Group Thought, Its Pros And Cons

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
LuckyR

Re: Group Thought, Its Pros And Cons

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: May 17th, 2021, 1:19 am
popeye1945 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 10:44 pm Sy Borg,

Excellent much food for thought. One particular type of group thought which is intriguing is when the subject isn't aware of his indoctrination. I attended a church service with a friend a while back [most unusual for me] and was struck by the obvious brainwashing methods in use. I am sure my friend would not have appreciated my pointing them out.
Popeye, I suspect it's a matter of degree, although religions have made indoctrination into a fine art.

The older I get, the more I notice indoctrination in me - both religious and secular - despite my lifelong question to have a "clean mental windshield". Alas, there's still plenty of dead bugs and tree droppings to clean off, so to speak. As you know, the quest for clarity is always a work in progress.
There is nothing wrong with "dead bugs and tree droppings" ie biases, as long as one is aware them and compensates for them. Am I blind to race? No. Do I likely conceptualize members of different races identically the same in my mind? No, probably not. Do I actually provide professional services differently to members of different races? No, definitely not. How do I accomplish this? By being "blind" to race? No, by acknowledging and embracing my biases and consciously compensating for them. Those of us who have the luxury of professional guidelines and standards have a yardstick to measure performance in real time and thus can guarantee uniform deliverance of services within a nonuniform environment.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: May 17th, 2021, 1:41 am
Sy Borg wrote: May 17th, 2021, 1:19 am

Excellent much food for thought. One particular type of group thought which is intriguing is when the subject isn't aware of his indoctrination. I attended a church service with a friend a while back [most unusual for me] and was struck by the obvious brainwashing methods in use. I am sure my friend would not have appreciated my pointing them out.
Popeye, I suspect it's a matter of degree, although religions have made indoctrination into a fine art.

The older I get, the more I notice indoctrination in me - both religious and secular - despite my lifelong question to have a "clean mental windshield". Alas, there's still plenty of dead bugs and tree droppings to clean off, so to speak. As you know, the quest for clarity is always a work in progress.
There is nothing wrong with "dead bugs and tree droppings" ie biases, as long as one is aware them and compensates for them. Am I blind to race? No. Do I likely conceptualize members of different races identically the same in my mind? No, probably not. Do I actually provide professional services differently to members of different races? No, definitely not. How do I accomplish this? By being "blind" to race? No, by acknowledging and embracing my biases and consciously compensating for them. Those of us who have the luxury of professional guidelines and standards have a yardstick to measure performance in real time and thus can guarantee uniform deliverance of services within a nonuniform environment.
Race blindness is induced by repeated contact, as is the case for any human variance, which you no doubt notice with your repeat patients. In time, you can develop a whole new new objectification. Instead of thinking to yourself, "that's the huge black dude" you'll think "that's the dude with a congenital heart murmur and diabetes on Jardiance 25mg" :)

We'll always lump people together in some way. That's what happens when you have more cursory than repeated contact. So strangers end up being effectively more one's environment than individuals, and they are unconsciously grouped and classified, just as our ancestors did. However, as you say, we can think past these inherited impulses, to know in our minds that strangers might seem like an amorphous mass but we know that each person has a story.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: May 17th, 2021, 5:11 am We'll always lump people together in some way.
Yes, I think we have always done this. Sadly, one aspect of this is sorting people into 'them' and 'us', which is often a prequel to aiding 'us' and opposing (maybe even violently) 'them'. There are other such aspects too, of course.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Indoctrination and brainwashing are terms which (IMO) we should use carefully. Consider the schooling and education of our children and young people. If we approve of the education they're given, we might describe it and refer to it as preparing them for life in society by teaching them all the things they need to know. But if we don't approve of their education, we might describe it as indoctrination or brainwashing. It's like describing people as 'freedom fighters' if we approve of them and/or their struggle, and 'terrorists' if we don't.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 17th, 2021, 9:18 am

Indoctrination and brainwashing are terms which (IMO) we should use carefully. Consider the schooling and education of our children and young people. If we approve of the education they're given, we might describe it and refer to it as preparing them for life in society by teaching them all the things they need to know. But if we don't approve of their education, we might describe it as indoctrination or brainwashing. It's like describing people as 'freedom fighters' if we approve of them and/or their struggle, and 'terrorists' if we don't.
The same is true of terms like "group think" -- as I pointed out in my earlier post.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Pattern Chaser.

Point well taken, from my atheist perspective it looked like brainwashing, from his simple orientation, or part of the ritual.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

One conditioning point in that of groupthink , if you wish to know who controls you, look to that which you are not allowed to criticize
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

LOL!! Ecelllent!!!
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Group thought is a bit feminine. ← statement open for criticism.

I think most of the contributors in this topic may be male far. Sorry in case I got that wrong.

Think about when you have seen a group of women talking/chatting/gossiping. Notice how they can behave as a group. They can all talk at the same time yet somehow end up with a common understanding of topics. If listening closely the actual words often do not fit with the information that has been exchanged. There is a sub communication within and a common group thought framework. Information is exchanged with each other in the group via this mechanism. Very difficult for a man to follow and comprehend, and for those that can it is very exhausting. Usually, men will just go do something else because the group garble is hard on the ears.

Men often exchange ideas in more of a non-group method. Can be a group of men, but usually, the speaking is one at a time and the communication is one-to-one or one to many but not group speak.

I don't see it as good or bad, it just is.

The primary tool for enforcement of group thought is shame. The primary tool for being independent of group thought is self-esteem. Self-esteem can negate the power of shame.

I concur with all that have suggested religion as using group think vs shame.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:58 am Group thought is a bit feminine. ← statement open for criticism.

I think most of the contributors in this topic may be male far. Sorry in case I got that wrong.

Think about when you have seen a group of women talking/chatting/gossiping. Notice how they can behave as a group. They can all talk at the same time yet somehow end up with a common understanding of topics. If listening closely the actual words often do not fit with the information that has been exchanged. There is a sub communication within and a common group thought framework. Information is exchanged with each other in the group via this mechanism. Very difficult for a man to follow and comprehend, and for those that can it is very exhausting. Usually, men will just go do something else because the group garble is hard on the ears.

Men often exchange ideas in more of a non-group method. Can be a group of men, but usually, the speaking is one at a time and the communication is one-to-one or one to many but not group speak.
To me the "group" in group think, is a little different than what you are referring to. That is it is addressing the additional influence of an opinion whose source is a known group, thus gaining more popularity than it deserves on it's own.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:58 am Think about when you have seen a group of women talking/chatting/gossiping. Notice how they can behave as a group. They can all talk at the same time yet somehow end up with a common understanding of topics. If listening closely the actual words often do not fit with the information that has been exchanged. There is a sub communication within and a common group thought framework. Information is exchanged with each other in the group via this mechanism. Very difficult for a man to follow and comprehend, and for those that can it is very exhausting. Usually, men will just go do something else because the group garble is hard on the ears.

No, women aren't from Venus, they come from Earth, as men do. There is no secret women's language, unknown and incomprehensible to men. Women just don't indulge in the ego-based willy-waving that preoccupies so many men. IMO.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

I was raised--by parents and extended family and friends--by libertarians/"freethinkers"/hippies/etc. who encouraged following one's own muse, "letting one's freak flag fly," following existential authenticity, and so on, so I avoided a lot of the seduction of adopting opinions just to fit in with or be accepted by a social group.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:53 pm
mystery wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:58 am Think about when you have seen a group of women talking/chatting/gossiping. Notice how they can behave as a group. They can all talk at the same time yet somehow end up with a common understanding of topics. If listening closely the actual words often do not fit with the information that has been exchanged. There is a sub communication within and a common group thought framework. Information is exchanged with each other in the group via this mechanism. Very difficult for a man to follow and comprehend, and for those that can it is very exhausting. Usually, men will just go do something else because the group garble is hard on the ears.

No, women aren't from Venus, they come from Earth, as men do. There is no secret women's language, unknown and incomprehensible to men. Women just don't indulge in the ego-based willy-waving that preoccupies so many men. IMO.
Sure, not sure if we disagree or are on a different idea. It can be either. I believe many/most women use sub communication meaning that when they have an emotional idea it gets verbalized as something else. Other women will in some way be able to identify the real concept while men may be confused as they try to make sense of the actual words.

A very course example of the idea is presented in one of our common television shows.
"Darmok" is the 102nd episode of the American science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, the second episode of the fifth season.
enDOTwikipediaDOTorg/wiki/Darmok

Symbolism and emotion are presented to convey meaning while the actual words are not useful without context.

Chaser, are you understand the idea and disagree, or did my initial statements not convey the idea?
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 18th, 2021, 5:20 pm I was raised--by parents and extended family and friends--by libertarians/"freethinkers"/hippies/etc. who encouraged following one's own muse, "letting one's freak flag fly," following existential authenticity, and so on, so I avoided a lot of the seduction of adopting opinions just to fit in with or be accepted by a social group.
What about the opinion that one should follow one's own muse and let one's freak flag fly? Or don't those count?

I don't think anyone avoids the seduction of adopting opinions to fit in. We are social animals. Most of what we "know" is what we have been taught by people we admire or trust -- our parents, our teachers, the authors of books. Some of us trust scientists, historians and philosophers, others astrologers, gurus and conspiracy theorists,
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Ecurb wrote: May 18th, 2021, 7:51 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: May 18th, 2021, 5:20 pm I was raised--by parents and extended family and friends--by libertarians/"freethinkers"/hippies/etc. who encouraged following one's own muse, "letting one's freak flag fly," following existential authenticity, and so on, so I avoided a lot of the seduction of adopting opinions just to fit in with or be accepted by a social group.
What about the opinion that one should follow one's own muse and let one's freak flag fly? Or don't those count?

I don't think anyone avoids the seduction of adopting opinions to fit in. We are social animals. Most of what we "know" is what we have been taught by people we admire or trust -- our parents, our teachers, the authors of books. Some of us trust scientists, historians and philosophers, others astrologers, gurus and conspiracy theorists,
"I avoided a lot of the seduction of adopting opinions just to fit in with or be accepted by a social group" has very different semantic content than "Not a single view that anyone I knew had influenced me."

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream