Truth (true-ness) versus a statement (an assertion) OF truth

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Hans-Werner Hammen

Re: Truth (true-ness) versus a statement (an assertion) OF truth

Post by Hans-Werner Hammen »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:48 am No, I think proof does (or can) exist. However, proof must have a proper context, and maybe some other things, if it is to be a genuine proof. A claim to proof should be carefully examined. Many proofs are valid only because they rely on things that we have defined to be true, without demonstration or ... proof. In such cases, we must be aware of what this does to the validity of any proof that depends on these pre-defined 'truths'.
If we define "proof can be seen" or is, per se, as such detectable by a device, then proof DOES exist.
IOW I consider, I deem the symbol "proof" to be categorically ambiguous.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:48 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:06 am ...just as reality cannot be proven, and probably for the same reasons. Reality just is. Truth likewise, I think. But it's often difficult to agree with everyone what is true, what is opinion (belief), and what is just confused, uncertain or unknown. Hey, that's life! 🙂
Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:20 am I disagree and I agree in the same instant.
Proof is yet another abstract object - proof is no-thing FROM/ABOUT some-thing iow proof DOES NOT EXIST.
All that DOEs exist, is the assertion OF proof.
No, I think proof does (or can) exist. However, proof must have a proper context, and maybe some other things, if it is to be a genuine proof. A claim to proof should be carefully examined. Many proofs are valid only because they rely on things that we have defined to be true, without demonstration or ... proof. In such cases, we must be aware of what this does to the validity of any proof that depends on these pre-defined 'truths'.
You don't think it's no-thing FROM/ABOUT?

:lol:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Terrapin Station wrote: December 31st, 2020, 11:36 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:48 am

No, I think proof does (or can) exist. However, proof must have a proper context, and maybe some other things, if it is to be a genuine proof. A claim to proof should be carefully examined. Many proofs are valid only because they rely on things that we have defined to be true, without demonstration or ... proof. In such cases, we must be aware of what this does to the validity of any proof that depends on these pre-defined 'truths'.
You don't think it's no-thing FROM/ABOUT?

:lol:

If I was clear what those words are intended to mean, I might respond.... 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Hans-Werner Hammen

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 31st, 2020, 11:47 am If I was clear what those words are intended to mean, I might respond.... 😉
I think that I have intellectually approached / penetrated the symbol "truth".
Any truth is per se no-thing (imaginary) elicited, made up, fabricated, faked FROM/ABOUT some-thing (real)
The assertion of this is in the topic I created.

I am yet to intellectually approach / penetrate the symbol "proof" :shock: :oops: :wink:
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:33 am
h_k_s wrote: December 30th, 2020, 5:09 amPlato, Socrates, and Pontius Pilate were all aware that truth is hard to define or to discover let alone to prove.
I am totally subscribed to the saying, that truth is in the eye of the beholder, and so I agree.
Truth can neither be discovered (found, observed) nor be created (invented) by someone and then be discovered by someone else.

I wonder why you put an emphasis on "to prove" via the symbol "let alone"
Isn't all that we can discover (observe), and all that someone created (invented) which again we can discover (observe) a proof of it-self?

Anyways, truth cannot be proven, but I am surprised from/about the assertion that truth be hard to define.

My favorite definition is
"Wahrheit = Wahr-GENOMMEN-heit = Beobachtet-heit" equivalent to
truth = true-ness (Wahr-heit) = true-TAKEN-ness = observed-ness

which is accurately symbolized via "Reference" = "thought" or "awareness" in the Semiotic Triangle,
whereas all that is originally there to be discovered (observed) is called Referent and each and any assertion, created/invented FROM/ABOUT a Referent is called a symbol.

Sire KR Popper symbolizes all that is originally there by "world1" and all that is created/invented by "world3" = "material-IZATION of the human thought" and he symbolized, afaik unknowingly, truth through he's "world2" = "thought"

I assert (define) truth = thought and vice versa, thought = truth =
= subject-ization = abstract object = no-thing elcited, made up, fabricated FROM/ABOUT some-thing.

The entirety of the assertions above (definitions) is true = useful to me, they are assertions OF truth = OF trueness = OF usefulness.

A conspicuous example is the answer to the question, whether laws are discovered or invented.

Each and every law (of a game, of legislature, of logic, of morality, of physics) is -
per se, iow as such, it-self, on its own, in its own right, in its very essence -
a thought, an abstract object, no-thing, does not exist, cannot either be discovered nor created (invented)

All that was discovered (Referents, world1) is some-thing rather than no-thing, and all that was invented on this occasion (symbol, world3), it is, again some-thing: The law-text = the utteration = assertion = material-IZATION - OF a law, OF a thought that is.

The law (a truth) is imaginary, does not exist - does not cause any-thing that is.
Only the law-text, iow the assertion OF a law (OF a truth) is a causal agency - BUT! towards an object which can in a way or another react-, iow observe if not even obey- submit to the law text.

Now, I have read that some "laws" where defined as merely descriptive and predictive, while other laws were defined as "prescriptive if not even proscriptive".

I assert that only the law-text can be - be DEEMED that is - descriptive, predictive, prescriptive and proscriptive.

I assert that a book with law-texts of physics in it, rather than be DEEMED "merely descriptive and predictive" - can also be, very well, DEEMED pre- and pro-scriptive, namely towards any ingeneer, who will observe and readily submit to- and obey the law text. Bcz only then will the ingeneer create some-thing which can be deemed useful, functional that is. It does not even take the utteration of a threat (punishment such as incarceration) in the law text, in order to have the ingeneer submit to the law text. The ingeneer will otherwise be punished by a non functional invention.
That is a fabulous discussion of the limits of human understanding. Thank you.

Even Federal, state, and local civil and criminal laws are subject to interpretation, and only have effect to the extent that appeals courts reviewing them agree.

And appeals courts as we have seen are all political too. And international law is a farce.

Medical practice is definitely subjective and still evolving. I hope these new Covid immunizations work.

Science in all its forms and incantations is subjective and still evolving.

Religion holy moly is always evolving not to mention becoming more and more corrupt.

Pure human thought through philosophy is the only hope for mankind, but even philosophy can become bastardized as by the Sophists of ancient Athens with their subjectivism. They killed Socrates and they banished Aristotle from Athens so he had to flee forever.

That's not to say that philosophy is not subjective, but it must not become totally subjective.
evolution

Post by evolution »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:17 am
evolution wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:30 am How do you answer the question, where does space end and when did time start, especially considering it is 'you' who vehemently claims that there is no-thing as space nor time?
Thank you yet again,
for your proclamation (symbolize, assertion, definition) OF your defeat in a discourse you are incapable of intellectually following;

All THAT "there is" is proclaimed (symbolized, asserted, defined) some-thing
In other words your assertion "it is 'you' who vehemently claims that there is no-thing as space nor time" is a lie.
IF you did vehemently claim what I claim you did, then this is NOT a "lie", AT ALL.

However if you did NOT vehemently claim what I claim you did, then PROVE that.
Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:17 am Everybody can verify for themselves that all that I am repeating usque ad nauseam "space and time - each is no-thing".
If, so named, "everybody" can verify this, then what I said would OBVIOUSLY NOT be a "lie".
Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:17 am Secondly I am waiting for your answer to my question.
Look, I have already addressed this question times and again, whether you believe me or not...
The answers (some-thing) of mine (of some-body) are THERE... just not HERE, that is.
composed in German language and in English language.

Kindest cigars and very best dishes are coming to you - you know, from THERE, for instance from GERMANY
WHAT QUESTION? There is OBVIOUSLY NONE HERE, in this post.

By the way what you wrote here makes NO sense, AT ALL, to me.
evolution

Post by evolution »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:28 am LMAO I almost forgot about THIS!!!
evolution wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:11 am
Do you REALLY NOT RECOGNIZE and SEE the ABSURD CONTRADICTION here?
But, HOW and WHY this is OBVIOUSLY the case, is because YOUR questions here have ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED, properly AND correctly, FIRST.
identity, distinction, and contradiction each is -
per se - id est: As such, it-self, on its own, in its own right, in its very essence
a truth iow is imaginary: Is "in the eye of the beholder"
And, according to your OWN, so called, "logic" what you wrote here was in relation to is ALSO 'imaginary', and thus NOT the truth AT ALL.

Therefore, what you wrote is just NOT true.
Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:28 am the beholder beholds some-thing
either a detectable object (Referent)
or a detectable assertion (Symbol) of a truth (Reference) - FROM/ABOUT a Referent

When did time start?
Where does space end?
As suggested I know the answer, in other words I know an assertion that I deem veeeery true = useful,
satifyingly explaining, dear friend.
And I have asked you, a couple of times now, for your answer.

So, WHY will you NOT provide the answers to these questions, which you have posed?

What is 'it' you are hiding or are afraid of here, EXACTLY?
evolution

Post by evolution »

Terrapin Station wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:39 am
evolution wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:14 am

Welcome to trying to start to understand "han-werner hammen".
Right. Although so far I see it as giving folks a taste of their own medicine, lol
EVERY one of us has trouble FULLY understanding each other, and, also being FULLY understood ourselves, correct?
Hans-Werner Hammen

h_k_s wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:32 pm Religion holy moly is always evolving not to mention becoming more and more corrupt.
Thank you for your input!
IF we deem the assertion "Religion evolves" = "Religion changes over generations and generations" to be TRUE,
Then Religion is per se, as such, some-thing.
All that is no-thing merely made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing, it cannot change let alone evolve for the simple reason that it does not exist in the very first place.

References are - per se, as such - immutable!

I define "any Religion is essentially composed of assertions, which assertion I deem to be religious"
and i define "religious assertion" as asserting that a Reference = no-thing (see above), it can act.
Did you know that "action" symbolizes "change"?
Even if you are merely watching an object, the object being observed as well as the observer are continually changing, SURE IS this change is generally veeeery little.

Any religious assertion is not necessarily a theistic-, iow not a theistically-religious assertion.
One example of a common, non-theistic yet religious assertion is
"brethen and sisteren, come and behold, verily I say unto THEE:
4 forces are ACTING upon matter"

Now, why can this assertion be deemed "religious"?!
Beware: The question is - obviously - NOT for my creationist evolution friend.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote
All that is no-thing merely made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing,
Then it is the something that lies at the heart of the true nature of religion, and not that which imputed to it in all the various assertions and narratives. So, what IS this "something" that religion is really all about?
Hans-Werner Hammen

thrasymachus wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:15 am
Hans-Werner Hammen wrote
All that is no-thing merely made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing,
Then it is the something that lies at the heart of the true nature of religion, and not that which imputed to it in all the various assertions and narratives. So, what IS this "something" that religion is really all about?
At the heart of a religious assertion (that no-thing be somehow some-thing) IS the universe as such.
For an example all that the gaseous matter (atmosphere) is acting such as thunder and thunderbolt lightning.
For another extremely conspicuous example all that the sun and the other celestial bodies are doing, and you might consider researching the "astro-THEO-logical origin" of MonoTheism.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote
At the heart of a religious assertion (that no-thing be somehow some-thing) IS the universe as such.
For an example all that the gaseous matter (atmosphere) is acting such as thunder and thunderbolt lightning.
For another extremely conspicuous example all that the sun and the other celestial bodies are doing, and you might consider researching the "astro-THEO-logical origin" of MonoTheism.
But the universe as such is not the sun and other celestial bodies, for these are just designations provided by history's story telling. Go a bit further: the "as such" of something. What is this about?
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Hans-Werner Hammen wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 6:41 am
h_k_s wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:32 pm Religion holy moly is always evolving not to mention becoming more and more corrupt.
Thank you for your input!
IF we deem the assertion "Religion evolves" = "Religion changes over generations and generations" to be TRUE,
Then Religion is per se, as such, some-thing.
All that is no-thing merely made up FROM/ABOUT some-thing, it cannot change let alone evolve for the simple reason that it does not exist in the very first place.

References are - per se, as such - immutable!

I define "any Religion is essentially composed of assertions, which assertion I deem to be religious"
and i define "religious assertion" as asserting that a Reference = no-thing (see above), it can act.
Did you know that "action" symbolizes "change"?
Even if you are merely watching an object, the object being observed as well as the observer are continually changing, SURE IS this change is generally veeeery little.

Any religious assertion is not necessarily a theistic-, iow not a theistically-religious assertion.
One example of a common, non-theistic yet religious assertion is
"brethen and sisteren, come and behold, verily I say unto THEE:
4 forces are ACTING upon matter"

Now, why can this assertion be deemed "religious"?!
Beware: The question is - obviously - NOT for my creationist evolution friend.
Ok then, to continue this dialogue in terms of word definitions, I will need to provide a legitimate word definition, before we proceed any further:

(Beginning of quote.)

re·​li·​gion | \ ri-ˈli-jən \

Definition of religion

1a: the state of a religious person:
a nun in her 20th year of religion

b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural

(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3: archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion

(End of quote.)

Ergo I had #2 supra in mind when I used the term. As such the word denotes something that is indeed intangible, although since residing intangibly within the minds of its adherents, it does denote "something." Being intangible does not mean there is no such thing. It just means it is a "thing" which happens to be intangible.

This is a side issue. Not sure why you have taken us down this tangential path @Hans-Werner Hammen .

My point was that this intangible thing evolves with the passage of time. This set of attitudes, beliefs, and practices by Pope and plebe develop and change with the passage of years, having begun in the case of Hinduism sometime before the first millennium BCE, in the cases of Zoroastrianism, Confucianism, and Buddhism sometime before the 7th Century BCE, in the case of Judaism sometime before the 12th Century BCE, in the case of Christianity sometime during the 1st Century CE (aka AD), and in the case of Islam sometime during the 7th Century CE.

Historians and students of history have noted its many changes specifically within these enumerated examples.

Q.E.D.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

evolution, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

People usually end up on my ignore list due to verbosity. Verbosity is a Sophist fallacy.

People who get put on my ignore list rarely come off it again. It's very rare.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream