What is the root cause of misogyny?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: What is the root cause of misogyny?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:07 pm Pattern-c, I find that prejudice comes in bundles. So you will see hatred of women goes with hatred of gays, and these tend to go with racism.

The common link is a hatred of weakness and worship of strength. What do we hate most? That which lies within ourselves. So there are millions of insecure men out there - insecure in their strength as men, perhaps worried about being seen as Beta males or gay. Their problem is that they lack the strength or ability to muster the desired level of male display behaviour physically or vocationally. So they engage in exaggerated macho posturing in rhetoric. In some social animals, gangs of beta males can be pretty dangerous.

Ultimately, men who hate women hate the weakness they perceive within themselves, often their inability to attract mates.
Nicely put. 👍

Randomly, I found another psychology article yesterday, one that is more specific to this topic.
Vulnerable narcissists are withdrawn, neurotic and insecure. They tend to have low self-esteem, be hypersensitive and feel anxious and depressed. [They] are selfish, feel entitled to special treatment and privileges and relate to others in antagonistic ways.
You can find the full article here.

If I understand it correctly, it offers a possible answer to the question this topic asks: what is the root cause of misogyny? The answer is (perhaps) that misogyny is an outward expression of vulnerable narcissism. The root cause of misogyny is vulnerable narcissism.

What do you think?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2021, 8:45 am
Sy Borg wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:07 pm Pattern-c, I find that prejudice comes in bundles. So you will see hatred of women goes with hatred of gays, and these tend to go with racism.

The common link is a hatred of weakness and worship of strength. What do we hate most? That which lies within ourselves. So there are millions of insecure men out there - insecure in their strength as men, perhaps worried about being seen as Beta males or gay. Their problem is that they lack the strength or ability to muster the desired level of male display behaviour physically or vocationally. So they engage in exaggerated macho posturing in rhetoric. In some social animals, gangs of beta males can be pretty dangerous.

Ultimately, men who hate women hate the weakness they perceive within themselves, often their inability to attract mates.
Nicely put. 👍

Randomly, I found another psychology article yesterday, one that is more specific to this topic.
Vulnerable narcissists are withdrawn, neurotic and insecure. They tend to have low self-esteem, be hypersensitive and feel anxious and depressed. [They] are selfish, feel entitled to special treatment and privileges and relate to others in antagonistic ways.

If I understand it correctly, it offers a possible answer to the question this topic asks: what is the root cause of misogyny? The answer is (perhaps) that misogyny is an outward expression of vulnerable narcissism. The root cause of misogyny is vulnerable narcissism.

What do you think?
Sounds completely logical to me.
"As usual... it depends."
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

AmericanKestrel wrote: May 27th, 2021, 1:06 pmA few things I can think of that spurs this hatred:
Vagina/uterus envy.
They are property that can be stolen, elope, and thus a liability.
They can seduce one to lose his senses.
Men are naturally gay, and thus women are competition.
We hate that which we fear. What is the cause of fear?
What do you think?
The blind spot in threads such as these is the fact that women are often as misogynistic as men, and sometimes more so. Studies show that the majority of women prefer to work with men and prefer the company of men. Women are often extremely distrustful of other women, much more so than they are distrustful of men. Even the founder of Feminism, Simone de Beauvoir, has often been accused of unconscious misogyny, in part because she held that many of women's problems were their own fault.

The basic assumption that misogyny is an exclusively male characteristic turns out to be false. Since all of these proposed causes make that false assumption I am led to believe that they are relatively superficial.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Leontiskos wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:02 am
AmericanKestrel wrote: May 27th, 2021, 1:06 pmA few things I can think of that spurs this hatred:
Vagina/uterus envy.
They are property that can be stolen, elope, and thus a liability.
They can seduce one to lose his senses.
Men are naturally gay, and thus women are competition.
We hate that which we fear. What is the cause of fear?
What do you think?
The blind spot in threads such as these is the fact that women are often as misogynistic as men, and sometimes more so. Studies show that the majority of women prefer to work with men and prefer the company of men. Women are often extremely distrustful of other women, much more so than they are distrustful of men. Even the founder of Feminism, Simone de Beauvoir, has often been accused of unconscious misogyny, in part because she held that many of women's problems were their own fault.

The basic assumption that misogyny is an exclusively male characteristic turns out to be false. Since all of these proposed causes make that false assumption I am led to believe that they are relatively superficial.
This is true, but why...

What I have seen is there is a good-sized section of women that relate very well with men in that they charm them. The men clearly treat the women differently than they do other men. They treat the women better and softer. Women are more likely to get any request or accommodation from men than from most women due to the sexual tension thing... The real hate starts between women when one is able to get more male attention than the other or more attention from a specific male. This again is root rejection. Successful sales managers know this stuff inside out.

The women that hate other women, it is also a function of rejection. The other women reject the charm of a fellow woman where a man will react in predictable ways.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2021, 8:45 am

Nicely put. 👍

What do you think?
some cases can be like this, most are from rejection.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Leontiskos wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:02 am The blind spot in threads such as these is the fact that women are often as misogynistic as men, and sometimes more so. Studies show that the majority of women prefer to work with men and prefer the company of men. Women are often extremely distrustful of other women, much more so than they are distrustful of men. Even the founder of Feminism, Simone de Beauvoir, has often been accused of unconscious misogyny, in part because she held that many of women's problems were their own fault.

And yet there are far more male misogynists than there are female misogynists. What you have said doesn't take away from this. It does not excuse male misogyny to say that some women exhibit misogyny too.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

mystery wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:16 amThis is true, but why...

What I have seen is there is a good-sized section of women that relate very well with men in that they charm them. The men clearly treat the women differently than they do other men. They treat the women better and softer. Women are more likely to get any request or accommodation from men than from most women due to the sexual tension thing... The real hate starts between women when one is able to get more male attention than the other or more attention from a specific male. This again is root rejection. Successful sales managers know this stuff inside out.

The women that hate other women, it is also a function of rejection. The other women reject the charm of a fellow woman where a man will react in predictable ways.
True, but there is also a competitive aspect to inter-female antagonism that is present even before rejection occurs. That is, even the women who have never been rejected will act in the same ways, in part because they view other women as a threat to their male prospects.

----------
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:24 amAnd yet there are far more male misogynists than there are female misogynists. What you have said doesn't take away from this. It does not excuse male misogyny to say that some women exhibit misogyny too.
I don't have any reason to believe that there is far more male misogyny. I think that's just assumed because it is more visible. There is also a lot of misandry in our feminist society, so it is normal for us to be especially critical of males.

In my opinion a root-level reason for universal misogyny is the fact that women are much more conniving than men, and it has to do with physical strength and evolution. Men are much more likely to solve disputes by physical altercation and direct confrontation. Women have learned to manipulate the social sphere in indirect ways: they are much more prone to gossip, they are much more prone to lie, etc. This is how they have learned to compensate for their relative physical weakness. The result is that men are more honest and women more dishonest; men are more blunt or straightforward and women are more indirect and devious; men are more focused on things and doing and the physical realm, and women are more focused on people and talking and the social realm.

De Beauvoir is excellent on this topic, by the way. Her solution is that women need to stop abusing their freedom and living in inauthenticity, and society needs to take positive steps to compensate for the historical and physical imbalances between men and women.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Leontiskos wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:47 am ...the fact that women are much more conniving than men...
That is a statement that I think you need to justify, if you expect it to be accepted. It looks a lot like misogyny, albeit a pretty mild version of it?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
mystery

Post by mystery »

Leontiskos wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:47 am
mystery wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:16 amThis is true, but why...

True, but there is also a competitive aspect to inter-female antagonism that is present even before rejection occurs. That is, even the women who have never been rejected will act in the same ways, in part because they view other women as a threat to their male prospects.

----------
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:24 amAnd yet there are far more male misogynists than there are female misogynists. What you have said doesn't take away from this. It does not excuse male misogyny to say that some women exhibit misogyny too.
I don't have any reason to believe that there is far more male misogyny. I think that's just assumed because it is more visible. There is also a lot of misandry in our feminist society, so it is normal for us to be especially critical of males.

In my opinion a root-level reason for universal misogyny is the fact that women are much more conniving than men, and it has to do with physical strength and evolution. Men are much more likely to solve disputes by physical altercation and direct confrontation. Women have learned to manipulate the social sphere in indirect ways: they are much more prone to gossip, they are much more prone to lie, etc. This is how they have learned to compensate for their relative physical weakness. The result is that men are more honest and women more dishonest; men are more blunt or straightforward and women are more indirect and devious; men are more focused on things and doing and the physical realm, and women are more focused on people and talking and the social realm.

De Beauvoir is excellent on this topic, by the way. Her solution is that women need to stop abusing their freedom and living in inauthenticity, and society needs to take positive steps to compensate for the historical and physical imbalances between men and women.
nice and well-articulated.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:09 pm
Leontiskos wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:47 am ...the fact that women are much more conniving than men...
That is a statement that I think you need to justify, if you expect it to be accepted. It looks a lot like misogyny, albeit a pretty mild version of it?
how does suggesting that women are stronger in this skill equate to hate? I think dogs are more loyal than cats, but that doesn't mean I hate cats.

It is a fallacy to equate misogyny and admiration of a skill.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:09 pm That is a statement that I think you need to justify, if you expect it to be accepted. It looks a lot like misogyny, albeit a pretty mild version of it?
mystery wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:29 pm how does suggesting that women are stronger in this skill equate to hate?

"Conniving" isn't a skill, and it is in no way admirable.
Cambridge English Dictionary wrote:Conniving - adjective - A conniving person deceives others for their own advantage
Synonyms for "conniving" include "sly", "deceitful", "devious" and "underhand".

It is not privileged information that "conniving" is an insult in English. Most English-speakers know this; those that don't can easily consult a dictionary. Why would you try to twist this insult into a 'compliment' to the 'skill' of women? And why do you leap so readily to the defence of someone who insults women?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:17 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:09 pm That is a statement that I think you need to justify, if you expect it to be accepted. It looks a lot like misogyny, albeit a pretty mild version of it?
mystery wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:29 pm how does suggesting that women are stronger in this skill equate to hate?

Cambridge English Dictionary wrote:Conniving - adjective - A conniving person deceives others for their own advantage

It is not privileged information that "conniving" is an insult in English. Most English-speakers know this; those that don't can easily consult a dictionary. Why would you try to twist this insult into a 'compliment' to the 'skill' of women? And why do you leap so readily to the defence of someone who insults women?
The definition of conniving relates to the ability to conspire with others to do something illegal or immoral. It often includes deceit of some kind, but not definitively.

Coinniving is definitely a skill,since it requires a skill set of capabilities that can as easily be described with a positive less perjorative word such collaborating, synergetic, correlative, reciprocal. I am pretty sure that King Charles would have called Cromwell conniving, until his head came off, whilst the majority of Parliementarains were collobrating to overthrow a tyrrant.

One man's conniving bastard is another man's resistance fighter.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Able opponent; well not liking a skill is not the reason to invalidate it. That is an emotional response that has no logic. Now I do agree that it is a skill that is not desirable in others but it is a skill all the same.

For topics like this that seem so sure, always try to step back and look objectively.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sculptor1 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:10 am

The definition of conniving relates to the ability to conspire with others to do something illegal or immoral. It often includes deceit of some kind, but not definitively.

Coinniving is definitely a skill,since it requires a skill set of capabilities that can as easily be described with a positive less perjorative word such collaborating, synergetic, correlative, reciprocal. I am pretty sure that King Charles would have called Cromwell conniving, until his head came off, whilst the majority of Parliementarains were collobrating to overthrow a tyrrant.

Yes, well told. A nice example of a logical analysis.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:17 am "Conniving" isn't a skill, and it is in no way admirable.

Sculptor1 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:10 am The definition of conniving relates to the ability to conspire with others to do something illegal or immoral. It often includes deceit of some kind, but not definitively.

The way that paedophiles practice their 'art' 🤮 - evading detection while gaining access to their victims under the noses of those who would protect them, etc - could, in the same way, be described as a 'skill' 🤮. But few people would choose the words art or 'skill' to describe it. The strongly positive and approving connotations of these words does not mesh with the negativity of what is being described.

Skill or not, "conniving" is a wholly negative thing that is not considered in any way admirable. It is scorned and despised by most.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream