The Path of Knowledge versus The Path of Wisdom

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Pattern-chaser
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: The Path of Knowledge versus The Path of Wisdom

Post by Pattern-chaser » November 11th, 2020, 9:13 am

Ecurb wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 10:54 am
Wisdom suggests the ability to use knowledge, reason, understanding and insight.
That's about as well put as it could be. Wisdom is one of those words - and there are many! - that we all understand, but their definitions and meanings are diffuse, and probably not possible to state precisely. I think it is a mistake to assume that ignorance precludes wisdom; the two are not closely associated, I don't think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser » November 14th, 2020, 9:29 am

Twitter wrote:'The difference between a clever person and a wise person? A clever person can get themselves out of a situation a wise person would not have got into.' - old Hebrew proverb
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards » November 14th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Pattern-chaser wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:29 am
Twitter wrote:'The difference between a clever person and a wise person? A clever person can get themselves out of a situation a wise person would not have got into.' - old Hebrew proverb
Love it.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » November 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm

I reckon wisdom is easy - Try to be happy, and try to be kind.

Sounds too easy to be right, but I think it is, and it took a lot to get there.

It's the knowledge and determination to actually do it which is tricky. And the route might not be the same for everybody.

Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser » November 16th, 2020, 11:49 am

Gertie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm

It's the knowledge and determination to actually do it which is tricky. And the route might not be the same for everybody.
"Wisdom" also communicates something along the lines of understanding. Your definition seems to bypass this, rather necessary, part of wisdom?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Clapper tongue
New Trial Member

Post by Clapper tongue » November 16th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Absolutely not cheating. One does not, should not, live in the thoughts of another (unless one is teaching it. This is the rub of being a professional academic: So busy analyzing and synthesizing for publication, presenting the philosophy of so and so clearly and accurately, there is no time to bring ideas to life independently. Every utterance is, well, Quine tells us...., or Sartre's thoughts here are....).

I think philosophy is nothing if not taken as an integral, interpretative part of living. It should be one's "religion".

I wholeheartedly agree it's almost impossible to start with a clean sheet, sadly most of what you hear are quotes.for me knowledge,wisdom and art are inextricably linked.
Knowledge to know temptation exists
Wisdom to recognize it
And the art to avoid it

Gertie

Post by Gertie » November 16th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Pattern-chaser wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 11:49 am
Gertie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm

"Wisdom" also communicates something along the lines of understanding. Your definition seems to bypass this, rather necessary, part of wisdom?
Yeah that's true. I the think the toolkit for getting to what is the right way to live your life can involve in lots of things really. And a lot of trial and error - experience plus reflection is a really effective practical teacher. I don't do enough of the latter, or do it productively at least.

And if for example Stoicism provides someone with a toolkit which is a good fit, that's great.

I'm more ad hoc, but the goal of Try to Be Happy, and Try to be Kind is a good one to keep in mind amidst day to day distractions. It distills what I think wisdom is about, whatever route you take. Just easier said than done!

Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser » November 17th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Clapper tongue wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 5:52 pm
I think philosophy is nothing if not taken as an integral, interpretative part of living. It should be one's "religion".
Agreed! 👍 I get confused by people whose philosophies seem to be for academic and discussion purposes only. They don't really believe what their philosophy tells them. Weird.... 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Clapper tongue
New Trial Member

Post by Clapper tongue » November 17th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I am new to all this ,so please be patient I need to get to grips with how the site works,
I have always maintained that education was no guarantee of wisdom and dare I say it, filling your head with other people's conclusions leaves little room to form your own. I began asking questions when I became aware of my own mortality, you could say I started at the end. It may not be a bad starting point .