The Big Picture: What Does the Future hold?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

The Big Picture: What Does the Future hold?

Post by Sy Borg »

I see the growing wealth gap as a stage of evolution. That is, in time H. sapiens will be out-competed by H. machina, just as H. sapiens out-competed their peer hominids.

Despite human illusions of empowerment, the biosphere continues to evolve without the slightest care as to whether this is what its components (ie. individual humans and other animals) want. Humans believe to be in control, but what I have seen in my life has been societies furiously fudging to hide the fact that they are not in control and do not quite know what they are doing.

So King Donald I, like the rest of humanity, is simply an agent of change. This change will see relatively homogeneous human societies break up into super-powerful and resources central hubs that will be mostly surrounded by relative poverty and desert lands, ie. a continuation of current trends. This is analogous to how our solar system transformed over time from a relatively homogeneous proto-planetary disc to planets surrounded by relatively empty space. It's a good thing - if you are one of the privileged, anyway.

Biology requires functioning ecosystems to survive. That is still true for humans masses, but increasingly not for billionaires, who can easily be kept healthy with advanced food, water and other technologies, and have their supplied defended by automated weapons. That's why they seem so unworried by climate change.

Currently, the wealthiest eight people own more than the poorest 3.9 billion. As corporate behemoths gather an ever greater share of resources, they will have ever less need for the inconvenient and ignorant masses, whose share of wealth will become insignificant. Already corporations (ever more being run by algorithms) are separating from the people. Many large companies have largely stopped paying tax. Many have been buying up their own stock. In time, ever more will focus on B2B transactions - interacting with other super wealthy players.

Humans are already being out-competed by companies ever more run by algorithm, whose operations are ever more automated. We seem to have misread what AI is and the kind of threat it poses to most of us. Chances are that, whatever we do, the above dynamic will play out. Policies today decide on relatively short-term issues and how hard these growing trends hit us, but they will not determine what ultimately happens to humanity, only how it plays out and how much it the change hurts.

One can only hope that H. machina manages to solve at least some of the problems of humans, just as we overcame many of the problems that come from living in the wild.
Sculptor1

Re: The Big Picture: What Does the Future hold?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Greta wrote: October 24th, 2020, 6:35 pm I see the growing wealth gap as a stage of evolution.
Thus far the vast majority of evolutionary pathways have led to extinction.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

But in the broader time sequence, is there a wealth gap increase? I'd much rather be in the bottom quarter in the US currently than be in the second quarter in pre-revolutionary Europe.

In addition, numbers can be misleading. How is the life of a billionaire "better" than someone with "only" 10% of their wealth? Or 1%?
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:11 am But in the broader time sequence, is there a wealth gap increase? I'd much rather be in the bottom quarter in the US currently than be in the second quarter in pre-revolutionary Europe.

In addition, numbers can be misleading. How is the life of a billionaire "better" than someone with "only" 10% of their wealth? Or 1%?
The lives of the poor are better now but, once climate change bites more, their standard of living will plummet, at best.

When more ecosystems start breaking down, the advantage of billions will become more apparent. However, those whose wealth is counted in hundreds of millions will tend to do significant business with billionaires' organisations. The greater the affiliation, the greater the chance of being included in their protective umbrella when the faeces hits the fan.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

This is one possible future:
https://youtu.be/sU8RunvBRZ8
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Arjen wrote: October 25th, 2020, 12:41 pm This is one possible future:
https://youtu.be/sU8RunvBRZ8
I don't see it as humans being the architect of their own demise, any more than the evolution of humans was the architect of apes' demise. The fact is that humans are still apes - so apes are actually doing tremendously well. We humans will remain apes until significant body systems are replaced with digital counterparts, and that is a long way off.

Even when the last human biological organ is gone or has been replaced, and humans are technically extinct, humanity's legacy will remain in every component of their replacements, just as humans retain so much of the various species from which we've evolved - from the first microbes to the last ape common ancestor of great apes.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Greta wrote: October 24th, 2020, 6:35 pm I see the growing wealth gap as a stage of evolution. That is, in time H. sapiens will be out-competed by H. machina, just as H. sapiens out-competed their peer hominids.

Despite human illusions of empowerment, the biosphere continues to evolve without the slightest care as to whether this is what its components (ie. individual humans and other animals) want. Humans believe to be in control, but what I have seen in my life has been societies furiously fudging to hide the fact that they are not in control and do not quite know what they are doing.

So King Donald I, like the rest of humanity, is simply an agent of change. This change will see relatively homogeneous human societies break up into super-powerful and resources central hubs that will be mostly surrounded by relative poverty and desert lands, ie. a continuation of current trends. This is analogous to how our solar system transformed over time from a relatively homogeneous proto-planetary disc to planets surrounded by relatively empty space. It's a good thing - if you are one of the privileged, anyway.

Biology requires functioning ecosystems to survive. That is still true for humans masses, but increasingly not for billionaires, who can easily be kept healthy with advanced food, water and other technologies, and have their supplied defended by automated weapons. That's why they seem so unworried by climate change.

Currently, the wealthiest eight people own more than the poorest 3.9 billion. As corporate behemoths gather an ever greater share of resources, they will have ever less need for the inconvenient and ignorant masses, whose share of wealth will become insignificant. Already corporations (ever more being run by algorithms) are separating from the people. Many large companies have largely stopped paying tax. Many have been buying up their own stock. In time, ever more will focus on B2B transactions - interacting with other super wealthy players.

Humans are already being out-competed by companies ever more run by algorithm, whose operations are ever more automated. We seem to have misread what AI is and the kind of threat it poses to most of us. Chances are that, whatever we do, the above dynamic will play out. Policies today decide on relatively short-term issues and how hard these growing trends hit us, but they will not determine what ultimately happens to humanity, only how it plays out and how much it the change hurts.

One can only hope that H. machina manages to solve at least some of the problems of humans, just as we overcame many of the problems that come from living in the wild.
The tile asks a very general question: What is the future of the big picture (of what)? The thread starts with the growing wealth gap. Then it goes on with the evolution of homo sapiens. The subject seems too unwieldy to focus on. It risks inviting all around to a picnic.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm
Greta wrote: October 24th, 2020, 6:35 pm I see the growing wealth gap as a stage of evolution. That is, in time H. sapiens will be out-competed by H. machina, just as H. sapiens out-competed their peer hominids.

The tile asks a very general question: What is the future of the big picture (of what)? The thread starts with the growing wealth gap. Then it goes on with the evolution of homo sapiens. The subject seems too unwieldy to focus on. It risks inviting all around to a picnic.
What big picture? The big picture of the process that started with the Big Bang and, at least in our galactic neighbourhood, has progressed to high tech societies. Biological evolution is only a small aspect of the changes, not the "end product" but a byway to more advanced entities.

So the growing, extreme and unprecedented level of global wealth gap points us to the future evolution of H. sapiens. The future are the super wealthy - corporations and the ultra-rich, not the masses. While such extreme inequality is painful for many individuals, it's ultimately positive in terms of the world's future. In the larger scheme of things - a gargantuan universe with over a trillion years more development ahead of it - humans' and animals' current problems are akin to a toddler's upsets.

Humanity has come a long way but, then again, so have toddlers - all the way from egg, zygote, blastula, gastula, various other embryonic stages, then foetal stages, and then infancy to a few years. The change from egg to toddler is as profound as the evolution of microbes to Google. It appears that life is not as we see it. We think of ourselves as end products, just in need of refinement. In truth, we are just one more step to complexity.

The ultimate general enlightenment that we ultimately crave - a world without cruelty and ill-will - is not possible for individual hominids. Humanity is collectively acting in a manner skin to blue-green algae two billion years ago (triggered a major extinction event that changed the world forever). Yet, our personal trajectories more echo that of mitochondria, which had apparently evolved from ancient bacteria that became stuck within larger cells (either as a parasite or as prey), a union that ended up exponentially empowering each.

Like mitochondria, individual humans are contained in a "cell" (home), either alone or with some others. The "cells" are rapidly evolving, with rapidly increasing, and ever more essential, connections being formed between homes and the rest of society - like an evolving cellular network.

Another hint: do you notice that individualism is disappearing as each person accesses roughly the same information online? Once people enjoyed and were interested in "eccentrics", whom are now diagnosed and have their individuality medicated out of them. There are increasing "tribal" affiliations, where all members parrot exactly the same motherhood statements about the world, often word for word. Then they complain about political correctness, when the PC within their own ranks is more strict than anything in society. This also harks to the rise in authoritarianism and cults of personality, eg. Xi, Putin, Trump - all all comes down to an increasing demand for homogeneity.

Personally, I am from another age, one that treasures individuality, so the changes do not suit me at all. However, I can appreciate that things must change. Look at mess of humanity today - hugely unsustainable in our numbers and consumption, yet unwilling to change course. The growing hatreds and cruelties. The removal of natural spaces to be replaced by concrete, tar and steel.

These are, in a sense, all terrible things. They are also catalytic, seemingly leading to a future that transcends humanity's current tendencies towards pettiness and short-term thinking.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Greta wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm
Personally, I am from another age, one that treasures individuality, so the changes do not suit me at all. However, I can appreciate that things must change. Look at mess of humanity today - hugely unsustainable in our numbers and consumption, yet unwilling to change course. The growing hatreds and cruelties. The removal of natural spaces to be replaced by concrete, tar and steel.

These are, in a sense, all terrible things. They are also catalytic, seemingly leading to a future that transcends humanity's current tendencies towards pettiness and short-term thinking.
...or to one that ends it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: October 25th, 2020, 8:13 am
LuckyR wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:11 am But in the broader time sequence, is there a wealth gap increase? I'd much rather be in the bottom quarter in the US currently than be in the second quarter in pre-revolutionary Europe.

The lives of the poor are better now but, once climate change bites more, their standard of living will plummet, at best.

When more ecosystems start breaking down, the advantage of billions will become more apparent. However, those whose wealth is counted in hundreds of millions will tend to do significant business with billionaires' organisations. The greater the affiliation, the greater the chance of being included in their protective umbrella when the faeces hits the fan.
That is entirely possible, though is a commentary on climate change not wealth inequality. That is, your guess on the implications of climate change aren't improved with a thriving middle class.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:22 am
Greta wrote: October 25th, 2020, 8:13 am

That is entirely possible, though is a commentary on climate change not wealth inequality. That is, your guess on the implications of climate change aren't improved with a thriving middle class.
Yes, I don't much fancy the future of the middle class, other than upwardly mobile upper middle class. Funny thing, isn't it? We thought we'd outgrown class divisions, and still often pretend that we live in classless societies, but royalty and the classes have once again emerged. In the longer term, I can only see these divisions widening.

Consider how humans separated from other apes, how their "wealth gap" widened. At first they would have only been doing a bit better than other apes; we would have been peers, competitors. Now we talk about their conservation status. Homo machina may one day have conservation concerns about natural humans.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Let me begin by saying that my comments here are minor, and don't address the main thread of your argument. 😉

Greta wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm There are increasing "tribal" affiliations, where all members parrot exactly the same motherhood statements about the world, often word for word.
Are these affiliations "tribal"? I recognise "tribal" as more or less synonymous with "communal", an extension of "family" into larger social groupings. Rather, I think these affiliations are a symptom of our modern preference to ignore and dismiss 'experts', and to create truth by constant repetition, instead of basing our belief(s) on facts. It seems to me that this is mostly down to American Libertarianism, the cult of the (selfish and greedy) individual, who has all kinds of 'rights' (and no duties or responsibilities), and who revile the "government" as an enemy of the people (i.e. not an enemy of the people at all, but an enemy of the 'individual').

Greta wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm Personally, I am from another age, one that treasures individuality...
I think I am from an earlier age still, a transitional age that treasures the balance between the individual and the community. Earlier again, we 'knew our place', and respected our 'betters', but that's my grand-parents' time.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 27th, 2020, 10:05 amAre these affiliations "tribal"? I recognise "tribal" as more or less synonymous with "communal", an extension of "family" into larger social groupings. Rather, I think these affiliations are a symptom of our modern preference to ignore and dismiss 'experts', and to create truth by constant repetition, instead of basing our belief(s) on facts. It seems to me that this is mostly down to American Libertarianism, the cult of the (selfish and greedy) individual, who has all kinds of 'rights' (and no duties or responsibilities), and who revile the "government" as an enemy of the people (i.e. not an enemy of the people at all, but an enemy of the 'individual').
Hence the inverted commas. The behaviour is tribal - as opposed to reasoning and unbiased.
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 27th, 2020, 10:05 am
I think I am from an earlier age still, a transitional age that treasures the balance between the individual and the community. Earlier again, we 'knew our place', and respected our 'betters', but that's my grand-parents' time.
You raise an important point - the friction (and frission) between the individual and the group.

In the future, humans will clearly be very much more controlled than they are today. With facial recognition technology, compulsory digital currency issued by governments, the UBI (since most jobs will be automated), GPS and implantable technology, the worlds of Orwell and Huxley loom large.

The more that humans are controlled, the more that large corporations, cities and nations will resemble super-organisms - a state of integration that lies between that of colonies and organisms. It appears that multicellularity is once again emerging, but on a larger scale.

If, in the future, societies become as integrated as organisms, there I expect that most, if not all, of the human individuals that would effectively be acting as a microbiome would have no idea that this larger being existed. Just as microbiomes have no sense of the organism that they support.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: October 27th, 2020, 5:25 am
LuckyR wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:22 am

Yes, I don't much fancy the future of the middle class, other than upwardly mobile upper middle class. Funny thing, isn't it? We thought we'd outgrown class divisions, and still often pretend that we live in classless societies, but royalty and the classes have once again emerged. In the longer term, I can only see these divisions widening.

Consider how humans separated from other apes, how their "wealth gap" widened. At first they would have only been doing a bit better than other apes; we would have been peers, competitors. Now we talk about their conservation status. Homo machina may one day have conservation concerns about natural humans.
Yeah, I know. I saw the Terminator.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream