe the right side. But, we get so caught up in the logic that follows that we lose sight of the fact that it is built upon an assumption or unproven understanding of a very messy reality. That's what I mean. It's not that the logic is wrong, but we often forget that the proposition upon which we build the logic is imperfect, if not incorrect. We've reached a point where rational discussion is often impossible because each 'side' often takes the assumptions as givens, and then the logic tells them that their answers could not possibly be wrong, and the other side could not be right. We have mostly abandoned the middle ground which is arguably a more reasonable course, if you accept the messy and complex nature of reality. (I am talking about America; YMMV)
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

chewybrian wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:18 am
Steve3007 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:56 am I think "logic" suffers from the problem that its colloquial use is often completely different from its standard definition, as do some other words. People often use the term "logical", colloquially, to mean something related to empirical evidence. So they claim that some proposition is illogical when they really mean that the proposition makes an empirical claim which is inconsistent with patterns established by observation.

Could you give an example of an instance of something that you see as leaning too hard on logic?
I guess politics stands out as one example. We might begin with assumptions about reality or human nature:

People are naturally greedy vs. people are naturally lazy

Some people are wealthy because they (or their ancestors) exploited others vs. some people are wealthy because they worked hard

You could take the left or right side and then stack logic upon it. We should redistribute wealth if we believe the left side, and maybe we should do something different, like cutting taxes for the wealthy, if we believe the right side. But, we get so caught up in the logic that follows that we lose sight of the fact that it is built upon an assumption or unproven understanding of a very messy reality. That's what I mean. It's not that the logic is wrong, but we often forget that the proposition upon which we build the logic is imperfect, if not incorrect. We've reached a point where rational discussion is often impossible because each 'side' often takes the assumptions as givens, and then the logic tells them that their answers could not possibly be wrong, and the other side could not be right. We have mostly abandoned the middle ground which is arguably a more reasonable course, if you accept the messy and complex nature of reality. (I am talking about America; YMMV)
People are naturally generous, people are naturally energetic and like work.
People are not naturally lazy, nor are they naturally lazy.

These statements have exactly the same empirical value as the ones you give above.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Oppss.. Error
People are not naturally greedy, nor are they naturally lazy.

These statements have exactly the same empirical value as the ones you give above.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:...You could take the left or right side and then stack logic upon it...
This seems to me a bit of a "a bad workman always blames his tools" kind of thing.

Making an argument without sufficient understanding of messy reality is a mistake. Making an argument based on false premises can lead to false conclusions. Failing to properly examine the assumptions on which we base our arguments is a mistake. The polarization of politics and the abandonment of compromise between political opponents is a pity. But none of this, to my mind, has anything to do with leaning too hard on logic. I don't think leaning too hard on logic is the reason for the existence of populist politicians who tell the voters that the problems are simple, with simple solutions.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:26 am Oppss.. Error
People are not naturally greedy, nor are they naturally lazy.

But, I made no effort to assert that any of those statements were true. I only gave them as examples of the types of things people often *think* are true, while clearly saying that I think the truth is more complex and difficult to understand.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:...I think the truth is more complex and difficult to understand.
I don't think believing the world to be messy and complex or believing that the problems of the world are hard to solve has much to do with your attitude to logic. I think I understand the point you're trying to make. In the context of this forum it brings to my mind a poster like GE Morton (when he talks about politics) who gives the impression that he believes himself to have conclusively rationally demonstrated his brand of libertarianism to be the best form of government. But, in my view, his mistake is not leaning too hard on logic. It is failing to account for some of the variables in a problem. Not the same thing.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

chewybrian wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:40 am I'm not really that interested in pursuing logic further, but in looking behind or beyond it. I'm curious in what situations and on what basis you might see that logic fails or has no standing. I want to know what precedes logic and what rises above it. I was married to logic for a long time, as I think many people are. It is very easy to think that you are fair-minded when you stack logic upon all sorts of preconceptions and prejudices. I've concluded that focusing on the logic and being proud of my devotion to logic led me to a very bad place. Setting it aside and seeing that my perspective was not necessarily correct led me to feel better (a lot better!) and to be better (a little bit, at least).

So, I am not against logic, and I don't embrace illogical thinking. But, I think we lean too hard on logic and suffer greatly and needlessly as a result. I think many of us would benefit by 'unlocking' our brains a bit.
I wonder if, in practice, and for reasons that are purely pragmatic, we should embrace "illogical thinking"? Such 'thinking' plays an enormous part in human social culture, and without it, we cannot understand it or participate in it. 🤔 Just a thought....
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:05 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:01 am I think you're misunderstanding what's being said here. X = X does not compare two things, both referred to as "X". It says that X is identically equal to itself, not to something else. No simultaneous co-location. No approximation.
No I am not misunderstanding at all.
Since no two things are can be same X=X cannot compare two things that are the same.
What is does is compare two similar things which share in common characteristics which are considered significant, ignoring differences which are thought unimportant.
Mathematicians sometimes start off by stating the obvious, so that it's there to be seen and read. "X = X" simply says that X is identical to itself; it is equal to itself; and this is always the case. This is a precursor to, for example, saying that X is (or is not) equal to some other quantity, distinct from itself.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:I wonder if, in practice, and for reasons that are purely pragmatic, we should embrace "illogical thinking"? Such 'thinking' plays an enormous part in human social culture, and without it, we cannot understand it or participate in it. 🤔 Just a thought....
What kind of thinking do you have in mind? I'd guess you're probably thinking of things like immediate emotional reactions. If so, I 'd say "alogical" is probably more appropriate a term than "illogical". i.e. mental phenomena which don't involve reasoning.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:58 am
Pattern-chaser wrote:I wonder if, in practice, and for reasons that are purely pragmatic, we should embrace "illogical thinking"? Such 'thinking' plays an enormous part in human social culture, and without it, we cannot understand it or participate in it. 🤔 Just a thought....
What kind of thinking do you have in mind? I'd guess you're probably thinking of things like immediate emotional reactions. If so, I 'd say "alogical" is probably more appropriate a term than "illogical". i.e. mental phenomena which don't involve reasoning.
OK, agreed. I was simply using the words that chewybrian used. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:29 am "Recognise" seems like too strong a term. What you have written seems to resemble an unexpected and inappropriate straw man attempt to excuse or justify racism, worthy of the current POTUS. Is this intended as some kind of refutation of "dialectical reasoning"? If so, please tell us how your words achieve this. I can't see it. No, I don't "recognise this" at all.
No, it was a means to point to the communist aim with BLM. And to show the pathological use of Hegel's dialectic in it's most insidious form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEUbSzOTZ8
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:54 am I wonder if, in practice, and for reasons that are purely pragmatic, we should embrace "illogical thinking"? Such 'thinking' plays an enormous part in human social culture, and without it, we cannot understand it or participate in it. 🤔 Just a thought....
I think you are on to something not only in terms of understanding others and the reasons things might be happening around you, but also as a way to understand yourself. The highest goal of existential therapy is "self-actualization", and creativity is a large component of this. There is a risk in being creative that can give us anxiety, as we wonder if our creations are good enough, even as there is no sure standard by which to judge them. We can create some perfect forms in our minds, and the real creations suffer by comparison.

As we get older, we might, if we are lucky, lose some of our fears of fitting in and trying to see the world as a place that does or should make sense. We might chuck some of that stuff and focus on being creative and discovering our true selves, rather than trying to form ourselves into what we think others might expect us to be. As a result, we might end up happier than if we only focus on pure logic.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

chewybrian wrote: October 14th, 2020, 11:22 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:54 am I wonder if, in practice, and for reasons that are purely pragmatic, we should embrace "illogical thinking"? Such 'thinking' plays an enormous part in human social culture, and without it, we cannot understand it or participate in it. 🤔 Just a thought....
I think you are on to something not only in terms of understanding others and the reasons things might be happening around you, but also as a way to understand yourself. The highest goal of existential therapy is "self-actualization", and creativity is a large component of this. There is a risk in being creative that can give us anxiety, as we wonder if our creations are good enough, even as there is no sure standard by which to judge them. We can create some perfect forms in our minds, and the real creations suffer by comparison.

As we get older, we might, if we are lucky, lose some of our fears of fitting in and trying to see the world as a place that does or should make sense. We might chuck some of that stuff and focus on being creative and discovering our true selves, rather than trying to form ourselves into what we think others might expect us to be. As a result, we might end up happier than if we only focus on pure logic.
You consider creativity to be illogical, then? I would tend to use Steve3007's suggestion, alogical, for this purpose. Also, I'm unsure whether creativity contributes to "discovering our true selves". I consider myself creative - I earned my living for 40 years in hardware and software design (not what Tracey Emin does, but highly creative nonetheless) - and I value flexibility of thinking highly. But I'm not sure of the direction we're following here. Where is it you want to go with this?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream