What is the root cause of misogyny?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sculptor1

Re: What is the root cause of misogyny?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 9th, 2021, 6:47 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:17 am "Conniving" isn't a skill, and it is in no way admirable.
Cambridge English Dictionary wrote:Conniving - adjective - A conniving person deceives others for their own advantage
Synonyms for "conniving" include "sly", "deceitful", "devious" and "underhand".

It is not privileged information that "conniving" is an insult in English. Most English-speakers know this; those that don't can easily consult a dictionary. Why would you try to twist this insult into a 'compliment' to the 'skill' of women? And why do you leap so readily to the defence of someone who insults women?
Sculptor1 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:10 am The definition of conniving relates to the ability to conspire with others to do something illegal or immoral. It often includes deceit of some kind, but not definitively.

Coinniving is definitely a skill,since it requires a skill set of capabilities that can as easily be described with a positive less perjorative word such collaborating, synergetic, correlative, reciprocal. I am pretty sure that King Charles would have called Cromwell conniving, until his head came off, whilst the majority of Parliementarains were collobrating to overthrow a tyrrant.

One man's conniving bastard is another man's resistance fighter.
The way that paedophiles practice their 'art' 🤮 - evading detection while gaining access to their victims under the noses of those who would protect them, etc - could, in the same way, be described as a 'skill' 🤮. But few people would choose the words art or 'skill' to describe it. The strongly positive and approving connotations of these words does not mesh with the negativity of what is being described.

Skill or not, "conniving" is a wholly negative thing that is not considered in any way admirable. It is scorned and despised by most.
One man's meat is another man's poison. Just because you do not like someone does not mean they are skillless.
Why are you bringing paedophilia into this?
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 9th, 2021, 6:47 amSkill or not, "conniving" is a wholly negative thing that is not considered in any way admirable. It is scorned and despised by most.
That was the point. A root reason women are disliked by both men and women is because they are especially capable of a skill that is widely considered to be undesirable. I gave an argument for why they possess this skill.

You seem to be assuming that misogyny is necessarily irrational. This is an assumption that would need to be defended. When the entire human race throughout all of history exhibits a particular belief, you have to be open to the idea that the belief has some basis in reality. Again, even the early feminists did not dogmatically hold to the belief that misogyny is necessarily irrational. I would say there are aspects of it that are irrational, and others that are not.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:09 pm
Leontiskos wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:47 am ...the fact that women are much more conniving than men...
That is a statement that I think you need to justify, if you expect it to be accepted. It looks a lot like misogyny, albeit a pretty mild version of it?
I literally justified the sentence in the very post you quoted. You cut off the justification with ellipses ("...").
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

For me, this topic has become uncomfortably toxic in its direction and intent.

<unsubscribe>
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 10th, 2021, 7:17 am For me, this topic has become uncomfortably toxic in its direction and intent.
Your approach is ad hominem. "Misogyny has nothing to do with female characteristics, and anyone who disagrees with me is toxic and wrong." That's just ad hominem.

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If misogyny is rational, based on the special flaws of women, then misandry based on the special flaws of men is also rational.

It seems more rational still to simply accept that males and females are, for the most part, flawed beasts.

A day may come when humans will no longer be tribal, aggressive and biased - but it is not this day! A time when reason, understanding and peace rule our lives - but it is not this day! [apologies to Tolkein]
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Sy Borg wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:34 pm If misogyny is rational, based on the special flaws of women, then misandry based on the special flaws of men is also rational.
Misogyny and misandry are forms of dislike; flaws are disagreeable; therefore special male or female flaws can rationally justify such forms of dislike (and therefore explain them).

If men are especially violent and disagreeable then that would count as a reason for misandry--a reason to dislike men.
Sy Borg wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:34 pmIt seems more rational still to simply accept that males and females are, for the most part, flawed beasts.
The claim that misogyny or misandry are never justified goes hand in hand with the idea that there exists no flaw which applies more to men than women or to women than men. I see no reason to accept this. Some flaws really are more common in men or women.

(I realize that this isn't an argument you have presented)

Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Leontiskos wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:46 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:34 pmIt seems more rational still to simply accept that males and females are, for the most part, flawed beasts.
The claim that misogyny or misandry are never justified goes hand in hand with the idea that there exists no flaw which applies more to men than women or to women than men. I see no reason to accept this. Some flaws really are more common in men or women.

Some flaws are probably more common in a particular gender or the other, but the difference between genders is far less than the difference between them. It seems you are putting a case for personal taste - that some men might especially dislike certain qualities of women. For example, the relative physical weakness of women (and androgynous men) is certainly something that some men despise.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Sy Borg wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:34 pm
Leontiskos wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Some flaws are probably more common in a particular gender or the other, but the difference between genders is far less than the difference between them. It seems you are putting a case for personal taste - that some men might especially dislike certain qualities of women. For example, the relative physical weakness of women (and androgynous men) is certainly something that some men despise.
Never met a man that disliked women because of them being physically not as strong. I have met many men that did not want to have a woman on a team or as an activity partner that was not strong enough physically to protect him as an equal and would have the same about a smaller man. In this subtopic, it's just business usually. Who can do what.

For example, a man can carry the woman or another man if needed to safety. In many cases, the woman or small man will not be able to pick up and efficiently carry the man. In this case, he will die, so does not want that situation.

In a romantic context, never ever heard of a man complain that the woman was not strong enough physically.
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

Misogyny is a problem for society because it manifests in action that harms women, actions that deny their right to their own body, their autonomy, tolerates violence to their body, mind, and spirit even in a societies that guarantee human rights.
Misandry has no such manifestation that is sytemic in a society. It is not a problem.
This is not about liking or disliking men or women.
It is about violence towards women that has been systematized.
No such thing about misandry. Misandry is no more than a concept, it does not exist as action.
"The Serpent did not lie."
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

AmericanKestrel wrote: August 15th, 2021, 12:46 pm Misogyny is a problem for society because it manifests in action that harms women, actions that deny their right to their own body, their autonomy, tolerates violence to their body, mind, and spirit even in a societies that guarantee human rights.
Misandry has no such manifestation that is sytemic in a society. It is not a problem.
No such thing about misandry. Misandry is no more than a concept, it does not exist as action.
I see no reason to believe that dislike towards women is problematic but dislike towards men isn't, nor do I see any reason to believe that problematic forms of misandry do not exist in the culture.

Here is an article from a liberal publication about one problematic manifestation of misandry: "The Problem With a Fight Against Toxic Masculinity."

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

It is often the case that in understanding a thing it is informative to look at the extreme expression of that thing.
That which motivates the extremities can be used to understand the institutional and quoditian expression of it.

Google the latest Guardian article on the Plymouth shooting. "Incel ideology: a new blurry form of extremism incubated online"
Likewise The Sunday Times. "Plymouth shooting: thousands of boys drawn to ‘incel’ sites urging them to kill women"

The Internet and Social Media are NOT the cause of this, but the facilitator of a natural tendancy.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:13 am Yeah, feeling that women are inferior in some ways is a different issue than misogyny.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:49 am Ah yes, quite right. In that case, I revise my view on this topic. Misogyny is not at all widespread, although the unreasonable treatment of women is. I would almost place misogyny in the same category as psychopathy.
I missed again; my aim is off. For this topic asks for the cause of misogyny. I think that lies fairly and squarely in the mind of the misogynist. To treat women as inferior beings is far too common over the millennia of our history, but it isn't hatred, I don't think. True hatred is an aberration, for which I can see no other cause or justification.
You can NOT (edit) separate misogyny from hatred, they are both natural tendancies; hatred being just an extreme expression.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on August 16th, 2021, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

AmericanKestrel wrote: August 15th, 2021, 12:46 pm Misogyny is a problem for society because it manifests in action that harms women, actions that deny their right to their own body, their autonomy, tolerates violence to their body, mind, and spirit even in a societies that guarantee human rights.
I offer an opposing viewpoint to your summary.

Misandry is a massive problem for society because it manifest in action that harms men, actions that deny their rights of birth to their own mind and soul, tolerates and encourages violence to their mind and spirit even in societies that claim to champion and protect human rights. For some reason the rights of a man are less than a woman.

Misogyny has no such manifestation that is systematic in society. In comparison a much smaller issue.
This is not about liking or disliking women or men.
It is about mental and emotional violence towards men that that has been systematized.
No such thing about Misogyny. Misogyny is no more than a tool and word used by some to gather support for competition as they can not win without manipulation.

One of the most ground breaking and enlightened works about this is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manipulated_Man
This book explains in detail the situation. Difficult to read because it presents a viewpoint that has been suppressed for most ppl. This was written by a woman as only a woman would know the detail that is included about women.

I agree with you that these things; hate of the other type is something that should be improved. It will take open minds to solve these very ancient issues. The issues predictably trigger action/response that makes the issues worse.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: August 15th, 2021, 3:18 pm You can separate misogyny from hatred, they are both natural tendancies; hatred being just an extreme expression.

I'm fairly sure that misogyny is defined as hatred[/u] of women.

I have unsubscribed from this topic, as it has turned into a talking-shop for those who would minimise, or even justify, the actions of misogynists.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Apologies for the screwed-up highlighting:
Sculptor1 wrote: August 15th, 2021, 3:18 pm You can separate misogyny from hatred, they are both natural tendancies; hatred being just an extreme expression.

I'm fairly sure that misogyny is defined as hatred of women.

I have unsubscribed from this topic, as it has turned into a talking-shop for those who would minimise, or even justify, the actions of misogynists.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream