Group Thought, Its Pros And Cons

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Re: Group Thought, Its Pros And Cons

Post by mystery »

LuckyR wrote: May 18th, 2021, 12:54 pm To me the "group" in group think, is a little different than what you are referring to. That is it is addressing the additional influence of an opinion whose source is a known group, thus gaining more popularity than it deserves on it's own.
Hi LuckyR, what is the options for liking or agreeing with a poster? I don't see any like button, do we just post words to agree, or is it assumed that silence is the agreement?

I can understand the difference between our idea of group think. I am thinking if or how the two ideas are possibly tied together. Perhaps they are not.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It should be said that groupthink has no gender. Mystery, groupthink is not actually not feminine, but it may seem so if one subscribes to the rugged male individualist trope, an angle that paints most men to be feminine. Clearly, the He-Man paradigm sets the bar for masculinity far too low. Men are capable of far more diverse behaviour than the old clichés that suggest that "real men" are basically a motile blocks of granite.

Popeye, based on your criteria "if you wish to know who controls you, look to that which you are not allowed to criticize", then I am controlled by almost everyone. The only people I am allowed to criticise are those with so much power that they would not notice my criticism. That is, those who control me are the ones I am most able to criticise, at least until China takes over.

Of course, we are not controlled by minority groups, many of whom we can't criticise. At least, one cannot criticise them in a professional setting for being who they are (as was long the case). In the west, such minorities are almost always controlled by elderly white straight men. Any rules protecting them are not an act of power by minorities but an act of mercy by the middle-aged and elderly white straight men who control the west.

There is still plenty of freedom for those who don't care what unreasonable people think.

The future - where China is leading the way - appears to be a time of extreme population and extreme connectivity. And the larger the populace and the greater the connectivity, the less free you are. Ultimately, the story of humanity looks likely to echo the story of our cells. That is, all individuality will eventually be surrendered to the will of larger entity. Anyone who fails to submit and let themselves be a blank slate placed into the chosen role of "ideal citizen" will simply be killed. One day people will look back on today's "political correctness" and pine for the freedoms we still enjoyed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi Borg, yes I agree with you about the future. My son laughs at me when I tell him that in the future he will remember that as a child we could get into a car and drive any place we wanted to go. That right will probably become a privilege and then be restricted. So many things of fiction have become fact.

As well as you state compliance with the group will at some point be by force in addition to shame. I agree.

To achieve the control and life pattern you predict it is necessary to reduce or remove masculinity from acceptance as by definition it does not conform to such things. At the same time it is a key point in natural selection (cross over with other threads). As the group thought expands others must reduce it as it is a zero-sum situation. If masculinity is not removed, revolt is for sure. If it is removed then a life of boring misery is in the future for all. Perhaps that is the definition of hell. Or maybe it is only removed from "others" and the core that you tell about who are in control intend to keep it for themself.

I still believe that the original group thought is a product of the feminine as a way to manage success and police each other. It works so well that men have also learned to use it. It is an extremely effective mechanism.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Sy Borg,
You flip flop a bit here, you can critizes the most powerful but they do not pay any attention to you, mostly to individual complaints they don't respond. I was thinking of the powerful right-wing Christians, and/or Christianity itself. It is a frightful condition in the states of sacred ignorance prevailing over reason and science and the separation of church and state. Makes the neighbors uneasy.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 7:57 pm
LuckyR wrote: May 18th, 2021, 12:54 pm To me the "group" in group think, is a little different than what you are referring to. That is it is addressing the additional influence of an opinion whose source is a known group, thus gaining more popularity than it deserves on it's own.
Hi LuckyR, what is the options for liking or agreeing with a poster? I don't see any like button, do we just post words to agree, or is it assumed that silence is the agreement?

I can understand the difference between our idea of group think. I am thinking if or how the two ideas are possibly tied together. Perhaps they are not.
Alas, I am unaware of a like button, we do have to write what we want to say. Your description is of how groups think, I was describing Group Think.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

popeye1945 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 11:12 pm Sy Borg,
You flip flop a bit here, you can critizes the most powerful but they do not pay any attention to you, mostly to individual complaints they don't respond. I was thinking of the powerful right-wing Christians, and/or Christianity itself. It is a frightful condition in the states of sacred ignorance prevailing over reason and science and the separation of church and state. Makes the neighbors uneasy.
The States is in a deeply unsettled state, and it seems numerous people are looking for reasons to be outraged. There's a current fashion to be the holder of the highest moral ground. A very old social game which has built in intensity in the world, and especially in the US.

Ultimately, with increased populations and connectivity, our freedoms are taken away simply but circumstance. There's a ton of things I dare not say online these days, which is the price of peace. It makes clear how the Chinese became the way they are; they have been dealing with living in others' pockets for a long time.

Welcome to the future.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:58 am Think about when you have seen a group of women talking/chatting/gossiping. Notice how they can behave as a group. They can all talk at the same time yet somehow end up with a common understanding of topics. If listening closely the actual words often do not fit with the information that has been exchanged. There is a sub communication within and a common group thought framework. Information is exchanged with each other in the group via this mechanism. Very difficult for a man to follow and comprehend, and for those that can it is very exhausting. Usually, men will just go do something else because the group garble is hard on the ears.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:53 pm No, women aren't from Venus, they come from Earth, as men do. There is no secret women's language, unknown and incomprehensible to men. Women just don't indulge in the ego-based willy-waving that preoccupies so many men. IMO.
mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 7:51 pm Sure, not sure if we disagree or are on a different idea. It can be either. I believe many/most women use sub communication meaning that when they have an emotional idea it gets verbalized as something else. Other women will in some way be able to identify the real concept while men may be confused as they try to make sense of the actual words.

8<

Chaser, are you understand the idea and disagree, or did my initial statements not convey the idea?

I think I understand. You suggest that women have a special way of communicating that men find difficult or impossible to understand. This is what I responded to, and this is what I disagree with. If you suggest that women have greater EQ, as a generalisation, I would agree. If you suggest that women communicate differently to men, even as a generalisation, I would disagree.

The communication you describe simply accounts for non-verbal communication. Not all the communication is contained in the words. This is normal human social interaction. Your description almost sounds like men are autistic, and women aren't, which is definitely not so. Some of us are autistic, but it is not confined to men. Some of us are exceptional communicators, especially in the context of non-verbal communication, but it is not confined to women.

So this is my response: I think what you describe does exist, to some extent, but your assignment of it to a gender-based skill I do not accept. I see no evidence for it (being gender-based) in the real world. Do you?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pros: Sometimes the group is right.
Cons: Sometimes the group is wrong.

People who forget the former sometimes have a tendency to see themselves as a Galileo-esque sort of figure, bravely defying orthodox wisdom and talking contemptuously about all those other sheep blindly following the herd. People who forget the latter sometimes forget that every single person in the world could believe something to be true yet that something could still be false.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The States is in a deeply unsettled state, and it seems numerous people are looking for reasons to be outraged. There's a current fashion to be the holder of the highest moral ground. A very old social game which has built in intensity in the world, and especially in the US.

Ultimately, with increased populations and connectivity, our freedoms are taken away simply but circumstance. There's a ton of things I dare not say online these days, which is the price of peace. It makes clear how the Chinese became the way they are; they have been dealing with living in others' pockets for a long time.
Welcome to the future.
[/quote]

The states gave up any pretense of holding the high moral ground with Vietnam and various places around the world. To quote the old Bush, " The world is just going to have to get used to the idea, what we say, goes!" If the Chinese didn't have their hands in the American economy, America would have made war on them before now. I agree, with government unchecked and technology such as it is the rights of the individual has already been over run. You have to admit however with the election of Trump as president, America has shown the world just how dumb the American public is. Dumb, powerful and amoral, a bad combination.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 9:40 am Pros: Sometimes the group is right.
Cons: Sometimes the group is wrong.

People who forget the former sometimes have a tendency to see themselves as a Galileo-esque sort of figure, bravely defying orthodox wisdom and talking contemptuously about all those other sheep blindly following the herd. People who forget the latter sometimes forget that every single person in the world could believe something to be true yet that something could still be false.
Exactly. The flat earthers doubtless suspect the rest of us are victims of the "group think" mentality. And they are right, although we are right that the world is a globe.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 19th, 2021, 9:23 am
mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:58 am Think about when you have seen a group of women talking/chatting/gossiping. Notice how they can behave as a group. They can all talk at the same time yet somehow end up with a common understanding of topics. If listening closely the actual words often do not fit with the information that has been exchanged. There is a sub communication within and a common group thought framework. Information is exchanged with each other in the group via this mechanism. Very difficult for a man to follow and comprehend, and for those that can it is very exhausting. Usually, men will just go do something else because the group garble is hard on the ears.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:53 pm No, women aren't from Venus, they come from Earth, as men do. There is no secret women's language, unknown and incomprehensible to men. Women just don't indulge in the ego-based willy-waving that preoccupies so many men. IMO.
mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 7:51 pm Sure, not sure if we disagree or are on a different idea. It can be either. I believe many/most women use sub communication meaning that when they have an emotional idea it gets verbalized as something else. Other women will in some way be able to identify the real concept while men may be confused as they try to make sense of the actual words.

8<

Chaser, are you understand the idea and disagree, or did my initial statements not convey the idea?

I think I understand. You suggest that women have a special way of communicating that men find difficult or impossible to understand. This is what I responded to, and this is what I disagree with. If you suggest that women have greater EQ, as a generalisation, I would agree. If you suggest that women communicate differently to men, even as a generalisation, I would disagree.

The communication you describe simply accounts for non-verbal communication. Not all the communication is contained in the words. This is normal human social interaction. Your description almost sounds like men are autistic, and women aren't, which is definitely not so. Some of us are autistic, but it is not confined to men. Some of us are exceptional communicators, especially in the context of non-verbal communication, but it is not confined to women.

So this is my response: I think what you describe does exist, to some extent, but your assignment of it to a gender-based skill I do not accept. I see no evidence for it (being gender-based) in the real world. Do you?
Cool, yes you for sure understand the idea and do not agree.

An example is a group of women who all notice some interesting man, happens all the time. One of them said, "the sun shining today feels good". They all agree with a smile. This can be extrapolated into all sorts of topics and words. It happens all the time and is the default for women that are feminine. The less feminine will do it less and be more direct like men speak. Understanding it is a skill that can be learned but is exhausting because we must process it, it does not come naturally.

Men might do the same thing, but it will be not often and very obvious only with very simple references. Women in groups do it to exponential degrees. They can actually exchange detailed information between the group or each other at the same time you are listening. The information they get is different than yours. A non-feminine lady will deny this because she can not do it just as men can not and usually will not be included in the communication. It's not intentional, and it is just as tiring for her to speak logically with you.

I know about autism and have references to men and women that are. This is something different, emotional communication vs logical.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

mystery wrote: May 19th, 2021, 11:46 pm I know about autism and have references to men and women that are. This is something different, emotional communication vs logical.
I am autistic, so I have a good idea of what I'm talking about. I don't think this is "something different", and I don't think it's much to do with gender, but there's little point in repeating what I said in my previous posts.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 20th, 2021, 11:17 am
mystery wrote: May 19th, 2021, 11:46 pm I know about autism and have references to men and women that are. This is something different, emotional communication vs logical.
I am autistic, so I have a good idea of what I'm talking about. I don't think this is "something different", and I don't think it's much to do with gender, but there's little point in repeating what I said in my previous posts.
cool, my daughter is also and I am in the spectrum. a little common in the software buisness.

we don't auto-read all of the emotional signallings that others can automatically. we have to actually learn how to observe and process it.

ok, we will agree to disagree.
Newme

Re: Group Thought, It's Pros And Cons

Post by Newme »

Nick_A wrote: May 15th, 2021, 5:08 pmThe great danger of collectivism is its tendency to devolve reason into a means for justifying the secular pragmatic desires of the state as opposed to the normal human need for experiencing universal truths. When the means only exist to serve the ends defined by the collective, Society remains an atom of the Great Beast or sub human with the potential to become human or what human being is capable of without being indoctrinated by the collective
Thank you for this breath of fresh air. I may misunderstand you, but it seems that you have stepped outside both atheist and theist boxes to consider human potential. Admirable - and rare!

Of course we may or may not agree on what constitutes universal truths. What are they to you?
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

This statement is about the exception, not the norm, and is laid out quite nicely in Joseph Campbell's the hero's journey. find link below.

https://odyssey.antiochsb.edu/literary/ ... s-journey/

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream