There Is No Such Thing As Human Action, There Is But Reaction

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: There Is No Such Thing As Human Action, There Is But Reaction

Post by Terrapin Station »

Sy Borg wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:42 pm Trivial freedom, of the kind that insects and flatworms enjoy, is not in question, as far as I can tell.
It is when we get to the point of people being silly enough to deny that people can make decisions, act on those decisions, etc. period.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

[/quote="I intentionally did x" and "I willed x" are saying the same thing. Intention in that sense is another way of talking about will. It's not that you have an intention then you need to do something for it to be something you will.
The first step didn't mention anything about a response. It was just that you can have an intention to do something.
The second step is that if you have an intention to do something, at least in some cases, like moving your arm (ceteris paribus--so that you're not paralyzed, etc.), you can move your arm.
[/quote]

Terrapin Station,
The term response was just to clarify that response is reaction, reaction is response. If you make something your intention you have made it your will to do, to react in some way.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:29 am
popeye1945 wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 7:42 pm [/quote=You don't have to choose "I can move my left arm or I can move my right arm" to be able to choose one or the other.
Terrapin Station,
Choice is not an issue, we all have choices as to how to react, at least apparently. Again any movement to affect change is motivated, thus it is a reaction.
What made it an issue is that RJG suggested that decisions are not possible.
[/quote]

Terrapin Station
You have somehow gotten the quotations screwed up, the first one is not mine. The second one attributed to you is a statement of mine.
I do not know why he would say that, the fact that one can choose between possible responses/reactions cleary establishes a decisions being made.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

If you can intelligibly talk about subjects and objects, you and the world, they're separable.
They're only not separable if we can't intelligibly talk about two different things there.

Saying that one thing is separable from another doesn't amount to saying that the things do not interact, it doesn't suggest that they're in a vacuum with respect to each other, that they're somehow (incorrigibly) isolated from each other, etc. It just means that it's not just one, logically identical thing, there can be a distinction made somehow.
[/quote]

Terrapin Station,
No, subject and object are not separable, there is a duality there that is mutually dependent. The physical world as object is the fuel your brain runs upon and thus is created the mind. If you take away the object the subject ceases to be, take away the subject and the world as object ceases to be.The fact that they are inseparable means they are one, which means you are one with the earth as object. Your are a functional part of the earth that is known to you on a cognitive level. You are the ears, eyes, and consciousness of the earth.
Terrapin Station

popeye1945 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 8:35 am I do not know why he would say that, the fact that one can choose between possible responses/reactions cleary establishes a decisions being made.
He apparently thinks it requires that you choose the choice that's to be made, and then he thinks it would require that you choose the choice of the choice that's to be made and so on in an infinite regress.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Correction, there is only seemingly a duality not one in fact.
Terrapin Station

popeye1945 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 8:50 am Terrapin Station,
No, subject and object are not separable, there is a duality there that is mutually dependent. The physical world as object is the fuel your brain runs upon and thus is created the mind. If you take away the object the subject ceases to be, take away the subject and the world as object ceases to be.The fact that they are inseparable means they are one, which means you are one with the earth as object. Your are a functional part of the earth that is known to you on a cognitive level. You are the ears, eyes, and consciousness of the earth.
You're not understanding my comment. If they're not separable, then we literally wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

For example, if your hand isn't separable from a pen, then you'd literally not be able to tell what's your hand and what's the pen. You wouldn't be able to pick up a pen with your hand; it would be the same as asking you to pick up your hand with your (same) hand, or asking you to pick up a pen with the same pen.

That you can make a distinction between your hand and a pen means that they're separable.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

You are missing the point, everything about your knowledge about the physical world is how you react to it. Without thought sure they seem like two things but they indeed are not. The physical world as object is your biological readout on a cognitive level Take away one and the other ceases to be. You need to ponder the relation between subject and object, for as Schopenhauer said, subject and object stand or fall together.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Terrapin Station wrote:What made it an issue is that RJG suggested that decisions are not possible.
Are you referring to "conscious" decisions or "non-conscious" decisions (aka bodily reactions)?
  • Conscious (consciously made) decisions are logically impossible.
    Non-consciously made decisions are possible (...they happen all the time!)
ALL of our decisions are made without our knowledge. The knowing (consciousness) of our decisions is always 'after'-the-fact (after the decision has already been made).

To help better understand the logical impossibility of "consciously made decisions", ask yourself the following:
  • 1. Did you consciously (knowingly) choose the thoughts that were used in deciding?
    • If NO, then "YOU" did NOT decide anything.
      If YES, then go to question #2
    2. Did you consciously choose those thoughts that were used to choose these thoughts that were used in deciding?
      If YES, then go to question #3
    3. Did you consciously choose those thoughts that were used to choose those thoughts that were used to choose these thoughts that were used in deciding?
      If YES, then go to question #4
    .4. Continue this process until it finally sinks in that "YOU" did NOT decide anything.
THEREFORE, conscious decision-making is logically impossible. All decisions are non-consciously made (are just "bodily reactions"); they are made without our knowledge! ...and only 'after' the decision is made can we then consciously realize what decision was made.
Last edited by RJG on June 4th, 2021, 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Terrapin Station

popeye1945 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 9:22 am You are missing the point, everything about your knowledge about the physical world is how you react to it. Without thought sure they seem like two things but they indeed are not. The physical world as object is your biological readout on a cognitive level Take away one and the other ceases to be. You need to ponder the relation between subject and object, for as Schopenhauer said, subject and object stand or fall together.
"Take one away and the other ceases to be" would make zero sense if we were talking about something inseparable, because there would only be one thing. There's no "one" and "the other" to even make sense of the sentence.
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: June 4th, 2021, 9:42 am
Terrapin Station wrote:What made it an issue is that RJG suggested that decisions are not possible.
Are you referring to "conscious" decisions or "non-conscious" decisions (aka bodily reactions)?
ALL of our decisions are made without our knowledge. The knowing (consciousness) of our decisions is always 'after'-the-fact (after the decision has already been made).

To help better understand the logical impossibility of "consciously made decisions", ask yourself the following:
  • 1. Did you consciously (knowingly) choose the thoughts that were used in deciding?
    2. Did you consciously choose those thoughts that were used to choose these thoughts that were used in deciding?
      If YES, then go to question #3
    3. Did you consciously choose those thoughts that were used to choose those thoughts that were used to choose these thoughts that were used in deciding?
      If YES, then go to question #4
    .4. Continue this process until it finally sinks in that "YOU" did NOT decide anything.
THEREFORE, conscious decision-making is logically impossible. All decisions are non-consciously made (are just "bodily reactions"); they are made without our knowledge! ...and only 'after' the decision is made can we then consciously realize what decision was made.
Is "the thought that is used in deciding" something like "I can move my right arm or my left arm"? Or do you have something else in mind?
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

RJG wrote: June 4th, 2021, 9:42 am Are you referring to "conscious" decisions or "non-conscious" decisions (aka bodily reactions)?

When you say nonconsciously made decisions, do you mean subconsciously made decisions?

If yes, then "YOU" are still making the decisions - the subconscious is still part of "YOU", isn't it?
If no, then who, or what, is making the decision?
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

popeye1945 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 8:50 am No, subject and object are not separable, there is a duality there that is mutually dependent. The physical world as object is the fuel your brain runs upon and thus is created the mind. If you take away the object the subject ceases to be, take away the subject and the world as object ceases to be.The fact that they are inseparable means they are one, which means you are one with the earth as object. Your are a functional part of the earth that is known to you on a cognitive level. You are the ears, eyes, and consciousness of the earth.
Popeye, I believe I understand what you are saying here. I think the problem that you're running into in explaining this is you're trying to use a type of language and reasoning that is dualistic in nature to explain a non-dualistic idea - the very act of thinking or talking in terms of subjects and objects, or actions and reactions, is already dualistic.

Have you read Robert Pirsig's work by chance? He explores at length the very idea you are talking about here but it takes him his first full book just to lay out the problem and propose his solution by suggesting an alternative to what he calls the subjective/objective metaphysics or mindset. I think it's really interesting how he resolves this issue. Prisig is maybe looked down upon by academic philosophy because of the informal way he chose to present his ideas, but I've found them to be of value in making sense of the issues around subject/object relationship.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
RJG

Post by RJG »

Terrapin Station wrote:Is "the thought that is used in deciding" something like "I can move my right arm or my left arm"? Or do you have something else in mind?
Yes it could be if that is somehow used in the decision process.

RJG wrote:Are you referring to "conscious decisions or "non-conscious" decisions (aka bodily reactions)?

Thomyum2 wrote:When you say nonconsciously made decisions, do you mean subconsciously made decisions?
No. The way I see it is that you are either conscious of X, or you are not conscious of X. One or the other.

Thomyum2 wrote:If yes, then "YOU" are still making the decisions - the subconscious is still part of "YOU", isn't it?
If no, then who, or what, is making the decision?
Non-conscious decisions are bodily reactions.
Conscious decisions are logically impossible.

Therefore, ALL our decisions are non-consciously made (are just "bodily reactions"); they are made without our knowledge. The knowing (consciousness) of our decisions is always 'after'-the-fact (after the decision has already been made).
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: June 4th, 2021, 2:54 pm
Terrapin Station wrote:Is "the thought that is used in deciding" something like "I can move my right arm or my left arm"? Or do you have something else in mind?
Yes it could be if that is somehow used in the decision process.
Right. So as I asked before, why would it be necessary for you to choose "I can move my right arm or my left arm" in order for you to be able to choose to either move your right arm or left arm?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream