Transcendentalism

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Transcendentalism

Post by chewybrian »

I would like to see what people think this philosophical movement is all about, and what elements of it might ring true or false to them. I'll begin by trying to define the movement in broad terms, though I will admit I don't have the greatest understanding, and welcome others elaborating or correcting anything I might not get quite right.

Self reliance seems to be the core concept. We might see the example of Thoreau living alone in a cabin and think this self-reliance could be the kind practiced by Ted Nugent or even (shudder) Ayn Rand. But, it is not really about doing for yourself only, about shunning society or living in anarchy. Rather, it seems to be about self-reliance in the sense of relying upon your own intuition in judgements of truth, or in concepts like justice. The argument seems to be that if we import a system of ethics from the outside, we shut off our thinking, and may act against our inner voice which tells us right from wrong, which is often the better barometer. Lest you think it is a cop out or a call to anarchy, Emerson challenges us to live just one day in concert with our own inner guide, and see just how difficult it is to do so.

Living simply is another key element. It is not so much about denying ourselves the benefits of technology, but about living the best life, and making sure that we don't work harder in the name of alleged luxury than we might if we simply turned to enjoy what we already have.

Passive resistance to injustice was a big factor in the movement, as a natural result of listening to one's inner voice. For example, Thoreau was jailed for refusing to pay his poll tax because he did not want to help to fund a system that allowed slavery. Gandhi, MLK, Rosa Parks and others practiced the methods provided by the transcendentalists for bringing about change and justice without committing more injustice along the way.

Returning to nature is one more theme. This is not a luddite refusal to accept technology, but just an acknowledgement that nature is important and has value to us as well. They wanted to help preserve a portion of the earth in a state of nature forever, such that all people in the future could experience the natural world and its ability to help us find ourselves and see and think more clearly.

I see many parallels with Stoicism: the idea that our will is a slice of God within us, the idea that we should not bring our prayers to the oracle if we already know what is right, the notion of living simply in order to live the best life, the idea that philosophy is something to be lived, that our ideas mean nothing if we are not ready and wiling to live according to them.

All this I present by no means as an attempt to direct the discussion, but just to give some idea of what we are talking about for any who might not be too familiar with this American philosophy. I very much welcome insight from people who do know something about it, and any and all opinions about the usefulness of this way of thinking.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Nick_A

Re: Transcendentalism

Post by Nick_A »

As I understand it, transcendentalism is the effort to transcend ones own fallen nature. Plato defined Man as a tripartite soul or three in one. Man is not inner unity but is made up of three basic parts: appetites, (physical desires), emotions, and reason. The fallen human condition has Man governed primarily by appetites, negative emotions which defend their value and reason to intellectually justify being governed by appetites rather than reason.

Transcendentalism values God, individualism, idealism, and the divinity of nature. At the same time transcendentalism values the oversoul; the idea that at a higher level we are all part of the same organism. The real Man is a unique individual who also knows he is an atom of the oversoul and lives by this premise. The oversoul connects heaven and earth.

Can Man transcend his own fallen nature through his own efforts? I don't believe so and why I lean towards Christianity. It offers the help through the energy of grace to transcend our own fallen nature in the human struggle to consciously evolve.

It's not so easy as Thoreau points out:
The millions are awake enough for physical labor; but only one in a million is awake enough for effective intellectual exertion, only one in a hundred millions to a poetic or divine life. To be awake is to be alive. I have never yet met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face? - Thoreau, Walden
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Nick_A wrote: April 21st, 2021, 7:28 pm As I understand it, transcendentalism is the effort to transcend ones own fallen nature. Plato defined Man as a tripartite soul or three in one. Man is not inner unity but is made up of three basic parts: appetites, (physical desires), emotions, and reason. The fallen human condition has Man governed primarily by appetites, negative emotions which defend their value and reason to intellectually justify being governed by appetites rather than reason.

Transcendentalism values God, individualism, idealism, and the divinity of nature. At the same time transcendentalism values the oversoul; the idea that at a higher level we are all part of the same organism. The real Man is a unique individual who also knows he is an atom of the oversoul and lives by this premise. The oversoul connects heaven and earth.

Can Man transcend his own fallen nature through his own efforts? I don't believe so and why I lean towards Christianity. It offers the help through the energy of grace to transcend our own fallen nature in the human struggle to consciously evolve.

It's not so easy as Thoreau points out:
The millions are awake enough for physical labor; but only one in a million is awake enough for effective intellectual exertion, only one in a hundred millions to a poetic or divine life. To be awake is to be alive. I have never yet met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face? - Thoreau, Walden
Thanks for the insights. I know there is a large element of religion in the philosophy. But, just as with Stoicism, I think there is value in the philosophy with or without belief. Stoicism was the foundation for cognitive behavioral therapy. It helps people face adversity and inspires them to live simply. Transcendentalism was a factor in the development of the national park system and inspired important passive resistance movements. The philosophies can have these impacts whether people are attached to the religious aspects or not.

Do I think man can overcome his nature through his own efforts? No, not really. But he can make progress. He can become a better person and live happier. I'm not convinced that God is really there to help me on my journey, though I don't 100% rule it out. I do think that some people are helped along by their belief, though, whether it is grounded in reality or not.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

I always viewed this as a fight between unity and individuality. Individuality should not be discouraged, but neither should following society's norms. While it's true that society is full of flaws, it still presents to us one of humanity's greatest attributes: unity. Unity is one of the most important things we have at our disposal, and it cannot be more important than individuality. People can and should try to reach their full potential, but the moment they start denying what's normal and expected, they become a problem.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Fellowmater wrote: April 27th, 2021, 6:32 am I always viewed this as a fight between unity and individuality. Individuality should not be discouraged, but neither should following society's norms. While it's true that society is full of flaws, it still presents to us one of humanity's greatest attributes: unity. Unity is one of the most important things we have at our disposal, and it cannot be more important than individuality. People can and should try to reach their full potential, but the moment they start denying what's normal and expected, they become a problem.
I do see where it could be a problem for people to ignore society's norms, but it could also be a solution. It seems like this particular philosophy is directing us to solutions rather than problems. If the norm is slavery or racism, then we are correct to oppose it. But, there is no call here for riots or murders, but rather quiet protest, perhaps spending a night in jail for refusing to obey an unjust law. It seems to find a good balance. The point is to draw attention to the problem and to allow its flaws to be seen by others without fighting injustice with more injustice, or considering ourselves to be above the rule of law.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream