All Fear Is The Fear Of Death

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Fanman

Re: All Fear Is The Fear Of Death

Post by Fanman »

If all fear is the fear of death. Why are people afraid of things that cannot cause death?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Sy Borg wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 6:12 pm Rejection and humiliation very often lead to death …giving gays the right to marry would soon and inevitably lead to the legalisation of marriage to animals.
“very often” does not include all fear.

Fear of legislation of marriage to animals doesn’t bring an individual to fear of death.

Not all fear is fear of death.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Fanman wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 4:31 am If all fear is the fear of death. Why are people afraid of things that cannot cause death?
If looked at closely one might see that the object of fear has not really been identified. When one is afraid to go out of the house what is one to think, withdrawal is a means of survival.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

AverageBozo wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 7:20 am
Sy Borg wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 6:12 pm Rejection and humiliation very often lead to death …giving gays the right to marry would soon and inevitably lead to the legalisation of marriage to animals.
Fear of legislation of marriage to animals doesn’t bring an individual to fear of death.
AverageBozo,
If one is anticipating the fall of civilization to a social animal that definitely spells the fear of death.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

popeye1945 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 2:08 pm
AverageBozo wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 7:20 am
AverageBozo,
If one is anticipating the fall of civilization to a social animal that definitely spells the fear of death.
Are you now saying that an individual considers his/her own mortality, and fears that mortality, if legislation permitting and regulating the marriage of gays is enacted, because that legislation will lead to the destruction of human civilization and replacement of that civilization by another society, I.e. that of lower animals?

I think that would be quite a stretch, and one that would only apply to those who are anticipating those circumstances, but would not apply to everyone nor to all fears as the OP has suggested.

Make no mistake. I am countering your logic in making your claims, and do not mean to disrespect you in any way.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Hi AverageBozo.
The fail of civilization would just mean chaos, and today that possibility is a pending reality that frightens a lot of people. People sometimes just turn off the news for that very reason.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

popeye1945 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 6:12 pm Hi AverageBozo.
The fail of civilization would just mean chaos, and today that possibility is a pending reality that frightens a lot of people. People sometimes just turn off the news for that very reason.
Does the fall of civilization result in everybody dying, or everyone just reverting to an uncivilized version of survival? A pending reality that does not cause immediate death is not a fear of death, which is what this thread is about. Fear of chaos is not the same as fear of death per se.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Does the fall of civilization result in everybody dying, or everyone just reverting to an uncivilized version of survival? A pending reality that does not cause immediate death is not a fear of death, which is what this thread is about. Fear of chaos is not the same as fear of death per se.
AverageBozo,
One cannot adapt to chaos so indeed it should evoke a fear of death unless one is totally unaware. The present state of the environment evokes fear in much of the population, again unless one is totally unaware.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

popeye1945,
If looked at closely one might see that the object of fear has not really been identified. When one is afraid to go out of the house what is one to think, withdrawal is a means of survival.
What if the object causing fear has been identified? Why does being afraid of a particular thing or circumstance mean that it is a fear of death? How can you reconcile causation between the fear of the object and the fear of death and it not just be an opinion?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

popeye1945 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 1:08 am
But rejection and humiliation do not necessarily lead to death. Certainly they may reduce one’s chances of mating with the best genetic choices.

Fear of the future.
Fear of change.
Fear of failure.
Fear of criticism.
Fear of embarrassment.

Fear of escalators.
[/quote]
agree, death is not the largest fear. it can be, however, it will come no matter what. I recommend a book, "the power of now" for any that fear death and are limited because of that.
[/quote]

Mystery,

All of the above qualify for the possibility of the fear of death. Actually, if you read Sy Borg's post in this thread she answered this much more eloquently than I would have. Mystery, who is the author of this book, "The power of now."
[/quote]

The book's author is Eckhart Tolle. Sure, I'll look again at Borg's post again.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sy Borg wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 6:12 pm
AverageBozo wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 6:04 pm
popeye1945 wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 11:50 am
mystery wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 7:59 am two different ones.

the fear of being crippled in some way that is serious.

the fear of shame.
Mystery,
One must ask what is the object of the fear, what will happen as a result of serious injury, in nature it often means death.
Shame, again what might happen if one is rejected, again in nature the result is often death to social or pack animals.
But rejection and humiliation do not necessarily lead to death. Certainly they may reduce one’s chances of mating with the best genetic choices.

Fear of the future.

Fear of change.

Fear of failure.

Fear of criticism.

Fear of embarrassment.

Fear of escalators.
Rejection and humiliation very often lead to death. It may be by suicide, or it may connected to resultant poverty. If our direction in life is backwards then we know where that can lead if the slide is not arrested. The subconscious often sees such a backwards slide as a potential catastrophe, especially in modern societies, just as fundamentalists claimed that giving gays the right to marry would soon and inevitably lead to the legalisation of marriage to animals. A fearful mind tends not to be logical.
Hi Borge, I can understand your viewpoint and mostly agree. Perhaps the difference of opinion is that I do not consciously view death as the worst outcome. Any that accepts suicide also would have the same view. I also do not accept suicide as the proper solution because it is a submission, although I have pity for those that do instead of the disgust that some tell of.

For all fear to be tied to death would mean that death is the worst condition. Often those that truly shine, advance, and affect positive change have made some inner peace, and the goals they have to exceed the fear of death.

I would agree that ppl that are stuck, may tie all fear to death.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Mystery,
I think those who live life to the fullest do recognize the reality of this all fear is the fear of death and refuse to bow to it. Many who live exemplary lives do dangerous things, but they don't do them foolishly. They educate themselves as a stuntman might prepare for a dangerous challenge. You are right, death is not such a terrible thing, the fear of death is worst than death itself, and can govern one's life.
mystery

Post by mystery »

popeye1945 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:47 pm Mystery,
I think those who live life to the fullest do recognize the reality of this all fear is the fear of death and refuse to bow to it. Many who live exemplary lives do dangerous things, but they don't do them foolishly. They educate themselves as a stuntman might prepare for a dangerous challenge. You are right, death is not such a terrible thing, the fear of death is worst than death itself, and can govern one's life.
Ok, you got me on that. I'll have to think more about it. Good argument.
Spinix

Post by Spinix »

Lets start from a random fear and work the way down to the fear of death. Say I'm afraid to not make tryouts for the basketball team. If I were not able to make the basketball team it would prove that even though I put a lot of effort into something, I was not talented enough for society. Society is how I/we stay alive, and I feel there is a natural sensation of helplessness and very possible death because of not being caught up with society. This goes a little off the hook but I can see how every fear can be linked to the natural fear of death in some way. Now as the human race is more advanced survival is easier. Our DNA has not caught on to this as it is so recent, relatively speaking. We still have all the natural fears that used to lead to death, like not being accepted in a group of people. The fear of not passing on your genes is the basis of it all as the fear of one dying relates to this and the fear of your kids dying.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Spinix wrote: May 24th, 2021, 12:13 am Lets start from a random fear and work the way down to the fear of death. Say I'm afraid to not make tryouts for the basketball team. If I were not able to make the basketball team it would prove that even though I put a lot of effort into something, I was not talented enough for society. Society is how I/we stay alive, and I feel there is a natural sensation of helplessness and very possible death because of not being caught up with society. This goes a little off the hook but I can see how every fear can be linked to the natural fear of death in some way. Now as the human race is more advanced survival is easier. Our DNA has not caught on to this as it is so recent, relatively speaking. We still have all the natural fears that used to lead to death, like not being accepted in a group of people. The fear of not passing on your genes is the basis of it all as the fear of one dying relates to this and the fear of your kids dying.
Hi Spinix,
Excellent summation! In nature, there is only one fear and that is the fear of death, its a constent, if you observe animals in the wild they are always on the alert. In our ancient history, we would be on the alert for lions lurking in the grass, now we might be alert to on coming cars. Animals have greater emotional lives than most people give them credit for but the emotion of fear stands out because there is a constant arms race between predator and prey, life lives upon life is the harsh reality of existence. In the modern world, this fear has become more abstract and with being self aware we sometimes fear the group, because as social animals we depend upon them and need their approval. Today we are more likely to be preyed upon by our fellow citizens than prowling lions. What makes a man get up in the morning to go to a job he hates year in and year out, the fear of death is a great motivator sometimes overcome the human will and killing a person's spirit.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream