You Can’t Love One person if You Can’t Love Everyone

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: You Can’t Love One person if You Can’t Love Everyone

Post by Alias »

I think Shakespeare was better at this then Fromm
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It's not true love in the same way as a migrant is not a true Scotsman.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Evolution25 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 9:40 am Erich Fromm according to his book the Art of Loving that you cannot love one person if you cannot love everyone..
He is not only wrong, but the concerse is true.

You cannot love unless you know how to hate.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Have you noticed that people who claim to "love everyone" always turn out to have some kind of subtle defect, which makes them incapable of forming deep personal bonds?
True philosophy points to the Moon
Evolution25
New Trial Member

Post by Evolution25 »

Alias, you say you love someone because they already make you feel a certain way to begin with. But how does it get to a point where you feel a certain way about someone? They must do or act in a way that makes you feel loved. It can be from the way they speak to you, the way they look in your eyes, attentively listen to you, the way they smile or the way they make you feel a sense of importance causes you love that someone. In a way, you benefit, thus you love.
Evolution25
New Trial Member

Post by Evolution25 »

Alias wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:27 pm
I benefit and you benefit. Like a transaction when you purchase a product.
I already explained the difference once. You either love somebody or you don't. They either love you or they don't.
You can make all sorts of deals about all sort of other things with all sorts of people, whether you love them or not.
You can offer your child a trip to the amusement park if he gets all A's, but you can't stop loving him, even if he fails.
Love itself is not negotiable - simply because it's not controllable.
It's difficult to stop loving your child even if he/she fails. Overall, having someone who depends on you gives you a sense of responsibility, gives your life purpose, a reason to exist. So you benefit. Transactional. You give, child gives. 8)
Alias

Post by Alias »

Evolution25 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:12 pm Alias, you say you love someone because they already make you feel a certain way to begin with.
I didn't say 'to begin with'; I said 'because'.
But how does it get to a point where you feel a certain way about someone?
The development of love is individual and particular. No two relationships are alike - and that includes every kind of love, fondness, devotion and passion, of all depths, colours and degrees. Every one unique.
They must do or act in a way that makes you feel loved.
Why? I thought this was about you loving someone or something else, not them loving you.
The man who in the poem is supposed to have said "I could not love thee, Dear, so much, loved I not Honour more." could have meant it quite literally: that his deepest and greatest love was for this concept - which never once acted in a way as to make him feel loved - but without which his self-image would be crippled in all areas of his life.
People love their newborn infants, which can give them nothing and demand everything. People love their icons, their country, and Nature and Music and also very often love other people who are not interested in them at all.
It can be from the way they speak to you, the way they look in your eyes, attentively listen to you, the way they smile or the way they make you feel a sense of importance causes you love that someone. In a way, you benefit, thus you love.
Overall, having someone who depends on you gives you a sense of responsibility, gives your life purpose, a reason to exist. So you benefit. Transactional. You give, child gives.
If you believe that, you're entirely transactional.
I don't suppose you're unique in this - though you may be in much else.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Alias wrote: February 11th, 2021, 3:34 pm I think Shakespeare was better at this then Fromm
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.
Not at all! What Fromm said has nothing to do with what Shakespeare said. Love is a very complicated subject which doesn't refer to humans only. Nice speech but only one version of what love denotes.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Tegularius wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:20 am Not at all! What Fromm said has nothing to do with what Shakespeare said. Love is a very complicated subject which doesn't refer to humans only. Nice speech but only one version of what love denotes.
It's not a speech; it's a sonnet.
He wrote many, all different. Wide range; deep insight; good grasp of subject.
Better cadence than Fromm, too.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Alias wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:02 am
Tegularius wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:20 am Not at all! What Fromm said has nothing to do with what Shakespeare said. Love is a very complicated subject which doesn't refer to humans only. Nice speech but only one version of what love denotes.
It's not a speech; it's a sonnet.
He wrote many, all different. Wide range; deep insight; good grasp of subject.
Better cadence than Fromm, too.
Your right! I should have noticed. It's been quite a while since I read Shakespeare. That being said, Fromm writes very well in what he wants to say, which is true for many, and that's all that's required to make one's ideas understood, whether one agrees or not. It also goes without saying that Shakespeare wrote with better cadence than most of the writers who ever lived. Most, but not all.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:"Erich Fromm according to his book the Art of Loving that you cannot love one person if you cannot love everyone. "

Does he present any sort of justification for that?
Evolution25 wrote:Not that I agree with...Fromm also insinuated that love between a man and another man cannot be real love. :cry:
What is that justification that he presents with which you disagree? Since men make up about half of the population, does he say that men cannot love one person?
Evolution25
New Trial Member

Post by Evolution25 »

Alias wrote: February 11th, 2021, 8:36 pm
They must do or act in a way that makes you feel loved.
Why? I thought this was about you loving someone or something else, not them loving you.
People love their newborn infants, which can give them nothing and demand everything. People love their icons, their country, and Nature and Music and also very often love other people who are not interested in them at all.
A newborn infant gives us a future to look forward to, a personality, brain, body to mold, gives us a reason to wake up everyday to nourish and nurture someone who depend on us provides us a certain type of feeling that gives us purpose, a reason to wake up everyday and live our lives, to live for them. As far as nature goes, plenty of studies show its benefits. Nature is an antidote for stress. It can lower blood pressure, reduce nervous system arousal, enhance immune system function, reduce anxiety and improve mood. These are just some of the reasons why people love nature because it benefits them. An icon, a country and others you mentioned make people feel a certain way that causes them to love. We are emotionally driven creatures. If something meets our emotional needs, it can cause us to love. Benefits. Transaction.
Evolution25
New Trial Member

Post by Evolution25 »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Evolution25 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 9:40 am Erich Fromm according to his book the Art of Loving that you cannot love one person if you cannot love everyone..
He is not only wrong, but the concerse is true.

You cannot love unless you know how to hate.
Hmm, our ability to choose who or what to love or hate allows us to survive. Imagine if we love the direct feel of fire on our skin. :shock:
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

Evolution25 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 9:40 am Erich Fromm according to his book the Art of Loving that you cannot love one person if you cannot love everyone. Do you guys believe in this? Why or why not? He also mentioned that love should NOT be transactional and that you shouldn’t do things for someone because you want something in return. Which is odd because would you give lending ears to your girlfriend or wife(be there for her emotionally) if she is NOT having sex with you(not providing for your sexual desires)?

I personally think that there is a difference between “accepting” everyone and “loving” everyone. For example, I can accept Adolf Hitler for what he has done, I accepted that he was emotionally abused as a child by his father, I accepted that by killing millions of Jews he had changed the world and made society more vigilant of what one damaged man can become and signs we should look for to prevent something like the Holocaust from happening again. But will I ever date someone and even love someone like that? I will have to say no.
I read Fromm's book many years ago and was quite impressed with it at the time, but his argument isn't fresh enough in my mind to speak one way or the other on his behalf about the question you've asked. Just taking a quick look at the Wikipedia article on the book, I see: Fromm presents love as an activity, a skill that can be taught and developed, rejecting the idea of love as a magical and mysterious sensation that cannot be analyzed and explained.

I do agree with this and would also argue that love is not transactional. I've always felt that love is reflected in actions and deeds, not in emotions or words - in other words love is an act of the will, not just a feeling or sentiment that we experience. I think that in our culture it is often mistakenly identified with the emotional states that accompany or motivate love rather than recognized as something distinct from those. While love does involve giving, it cannot be transactional because it must be given freely and unconditionally, without expectation of reward or compensation, which I think is so eloquently captured in the Shakespeare sonnet that Alias posted, in the lines "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds".

Your thread has prompted me to get the book out of the library and read it again - something I've actually been meaning to do for a while now. Once I've had a chance to dig into it a bit more, I'd enjoy continuing the discussion in a little more depth if that's of interest. These are ideas well worth revisiting - thanks for your posts on an interesting topic.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Alias

Post by Alias »

A many-splendoured thing, indeed!

[yid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSF8l_Yh_gY[/yid]

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream