The true solution to Russell's paradox

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
philosopher19

Re: The true solution to Russell's paradox

Post by philosopher19 »

RJG wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:45 am
philosopher19 wrote:..."is a member of itself" (...and "members of themselves").
Phil, this phrase (above) is scattered throughout much of what you write, which raises a red flag to me. Maybe set theory allows this, but from a purely logical or mathematical perspective this is an impossibility. X can never be outside/inside itself, or before/after itself, or anything but itself, for X<X is a logical and mathematical impossibility. But since I am not familiar with set theory I can't really disagree with what you say here.
I understand and I don't want you to engage in something that you are not comfortable with. But simply put, is the set of all existing things anything other than Existence (that which exists everywhere by definition or that which is Omnipresent) Is It Itself not an existing thing? So isn't It Itself a member of Itself?

Do you not think Existence to be Self-Sufficient and Self-Sustaining and Self-Contingent?

I would describe Existence as the true Self, or the true member of Itself. What do you make of the following:

I am in Existence and Existence Is in me

There's no end to the Existence in me when one focuses on the Infinitesimal. There's also no end to the Existence that is outside of me when one focuses on the Infinite. Since I am in Existence and Existence Is in me (as opposed to non-Existence being in me), does it not follow, that from my point of view, Existence Is In Existence?

Consider a list of all lists. Note that our focus has shifted here from existents, to lists. Is it not the case that a list of all lists actually lists itself? Existence Itself exists, only because It exists. All other existents exist because Existence Exists.

Consider the meaning of 'meaning'. The meaning of 'meaning' is just one meaning. All triangle are shapes. All triangles are members of the semantic of shape. Is it not the case that all meanings are meanings? Is it not the case that all meanings are members of the meaning of 'meaning'? As existents, all meanings are members of the existent Existence. As meanings, all meanings are members of the meaning of 'meaning'.

I don't want to force you into a discussion. I just want to offer you what may be of interest or benefit to you. If this is not a discussion you're comfortable with (because you say you are not familiar with set theory) or would like to have, then I understand. But you are aware of the semantic of 'set'. You are also aware of all other semantics. That is all you need. What Frege proposed was a theory that was true to the semantic of 'set'. He just couldn't explain it properly (as evidenced by his inability to respond to Russell's question) and then he thought his understanding of the semantic of 'set' was actually absurd (when it fact it wasn't).
RJG

Post by RJG »

philosopher19 wrote:But simply put, is the set of all existing things anything other than Existence (that which exists everywhere by definition or that which is Omnipresent) Is It Itself not an existing thing? So isn't It Itself a member of Itself?
This is how I see it (wrongly or rightly) - "Existence" or "the set of all existing things" is not an actual "thing" and therefore does not contradict itself (i.e. "a member of itself" contradicts logic; X<X is impossible).

"Existence" is a mental construct; an abstraction that represents all existing things, but is not a thing itself. In other words, "Existence" is just a bodily experience; a mental thought; which itself is a composition of sensory experiences formed by the rules of our language residing in memory, and therefore not a "thing" (noun), but more an action; "experience" (verb).

Again, this is just my best (wholly biased) stab at it. I am in no position to question or invalidate your view or understanding. That's about all I have left to contribute to this discussion. You have certainly given much more thought to this than I have.

Thanks for the good mental exercise, I've enjoyed it, but now must move on, ...until we meet again!
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:"Existence" is a mental construct; an abstraction that represents all existing things, but is not a thing itself.
Given that Phil idiosyncratically uses the word "Existence" to denote "the set of all existing things", I agree with you here. Sets are abstract concepts, not real things in themselves.

(We have some common ground! :D )
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

RJG wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:09 am
philosopher19 wrote:But simply put, is the set of all existing things anything other than Existence (that which exists everywhere by definition or that which is Omnipresent) Is It Itself not an existing thing? So isn't It Itself a member of Itself?
This is how I see it (wrongly or rightly) - "Existence" or "the set of all existing things" is not an actual "thing" and therefore does not contradict itself (i.e. "a member of itself" contradicts logic; X<X is impossible).

"Existence" is a mental construct; an abstraction that represents all existing things, but is not a thing itself. In other words, "Existence" is just a bodily experience; a mental thought; which itself is a composition of sensory experiences formed by the rules of our language residing in memory, and therefore not a "thing" (noun), but more an action; "experience" (verb).

Again, this is just my best (wholly biased) stab at it. I am in no position to question or invalidate your view or understanding. That's about all I have left to contribute to this discussion. You have certainly given much more thought to this than I have.

Thanks for the good mental exercise, I've enjoyed it, but now must move on, ...until we meet again!
Ok, but if you fancy more mental exercises, then here you go:

So you don't think Existence is an actual existing thing. What about the Omnipresent? Is the Omnipresent an actual exiting thing? Can we say that it exists everywhere? And with that being the case, can we say Existence (where Existence = that which is Omnipresent) exists everywhere?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

philosopher19 wrote:What about the Omnipresent? Is the Omnipresent an actual exiting thing? Can we say that it exists everywhere? And with that being the case, can we say Existence (where Existence = that which is Omnipresent) exists everywhere?
You seem to have a longstanding fondness for fallacies of ambiguity/equivocation - either giving something a different name in the hope that that will somehow change something (as in the above case) or using the same word for two different concepts but using the fact that it's the same word to obfuscate this. You do this with the word "Existence" (variously with an upper or lower case 'E', depending on how much you want to try to make the identity between It and God) to mean two different things, but then claiming things about it based on the fact that those two different usages have the same letters in the same order.

This has been pointed out to you quite a few times. You've ignored it. I guess you'll just keep ignoring and repeating?
RJG

Post by RJG »

philosopher19" wrote:So you don't think Existence is an actual existing thing. What about the Omnipresent?
philosopher19, I think we (you and I) are using these words in different contexts or meanings, and is the reason for my confusion in understanding what you are really saying.

For example, from my perspective, "existence" is just a property of some object. Existence is not the object itself. An object has existence or it doesn't. It is real or it is imaginary.

And similarly, "omnipresent" is again just a property of some object. Omnipresent is not the object itself. An object that "exists everywhere" is an "omnipresent" object. For example, "God is omnipresent" means God is the object that exists everywhere.

philosopher19 wrote:Can we say that it exists everywhere?
What is "it"? …does "it" = "objects", ...or "objects that exist everywhere"?

philosopher19 wrote:And with that being the case, can we say Existence (where Existence = that which is Omnipresent) exists everywhere?
I think you are trying to say -- "stuff (that exists) exists everywhere", or "there is nowhere where stuff does not exist". Is this what you are saying?
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

RJG wrote: March 15th, 2021, 9:49 pm And similarly, "omnipresent" is again just a property of some object. Omnipresent is not the object itself. An object that "exists everywhere" is an "omnipresent" object. For example, "God is omnipresent" means God is the object that exists everywhere.
Take x to be the object that exists everywhere (the omnipresent). Is it not the case that x necessarily exists? Can you have two worlds or universes separated by non-existence? No, therefore one x is omnipresent, and it encompasses all worlds, realities, beings, and so on.

All things that exist, actually exist. x itself exists. All things that exist, exist as a member of x (as opposed to existing as members of non-existence or outside the omnipresent). Do you agree with this so far?
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 5:50 am
philosopher19 wrote:What about the Omnipresent? Is the Omnipresent an actual exiting thing? Can we say that it exists everywhere? And with that being the case, can we say Existence (where Existence = that which is Omnipresent) exists everywhere?
You seem to have a longstanding fondness for fallacies of ambiguity/equivocation - either giving something a different name in the hope that that will somehow change something (as in the above case) or using the same word for two different concepts but using the fact that it's the same word to obfuscate this. You do this with the word "Existence" (variously with an upper or lower case 'E', depending on how much you want to try to make the identity between It and God) to mean two different things, but then claiming things about it based on the fact that those two different usages have the same letters in the same order.

This has been pointed out to you quite a few times. You've ignored it. I guess you'll just keep ignoring and repeating?

What seems crystal clear to me, does not seem crystal clear to you. I have concluded that we cannot find any meaningful common ground with regards to the topic at hand. This is why I stopped discussing the matter with you. You say things have been pointed out to me, and I have pointed things out. We have not found common ground.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

philosopher19 wrote:...We have not found common ground.
Yes, I can see why if two people disagree on fundamentals that there's no point continuing a discussion. But I still find it puzzling that you can't seem to see where you're committing basic fallacies of ambiguity and using words in hopelessly muddled ways.

Still, it was interesting chatting, albeit briefly. All the best, Steve.
RJG

Post by RJG »

philosopher19 wrote:Take x to be the object that exists everywhere (the omnipresent). Is it not the case that x necessarily exists?
Yes, if X exists everywhere, then it necessarily exists.

philosopher19 wrote:Can you have two worlds or universes separated by non-existence? No, therefore one x is omnipresent, and it encompasses all worlds, realities, beings, and so on.
Okay, if this X is omnipresent, then it exists everywhere, agreed.

philosopher19 wrote:All things that exist, actually exist. X itself exists.
Okay, I don't disagree.

philosopher19 wrote:All things that exist, exist as a member of x (as opposed to existing as members of non-existence or outside the omnipresent).
This is where you lose me (or I lose you). How can something logically be a member of itself? - I think what you have actually proved is that X infinitely exists. In other words, since X cannot logically be a member of itself, therefore if it exists, it must 'infinitely' exist.

philosopher19 wrote:Do you agree with this so far?
I agree that, that which exists, has always, infinitely existed; i.e. has never not-existed.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:35 am All the best, Steve.
Cheers Steve.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

RJG wrote: March 17th, 2021, 7:36 am This is where you lose me (or I lose you). How can something logically be a member of itself? - I think what you have actually proved is that X infinitely exists. In other words, since X cannot logically be a member of itself, therefore if it exists, it must 'infinitely' exist.
I don't mean a member of itself like a box containing itself and yet being outside of itself at the same time. I mean something like this:

All existents are contingent on the Omnipresent for their existing (including the Omnipresent Itself because It is an existent. So the Omnipresent is self-contingent. Only the Omnipresent is self-contingent with regards to existing. All other things are non-self contingent precisely because they are contingent on the Omnipresent for their existing). If X (the Omnipresent) did not exist, then no existent would exist. Thus, all existents are dependent on X for their existing. In this sense (in the sense of existing), all existents are members of X, including Itself.
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

Though I've understood the logic behind's Russell's paradox for long enough, I have to admit I've never really understood why mathematicians and mathematical historians thought it so important. Most of them mark its formulation as an epochal moment in mathematics, it seems to me. To my uneducated self, Russell's paradox seems almost like a trick question, like a child asking what the largest organism on Earth is, and getting back an answer talking about a giant fungus.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream