Three Day Grace Period

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Steve3007

Re: Three Day Grace Period

Post by Steve3007 »

Nick_A wrote:You still don't understand the underlying point I was making concerning valuing the process of life itself. The cycle of life is a process.
The abortion question has nothing to do with the value we place on the cycle of life. It's perfectly possible to value the cycle of life while destroying an individual living thing. For example, you do it every time you eat. Do you eat meat? If so, do you value, and are you awed by, the cycle of life on Earth while at the same time eating bits of it simply because you enjoy the taste? I do.

And, of course, none of this has any bearing on the fact that values are, by definition, held by people. Valuing the cycle of life doesn't alter that definition.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Nick_A wrote:The value for life is based on pragmatism which justifies abortions as well as genocides by personal subjective values. If Man is the measure of all things he can make these decisions and does.
As I've said, the problem with your thesis is that it doesn't fit the evidence. Abortions do not lead to genocides. People who do not believe that man in the measure of all things also commit genocides. People who profess that objective morality and values exist frequently kill in the name of that objective morality. (Naturally, they get to decide what that objective morality is). Professing that the process of the cycle of life has objective value doesn't generally entail refraining from killing other living things. You don't refrain from killing other living things, do you? No. Neither do I.

You chose abortion to illustrate your point. You could just as easily have chosen, for example, the welfare of animals we keep for consumption as food, or the treatment of fully formed humans. Why didn't you?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Steve3007 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 5:44 am
Nick_A wrote:The value for life is based on pragmatism which justifies abortions as well as genocides by personal subjective values. If Man is the measure of all things he can make these decisions and does.
As I've said, the problem with your thesis is that it doesn't fit the evidence. Abortions do not lead to genocides. People who do not believe that man in the measure of all things also commit genocides. People who profess that objective morality and values exist frequently kill in the name of that objective morality. (Naturally, they get to decide what that objective morality is). Professing that the process of the cycle of life has objective value doesn't generally entail refraining from killing other living things. You don't refrain from killing other living things, do you? No. Neither do I.

You chose abortion to illustrate your point. You could just as easily have chosen, for example, the welfare of animals we keep for consumption as food, or the treatment of fully formed humans. Why didn't you?
It isn't that abortions lead to genocides but that abortions for convenience and genocides share the same motive in those killed lack value. Killing elephants for convenience is the same. Their only value is in their tusks.

In the past Jews and Armenians were killed for convenience since they lacked value and now the Uyghur genocide in China is the same. These people were believed to lack value.

An intelligent person will ask if it is human beings who have the authority to declare life preserving value or does life have value independent of what people argue?

Do the Uyghur people in China have value worthy of survival or should they be killed as inconvenient? If they do the question is value to who or what? Does a fetus three days before birth have value independent of what society and mother's think? If so, value to who or what?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Nick_A wrote: May 15th, 2021, 9:03 am

It isn't that abortions lead to genocides but that abortions for convenience and genocides share the same motive in those killed lack value. Killing elephants for convenience is the same. Their only value is in their tusks.

In the past Jews and Armenians were killed for convenience since they lacked value and now the Uyghur genocide in China is the same. These people were believed to lack value.

An intelligent person will ask if it is human beings who have the authority to declare life preserving value or does life have value independent of what people argue?

Do the Uyghur people in China have value worthy of survival or should they be killed as inconvenient? If they do the question is value to who or what? Does a fetus three days before birth have value independent of what society and mother's think? If so, value to who or what?
I am unfamiliar with this term that you have used several times. Please define what an "abortion for convenience" is.
"As usual... it depends."
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

LuckyR wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:12 am

I am unfamiliar with this term that you have used several times. Please define what an "abortion for convenience" is.
Abortions of convenience are abortions that take responsibilities from the mother For example These reasons include a mother not wanting the child to interfere with her career, not wanting to be single mother, not wanting to put her baby up for adoption, or simply not wanting another child. There is nothing surprising about this just like there is nothing surprising about convenience being the justification for genocides. It does raise the question of who or what determines the value of life and how can value be respected? Is the value of life determined only by convenience and the subjective concerns of the more powerful?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Nick_A wrote: May 16th, 2021, 8:34 am
LuckyR wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:12 am

Abortions of convenience are abortions that take responsibilities from the mother For example These reasons include a mother not wanting the child to interfere with her career, not wanting to be single mother, not wanting to put her baby up for adoption, or simply not wanting another child. There is nothing surprising about this just like there is nothing surprising about convenience being the justification for genocides. It does raise the question of who or what determines the value of life and how can value be respected? Is the value of life determined only by convenience and the subjective concerns of the more powerful?
So where would you put "I don't want to carry my rapist's child"?, how about "I don't want to carry my rapist brother's child"? How about "I don't want to carry this baby without a brain all the way to term"? Are those reasons "convenience"?

In addition (and I apologize for my lack of familiarity with your terminology) what do you mean by take responsibilities from the mother? Do you mean that the decision (and thus the responsibility) originates from the mother?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Nick_A wrote: May 16th, 2021, 8:34 am Abortions of convenience are abortions that take responsibilities from the mother For example These reasons include a mother not wanting the child to interfere with her career, not wanting to be single mother, not wanting to put her baby up for adoption, or simply not wanting another child. There is nothing surprising about this just like there is nothing surprising about convenience being the justification for genocides. It does raise the question of who or what determines the value of life and how can value be respected? Is the value of life determined only by convenience and the subjective concerns of the more powerful?
Why would any woman want to listen to you?
You are not going to step in and look after the child. And unless you have a house full of adopted children then you are not really in a position to criticise.
All I see is that it's all a bit too convenient for you to moralise on a subject that you have no prospect of ever being on the sharp end of.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Nick_A wrote:It isn't that abortions lead to genocides but that abortions for convenience and genocides share the same motive in those killed lack value. Killing elephants for convenience is the same. Their only value is in their tusks...
You seem to use the word "life" without acknowledging any differences between different instances of living things. Here are some instances of living things: A human adult. A human child. An elephant. A cow. A chicken. A runner bean. An amoeba. A bacterium. A newly fertilized human embryo. A newly fertilized elephant embryo. A 30 week old human foetus.

Do you value all of those instances equally? I don't. What would it mean to value those instances of life? Can it only mean wanting to keep them alive? I don't think so. For example, I value runner beans as one of the many marvels of evolution with structure and function that are wonders of the universe. That doesn't mean I refrain from killing and eating them.

If you think objective values exist and believe yourself to know what they are, do you think those objective values value all of those instances equally? Would you be happy to kill some of those instances of living things, but not others, for the sake of convenience (as opposed to the necessity of preserving other life which you value more highly)? I would. Would you, for example, be happy to kill (or have killed on your behalf) a cow for the sake of convenience? (i.e. not to keep you from starving but because you like the way it tastes). Do you think it's possible to do that yet still value cows? I do.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Steve,
You seem to use the word "life" without acknowledging any differences between different instances of living things. Here are some instances of living things: A human adult. A human child. An elephant. A cow. A chicken. A runner bean. An amoeba. A bacterium. A newly fertilized human embryo. A newly fertilized elephant embryo. A 30 week old human foetus
I acknowledge that the being of different life forms are not the same. You don't seem to acknowledge that all living beings are part of a larger wholeness performing a logical function we call universe. What is its value and is humanity as a whole capable of respecting the process of life as a whole before getting bogged down with which of these forms have value and which do not? Apparently not.
"When once a certain class of people has been placed by the temporal and spiritual authorities outside the ranks of those whose life has value, then nothing comes more naturally to men than murder." Simone Weil
Suppose city has a rat problem. Is there anything wrong with killing rats and does it contradict respect for life? No.
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” Einstein
Lions want to live and deer want to live. Which of these lives have value? Do the authorities make the decision when lions kill and eat deer? Obviously a person who still believes that philosophy is the love of wisdom will first ask what the value of life as a whole is and how is it decided? But who does? Which babies and races do we kill as inconvenient, lacking value, and unworthy of life?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

LuckyR
So where would you put "I don't want to carry my rapist's child"?, how about "I don't want to carry my rapist brother's child"? How about "I don't want to carry this baby without a brain all the way to term"? Are those reasons "convenience"?

In addition (and I apologize for my lack of familiarity with your terminology) what do you mean by take responsibilities from the mother? Do you mean that the decision (and thus the responsibility) originates from the mother?
How is carrying a baby full term without a brain considered respect for life and the life process? What does respect for life mean to you and who decides which lives have value and worthy of life?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Nick_A wrote:I acknowledge that the being of different life forms are not the same. You don't seem to acknowledge that all living beings are part of a larger wholeness performing a logical function we call universe. What is its value and is humanity as a whole capable of respecting the process of life as a whole before getting bogged down with which of these forms have value and which do not? Apparently not.
So why do you keep wanting to get bogged down with the specific question of the value of the lives of human foetuses? Any why do you keep arbitrarily insisting on linking that to genocide?
Which babies and races do we kill as inconvenient, lacking value, and unworthy of life?
Why not suggest that, for example, our attitude towards the value of non-human life makes us more prone to genocide? You'd have more of a case for that. One of the ways in which humans often create the culture in which killing other humans in those circumstances is accepted is to compare them to non-human animals (particularly species that humans have a history of not valuing highly for one reason or another, like rats). This is because various forms of animal life are not generally valued highly. Why not make that connection instead of insisting on making it about abortion?
You don't seem to acknowledge that all living beings are part of a larger wholeness performing a logical function we call universe.
What words would you see as constituting an acknowledgement of that?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

So, not getting bogged down with the value we place on specific instances of life, like human foetuses:

The value of life in general to me is above all that as far as we know at this point it exists only on one small blue-green speck of dust in one corner of one galaxy. A vast array of complex forms which, even now, we're still discovering. Evolving into ever more complex forms, the most complex of which have reached a point of self-awareness such that they can contemplate their own nature and origins. The whole process powered by a ball of hydrogen fusing into helium eight light minutes away.

In poetry and prose, the greatest but most succinct contemplation of the wonder of the natural world and of human life that springs to my mind is the one which contains within it the irony of Hamlet contemplating his own depression and disillusionment with it all:
Shakespeare wrote:I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o’erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?
I could go on. But no matter now long I went on, abortion would remain irrelevant. If I could pick the most relevant single theme it might be the tragedy of the Holocene extinction which we're currently going through, and, incidentally, to which global access to human birth control and the defence of women's rights over their own fertility and family planning is relevant.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Steve

So why do you keep wanting to get bogged down with the specific question of the value of the lives of human foetuses? Any why do you keep arbitrarily insisting on linking that to genocide?

Which babies and races do we kill as inconvenient, lacking value, and unworthy of life?

Why not suggest that, for example, our attitude towards the value of non-human life makes us more prone to genocide? You'd have more of a case for that. One of the ways in which humans often create the culture in which killing other humans in those circumstances is accepted is to compare them to non-human animals (particularly species that humans have a history of not valuing highly for one reason or another, like rats). This is because various forms of animal life are not generally valued highly. Why not make that connection instead of insisting on making it about abortion?

The question of the human fetus illustrates societal ignorance. A baby killed three days after birth could be guilty of fetal homicide but yet the same fetus killed three days before birth would be justified as late term abortion. It illustrates the abusurdity of the position and a real philosopher would ask who or what determines the objective value of a fetus.

Apparently philosophers with a love of wisdom are rare but those driven by agendas are rather common.

Experts can make the claim that non human lives are like rats which we kill. Since Jews and Armenians are considered the same for the genocidal mind then why not kill them? Of course it raises the question who or what determines the value of life as a whole. But this question is only the concern for the philosophic and religious mind. For all others, just support your agenda.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Steve
The value of life in general to me is above all that as far as we know at this point it exists only on one small blue-green speck of dust in one corner of one galaxy. A vast array of complex forms which, even now, we're still discovering. Evolving into ever more complex forms, the most complex of which have reached a point of self-awareness such that they can contemplate their own nature and origins. The whole process powered by a ball of hydrogen fusing into helium eight light minutes away.
I'm sorry but this doesn't make any logical sense for me. The universe is almost infinite in size and this enormous machine which transforms substances somehow creates all the complexities of organic life on this tiny speck called earth by trial and error and without a plan. This doesn't make logical sense
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Nick_A wrote: May 17th, 2021, 9:08 am LuckyR

How is carrying a baby full term without a brain considered respect for life and the life process? What does respect for life mean to you and who decides which lives have value and worthy of life?
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I don't advocate forcing a heart broken parent to carry a fetus without a brain to term. I don't call doing so having "respect for life", why you think I do baffles me.

As to "who decides?" Not you nor me, that's for sure. Not legislators. How about: the parents in consultation with their doctor.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream