The Dangerous Irrationality of Masking our Vaccinated People

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
LuckyR

Re: The Dangerous Irrationality of Masking our Vaccinated People

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 26th, 2021, 3:47 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 26th, 2021, 12:41 pm
Steve3007 wrote: March 26th, 2021, 6:03 am
LuckyR wrote:I am not commenting on the uses nor the importance of various subjects, just that science literacy is less common than competence in other disciplines.
It seems to me that it's generally regarded as more socially acceptable to be both scientifically and mathematically illiterate than it is to be ignorant in other subject. I think there are various reasons for this, but one (at least where I live) is that the people whose voices are heard (journalists and politicians) are often proudly scientifically and mathematically lliterate.

There's a UK TV quiz show called University Challenge hosted by a journalist called Jeremy Paxman. He's never been shy to show his opinions and over the years of watching I've noted that there tends to be a difference in the way that he reacts when contestants get a question about, say, history wrong versus getting a question about mathematics or physics right. In the former case he mocks them for their ignorance and in the second case he mocks them for their geekiness.
The causes are quite numerous, you have mentioned several. Others include the reality that understanding concepts is inherently more difficult than regurgitating factoids, that formal Education has traditionally been politically led by the Humanities and that successful scientists can find well compensated employment in industry whereas the pinnacle of employment outside of the sciences is often in higher education itself. Lastly and likely most importantly, grade school educators are less likely to be personally science literate and thus shy away from teaching subject matter in which they themselves are not conversant.
I would hesitate from overlarge conclusions based on the prejudices of one man.
He is not the basis of my posting. Alas,
general trends predict nothing for individual situations and only have value when groups are analyzed.
"As usual... it depends."
Newme

Post by Newme »

RJG wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:12 am
LuckyR wrote:Therefore the US states with the least amount of mask wearing and locking down should have the lowest case rate, right?
Yes, in many cases this is TRUE. For example, if you look at the states of Florida (less masking and lockdowns) and California (more masking and lockdowns), you'll see that Florida actually has lower cases per capita than California.

Also, if we compare countries such as Sweden (no masking/lockdowns) to USA or UK (lots of masking/shutdowns), then the empirical evidence makes it very clear that masking/lockdowns don't correlate to more protection, and in fact, if anything the empirical evidence/data seems to suggest just the opposite!

UK deaths per capita = 1817 per million
USA deaths per capita = 1600 per million
Sweden death per capita = 1278 per million

And also these numbers don't reflect all the collateral deaths and destruction of personal lives related to the lockdowns.
Thank you for taking up the baton. 😁 Was getting a bit tired.

I also read that cloth masks - or masks repeatedly worn or not worn correctly - are worse than no mask.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

An update on this friendly wager:

https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... 54#p379354

Due to a combination of social distancing/lockdown, mask-wearing and the vaccine rollout, the UK death rate is now back down to pretty much where it was last summer:

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+s ... e&ie=UTF-8

At that point the Spring 2020 lockdown had brought down the death rate but there was no vaccine yet and the government started relaxing restrictions and implemented schemes like "eat out to help out" to help the hospitality industry by encouraging people to go out to restaurants. As we know, this turned out to be premature, and the result was another surge in Autumn which was reduced by the November lockdown, only to increase again in January 2021 when people mixed at Christmas.

So now, as per the plan published in February, social distancing measures are starting to be eased gradually, but of course mask wearing in public places remains. I had my first jab (the Oxford/AstraZeneca one) a few weeks ago and am due for the second one in early June. Most adults in my extended family have also had at least their first injection, either because they're over 50 or because they are high priority for other reasons (jobs and special needs). I think about half the total population has now had at least one dose of one of the vaccines. Mask wearing will likely continue in public places as restrictions are lifted further and the possibility of domestic "vaccine passports" is being discussed, whereby, essentially, you'll need to show you've had the jab before being able to go to the pub, and other public places where crowds gather close together.

So, given that the reduction in deaths and the consequent re-opening of society is currently going as planned, the thing to watch now is how big any consequent resurgence of infections and deaths this summer and Autumn is, and what then happens in early 2022.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:38 am An update on this friendly wager:

Due to a combination of social distancing/lockdown, mask-wearing and the vaccine rollout, the UK death rate is now back down to pretty much where it was last summer:

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+s ... e&ie=UTF-8

At that point the Spring 2020 lockdown had brought down the death rate but there was no vaccine yet and the government started relaxing restrictions and implemented schemes like "eat out to help out" to help the hospitality industry by encouraging people to go out to restaurants. As we know, this turned out to be premature, and the result was another surge in Autumn which was reduced by the November lockdown, only to increase again in January 2021 when people mixed at Christmas.

So now, as per the plan published in February, social distancing measures are starting to be eased gradually, but of course mask wearing in public places remains. I had my first jab (the Oxford/AstraZeneca one) a few weeks ago and am due for the second one in early June. Most adults in my extended family have also had at least their first injection, either because they're over 50 or because they are high priority for other reasons (jobs and special needs). I think about half the total population has now had at least one dose of one of the vaccines. Mask wearing will likely continue in public places as restrictions are lifted further and the possibility of domestic "vaccine passports" is being discussed, whereby, essentially, you'll need to show you've had the jab before being able to go to the pub, and other public places where crowds gather close together.

So, given that the reduction in deaths and the consequent re-opening of society is currently going as planned, the thing to watch now is how big any consequent resurgence of infections and deaths this summer and Autumn is, and what then happens in early 2022.
The media, especially the BBC are obsessed to attribute the drop in cases, and deaths holly to the advent of vaccinations. Clearly the lockdown is the main mover in the reduction of infections, as the vaccinated number is only now exceeding half partial vaccinations.

I think the big test will be when the Summer ends, and the vaccinations are more or less complete. Last year it was the end of September when cases started to rise again, with deaths rising four weeks later. (Ignored by the government and allowed to thrive, until the new year).

By the end of Summer this year we shall have lockdown fatigue, complacency and vaccine optimism. However,, the large number of variants emerging the world over may still be problematic. And with countries like India where vaccinations are close to zero, we can expect more and possibly vaccine resistent strains.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:Due to a combination of social distancing/lockdown, mask-wearing and the vaccine rollout, the UK death rate is now back down to pretty much where it was last summer.
But this should not be equated to as "success" by any means. Success is measured by low death rates 'without' "social distancing/lockdowns and mask-wearing". -- For if we had mandated everyone to stay in the shade then we would have also reduced the total number of sunburns, but this does not mean success in stopping future sunburns, nor would it mean that it is now safe to go back out to play in the sun again.

As you know, I contend that "social distancing/lockdowns and mask-wearing" of our 'vulnerable' people is good, but doing so with our healthy immune people will have catastrophic effects; ultimately killing many more vulnerable people, by creating a never ending growth and perpetuation of this virus (including vaccine resistant mutations, and then mutations from mutations, etc). It is foolhardy to believe that we can create vaccines at a fast enough pace to fight the ever increasing number of mutations that we are intentionally creating via social distancing and masking of our healthy immune people. It is a fight we cannot win.

It's as dangerously irrational as keeping one's own white blood cells away from the site of an infection. Preventing mother nature's method of protecting mankind (for the past eons) will ultimately be a death sentence to all mankind.

Long story short - the more we mask and socially distance our healthy immune population, the worse this virus (and its mutations) become. UK will have a particularly tough time as it's strict social distancing and masking mandates will only create many more deaths when (if?) they can ever finally remove their masking/social distancing. The empirical evidence is very clear, but it seems this evidence is being dismissed in favor of fear mongering and politics.

Steve and my wager is based on what happens when the UK finally unmasks. I say things will be much worse, and Steve says things will be much better. I hope I am wrong, but logic and science tell us otherwise.

Scuptor1 wrote:However, the large number of variants emerging the world over may still be problematic.
Yes, and this will continue to a point-of-no-return (if we haven't reach that point already) where we cross the threshold point in the battle of survival-of-the-fittest. Vaccines by themselves won't and can't save us if we continue to let the virus grow and mutate. If we don't immediately unmask our vaccinated (and healthy immune people) and allow them to fully socialize ASAP, we can kiss all our human butts good-bye.
Last edited by RJG on April 7th, 2021, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:But this should not be equated to as "success" by any means. Success is measured by low death rates 'without' "social distancing/lockdowns and mask-wearing".
Hence the bet is not just about what is happening right now but about what might happen next year. Your prediction is, and has been, that if we don't unmask the vaccinated right now then the results will be catastrophic. So it's important to note that here in the UK we have not yet unmasked and probably won't for some time. I, for example, have had the vaccine and I still wear a mask in public places, as do almost all others. So your prediction is catastrophe as a result of this. We find out who's right next year.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:The media, especially the BBC are obsessed to attribute the drop in cases, and deaths holly to the advent of vaccinations. Clearly the lockdown is the main mover in the reduction of infections, as the vaccinated number is only now exceeding half partial vaccinations.
It's difficult to tell the extent to which the lockdown since the beginning of this years is the cause of the latest big drop in infections/deaths and to what extent the vaccine is the cause. But since the drop in deaths matches the drop that happened in April-June last year and, as you say, the vaccine rollout has only just reached 50% partial vaccinations, it does seem reasonable to assume that the lockdown is the biggest driver.
I think the big test will be when the Summer ends, and the vaccinations are more or less complete. Last year it was the end of September when cases started to rise again, with deaths rising four weeks later. (Ignored by the government and allowed to thrive, until the new year).
Yes. Modelling predicts another surge at the end of this Summer. The extent to which it it less than the surge in Autumn last year will indicate how successful the vaccine rollout has been.
By the end of Summer this year we shall have lockdown fatigue, complacency and vaccine optimism. However, the large number of variants emerging the world over may still be problematic. And with countries like India where vaccinations are close to zero, we can expect more and possibly vaccine resistent strains.
Yes, and Brazil, due to its lack of nationwide lockdowns and generally chaotic approach to the whole thing, seems to be a major source of new variants. The Brazil Bolsonaro government's attitude to the whole thing seems to be like an even worse version of the US Trump government's approach.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:Hence the bet is not just about what is happening right now but about what might happen next year. Your prediction is, and has been, that if we don't unmask the vaccinated right now then the results will be catastrophic. So it's important to note that here in the UK we have not yet unmasked and probably won't for some time.
Yes, correct. The bet is based on "success" (or the lack of it). If UK can't safely unmask by early next year, then I win the bet. -- And an additional prediction of mine is - that if UK does not unmask their vaccinated (and all healthy immune) people very soon, then they will never be able to unmask.

Steve3007 wrote:I, for example, have had the vaccine and I still wear a mask in public places, as do almost all others. So your prediction is catastrophe as a result of this.
Yes, vaccinated people wearing masks (or continuing social distancing) will only contribute to their (and the worldwide) demise.

Steve3007 wrote:We find out who's right next year.
Correct. ...and I do truly hope you are right.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:If UK can't safely unmask by early next year, then I win the bet.
I always suspected I'd have to watch out for this kind of thing - gradual shifting of the terms as events unfold. That is not what it says in our bet. Here it is again:

You agreed to that in the next post.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:07 am
Sculptor1 wrote:The media, especially the BBC are obsessed to attribute the drop in cases, and deaths holly to the advent of vaccinations. Clearly the lockdown is the main mover in the reduction of infections, as the vaccinated number is only now exceeding half partial vaccinations.
It's difficult to tell the extent to which the lockdown since the beginning of this years is the cause of the latest big drop in infections/deaths and to what extent the vaccine is the cause. But since the drop in deaths matches the drop that happened in April-June last year and, as you say, the vaccine rollout has only just reached 50% partial vaccinations, it does seem reasonable to assume that the lockdown is the biggest driver.
Yes. Modelling predicts another surge at the end of this Summer. The extent to which it it less than the surge in Autumn last year will indicate how successful the vaccine rollout has been.
By the end of Summer this year we shall have lockdown fatigue, complacency and vaccine optimism. However, the large number of variants emerging the world over may still be problematic. And with countries like India where vaccinations are close to zero, we can expect more and possibly vaccine resistent strains.
Yes, and Brazil, due to its lack of nationwide lockdowns and generally chaotic approach to the whole thing, seems to be a major source of new variants. The Brazil Bolsonaro government's attitude to the whole thing seems to be like an even worse version of the US Trump government's approach.
Yes for Bolsanaro's "policy" read our very own RDG here on the Forum.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

ERROR: For RDG read RJD
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:For RDG read RJD
and for RJD read RJG! :D

Yes, the Bolsonaro disaster in Brazil is what would now be happening in other countries if they took RJG's "unmask those I deem to be healthy and encourage them to mix!" attitude.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Success is measured by low death rates 'without' "social distancing/lockdowns and mask-wearing".
RJG wrote:If UK can't safely unmask by early next year, then I win the bet.
Steve3007 wrote:I always suspected I'd have to watch out for this kind of thing - gradual shifting of the terms as events unfold. That is not what it says in our bet.
Yes, of course. My words above is just a brief (non complete) abstract of the bet. It was not intended to replace the specific terms that we agreed to.

But also our terms include no masking/social distancing to achieve this "success".

The verbiage at the beginning of our agreement says "the UK government plans a phased reduction of social distancing as set out in this guidance...". This implies reduced masking/social distancing.

Hopefully you are not going to claim success (and winning of the bet) if UK is still masking/social distancing.

Sculptor1 wrote:Yes, the Bolsonaro disaster in Brazil is what would now be happening in other countries if they took RJG's "unmask those I deem to be healthy and encourage them to mix!" attitude.
You are twisting my words. I said "vaccinated" and other healthy immune (those that have previously been infected and now immune) should rip off their masks and start socializing asap. This is the ONLY way to stop the growth and further mutations of this virus.

Vaccines are reactive (not proactive) measures.

Social distancing is hiding; playing defense (not offense) measures.

Doing nothing to stop the growth and mutations of this virus means it will not stop growing and mutating.
Last edited by RJG on April 7th, 2021, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:Hopefully you are not going to claim success (and winning of the bet) if UK is still masking/social distancing.

https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... 95#p378995
Steve3007 wrote:I'm happy to bet you £100 or $100, whichever you like, that one year from now life in the UK will be pretty much back to normal whether or not masks are still being worn.
As I said there and elsewhere, I can see mask wearing, to some extent, continuing when social distancing has stopped and normal life has returned, as it is practiced in Japan, for example, and was before Covid-19. Hence my prediction is that by March 2022 social distancing will have gone and normal life will have resumed as set out in the June 21st section of the phased reduction to which I linked. That doesn't necessarily mean an end to all masks. If normal life has resumed, without social distancing, but a lot of people are still wearing masks in public places I will regard myself as having won. Do you disagree with that?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Here's that June 21st section from the UK government guidance for reference:
Social contact
By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Business, activities and events
We hope to reopen remaining premises, including nightclubs, and ease the restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3. This will be subject to the results of a scientific Events Research Programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection. The same Events Research Programme will guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.

As we move through each of these phases in the roadmap, we must all remember that COVID-19 remains a part of our lives. We are going to have to keep living our lives differently to keep ourselves and others safe. We must carry on with ‘hands, face, space’. Comply with the COVID-Secure measures that remain in place. Meet outdoors when we can and keep letting fresh air in. Get tested when needed. Get vaccinated when offered. If we all continue to play our part, we will be that bit closer to a future that is more familiar.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream