God as the true cogito

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
philosopher19

Re: God as the true cogito

Post by philosopher19 »

Belindi wrote: June 25th, 2021, 3:44 am Philosopher wrote:
The Perfect being (God) = that which is Infinite, Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent towards good, and Omnimalevolent towards evil. This understanding of God can never be meaningfully different because any other understanding of God (the perfect being) that contradicts this, is contradictory. It betrays/contradicts the semantic of God (just as not being three-sided betrays/contradicts the semantic of triangle).
(Belinda had written:
God includes all perfections and all imperfections.
Philosopher wrote:
God does not include any imperfection. If there was a single instance of injustice in Existence, then you could say that God includes imperfection. Since Existence is such that everyone gets what they truly deserve (as dictated by pure reason), there is no imperfection in Existence.

Perfection omits nothing that exists. Injustice in this world exists.
For there to be injustice in this world, there'd have to be an instance of someone getting what they don't truly deserve. This is something that neither I nor you can empirically verify because we don't have all the relevant premises/facts/truths needed to verify such a thing. We are not omniscient.

I agree that the appearance of things in our world is such that to some, there is injustice in our world. We have diseases, poverty, crimes, and so on. I understand how strongly it can look that a child stricken with cancer is on the receiving end of what he does not deserve. But, I also recognise that I cannot assert "yeah, there's definitely injustice in our world because that child definitely did not deserve to get cancer". I don't have the authority because I don't have all the premises/truths in relation to the child. Having said that, given that pure reason dictates that existence is perfect, it follows from this that there is no injustice in existence.

So whilst we can't empirically or a posteriori verify if there is injustice in our world or not (and by injustice I mean someone getting what they don't truly deserve), we can a priori verify that there isn't (in the same way that we can a priori verify that the angles in a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees).
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

You do not need all the relevant facts to get empirical evidence.
There is no such event as an uncaused event. Therefore whatever somebody does is caused by preceding, or circumstantial events including laws of nature.Presumably God knows all about why a person does what they do. Unlike God, we do not know everything. However we can reasonably surmise that the more a judgement is knowledgeable the more just is that judgement. In other words the judge who takes the most account of extenuating circumstances , all else being equal, is the most just judge.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Belindi wrote: June 25th, 2021, 10:49 am You do not need all the relevant facts to get empirical evidence.
There is no such event as an uncaused event. Therefore whatever somebody does is caused by preceding, or circumstantial events including laws of nature.Presumably God knows all about why a person does what they do. Unlike God, we do not know everything. However we can reasonably surmise that the more a judgement is knowledgeable the more just is that judgement. In other words the judge who takes the most account of extenuating circumstances , all else being equal, is the most just judge.
I was saying that pure reason dictates that there is no injustice in existence. As in there is no instance wherein which evil is rewarded (all things considered), or good is punished (all things considered). I do not deny that to the imperfect vision of some non-omniscient beings, it can look as though sometimes evil is rewarded, and sometimes good is punished. But this is never the case. Pure reason dictates it. It would be unreasonable/contradictory/evil (insincere to God) of us to deny pure reason or judge against it. Such attitudes will deprive us of fulfilment, joy, happiness, and so on. They will also put us at risk of melancholia, depression, anxiety, meaninglessness, boredom, and so on.

I don't deny that some imperfect judges judge better than others (just as I don't deny that some humans are better than others because some are sincerer to God/Truth/Goodness than others. Some are childish/immature in their sincerity to Good/God/Truth, but they are not adulterously evil (or mature/potent in evil or insincerity to Truth/Good/God). The latter (mature evil) I think is unforgivable, the former (naive/childish evil) I think is forgivable). But it is God who wills/determines who ends up being exposed to which imperfect judge, and which imperfect judge is exposed to which potential criminals and victims. And it is God who determines who will go to jail and who will not go to jail. If God willed, the judge would pass out before he could pass judgement. If God willed, the criminal would have been exposed to a different judge (judge x would have put the criminal in jail for 3 years, whereas judge y would have only put him in jail for 1 year). God handles all affairs. A look at the double slit experiment (or better yet, the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment), might give some illustrative idea of how we cannot outmanoeuvre God in any way.

If x gets cancer or raped or oppressed, it was the will of God. If we had all the premises with regards to the one who God raped, oppressed, or cancer, we would thank God for what had happened (if we value Goodness and Justice that is. As in if we were watching a movie, we would want x to have gotten cancer, raped, or oppressed. And this is not because we are forcing ourselves to adapt a view that we are uncomfortable with. It is because we genuinely consider it as being good and we would passionately want this such that it would make us uncomfortable and sad to see other than this....again, this is if we had all the premises in relation to x). It is God's wrath upon us that we cannot see His Grace and Glory and Mercy with greater clarity. Had we been sincerer to God/Truth/Goodness, we would not have been deprived like this.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

philosopher19 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 10:57 am
Belindi wrote: June 25th, 2021, 10:49 am You do not need all the relevant facts to get empirical evidence.
I was saying that pure reason dictates that there is no injustice in existence. As in there is no instance wherein which evil is rewarded (all things considered), or good is punished (all things considered). I do not deny that to the imperfect vision of some non-omniscient beings, it can look as though sometimes evil is rewarded, and sometimes good is punished. But this is never the case. Pure reason dictates it. It would be unreasonable/contradictory/evil (insincere to God) of us to deny pure reason or judge against it. Such attitudes will deprive us of fulfilment, joy, happiness, and so on. They will also put us at risk of melancholia, depression, anxiety, meaninglessness, boredom, and so on.

I don't deny that some imperfect judges judge better than others (just as I don't deny that some humans are better than others because some are sincerer to God/Truth/Goodness than others. Some are childish/immature in their sincerity to Good/God/Truth, but they are not adulterously evil (or mature/potent in evil or insincerity to Truth/Good/God). The latter (mature evil) I think is unforgivable, the former (naive/childish evil) I think is forgivable). But it is God who wills/determines who ends up being exposed to which imperfect judge, and which imperfect judge is exposed to which potential criminals and victims. And it is God who determines who will go to jail and who will not go to jail. If God willed, the judge would pass out before he could pass judgement. If God willed, the criminal would have been exposed to a different judge (judge x would have put the criminal in jail for 3 years, whereas judge y would have only put him in jail for 1 year). God handles all affairs. A look at the double slit experiment (or better yet, the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment), might give some illustrative idea of how we cannot outmanoeuvre God in any way.

If x gets cancer or raped or oppressed, it was the will of God. If we had all the premises with regards to the one who God raped, oppressed, or cancer, we would thank God for what had happened (if we value Goodness and Justice that is. As in if we were watching a movie, we would want x to have gotten cancer, raped, or oppressed. And this is not because we are forcing ourselves to adapt a view that we are uncomfortable with. It is because we genuinely consider it as being good and we would passionately want this such that it would make us uncomfortable and sad to see other than this....again, this is if we had all the premises in relation to x). It is God's wrath upon us that we cannot see His Grace and Glory and Mercy with greater clarity. Had we been sincerer to God/Truth/Goodness, we would not have been deprived like this.
"I was saying that pure reason dictates that there is no injustice in existence. " said Philosopher.

But pure reason dictates nothing of the sort! Pure reason does not transcend man's ability to reason.Justice on the other hand is a transcendent virtue which transcends human ability to pin it down to any system of human knowledge. Justice is shape shifter with no essence except the human longing for and aspiration towards it.

No man can know God, or pure justice, or pure beauty, or anything else that is absolute. It may be rather nice if we could, but we can't.
God cannot be wrathful as wrath applies to human feelings, or the feelings of other conscious animals. To apply wrathful feelings to God is to regard God as a sort of person who has an ego.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Belindi wrote: June 28th, 2021, 5:16 am But pure reason dictates nothing of the sort!
If Existence/Being/God is Perfect (as highlighted in the OP), then it follows from this that this is exactly what pure reason dictates. If it was the case that x got harmed (whether by another human, animal, machinery, or simply by falling down the stairs), yet he did not deserve to be harmed, then the truth is such that x got what he did not deserve. The logical implication of this is that the Almighty is not wholly just. Existence being imperfect, or God not being wholly just, is contradictory (semantically inconsistent). Given that reason dictates that it is irrational/unreasonable to have contradictory beliefs, if you see a child suffering from cancer, you are rationally obliged to acknowledge that this is what the child deserves (either because it will make him genuinely better (and the truth about him is such that he genuinely wants to be better), and being genuinely better is better for him, and there is no other less painful way for him to attain this betterness; or because it's just what he deserves irrespective of whether it will make him better or worse (like a moral debt that one has to pay for what they have done, or like the pain one has to endure to earn their wage, or to earn higher wages).

Of course, this is not to say that you should not help or support the needy. In those AA meetings, everyone is/was a sinner, yet they all support/sponsor each other and cheer each other on towards being better (more responsible, honourable, and rational) individuals. If you want God to be generous towards you, then show appreciation for generosity by being generous to others. If you want God to mislead you, then go and try to mislead others. If you want that which truly benefits you from God, then be sincerely reasonable/good. If you want that which truly harms you from God, then be sincerely unreasonable/evil (insincere to reason/good/Truth/God). Of course I am not directing this at you. By "you" I mean everyone.
Pure reason does not transcend man's ability to reason
I don't see why you are saying this. Triangles have three sides (as dictated by pure reason). God/Being is Perfect (as dictated by pure reason). Everyone always gets what they truly deserve (as dictated by pure reason).
Justice on the other hand is a transcendent virtue which transcends human ability to pin it down to any system of human knowledge. Justice is shape shifter with no essence except the human longing for and aspiration towards it.
Justice = everyone getting what they truly deserve. This is something that I am meaningfully/semantically aware of. I do not see justice (or Justice) as a shape shifter. I see Justice as everyone getting what they truly/perfectly deserve.
No man can know God, or pure justice, or pure beauty, or anything else that is absolute
No man can be Omniscient, therefore, no man can fully know God. This is not the same as not knowing God at all. Just because a child does not know that the angles in a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees, does not mean that the child does not know what a perfect triangle is. None can ever meaningfully understand triangles as being anything other than three-sided shapes. None can ever meaningfully understand God/Existence/Being as being imperfect. No non-God being can ever meaningfully understand itself as Being/God.

It is not us who indubitably exist, it is not us who are indubitably just, it is not us who are indubitably good, it is God.

Though I'm not here to discuss religion, I really like the following verse:

“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone. (Mark 10:18)
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I like it too! “Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone. (Mark 10:18)

The very existence of Christ is due to mens' need for someone to interpret God so men can approach Him. I'd not compare JC who suffered and died with any triangle 'perfect' or not.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Belindi wrote: June 29th, 2021, 5:44 am I like it too! “Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone. (Mark 10:18)

The very existence of Christ is due to mens' need for someone to interpret God so men can approach Him. I'd not compare JC who suffered and died with any triangle 'perfect' or not.
This is a long post (which is perhaps off-topic with respect to the OP).

Regarding the 'perfect' triangle:

Then God Said, “Let Us Make adam/man in Our image, after Our likeness. (Genesis 1:26)

So God Created man/adam in His image, in the image of God He Created him; male and female He created them. (Genesis 1:27)

Image = בְּצֶ֥לֶם - Preposition-b | Noun - masculine singular construct | first person common plural Strong's Hebrew 6754: A phantom, illusion, resemblance, a representative figure, an idol

Likeness = כִּדְמוּתֵ֑נוּ - Preposition-k | Noun - feminine singular construct | first person common plural Strong's Hebrew 1823: Resemblance, model, shape, like

An imperfect triangle is considered a triangle purely because it resembles a true/perfect triangle. The greater the resemblance, the greater the triangle (or the greater the triangularity of the shape in question). Only perfect triangles are truly/indubitably triangular. And only God is truly good.

Note that the semantic "resemblance" is common to both "image" and "likeness" in Genesis 1:26-27. Also note that with regards to image, it's "in our image", and with regards to likeness, it's "after our likeness". Also note that Genesis 1:27 first states "in the image of God He Created him" before saying "male and female He Created them".

I have my own interpretation for why this is the case (and what the role of masculine and feminine is). The relevant thing here is that God is that which is truly good, and only God is like this. The more something resembles the Good (and to my interpretation of some of the verses from the Bible, JC is the one with the strongest resemblance), the nearer or closer to God they are. If I get punished for the sins of another, then God is imperfect (not truly good). Also, Forgiveness is only applicable to the one who is genuinely sorry/repentant. If one reconciles the inconsistency/contradictions/evils in their belief system, then in my opinion they have taken steps towards salvation (or evolution towards existing better or being heaven worthy).

I've read the Quran around ten times, and I've read some of the Bible. The thing I have noticed with scripture is that it seems to be more accessible and understandable to you once your sincerity to God increases. When bias and prejudice are removed, and sincerity to God/Truth/Goodness is more comprehensively in place, the value of scripture becomes more clear.

You see sci-fi movies wherein which humans find some alien artefact that's supposed to give them clues about the wonders of the universe. Scripture is better than such things because it not only gives clues with regards to the Awesomeness/Goodness of Existence, but it also guides (and it is a product of divine inspiration. So it is tied to Truth/God better than some alien artifact that is not the product of pure/divine/untainted inspiration). It provides the shortcuts to existing well or evolving in sincerity to God/Good/Truth, to the point of being heaven worthy. It's not survival of the fittest (though I am not in opposition to evolution), it's the well-being of the Good. The greater one's resemblance to the Good, the better they are, and the better they are, the better off they are.

It's not just that Karma is real. It's that Karma takes into account what your soul reveals and hides. It's Full and Extensive. It's brutal if you are evil, and glorious if you are good. Of course, Karma is God's Benevolence towards Good, and Malevolences towards that which is in opposition to Good (evil). The more one resembles the former, the better of they are, and the more one resembles the letter, the worse off they are. The appearance of things (empirical observations) are to be interpreted in line with pure reason.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Philosopher19 wrote:
I've read the Quran around ten times, and I've read some of the Bible. The thing I have noticed with scripture is that it seems to be more accessible and understandable to you once your sincerity to God increases. When bias and prejudice are removed, and sincerity to God/Truth/Goodness is more comprehensively in place, the value of scripture becomes more clear.
When you search for truth, goodness, and beauty you often find them though the search itself may be quite heart-breakingly difficult. Very often when people read sacred texts they are in fact biased towards believing that God wrote or dictated them. I hope you don't read Fox News in the belief God wrote it! Actually it would be more reasonable not to presume God wrote anything at all.

The strength of Christians is not due to sincerity to any text but to recognising this man Jesus pretty-well proved by his behaviour during his life and his dying that his beliefs are true.There is no other character in the Bible as impressive as Jesus of Nazareth.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

philosopher19 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 5:41 am But two things are clear to me:

1) Meanings/semantics should be treated as the meanings that they are.
2) Any given belief, statement, or theory that is contradictory, is certainly wrong.

I think if x is meaningful, then that is because the nature of existence is such that it renders x meaningful. If y is contradictory, then that is because the nature of existence is such that it renders y contradictory.

In any of the above, would you describe me as creating semantics? Or would you describe me as drawing your attention to semantics that have always existed and will always exist (as long as existence exists)? Did the semantic of triangle ever mean anything other than triangle? Did the semantic of hybrid between a lion and a unicorn ever mean anything other than hybrid between a lion and a unicorn? We can switch what word we attach to which semantic. We can also shift our focus from one semantic, to another. We can also come to understand more about a given semantic (I did not always know that the angels in a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees). But we cannot create semantics. Nor did they mean something different in the past.
We cannot meaningfully/semantically alter the semantic of triangle to another semantic. We can meaningfully/rationally increase in our understanding of that semantic, and we can meaningfully change the word/label for it. It is certain that we cannot alter any semantic.

Triangle is a semantic. We are meaningfully aware of it, whilst insentient rocks are not aware of it. We are not the sustainers of semantics. Existence is the sustainer. All we do, is access semantics. We do not create, rather, we combine that which we have access to, to either form something that is rational (a non-absurd story, belief, theory, or statement), or irrational (the concept of round-square, or an irrational theory or statement or story). Existence (or the nature of existence/being) determines whether that which we have formed is rational or irrational. Not us. I know (not know in the absolute or a priori sense, but in the empirically assumed sense) that you know a round-square is absurd. Not because my nature or your nature makes it so, but rather because the nature of existence makes it so. If you call/label this formation creation, then ok. But to me, creation is a more absolute act than the formation described in this paragraph.

With all that has been said, do you acknowledge 1 and 2 from the beginning of this post?
Thanks for your reply philosopher19. Another long delay in responding on my part – it takes me time to sort through my ideas and put them into semi-coherent words.

I’m afraid I’m still not understanding your argument. We seem to be talking past each other rather than making progress toward a mutual understanding and I don’t want to belabor the points unnecessarily, so I’ll share some thoughts and if that doesn’t help then I’ll leave it at that. Ultimately though we may be saying the same thing but just coming at it from different angles.

I guess the main sticking point for me is this idea of semantics being something that we cannot create or alter. I just don’t see it this way - as I see it, semantics aren’t separable from communication. Meanings aren't 'what they are' - meanings are that from our experience which we wish to share. We can’t communicate about the ‘nature of existence’ because we don’t know that – we only know the nature of our own experiences. And when we choose to communicate something about our experience, we’re not communicating our entire experience, but rather choosing what elements of that experience that we want the other to know, and for a specific purpose that we value. You've said that in communicating we ‘draw attention to’ a semantic, but I would say rather we use semantics to draw attention to things – facts, objects, ideas, relationships, events, etc. – within our experiences that we value and want to be understood. In other words, semantics are determined not just by existence, by the act of valuing – the act of selecting out certain elements of that experience that we see as important or necessary for another individual to understand or become aware of. And a consequence of this is that semantics are entangled with the definitions we make and the ways we use our languages.

Maybe some examples might help illustrate. I think that one of the most elemental semantics is that of simply pointing at something – it’s a tool of communication that almost universally understood among humans. But it’s very general – it can encompass a lot of different objects or ideas depending on the circumstance. The words we’ve assigned to this semantic allow us to be more specific in communicating – so for example we have the words ‘this’ and ‘that’ which both approximate pointing but divide up our meaning into those things closer to the speaker and those things away from the speaker (in Spanish they’ve even created 3 semantics to capture this – one for objects near me, one for objects near you, and one for objects not near either of us). We do this by assigning definitions - to define is to set limits or boundaries, literally ‘to make finite’ – and definitions allow us to create categories of semantics which in turn allow us to be more specific in communication. So here, by assigning definitions to words, we have created the semantic that distinguishes between the objects that are near me from those that are farther. And while we don’t create the elemental components of semantics – we don’t create the objects or their properties that we’re referring to – we do create the semantics, i.e. the ways that we decide to distinguish one object from another in order to communicate that distinction to another person.

So the nature of a semantic will depend a lot on context – in the case of pointing on what objects are in that frame of reference (e.g. ‘this ball’ may be meaningful if there is a ball here in front of us, but meaningless if there is not). Similarly, a semantic like ‘triangle’ is a way we communicate to distinguish one shape from another – it’s a classification of shapes. If I have a square block and a triangular block in the next room, I can communicate to you which one I want you to get for me or to think about because we’ve created a semantic to distinguish 3-sided objects from 4-sided objects - we’ve defined shapes into these categories based on the number of sides. The primal, if you will, meaning of triangle doesn’t encompass any idea of a perfect triangle with perfectly straight sides or angles, but is simple a way to allow us to communicate this distinction between shapes. Additional definitions can be added to refine this – to create sub-categories in order to be able make further and more specific distinctions.

In your example above, your sfgsfgabc (or a round square or a married bachelor) is meaningless not because of the nature of existence, but simply because the two semantic categories we're using are mutually exclusive – the definitions themselves do not allow for for it because the criteria for the use of that name is specific and allows us to classify all 3- and 4-sided objects into one or the other semantic category – it’s an either/or, because the number of sides a sided-shape has is a discrete count. So if I asked you to get me the block that is both triangle and square, you would not understand what I’m asking for. But in a different type of example, if I had classified my blocks into red ones and blue ones, and I tell you to get one that is ‘both red and blue’, this could in fact be meaningful – e.g. it might be what we call ‘purple’, or ‘striped’– because categories of color are not mutually exclusive since they exist on a spectrum. In other words, semantic contradictions are intrinsic in the way the words/categories are defined, not in the nature of the objects themselves.

So you’ve said in your example that “head is both completely triangular and completely square at the same time” is meaningless because of the nature of existence, but I disagree – I see it as meaningless because of the particular nature of the semantic which we have chosen to classify the shape of the object only allows the object to be classified as one or the other and not both. And I certainly don’t agree that the phrase is ‘certainly meaningless to all’ – it may well in fact be meaningful to the speaker. Consider for example a person who had never seen a purple object, and so would not have this word in their vocabulary. So we might tell them that the object is ‘both completely blue and completely red at the same time’ and they would likely say that this is meaningless unless we could find a way to show them the object we’re talking about and resolve this for them.

Contradictions and inconsistencies in language are commonplace because of the imprecision in definitions, or because definitions are not shared or understood exactly the same way between speakers, not because people necessarily are holding semantically inconsistent beliefs or are being nonsensical or misrepresenting what is being communicated. When we see or hear something that we understand to be meaningless or contradictory, it’s more often a failure of our communication tools to accurately transmit meaning. The approach to contradictions shouldn’t be to dismiss them as meaningless or assume wrong belief, it should be to further communicate in order seek clarification and resolve the contradictions in order to create mutual understanding.

So in short, I don't agree with 1 or 2, for the reasons I've given here, and hope they're understandable. There’s more to say here obviously but this is getting long so I’ll stop here. If you’d like to continue getting into this more, just let me know. I think your more recent posts on this thread also have some interesting ideas for discussion and I may respond to those separately, though I realize they’re starting to get a little off topic.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Thomyum2 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:17 pmIn your example above, your sfgsfgabc (or a round square or a married bachelor) is meaningless not because of the nature of existence, but simply because the two semantic categories we're using are mutually exclusive
And what determines that "the two semantic categories we're using are mutually exclusive"? Can it be anything other than the nature of Existence? If yes, can you tell me what that is?
I guess the main sticking point for me is this idea of semantics being something that we cannot create or alter.
Right. So I don't see semantics as something we can create or alter. If I try to come up with one instance of where we created or altered a semantic, I find that I cannot. This is evident in the fact that no semantic has ever been a different semantic. The semantic of triangle has always meant triangle. What semantics the word "triangle" encompasses has perhaps been subject to change. For example, some only view perfect triangles as "triangles", whereas others view imperfect triangles as "triangles" too. In other words, some think the word "triangle" encompasses only the semantic of 'perfect triangle', whereas others think it encompasses the semantic of 'imperfect triangle' too.
We can’t communicate about the ‘nature of existence’ because we don’t know that – we only know the nature of our own experiences.

Then why is it contradictory for us to say "Existence is finite"? We know it's contradictory for us to say non-existence exists. We know it's contradictory for us to say round squares are possible. Yet nothing in our experiences suggest that such things are impossible. As in we have not empirically observed the impossibility of such things. It's simply a matter of pure reason. It's the nature of existence that no two different things can be the same thing. It's simply the nature of existence that non-existence cannot exist. Which means it's simply the nature of existence that existence is infinite.
it may well in fact be meaningful to the speaker. Consider for example a person who had never seen a purple object, and so would not have this word in their vocabulary. So we might tell them that the object is ‘both completely blue and completely red at the same time’ and they would likely say that this is meaningless unless we could find a way to show them the object we’re talking about and resolve this for them.
Someone who has never seen the colour purple will not understand purple. It will be an unknown to them. It will not be an absurdity to them. A round-square will be an absurdity to them (so long as they understand what round and square mean). Blue and red are separate colours. Nothing can be blue and red at the same time. Something can be purple, and purple is a mixture of blue and red. This is not the same as purple being blue and red.
Contradictions and inconsistencies in language are commonplace because of the imprecision in definitions
We're both clear on the semantic of 'triangle' and 'round'. This is precise. Yet we both know that 'round-triangle' is a contradiction. This is not because of any imprecision in definition. Rather, it is because of precision in definition. It is because we are clear on what 'round' and 'triangle' mean that we can authoritatively say 'round-triangle' is absurd. If we were unclear on what "akk" and "bkk" meant, we would not know if "akk-bkk" is absurd or not. It's just unknown to us. Neither true nor false. Neither rational nor irrational. Again, it's the nature of Existence that determines what's meaningful/true/rational and what's not. First and foremost, semantics are the semantics that they are, because Existence is the existence that it is. Infinite and perfect. We may not know all semantics that Existence has to offer (there may be a 10th sense that is meaningful to some alien, but not to us). But what is absurd to us, is absurd to all. Of course, this is only when we can clearly see the contradiction (as is the case with round-squares), rather than pretend that we have seen a contradiction (as is the case with those who treat things that are extremely unlikely as things that are certainly impossible, or those who treat things that are unknown (like a 10th sense) as things that are absurd).

We did not randomly say "the angles in a perfect triangle add up to 180 degrees". We do not say x is a better triangle than y in terms of triangularity without having awareness of the perfect triangle to know what all lesser (imperfect) triangles are, and how good they are in terms of triangularity.

How can an imperfect being know (or be aware of) what a perfect being is independently of a perfect being? We did not randomly say "God is the perfect being". We do not say x is better than y in terms of being without having the perfect being to know what all lesser (imperfect) beings are, and how good they are in terms of being.
Thomyum2 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:17 pm so I’ll share some thoughts and if that doesn’t help then I’ll leave it at that.
Ok
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Philosopher, neither you or anyone else can have any idea of what perfection means unless you have experience of imperfection. Imperfection is the human condition.It is impossible for anyone in their right mind to know perfection.

The Euclidean triangle is not perfect, because it would mean nothing without the axioms that define a straight line and a point.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Belindi wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 4:58 am Philosopher, neither you or anyone else can have any idea of what perfection means unless you have experience of imperfection. Imperfection is the human condition.It is impossible for anyone in their right mind to know perfection.

The Euclidean triangle is not perfect, because it would mean nothing without the axioms that define a straight line and a point.
The Euclidean triangle is perfect as a triangle, and God is perfect as a being/existent.

I know what triangle means (three-sided shape). I know what perfection means (that which no greater than can be conceived of. Or that which can't be any better as an x). I know what a perfect triangle is (that which has three-sides with its interior angels totalling exactly 180 degrees. Nothing can be more triangular, or better in terms of triangularity than this). I know what true perfection is (God. There is nothing better than God. There is no being/existent better than God).

I did not just randomly throw together words in the above paragraph. I highlighted semantics that I am aware of, so I don't know why you say it is impossible for anyone in their right mind to know perfection, when I have clearly highlighted what true perfection is. To my recollection, I have never seen a perfect triangle, nor have I seen the infinite, yet, I know that objectively speaking, a perfect triangle is such that its interior angles add up to 180 degrees, and God (that which is Infinite, Omnipresent, Omnipotent....) is truly that which no greater than can be conceived of. Or that which no greater than can be conceived of as an existent/being. Such semantics that I have access to are made accessible to me by Existence (or more specifically God's Existence, because it's God's Existence that sustains everything). I could not know such semantics independently of the nature of Existence. Triangles and imperfect "beings" are meaningful because Existence is such that it can create or sustain triangles and imperfect "beings", and there's a reason why round-squares are absurd (they are not true of Existence, or tied to Existence in any way, shape, or form. Absolute/true liars are liars because why they describe is not true of existence in any way). It is because Existence is Perfect that true perfection is meaningful. It is because Existence is Infinite that there are an endless number of meaningful hypothetical possibilities or semantics.

We do not instantiate Existence; we are entirely contingent upon it. And it is such that we know it is absurd for us to say "Existence is finite" or "Existence is imperfect" or "God does not absolutely exist" or "There are more real thing/existents/beings, than God".
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I know what triangle means (three-sided shape)

You cannot know what 'side' means unless you already know what a straight line means. You cannot know what a straight line means unless you already know what a point means.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Belindi wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 11:49 am
I know what triangle means (three-sided shape)

You cannot know what 'side' means unless you already know what a straight line means. You cannot know what a straight line means unless you already know what a point means.

Existence itself is not everlasting.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

philosopher19 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 11:02 am
Thomyum2 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:17 pmIn your example above, your sfgsfgabc (or a round square or a married bachelor) is meaningless not because of the nature of existence, but simply because the two semantic categories we're using are mutually exclusive
And what determines that "the two semantic categories we're using are mutually exclusive"? Can it be anything other than the nature of Existence? If yes, can you tell me what that is?
What I’m trying to say here is that the two categories are mutually exclusive because of how we count things, not because of the nature of the objects that we’re counting. In other words, although triangles ‘have’ three sides, that property of triangles doesn’t emerge - isn't perceived - until those sides are actually counted as being three in number. Counting is something we learn to do – it’s not something we’re born knowing, and knowing how to count is not something intrinsic to observing a triangular object. In short, we are a part of what a triangle is - a triangle cannot be a triangle unless there is a sentient being that has the capacity to distinguish it from anything else by being able to identify that is 'has three sides'.

So if you’re using the phrase ‘the nature of Existence’ to encompass our own natures, both learned and inherited, with respect to how we approach the world and the choices we make as to what things we do or do not value and find worthy of communicating via semantics to, then yes, I’d agree. But if you’re saying it’s the nature of the things we observe that determine the semantics, then I wouldn’t agree.
philosopher19 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 11:02 am So I don't see semantics as something we can create or alter. If I try to come up with one instance of where we created or altered a semantic, I find that I cannot.
But consider just for a moment this post that you’ve written to me – in a sense your post is a semantic unto itself. It carries a meaning that can't be recognized from just looking at each of the component semantics within it. Do you really believe that you’ve had no creative role in this process of bringing this about – that all of the meaning in what you’ve written pre-existed you and all you’ve done is to combine semantics in different way – just rearranged the building blocks and nothing more? I would have a hard time seeing it this way. As I see it, when words are given meaning it reveals the living person behind them - there is a 'spirit' in them and they are not simply inanimate objects. Your responses to me are invested with your thoughts and ideas and feelings, your values and your sense of what is important, all of which have grown out of your experiences and which are unique to you alone, and in being put here now are unique to this moment in time.

To me, saying that we just 'become aware' of a semantic that already exists and don’t have a role in creating the meaning is like saying that Beethoven didn’t create his 5th symphony. Certainly he used ideas that came before him – harmonies and rhythms and melodic structures that he himself did not invent – but he took these and made an original creation from them that reflects his own experiences and feelings, the things he cared passionately about at the place and time he lived and he poured this spirit into his work. The whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts - it becomes something unique in and of itself. Now we could say in that Platonic sense that the 5th symphony already existed as a perfect ‘form’ that was just waiting for Beethoven to ‘become aware’ of it and show it to the world. If that’s going to be taken as the case, then I have to think this can only be understood as a roundabout way of saying the same thing.

You’ve said in your earlier post that ‘we do not instantiate Existence; we are entirely contingent upon it.’ And while I’d there is some truth to this in that we do not bring ourselves into existence and are entirely dependent on our Creator for our being, I wouldn’t necessarily take this to me that we have no creative role in existence. As you’ve also pointed out other posts, we are ‘created in God’s image’. Part of what that means to me is that God as Creator has made us creators as well and we reflect His image in this sense too – that we are not made to be merely passive observers or recipients of creation, but that we are meant to participate in creation – that we have been given the capacity to bring truth, goodness and beauty into being and into the world, and that we find the fulfillment of our purpose in life by doing just this.

I said I was going to leave it be on my last post, but your latest response prompted some more thoughts and anyway this is a hopefully better way to wrap up on a little more positive note.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream