The Dangerous Irrationality of Masking our Vaccinated People

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Steve3007

Re: The Dangerous Irrationality of Masking our Vaccinated People

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:No, each breath removes from the total number of fixed particles from the room. Therefore, on each subsequent breath, you will breathe in a lower number of particles.
It was set out in your initial description of this scenario, and you subsequently agreed when it was repeated, that the number of particles in the room remains constant. So you're now proposing a new scenario in which people in the room remove particles?
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:It was set out in your initial description of this scenario, and you subsequently agreed when it was repeated, that the number of particles in the room remains constant.
The number of particles in a room is fixed, not maintained as constant. If there is no one (an infected person) adding particles to the room, then the "particles-per-person" is a function of the number of people in the room. The more people, the lower the "particles-per-person", and therefore, the safer each individual person becomes.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Fixed means constant.

This is going to descend into another argument about words so let's just leave it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 7:48 am
LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2021, 1:53 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 6:24 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:17 pm Who said: "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

Alexander Pope, But I like the Baconian version:

.. That a little knowledge is apt to puff up, and make men giddy, but a greater share of it will set them right, and bring them to low and humble thoughts of themselves.
I am not going to argue with you. On a related note, to illustrate the pathetic state of science education, many are familiar with the lack of simple scientific knowledge even among Harvard graduates:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXb7Oq13pjQ
What I see here is three students.
I wonder if it is possible to find 3 Cambridge or Oxford Students that would share the same fallacy?
I wonder how many posters on this Forum would be honest enough to admit to the same fallacy?
The viewpoint is hideously egocentric. Do they not know about Australia's "opposite" seasons?
Harvard graduates egocentric? Perish the thought. Though this is less regional and more a commentary on the lack of quality of science courses for non-majors compared to that of non-science courses for scientists.
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 6:24 pm

Alexander Pope, But I like the Baconian version:

.. That a little knowledge is apt to puff up, and make men giddy, but a greater share of it will set them right, and bring them to low and humble thoughts of themselves.
I am not going to argue with you. On a related note, to illustrate the pathetic state of science education, many are familiar with the lack of simple scientific knowledge even among Harvard graduates:

I wonder if it is possible to find 3 Cambridge or Oxford Students that would share the same fallacy?
I wonder how many posters on this Forum would be honest enough to admit to the same fallacy?
The viewpoint is hideously egocentric. Do they not know about Australia's "opposite" seasons?
Harvard graduates egocentric? Perish the thought. Though this is less regional and more a commentary on the lack of quality of science courses for non-majors compared to that of non-science courses for scientists.
I would say that the majority of people leaving school either share this misconception, or cannot properly explain why the seasons happen.
I have even witnessed a Primary school teacher confused about the topic and repeating the fallacy in a British school.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:16 pm

I would say that the majority of people leaving school either share this misconception, or cannot properly explain why the seasons happen.
I have even witnessed a Primary school teacher confused about the topic and repeating the fallacy in a British school.
Thus why it is more likely for a primary scientist to have a decent secondary understanding of philosophy than for a primary philosopher to have a decent understanding of science.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Thus why it is more likely for a primary scientist to have a decent secondary understanding of philosophy than for a primary philosopher to have a decent understanding of science.
It's my view that having a decent grounding in epistemology, logic and empiricism is the best way to guarentee a general appreciation of science. Without that, teaching science is little more than rote learning which is easily forgotten.
Arbitrary divisions between science and the philosophy upon which it necessarily and critically relies is an unfortunate consequnce of our educational system.
When I was involved in primary teaching between 22-12 ish years ago there was great efforts to tech some basic reasoning and philosophy. Not sure what the state of play is now given the shocking cuts in basic provision of education since 2008.

On this issue for anyone wanting to look into the history of cosmology the best book I have found is Arthur Koerstler's The Sleepwalkers, which is an excellent survey from Copurnicus, throught Kepler, Newton, Brahe, and others to show the development of the modern heliocentric hypothesis.
Have you read it?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:35 pm

It's my view that having a decent grounding in epistemology, logic and empiricism is the best way to guarentee a general appreciation of science. Without that, teaching science is little more than rote learning which is easily forgotten.
Arbitrary divisions between science and the philosophy upon which it necessarily and critically relies is an unfortunate consequnce of our educational system.
When I was involved in primary teaching between 22-12 ish years ago there was great efforts to tech some basic reasoning and philosophy. Not sure what the state of play is now given the shocking cuts in basic provision of education since 2008.

On this issue for anyone wanting to look into the history of cosmology the best book I have found is Arthur Koerstler's The Sleepwalkers, which is an excellent survey from Copurnicus, throught Kepler, Newton, Brahe, and others to show the development of the modern heliocentric hypothesis.
Have you read it?
I am not commenting on the uses nor the importance of various subjects, just that science literacy is less common than competence in other disciplines.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:It's my view that having a decent grounding in epistemology, logic and empiricism is the best way to guarentee a general appreciation of science. Without that, teaching science is little more than rote learning which is easily forgotten.
This is true, and it was always one of the things about science (particularly physics) that appealed to my own laziness - the fact that it's not (or at least shouldn't be) about rote learning long lists of facts but about learning relatively small sets of logical patterns and principles that can be re-applied multiple times. So it's about learning the techniques, and ways of thinking, required to solve problems rather than just learning what the answers to the problems are.

The trouble is, in my experience both as a former school teacher and as a parent and step-parent, some students are, at least initially, confused and feel defeated by this idea. They want to be told what answers they need to memorize. They resist the idea that instead of learning facts they need to practice methods. I'm currently dealing with this with my step-daughter struggling with her GCSE maths. She's still at the stage where she looks at a maths question in an exam paper and just doesn't know how to work out what it's asking her to do.
LuckyR wrote:I am not commenting on the uses nor the importance of various subjects, just that science literacy is less common than competence in other disciplines.
It seems to me that it's generally regarded as more socially acceptable to be both scientifically and mathematically illiterate than it is to be ignorant in other subject. I think there are various reasons for this, but one (at least where I live) is that the people whose voices are heard (journalists and politicians) are often proudly scientifically and mathematically lliterate.

There's a UK TV quiz show called University Challenge hosted by a journalist called Jeremy Paxman. He's never been shy to show his opinions and over the years of watching I've noted that there tends to be a difference in the way that he reacts when contestants get a question about, say, history wrong versus getting a question about mathematics or physics right. In the former case he mocks them for their ignorance and in the second case he mocks them for their geekiness.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:When I was involved in primary teaching between 22-12 ish years ago there was great efforts to teach some basic reasoning and philosophy. Not sure what the state of play is now given the shocking cuts in basic provision of education since 2008.
I was briefly a secondary school teacher about 25 years ago. I don't remember a school-wide effort to teach reasoning and philosophy then, but that was just my anecdotal experience in one school. My own kids are currently both in the same grammar school (we still have them in Kent) and they study philosophy, but I'm not sure yet how much good it's doing them in terms of learning reasoning that is applicable to solving problems in other subjects. But one of the major problem in mainstream education, it seems to me, is the compartmentalization and lack of interconnection between subjects.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 26th, 2021, 2:37 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:35 pm

Have you read it?
I am not commenting on the uses nor the importance of various subjects, just that science literacy is less common than competence in other disciplines.
You mean there is more chalk than cheese, or do you mean that thick string is always longer than thin string?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: March 26th, 2021, 6:03 am
Sculptor1 wrote:It's my view that having a decent grounding in epistemology, logic and empiricism is the best way to guarentee a general appreciation of science. Without that, teaching science is little more than rote learning which is easily forgotten.
This is true, and it was always one of the things about science (particularly physics) that appealed to my own laziness - the fact that it's not (or at least shouldn't be) about rote learning long lists of facts but about learning relatively small sets of logical patterns and principles that can be re-applied multiple times. So it's about learning the techniques, and ways of thinking, required to solve problems rather than just learning what the answers to the problems are.

The trouble is, in my experience both as a former school teacher and as a parent and step-parent, some students are, at least initially, confused and feel defeated by this idea. They want to be told what answers they need to memorize. They resist the idea that instead of learning facts they need to practice methods. I'm currently dealing with this with my step-daughter struggling with her GCSE maths. She's still at the stage where she looks at a maths question in an exam paper and just doesn't know how to work out what it's asking her to do.
I imagine the she has been taught steps rather then underlying essential concepts. I hated Maths and failed getting a CSE (yes I was in a Secondary Modern) grade 3, until I took a GCE in one year at 6thform, a fat old lady with bad breath taught maths from the ground up telling us HOW formula had been derived; showing us the meaning of it all. She was wonderful.

Your step-daughter's experience is an unfortunate artifact of standard education which has consistently failed to teach people HOW to learn and HOW to think, in favour of WHAT to learn and WHAT to think.

Learning philosophy can be done from the earliest age, but is never about telling them what they have to think. The old Victorian method still survives. Sadly B.ed, and PGCEs teaching is little more than a box ticking exercise which fails to address fundemental issues of method, When I did mine They were only interested in my producing evidence; about two reams of A4 printer paper full of dross. I saw 2 really good teachers quit, whilst the aspergery and anal types were able to continue despite poor classroom control and lack of inspirational method.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote:I am not commenting on the uses nor the importance of various subjects, just that science literacy is less common than competence in other disciplines.
It seems to me that it's generally regarded as more socially acceptable to be both scientifically and mathematically illiterate than it is to be ignorant in other subject. I think there are various reasons for this, but one (at least where I live) is that the people whose voices are heard (journalists and politicians) are often proudly scientifically and mathematically lliterate.

There's a UK TV quiz show called University Challenge hosted by a journalist called Jeremy Paxman. He's never been shy to show his opinions and over the years of watching I've noted that there tends to be a difference in the way that he reacts when contestants get a question about, say, history wrong versus getting a question about mathematics or physics right. In the former case he mocks them for their ignorance and in the second case he mocks them for their geekiness.
Paxo is a lovable ****.
It is wierd, though he has been hosting the program for a long time, when the announcer says; "Asking the Questions....! Bamber Gasoine still enters my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5SJKI6RpU
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The causes are quite numerous, you have mentioned several. Others include the reality that understanding concepts is inherently more difficult than regurgitating factoids, that formal Education has traditionally been politically led by the Humanities and that successful scientists can find well compensated employment in industry whereas the pinnacle of employment outside of the sciences is often in higher education itself. Lastly and likely most importantly, grade school educators are less likely to be personally science literate and thus shy away from teaching subject matter in which they themselves are not conversant.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 26th, 2021, 12:41 pm

The causes are quite numerous, you have mentioned several. Others include the reality that understanding concepts is inherently more difficult than regurgitating factoids, that formal Education has traditionally been politically led by the Humanities and that successful scientists can find well compensated employment in industry whereas the pinnacle of employment outside of the sciences is often in higher education itself. Lastly and likely most importantly, grade school educators are less likely to be personally science literate and thus shy away from teaching subject matter in which they themselves are not conversant.
I would hesitate from overlarge conclusions based on the prejudices of one man.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream