God as the true cogito

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: God as the true cogito

Post by Terrapin Station »

philosopher19 wrote: June 7th, 2021, 1:53 pm Mental or nonmetal world, meanings mean what they mean, and they mean what they mean because existence is the way it is. All meaningful things are meaningful as a result of existence being the way it is. Not as a result of us being the way we are. We recognise meaningful things as a result of existence being the way it is, and as a result of us having the ability to recognise meaningful things.
Oy, no. Ignoring the distinction I make between meanings and definitions for a moment, meanings/definitions simply tell you how particular individuals are thinking about/conceptualizing something. Meanings/definitions aren't determined by anything else, and they're not correct or incorrect.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Atla wrote: June 7th, 2021, 3:16 pm
philosopher19 wrote: June 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm The shape my four year old drew without a ruler, is imperfect as a triangle. Some would argue it's not even a triangle at all. Resembling a perfect triangle (an imperfect triangle) and being a true triangle (a perfect triangle) are two different truths.

A) Whatever's perfectly x, is indubitably x (an imperfect triangle's triangularity can either be rejected or doubted. A perfect triangle's cannot).

B) Whatever's perfectly existing, is indubitably existing (just as whatever's perfectly triangular, is indubitably triangular).

We know what it is for x to be perfectly triangular. What is it for x to be perfectly existing? To be, is to exist (to be an imaginary human, dream, or "real" human, is to exist as an imaginary human, dream, or "real" human. Denying this would be both logically and semantically inconsistent). Thus, to be imperfect, is to exist as an imperfect being/existent. An imperfect triangle exists imperfectly as a triangle, and as an existent (better triangles and existents than it can be conceived of).

Nothing is better than a perfect triangle when triangularity is the reference or standard. When goodness is the standard, nothing is better than God or a perfect existence (I do not want a pretend/imaginary god on my side because he cannot sustain a really perfect existence. Real good is better than pretend good, and pretend evil/harm is better than real evil. It takes evil/absurdity to favour real evil/harm over real good/benefit. Hence why only evil people go to Hell). When existing is the standard, nothing is better than the real God. It is better to be the real God than to exist as just an illusion/image of God (the real God is better than all humans or image/imaginary/pretend gods). We are meaningfully/semantically aware that something perfectly/indubitably exists, semantics dictate that this is God (of which there can only be one. You cannot have two omnipotent/perfect beings).

It is not us who truly/indubitably exist (contrary to the cogito). It is not us who instantiate existence (contrary to solipsism). We can meaningfully doubt ourselves and our realness, yet we cannot meaningfully doubt existence (the omnipresent) and its realness.. By this I mean the omnipresent is necessarily at least as real as us. Having contradictory (semantically-inconsistent) beliefs/theories is wrong by definition/semantics.

Just as we cannot reject three-sidedness as being a semantical component of triangle, we cannot reject existence and realness as being semantical components of God. It is contradictory/irrational to have contradictory (semantically-inconsistent) beliefs.

For more on the above: http://philosophyneedsgods.com/2021/05/ ... ue-cogito/
There are no known perfect triangles, just concepts of perfect triangles.

The world is "omnipresent", but why would that make it God?
The OP shows that if you reject existence (or that which is omnipresent) as being perfect (infinite, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent towards good, omnimalevolent towards evil), then you hold a contradictory (semantically inconsistent) belief.

Any given theory, belief, or statement that is contradictory, is 100% wrong/false. This holds true everywhere. For example, in science, if a theory is shown to be contradictory, then it is either abandoned, or it is reformulated such that it is no longer contradictory (semantically inconsistent). This is why God (the Lord of the worlds if we are to reference scripture, or the truly omnipresent, or the truly perfect being) is the reality that sustains all realities (if we are to view reality as coming in various degrees). There is not more real or complete in existing/existence, than God.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 7th, 2021, 4:34 pm
philosopher19 wrote: June 7th, 2021, 1:53 pm Mental or nonmetal world, meanings mean what they mean, and they mean what they mean because existence is the way it is. All meaningful things are meaningful as a result of existence being the way it is. Not as a result of us being the way we are. We recognise meaningful things as a result of existence being the way it is, and as a result of us having the ability to recognise meaningful things.
Oy, no. Ignoring the distinction I make between meanings and definitions for a moment, meanings/definitions simply tell you how particular individuals are thinking about/conceptualizing something. Meanings/definitions aren't determined by anything else, and they're not correct or incorrect.
To me, the semantic of triangle and true perfection is the same for everyone who is aware of those semantics. It may be that you may have to shift their attention to those semantics, but once they shift their focus onto those semantics, they recognise that only triangles are three-sided shapes with interior angles totalling 180 degrees, and they recognise that only God is a perfect being.

I don't think any further conversation between us will bear any fruit. If you think the perfect being is something other than God, or if you are not aware that the perfect being is God, then you will not understand the OP. Further discussion would be like trying to discuss the angles in a triangle with someone who does not recognise triangles as being triangles.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

philosopher19 wrote:1) That which has three-sides with its interior angles totalling 180 degrees = that which is perfectly triangular = a perfect triangle.

If you ask me how I've defined the above, then the only thing I can say is that these are just the semantics that I am aware of such that rejecting the above leads contradictions in semantics. Either you aware of them too, or you are not. If you are aware of them, then we can discuss them. Similarly:

2) That which is infinite, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibeneovlent towards good, and omnimalevolent towards evil = that which is perfectly existing = a perfect being
As in previous topics, you conflate two entirely different concepts by using a fallacy of equivocation. The fallacy centres on the word "perfect". You conflate the abstractions of mathematics and geometry with the unrelated subject of ethics.

It's a bit like claiming that irrational numbers are numbers that are incapable of creating a coherent argument.
Terrapin Station

philosopher19 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:25 am
To me, the semantic of triangle and true perfection is the same for everyone who is aware of those semantics. It may be that you may have to shift their attention to those semantics, but once they shift their focus onto those semantics, they recognise that only triangles are three-sided shapes with interior angles totalling 180 degrees, and they recognise that only God is a perfect being.

I don't think any further conversation between us will bear any fruit. If you think the perfect being is something other than God, or if you are not aware that the perfect being is God, then you will not understand the OP. Further discussion would be like trying to discuss the angles in a triangle with someone who does not recognise triangles as being triangles.
Semantics refers to meaning. The semantic of anything isn't the same for everyone. Again, semantics tells you how a particular individual thinks about or conceptualizes something. That's all it is. That can easily differ from individual to individual, though obviously there are commonalities (re definitions, at least) that are influenced to be common via socialization.
Atla

Post by Atla »

philosopher19 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:17 am The OP shows that if you reject existence (or that which is omnipresent) as being perfect (infinite, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent towards good, omnimalevolent towards evil), then you hold a contradictory (semantically inconsistent) belief.

Any given theory, belief, or statement that is contradictory, is 100% wrong/false. This holds true everywhere. For example, in science, if a theory is shown to be contradictory, then it is either abandoned, or it is reformulated such that it is no longer contradictory (semantically inconsistent). This is why God (the Lord of the worlds if we are to reference scripture, or the truly omnipresent, or the truly perfect being) is the reality that sustains all realities (if we are to view reality as coming in various degrees). There is not more real or complete in existing/existence, than God.
I must have missed it.
Nothing is more triangular than a perfect triangle: okay, but there are no known perfect triangles.
Nothing is better than God / perfect existence: okay, but there is no such known God.

The existence we do know is very imperfect.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Terrapin Station

philosopher19 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:17 am Any given theory, belief, or statement that is contradictory, is 100% wrong/false. This holds true everywhere.
See paraconsistent logic for a counterexample:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logi ... onsistent/
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 8th, 2021, 7:15 am
philosopher19 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:25 am

Semantics refers to meaning. The semantic of anything isn't the same for everyone. Again, semantics tells you how a particular individual thinks about or conceptualizes something. That's all it is. That can easily differ from individual to individual, though obviously there are commonalities (re definitions, at least) that are influenced to be common via socialization.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Steve3007 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 6:34 am
philosopher19 wrote:1) That which has three-sides with its interior angles totalling 180 degrees = that which is perfectly triangular = a perfect triangle.

If you ask me how I've defined the above, then the only thing I can say is that these are just the semantics that I am aware of such that rejecting the above leads contradictions in semantics. Either you aware of them too, or you are not. If you are aware of them, then we can discuss them. Similarly:

2) That which is infinite, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibeneovlent towards good, and omnimalevolent towards evil = that which is perfectly existing = a perfect being
As in previous topics, you conflate two entirely different concepts by using a fallacy of equivocation. The fallacy centres on the word "perfect". You conflate the abstractions of mathematics and geometry with the unrelated subject of ethics.

It's a bit like claiming that irrational numbers are numbers that are incapable of creating a coherent argument.
I don't think I'm doing what you are saying. I am treating meanings as being the meanings that they are and am avoiding a contradictory belief. That contradictory belief being: God does not truly exist.

In any case, we've had discussions before on other subjects. I am confident that any further discussion between me and you on the OP will not bear any fruit.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Atla wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:59 am The existence we do know is very imperfect.
The existence that you see, does seem imperfect (take cancer, poverty, and MS for example). But if you could see that all those things were being inflicted upon those who truly deserved it, your view would change. The fact of the matter is, neither you nor I can truly verify empirically if those who suffer such things deserve them or not. But, pure reason dictates that they do. You interpret your empirical observations in line with pure reason so as to avoid forming contradictory theories or interpretations of what you have observed. For example:

You will never be able to empirically verify that round squares are impossible. But pure reason dictates that they are. So you know that if some individual claimed that they had just seen a round square, you know that they have either chose the wrong word to describe what they saw (something that shifted between a circle and a square back and forth), or that they are lying. Similarly, if someone says to you evil was better off by being evil, you know that they are either unaware of the perfection of existence, or that they were evil/absurd/irrational.
Nothing is more triangular than a perfect triangle: okay, but there are no known perfect triangles.
Nothing is better than God / perfect existence: okay, but there is no such known God.
There doesn't have to be any empirically witnessed perfect triangles. But triangles have to be three-sided. Rejecting the three-sidedness of triangles is contradictory.

Just as it's in the definition of triangle that it has three sides, it's in the definition of God that He exists. I think the OP is clear enough in showing that rejecting God as indubitably existing is contradictory (like rejecting the three-sidedness of triangles).
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 8th, 2021, 10:29 am
philosopher19 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:17 am Any given theory, belief, or statement that is contradictory, is 100% wrong/false. This holds true everywhere.
See paraconsistent logic for a counterexample:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logi ... onsistent/
There can be no meaningful (non-contradictory) counter example to the following:

Any given theory belief that is semantically inconsistent/contradictory, is 100% wrong.

How is one supposed to counter the above when that counter is supposed to counter the very notion of meaningfulness and being non-contradictory in presenting an counter argument? What meaningful authority can it bring when it rejects meaningfulness? None.
Atla

Post by Atla »

philosopher19 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:53 pm
Atla wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:59 am The existence we do know is very imperfect.
The existence that you see, does seem imperfect (take cancer, poverty, and MS for example). But if you could see that all those things were being inflicted upon those who truly deserved it, your view would change. The fact of the matter is, neither you nor I can truly verify empirically if those who suffer such things deserve them or not. But, pure reason dictates that they do. You interpret your empirical observations in line with pure reason so as to avoid forming contradictory theories or interpretations of what you have observed. For example:

You will never be able to empirically verify that round squares are impossible. But pure reason dictates that they are. So you know that if some individual claimed that they had just seen a round square, you know that they have either chose the wrong word to describe what they saw (something that shifted between a circle and a square back and forth), or that they are lying. Similarly, if someone says to you evil was better off by being evil, you know that they are either unaware of the perfection of existence, or that they were evil/absurd/irrational.
There doesn't have to be any empirically witnessed perfect triangles. But triangles have to be three-sided. Rejecting the three-sidedness of triangles is contradictory.

Just as it's in the definition of triangle that it has three sides, it's in the definition of God that He exists. I think the OP is clear enough in showing that rejecting God as indubitably existing is contradictory (like rejecting the three-sidedness of triangles).
So we define God as necessarily existing, therefore God exists? Why are you wasting your time on such tricks?
True philosophy points to the Moon
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

After speed-reading through the posts I now have a new respect for triangles!
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

philosopher19 wrote:...That contradictory belief being: God does not truly exist.

In any case, we've had discussions before on other subjects.
Yes, in the previous discussion your fallacy of equivocation centred mainly around the word "existence" and your use of it both as a proper noun (essentially as a synonym for God) and as a verb denoting the state of being of objects. That is what allows you to say things like "It is self-contradictory to believe that God doesn't exist", because you define that proposition as "Existence doesn't exist" and use the equivocation between those two different usages of that word to make your point. As I said, this time it centres more around the word "perfect" but the fallacy is essentially the same.
I am confident that any further discussion between me and you on the OP will not bear any fruit.
I agree. Nice talking again. (Briefly!)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tegularius wrote:After speed-reading through the posts I now have a new respect for triangles!
Yes! Triangles are perfect. God is perfect. Therefore triangles are God. A new take on the Holy Trinity. (Presumably the choice of triangles, as opposed to some other polygon, is no accident.)

If one is willing to indulge in fallacies of equivocation one can claim, essentially, anything. Although obviously this equivocation between the notion of mathematical perfection and the notion of an objectively existing absolute Good has deep, old philosophical roots!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream