Neither time, time-ness, unconscious here-ness, unconscious now-ness, nor any unconscious presence exist.

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
RJG

Re: Neither time, time-ness, unconscious here-ness, unconscious now-ness, nor any unconscious presence exist.

Post by RJG »

Scott wrote:The 4D block universe that contains everything in 4D spacetime is timeless, unchanging, and eternal.
This statement is a logical contradiction and is therefore FALSE.

If this statement were true, then you (as an occupant of this universe) would have been unable to type and post this statement here at Philosophy Discussion Forums. -- it is logically impossible for you to make the above claim if you yourself did not exist in a "changing" universe.

...unless of course, you are somehow implying that you exist outside this universe??? ...but if so, then again this contradicts your statement that this "universe contains everything" (including you).
Atla

Re: Neither time, time-ness, unconscious here-ness, unconscious now-ness, nor any unconscious presence exist.

Post by Atla »

Trying to get some answers in philosophy probably requires 6 dimensional thinking, but most people can't do 4.
True philosophy points to the Moon
RJG

Post by RJG »

Atla wrote:Trying to get some answers in philosophy probably requires 6 dimensional thinking, but most people can't do 4.
...but any philosophy that disregards logic is called "Bad Philosophy".
Last edited by RJG on April 26th, 2021, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

RJG wrote: April 26th, 2021, 4:45 pm
Scott wrote:[47] The 4D block universe that contains everything in 4D spacetime is timeless, unchanging, and eternal.
This statement is a logical contradiction and is therefore FALSE.
That statement is not a logical contradiction.

However, that statement is #47 of the 48 numbered statements. Do you agree with 1-46? If not, which is the first of the numbered statements with which you disagree?

RJG wrote: April 26th, 2021, 4:45 pm If this statement were true, then you (as an occupant of this universe) would have been unable to type and post this statement here at Philosophy Discussion Forums. -- it is logically impossible for you to make the above claim if you yourself did not exist in a "changing" universe.
That seems like a non-sequitur to me. It sounds like you are are saying that if an unchanging 4D block universe exists, then nothing within the block universe can exist. However, a whole conversation (or pseudo-conversation) can exist as a pseudo-scene in a pseudo-movie on an unplayed unchanging DVD containing the whole would-be conversation and would would-be movie including the would-be beginning, would-be middle, and would-be end. There's nothing contradictory about that.

Does your allegation that the statement is contradictory rest on the assumption that I, Scott, am not a philosophical zombie?

Is it possible instead of meaning to claim the statement contradicts itself (which it doesn't), you are trying to say that it is incompatible with your own alleged conscious experience, which is allegedly undeniable to you but not to me? If so, then I point you to the last section of the OP, labeled "Important Clarification about Consciousness".
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Scott wrote:[47]The 4D block universe that contains everything in 4D spacetime is timeless, unchanging, and eternal.
RJG wrote:This statement is a logical contradiction and is therefore FALSE.

If this statement were true, then you (as an occupant of this universe) would have been unable to type and post this statement here at Philosophy Discussion Forums. -- it is logically impossible for you to make the above claim if you yourself did not exist in a "changing" universe.
Scott wrote:That statement is not a logical contradiction.
So where is the logical error?

Scott wrote:However, that statement is #47 of the 48 numbered statements. Do you agree with 1-46? If not, which is the first of the numbered statements with which you disagree?
I haven't really looked at the others. This one that Steve posted (a few posts above) caught my eye as a blatant contradiction.

RJG wrote:If this statement were true, then you (as an occupant of this universe) would have been unable to type and post this statement here at Philosophy Discussion Forums. -- it is logically impossible for you to make the above claim if you yourself did not exist in a "changing" universe.
Scott wrote:That seems like a non-sequitur to me. It sounds like you are are saying that if an unchanging 4D block universe exists, then nothing within the block universe can exist.
No, I'm saying if nothing can change in a 4D block universe, then "you" (as a member of this universe) likewise can't change (...i.e. you can't do anything, including posting statement # 47).

Scott wrote:However, the whole conversation (or pseudo-conversation) can exist like a pseudo-scene in a pseudo-movie on an unplayed unchanging DVD containing the whole would-be movie including the would-be beginning, would-be middle, and would-be end. There's nothing contradictory about that.
Not so. If as you say, there is only "static data" on this "unchanging" DVD, then nothing is changing. And if nothing is changing, then there can't logically be conversations/scenes/movies or pseudo-conversations/scenes/movies (or "you" posting statement #47) on this DVD. There is only static data on this DVD. That's it. Nothing more.

Scott wrote:Does your allegation that the statement is contradictory rest on the assumption that I, Scott, am not a philosophical zombie?
No, not at all. Your zombieness (or non-zombieness) is irrelevant to the logical impossibility of you doing something in the absence of change. If you exist in a universe of "no change" then you can't logically do (or change) anything.

Scott wrote:Is it possible instead of meaning to claim the statement contradicts itself (which it doesn't), you are trying to say that it is incompatible with your own conscious experience, which is allegedly undeniable to you but not to me?
It is not that it is "incompatible with my consciousness", it is "incompatible with simple logic". X=~X is a logical impossibility! (...you can't change anything if change does not exist!).
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

RJG wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:38 pm
Scott wrote:However, that statement is #47 of the 48 numbered statements. Do you agree with 1-46? If not, which is the first of the numbered statements with which you disagree?
I haven't really looked at the others. This one that Steve posted (a few posts above) caught my eye as a blatant contradiction.
If you can tell me which is the first of the 48 numbered statements with which you disagree, I think it will help me understand the exact nature and context of your objection to the argument in the OP.

Scott wrote:However, the whole conversation (or pseudo-conversation) can exist like a pseudo-scene in a pseudo-movie on an unplayed unchanging DVD containing the whole would-be movie including the would-be beginning, would-be middle, and would-be end. There's nothing contradictory about that.
RJG wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:38 pm Not so. If as you say, there is only "static data" on this "unchanging" DVD, then nothing is changing. And if nothing is changing, then there can't logically be conversations/scenes/movies or pseudo-conversations/scenes/movies (or "you" posting statement #47) on this DVD. There is only static data on this DVD. That's it. Nothing more.
I am using the words pseudo-scenes and pseudo-movie to refer to the fact that they are just static data on the unplayed DVD, hence the pseudo. So the unplayed DVD absolutely can contain an unplayed pseudo-movie with unplayed pseudo-scenes. I label it pseudo-movie because for some reason you don't want to call the data on the DVD a movie until the DVD is played at least once, which is fine.

RJG wrote:I'm saying if nothing can change in a 4D block universe, then "you" (as a member of this universe) likewise can't change (...i.e. you can't do anything, including posting statement # 47).
I am not sure what is meant by the word "you" in this context. If it refers to consciousness, or so-called 'conscious presence', or so-called 'conscious experience', then that would mean something drastically different than otherwise.

If you aren't asserting some kind of conscious presence or such, then the arguments against any kind of unconscious presence or objective now in the OP hold.

Assuming Scott is a philosophical zombie, then it may be fair to say in certain particular highly philosophical contexts that in the block universe model zombie-Scott does not really do anything since zombie-Scott's whole pseudo-life exists as static data on the figurative unchanging DVD, like a set of unplayed pseudo-scenes in an unplayed pseudo-movie stored as static data on an unchanging DVD. A would-be character in an unplayed would-be movie stored as static data on the DVD does not change the DVD, not even if the DVD is played, so in that way I agree with you. In that way, even if DVD players did exist and one (or more) players played the DVD, the ending of the then-played movie would not actually be changed by a character in the then-played movie. Zombie-Scott is like a would-be character in an unplayed pseudo-movie stored as static data on an unchanging DVD, and thus he cannot change the DVD or the would-be ending of the would-be movie, regardless of whether or not it gets played by any DVD players.

Determinism means that what you would call the future cannot be changed. Hypothetically playing one scene from the movie wouldn't change a later scene because the whole pseudo-movie including the ending exists as static unchanging data on the DVD. All pseudo-scenes exist as static data on the DVD and cannot be changed. In theory, they could be played by some kind of transcendental DVD players if such players exist, but determinism means even the transcendental players couldn't change the DVD or movie-ending.

Scott wrote:Does your allegation that the statement is contradictory rest on the assumption that I, Scott, am not a philosophical zombie?
RJG wrote: No, not at all. Your zombieness (or non-zombieness) is irrelevant to the logical impossibility of you doing something in the absence of change. If you exist in a universe of "no change" then you can't logically do (or change) anything.
That seems to be a version of the First Cause Argument. If I understand correctly, you are saying that the fact that something exists (even something unchanging) requires some creator/doer to have created/done it.

I disagree with the First Cause Argument. There is nothing logically contradictory about eternalism or the block universe model in itself. (It may be insufficient to explain/predict consciousness but that is not remotely the same as contradicting itself. Daniel Dennett's arguments about consciousness do not contradict themselves; they are just incompatible with actual consciousness.)

According to the block universe model, what you would label as the future already exists. It does not need anyone or anything to "do"/create it for it to come into existence. And it cannot be changed; you are right about that.

Scott wrote:Is it possible instead of meaning to claim the statement contradicts itself (which it doesn't), you are trying to say that it is incompatible with your own conscious experience, which is allegedly undeniable to you but not to me?
RJG wrote:It is not that it is "incompatible with my consciousness", it is "incompatible with simple logic".
It is not incompatible with simple logic.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Scott wrote: April 26th, 2021, 8:10 pm
If you can tell me which is the first of the 48 numbered statements with which you disagree, I think it will help me understand the exact nature and context of your objection to the argument in the OP.
To start with I disagree with #2 and the subsequent similar statements --it's not that those mathematical constructs don't exist, it's that they don't exist, at least not with any semantic content attached, as some objective/something external to minds.

After that, the first one I disagree with is #7. Left and right exist objectively as relations. It's just that they obtain relative to a spatial reference "point" --but that's the case for everything. Everything is relative to some (set of) spatiotemporal reference point(s).
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

"as some objective/something external to minds"

should have read

"as something objective/something external to minds."
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Scott
Alan Watts said that the godhead can't know itself just like light does not illuminate itself and a knife doesn't cut itself. The way I like to say it is this: even when we look in a mirror, the unfathomably beautiful essence is still always clothed in form. But yet maybe we can have some small rough indirect sense of the infinitely beautiful nakedness underneath.
Would you say then that noesis (immediate intuition, apprehension, or mental 'seeing' of principles) and dianoia (discursive thought) are really complimentary?

Consider beauty as a veil. As an atheist, Richard Feynman seeks to explore fragments while Simone Weil ponders the wholeness beauty conceals

Wholeness and fragments. Is there any reason why one side should attack the other as so often happens? Yet it happens. Is there any reason why a person cannot strive to experience Platonic forms yet at the same time put partial truths or fragments into a higher perspective. It seems to me that if our species could learn to do this, machines would serve Man rather than Man serving machines as happening now.

"Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars — mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is "mere". I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination — stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern — of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" ~ Richard P. Feynman

"Beauty is the only finality here below. As Kant said very aptly, it is a finality which involves no objective. A beautiful thing involves no good except itself, in its totality, as it appears to us. We are drawn toward it without knowing what to ask of it. It offers its own existence. We do not desire something else, we possess it, and yet we still desire something. We do not know in the least what it is. We want to get behind beauty, but it is only a surface. It is like a mirror that sends us back our own desire for goodness. It is a sphinx, an enigma, a mystery which is painfully tantalizing. We should like to feed upon it, but it is only something to look at; it appears only from a certain distance. The great trouble in human life is that looking and eating are two different operations. Only beyond the sky, in the country inhabited by God, are they one and the same operation. ... It may be that vice, depravity and crime are nearly always ... in their essence, attempts to eat beauty, to eat what we should only look at." ~ Simone Weil
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Atla

Post by Atla »

RJG wrote: April 26th, 2021, 5:53 pm
Atla wrote:Trying to get some answers in philosophy probably requires 6 dimensional thinking, but most people can't do 4.
...but any philosophy that disregards logic is called "Bad Philosophy".
There is no contradiction in 4 dimensions. What we experience as change, are all existing "snapshots" of an unchanging block universe.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Scott wrote:
Steve3007 wrote:I'll pick one for now:
[47] The 4D block universe that contains everything in 4D spacetime is timeless, unchanging, and eternal.
To me, the word "eternal" means "for all time".
That's not how I use the word, but I don't doubt some people do use it in the way you describe.
Understood. As you've suggested, I'll take it that in your usage "eternal" is synonymous with "timeless". In which case [47] is not self-contradictory but it is, in my view, wrong for reasons given in a previous post.
Is that (#18) the first of the 48 numbered statements with which you disagree?
No. The first one I disagree with is [7]. Given the explanation you gave as to how you're using the term "really exist" (the one with the Santa Claus example) I agree that, when used in that sense, mathematical tools/constructs like points, lines and axes do not exist. i.e. they're not extra-mental things or properties of those things. But leftness and rightness are. As I've said, I think you're erroneously conflating relativity (properties that make sense as relationships between extra-mental things) with not existing. Relative properties, such as relative spatial position (such as leftness and rightness), exist in a sense that Santa Claus does not.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:...but any philosophy that disregards logic is called "Bad Philosophy".
Atla wrote:There is no contradiction in 4 dimensions. What we experience as change, are all existing "snapshots" of an unchanging block universe.
This is self-contradicting (logically impossible) and therefore FALSE. Snapshots by themselves cannot give us the experience (or illusion) of "change", ...i.e. without the "flipping" of this flipbook of snapshots, there can be no illusion to experience.

Without "change" in this universe, there can be no illusion/experience of change; nor any experiences whatsoever.
Without "change" in this universe, Atla (a member of this universe) could not do anything, including posting to this forum.

As I see it, and from a geometric perspective, "change" is inherently pervasive in our dynamic (non-static) 4D universe.
  • 1D lines "change" into 2D planes
    2D planes "change" into 3D objects
    3D objects "change" into 4D motion
Last edited by RJG on April 27th, 2021, 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

RJG wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:04 am
RJG wrote:...but any philosophy that disregards logic is called "Bad Philosophy".
Atla wrote:There is no contradiction in 4 dimensions. What we experience as change, are all existing "snapshots" of an unchanging block universe.
This is self-contradicting (logically impossible) and therefore FALSE. Snapshots by themselves cannot give us the experience (or illusion) of "change", ...i.e. without the "flipping" of this flipbook of snapshots, there can be no illusion to experience.

Without "change" in this universe, there can be no illusion/experience of change.
Without "change" in this universe, Atla (a member of this universe) could not do anything, including posting to this forum.

As I see it, and from a geometric perspective, "change" is inherently pervasive in our dynamic (non-static) 4D universe.
  • 1D lines "change" into 2D planes
    2D planes "change" into 3D objects
    3D objects "change" into 4D motion
The mistake is on your part. You will have to give up the idea that there is a constant "you" that travels across spacetime. The "you" that started reading this sentence isn't the current "you".
RJG

Post by RJG »

Atla wrote:The mistake is on your part. You will have to give up the idea that there is a constant "you" that travels across spacetime. The "you" that started reading this sentence isn't the current "you".
Who said anything about "you" (or "me") traveling across spacetime??? My point was about the logical impossibility of an "unchanging" universe (...which "you" and "me" are members of, ...where we exist in spacetime is irrelevant).

I'm talking about "bad philosophy" (i.e. philosophy that disregards simple logic).
Atla

Post by Atla »

RJG wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:18 am
Atla wrote:The mistake is on your part. You will have to give up the idea that there is a constant "you" that travels across spacetime. The "you" that started reading this sentence isn't the current "you".
Who said anything about "you" (or "me") traveling across spacetime??? My point was about the logical impossibility of an "unchanging" universe (which you and me are members of).

I'm talking about "bad philosophy" (i.e. philosophy that disregards simple logic).
Then you took "snapshot" too literally. The block universe contains every moment, past present future all at once in one structure. Think of these moments as infinitessimal snapshots in space and time, that are all connected with each other.

We can only talk about space, time and change as relative features within the block universe. That's what humans experience, from our perspective they can be said to exist, spacetime has its own structure.

But the block universe as a whole does not change, is spaceless and timeless. What is illogical is the idea of genuine change, you are taking an illogical stance. Change is an accapted form of magic. Stuff disappears into nothingness, stuff appears out of nothingness, the whole thing is somehow driven in one direction.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream