Is life worth living?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sculptor1

Re: Is life worth living?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Burning ghost wrote: March 21st, 2021, 2:22 am Just in case it was missed ... I was basically pointing out that to say that it is not ‘worth’ believing in ‘worth’ is rather silly.

It is worth believing in worth therefore it is not worth believing in no worth.

There is NO WORTH in thinking/believing that life has NO WORTH. It is merely a trick of words to uncover the hollow question posed.
I think you just disappeared up your own belly button there.

Life can have positive worth and negative worth, according to circumstances.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:17 pm
gad-fly wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:48 am It would be idiotic to just live or kill yourself without thinking. "Sorry, don't blame me. It just happens."

I wonder? It seems to me that many humans actually do "just live" "without thinking" about life (and maybe without thinking of many other things too). Isn't that pretty typical of what humans do? Or perhaps your text is explicitly correct, and we are mostly idiots...?
Those who do not think, or do not formulate a requisite opinion about worthiness, are either idiotic, or shall we say stark staring bonkers. "If eating is about satisfying hunger, why bother about the difference between junk food and fine cuisine? Survive and reproduction are all that matters. Back to slumber."
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

gad-fly wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:48 am The topic "Is life worth living?" is asking your opinion, like "Is it worth casting your vote?"
That was my impression. But, in fact, my opinion was unwelcome? Then why ask for it?
To make it simple, live or vote happily if your opinion is Yes; die or stay home if No.
Neither of those positions represents my opinion.
Then again, maybe the sentences were too compact.
Life as a phenomenon is without worth, as there is nothing to which it could be compared for a relative valuation. It just sprang forth from a purposeless chemical process and continued to manifest in ever greater profusion.
Externally, any particular individual life might be weighed against any other particular individual life - but that judgment would have to be made by a third life-form - according to its own criteria, so what would then be evaluated is neither of those lives, but only their correlation to the judge's requirements.
Internally, each life is evaluated differently at each moment of its duration by the individual living it; at one moment, it may be priceless; at another, worthless and for much of the time, unregarded.
And so, whether a particular life is worth continuing from this moment onward will have to be decided by the individual living it on the basis if its own experience and expectation.
It should not be judged worthy or unworthy by anyone else.
It would be idiotic to just live or kill yourself without thinking.
It would also be impossible for many individuals at many points in their lives to kill themselves at all. But they can always be killed by others, with or without thinking.
"Sorry, don't blame me. It just happens."

I wasn't blaming anyone. Mitosis and mieosis take place in cells too idiotic to prevent it. Once the new bacterium of elephant or date palm is conceived, as long as the environment is nurturing, life continues with no moral, sentimental or economic properties to give it any kind of value.
It is worth giving an opinion?
I very much doubt it, in the current venue -
That is for you to decide. Hang yourself on the balance if you like, or glue your hand onto the door knob. Your silence would be duly respected, at least by me. I know how painful it must be for you.
I'm happy to have been able to spare you that pain.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:25 pm
Burning ghost wrote: March 21st, 2021, 2:22 am Just in case it was missed ... I was basically pointing out that to say that it is not ‘worth’ believing in ‘worth’ is rather silly.

There is NO WORTH in thinking/believing that life has NO WORTH. It is merely a trick of words to uncover the hollow question posed.

Maybe you missed my point too? If you believe there is no worth then clearly there is something of worth or you wouldn’t even pose the question. The ‘negative’/‘positive’ aspect is irrelevant.

Of course pain and suffering can make life unbearable. So what? That isn’t anything like the same as stating ALL lives aren’t worth living. The people who tend to complain are those that are in positions of comfort. They also have tendency to assume people far worse off than they are agree with them, when in fact they’re often thankful and more appreciative of life's small boons.

Often enough the reality is they just want to ease their or guilt with such make believe. If they were to meet people far worse off than themselves and ask them if they thought life was worth living they’d probably be humbled by the response they were given.
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

gad-fly wrote: March 21st, 2021, 1:32 pm
gad-fly wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:48 am It would be idiotic to just live or kill yourself without thinking. "Sorry, don't blame me. It just happens."

I wonder? It seems to me that many humans actually do "just live" "without thinking" about life (and maybe without thinking of many other things too). Isn't that pretty typical of what humans do? Or perhaps your text is explicitly correct, and we are mostly idiots...?
Those who do not think, or do not formulate a requisite opinion about worthiness, are either idiotic, or shall we say stark staring bonkers. "If eating is about satisfying hunger, why bother about the difference between junk food and fine cuisine? Survive and reproduction are all that matters. Back to slumber."
Agreed. We’re all idiots most of the time. We’re all rather silly and often bonkers too. Occasionally we do manage to rise up andsurprise ourselves too.
AKA badgerjelly
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Burning ghost wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:54 pm
Agreed. We’re all idiots most of the time. We’re all rather silly and often bonkers too.
Sorry to say, but you speak for yourself. As a word of comfort, that you feel it worth to find a place in this forum deserves my congratulation. Keep it up.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Alias wrote: March 21st, 2021, 2:44 pm my opinion was unwelcome?
whether a particular life is worth continuing from this moment onward will have to be decided by the individual living it on the basis if its own experience and expectation.
you opinion is welcomed, at least by me.

It appears you have missed the point. The topic is not an attempt to take a census on likes and dislikes about staying alive. It is not asking you based on your personal experience, or for you to judge on another person. It ponders on a serious philosophical thought for your participation and contribution. 1. Is the human race at this point in time still worth living and propagating? What are we here for, other than for our enjoyment?
2. As an exemplary individual, do you enjoy coming to this world, suppose you can choose? Does the sensual pleasure of existence outweigh the pain and suffering, self-imposed and imposed on other creature? For example, does the taste of steak outweigh the slaughter of cattle?
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

gad-fly wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 1:02 am It appears you have missed the point.
It appears so.
The topic is not an attempt to take a census on likes and dislikes about staying alive.
Nor was any offered.
It is not asking you based on your personal experience, or for you to judge on another person.
Nor did I do either of those things.
It ponders on a serious philosophical thought for your participation and contribution.
participation in? contribution to?
1. Is the human race at this point in time still worth living and propagating?
Hell, NO! It's done nothing but damage for 6000 years. Once it glommed onto civilization, this species has been on the wrong path, going the wrong way, and every opportunity it had to reverse course, it refused; every member who pointed out its error was persecuted or ignored, or persecuted, then deified, then ignored. Now, it's beyond saving.
What are we here for,
We? I have no idea what any particular person is "here for" - and neither have you. If there is an overall purpose to human lives, it has not been revealed in any convincing way.
other than for our enjoyment?
Some enjoy; the vast majority do not.
2. As an exemplary individual, do you enjoy coming to this world, suppose you can choose?
On which morning?
Does the sensual pleasure of existence outweigh the pain and suffering, self-imposed and imposed on other creature?
If it didn't, I'd be gone. When it no longer does, I'm outa here. But didn't you just say this isn't about me? And I certainly do not consider myself and 'exemplary individual'.
For example, does the taste of steak outweigh the slaughter of cattle?
Not to me - not by a very long measure. Nor to the planet, for that matter.
Does the advancement of neuroscience outweigh the experiments of Auschwitz? Does the internet justify the crusades?
Come on! Just how silly does this question get?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Those who do not think, or do not formulate a requisite opinion about worthiness, are either idiotic, or shall we say stark staring bonkers...

...or just typically human? That is what we do; we live and act without thinking, almost always. I think we delude ourselves if we believe otherwise.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Burning ghost wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:51 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:25 pm

Maybe you missed my point too? If you believe there is no worth then clearly there is something of worth or you wouldn’t even pose the question. The ‘negative’/‘positive’ aspect is irrelevant.
Non sequitur.

Of course pain and suffering can make life unbearable. So what? That isn’t anything like the same as stating ALL lives aren’t worth living.
No. Again a non sequitur.
Some is not all. All is not some.
Do you know the meanings of these words?
The people who tend to complain are those that are in positions of comfort. They also have tendency to assume people far worse off than they are agree with them, when in fact they’re often thankful and more appreciative of life's small boons.
And your evidence is......?

Often enough the reality is they just want to ease their or guilt with such make believe. If they were to meet people far worse off than themselves and ask them if they thought life was worth living they’d probably be humbled by the response they were given.
Maybe shmaybe.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Honestly, all I’m actually saying is thing being ‘better’ is ‘better’.

All is a general term. This is ethics and morality not some clear logical truth. It is better to be better, right?
AKA badgerjelly
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Burning ghost wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 7:01 am Honestly, all I’m actually saying is thing being ‘better’ is ‘better’.

All is a general term. This is ethics and morality not some clear logical truth. It is better to be better, right?
Depends.

My vehicle is what it is. It would be a mistake to buy a better car.
Would it be good to have a better job - it might pay less?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 5:56 am

Those who do not think, or do not formulate a requisite opinion about worthiness, are either idiotic, or shall we say stark staring bonkers...

...or just typically human? That is what we do; we live and act without thinking, almost always. I think we delude ourselves if we believe otherwise.
To me you're both correct. Because of the invention of manufacturing and civilization, people without thoughtfulness (in the intellectual, not emotional sense) nor skillfulness can be sustained in the society. That is folks with no knowledge of how they work benefit from driving cars, using computers and modern medicine (among others). Thus there is no requirement or even a compelling incentive to develop that sort of thing, thus it's nonuniversality.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:54 pm
Burning ghost wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 7:01 am Honestly, all I’m actually saying is thing being ‘better’ is ‘better’.

Depends.

My vehicle is what it is. It would be a mistake to buy a better car.
Would it be good to have a better job - it might pay less?
‘Better’ can now be ‘worse’, and if something is ‘worth it’ it’s now possible to want to do something for the ‘negative worth’.

Non sequitur! Bye bye
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

gad-fly wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:45 pm
Burning ghost wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:54 pm
Agreed. We’re all idiots most of the time. We’re all rather silly and often bonkers too.
Sorry to say, but you speak for yourself. As a word of comfort, that you feel it worth to find a place in this forum deserves my congratulation. Keep it up.
Not at all. Humans are pretty stupid. It’s our best quality :lol:
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream