Objective Morality and God

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Objective Morality and God

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm I think of it like ripples in an ocean. If a boulder topples down a cliff into the ocean, its ripples will only go a certain distance before being dissipated by other waves. So the boulder's waves are causally disconnected from most of an ocean. I think of space similarly - a huge field with waves everywhere - criss-crossing, swamping, boosting, cancelling etc. Really, a case could be made for the arena of human thought having similar dynamics.
Yes, I agree with this ... except maybe with some of your conclusions. Once ripples have been established, they never dissipate, but only reduce in amplitude, never reaching zero. The wave (ripple) never disappears.

In its early stages, when a ripple is at its strongest, it interacts with other ripples most obviously. But these interactions continue forever, at ever-lower (but non-zero) amplitudes.

So yes, I think of space as "a huge field with waves everywhere - criss-crossing, swamping, boosting, cancelling etc." But they never dissipate fully. As a ripple progresses, it interacts with all the other ripples, affecting them and thereby the whole. And, in this way, it leaves its effect(s) behind. In fact, it's sort-of true to say that ripples are immortal, in the way I have just described.

A case could be made for comparing this with the impact individual human lives have, during their own tenure here, on life, the universe and everything. And perhaps human thought shares some of these dynamics too, as you suggest. The holistic perspective rears its ugly head all over the place, don't you think? 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:17 am
Sy Borg wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm I think of it like ripples in an ocean. If a boulder topples down a cliff into the ocean, its ripples will only go a certain distance before being dissipated by other waves. So the boulder's waves are causally disconnected from most of an ocean. I think of space similarly - a huge field with waves everywhere - criss-crossing, swamping, boosting, cancelling etc. Really, a case could be made for the arena of human thought having similar dynamics.
Yes, I agree with this ... except maybe with some of your conclusions. Once ripples have been established, they never dissipate, but only reduce in amplitude, never reaching zero. The wave (ripple) never disappears.
Consider the fate of a ripple caused by a single microscopic plankton swimming around in Mururoa Atoll in 1970 just before the French conducted a nuclear bomb test there. It's hard to imagine what might remain of those prior ripples after the blast. Maybe there's something at Planck scale, given that time does not impact at that most fundamental scale, but that is speculative.

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:17 amAs a ripple progresses, it interacts with all the other ripples, affecting them and thereby the whole. And, in this way, it leaves its effect(s) behind. In fact, it's sort-of true to say that ripples are immortal, in the way I have just described.
As above.

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:17 amA case could be made for comparing this with the impact individual human lives have, during their own tenure here, on life, the universe and everything. And perhaps human thought shares some of these dynamics too, as you suggest. The holistic perspective rears its ugly head all over the place, don't you think? 😉
Oh yes, the analogy between ripples and our lives did not escape me. All those times standing on a jetty down the road watching bands of ripples interacting. As with everything, the big ones consume the smaller ones. But smaller ripples running the opposite direction somewhat cancels larger ripples, reducing their amplitude, as though they had eaten a toxin. Or you have ripples building to waves to tidal waves, which is akin to a major societal movement or event.

As you noted, metaphors abound in nature. All fields are basically doing the same thing - always morphing, always pushing towards equilibria, always being impacted by surrounding arenas. With chaos, and depending on how close to equilibrium they are, a field may tend towards either aggregations or dissipation. Seemingly, in the end everything is expected to dissipate, but evolution (and what may yet follow biological evolution) may yet have a say in that in the distant future.
hlhunt33
New Trial Member

Post by hlhunt33 »

I am certain in my thought process and understanding that all the massive diversity of thoughts and opinions regarding God and morality stem from one simple fact---no one before me has ever defined the essence of God. Therefore everyone's god is different. Each god represents the sum total of each person's imagination. Since the time Homo Sapiens first appeared on earth, there have billions and billions of people, and all with their individual god. The net result is war---people have been fighting to justify their gods throughout recorded history---and they still are. Just look at the world today---perpetual war and threats of war. I did, in fact, define God's essence. God is a Perfect Rational being. I believe that definition is irrefutable. That Perfect Rationality is readily seen and understood through the perfection in both form and function of each particle of energy of which all gravid existences are composed. Once God imagined those particles with his Perfect Intellect and chose (loved, accepted, branded, activated) them with his Perfect Will (the Holy Spirit), he has taken a total 'hands off' position. They have been doing their assigned task perfectly for nearly fourteen billion years, and always in perfect and unchanging manner. Furthermore, they will continue to do so until 'recalled' an estimated seventy five billion years from now. Some people call the process of change that has been observed in the universe 'evolution"---I prefer to think of it as 'God's continuing creation". Since all such particles, known collectively as quanta, are perfect in both form and function and are unchanging and unchangeable, they exist in state known as Eternity---God exists in Eternity. Therefore, I believe they are God---God is in everything or it could not exist.
My thesis is simply this: minus an essential definition of God, all morality becomes a matter of individual imagination. Many institutions have imposed a morality based on their understandings and imaginations of their god. I believe the only way to have 'like-mindedness about morality, which would bring peace and consolation to all, is for all to be like-minded about the 'essence of God'---God is Perfect Rationality.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

"Perfect" and "rational" are human concepts. Ordered Necessity that creates what happens is not reducible to any set of attributes. Ordered Necessity will be after any ideas of "perfect" or "rational" have passed away.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

hlhunt33 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:30 am ...no one before me has ever defined the essence of God.

Many have tried, I think, and many of them are convinced they have succeeded, as you are. You have gone a little farther than most, though. You assert that no one before you has succeeded in expressing the One and Only Truth that you alone hold. Wow.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 21st, 2021, 7:50 am
hlhunt33 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:30 am ...no one before me has ever defined the essence of God.

Many have tried, I think, and many of them are convinced they have succeeded, as you are. You have gone a little farther than most, though. You assert that no one before you has succeeded in expressing the One and Only Truth that you alone hold. Wow.
One comment is true, we all get an opinion.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream