The overlooked part of Russell's paradox

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
philosopher19

The overlooked part of Russell's paradox

Post by philosopher19 »

If x, y, and z are sets that are not members of themselves, and I form a set of these three sets, to represent this, I can write something like: p = {x, y, z}. I cannot write x = {x, y, z} as that would amount to x being a member of itself with y and z not being members of themselves.

If x, y, and z are sets that are members of themselves, and I form a set of these three sets, to represent this, I can write something like: p = {x, y, z}. I cannot write x = {x, y, z} as that would either amount to x being a member of itself with y and z not being members of themselves (consistent with above in red), or it would amount to x being a member of itself twice (which is contradictory as nothing can be a member of itself twice, or be itself twice), with y and z being members of themselves once. This shows the following:

You cannot have a set of ALL sets that are not members of themselves because it will result in at least one set not being included in the set. In other words, some set x will have to be included in x, but it can't.

You cannot have a set of ALL sets that are members of themselves because it will result in at least one set being a member of itself twice. In other words, some set x will have to not be included in x, but it can't.

For a detailed solution to Russell's paradox:

http://philosophyneedsgods.com/2021/05/ ... -infinity/
Steve3007

Re: The overlooked part of Russell's paradox

Post by Steve3007 »

philosopher19 wrote:If x, y, and z are sets that are members of themselves, and I form a set of these three sets, to represent this, I can write something like: p = {x, y, z}...
You're wrong to state above that "p = {x, y, z}" represents x, y and z being members of themselves. It doesn't. The statement "x is a member of itself", using similar notation, could be represented as "x = {x, ...}". Likewise for y and z.
...I cannot write x = {x, y, z} as that would either amount to x being a member of itself with y and z not being members of themselves (consistent with above in red)...
The part I've highlighted in bold is incorrect. x = {x, y, z} does not amount to y and z not being members of themselves. It says nothing about the members of y and z. It simply says that x is a member of itself and y and z are also members of it.
...or it would amount to x being a member of itself twice (which is contradictory as nothing can be a member of itself twice, or be itself twice), with y and z being members of themselves once.
Nothing you've written says anything equivalent to "x = {x, x}". You can, of course, have an infinite hierarchy of set membership. A set that is a member of itself will always form a hierarchy like that. "x = {x, ...}" can obviously be expanded ad infinitum. "x = {{x, ...}, ...}" etc. Nothing wrong with that so long as you don't expect it to represent physical objects. (Sets are abstract concepts. They may or may not be useful for representing groupings of physical objects.)
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Aside from Steve3007's comment above, I didn't catch what the thread title promised: what's the "overlooked" part of Russell's paradox?
RJG

Post by RJG »

philosopher19 wrote:If x, y, and z are sets that are members of themselves
Phil, this is not possible. X (or Y, Z etc) cannot logically be a "set that is a member of itself". To help understand, imagine a box (to represent a "set"), now put this box inside itself. It can't be done.

"Sets that are members of themselves" are logical impossibilities (form X<X).
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: June 8th, 2021, 8:46 am
philosopher19 wrote:If x, y, and z are sets that are members of themselves
Phil, this is not possible. X (or Y, Z etc) cannot logically be a "set that is a member of itself". To help understand, imagine a box (to represent a "set"), now put this box inside itself. It can't be done.

"Sets that are members of themselves" are logical impossibilities (form X<X).
Sets aren't boxes. They're just abstract ideas. To have a set that's a member of itself, all you have to do is define it, and say, for example, that set x = {x, 1, 2}. Thus x is a member of itself.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

philosopher19 wrote:You cannot have a set of ALL sets that are not members of themselves because it will result in at least one set not being included in the set. In other words, some set x will have to be included in x, but it can't.
You can't have a set of all sets that are not members of themselves because then it could neither be a member of itself nor not a member of itself without contradiction. That's the point of the paradox.
You cannot have a set of ALL sets that are members of themselves because it will result in at least one set being a member of itself twice. In other words, some set x will have to not be included in x, but it can't.
You can have a set of all sets that are members of themselves. In your scenario of 3 sets that are members of themselves, if we call it x. So: x = {x, y, z}; y = {y, ...}; z = {z, ...}. That just means that there's an infinite hierarchy, or nesting. In the abstract world of sets there's nothing wrong with that.

Just as in mathematics there's nothing wrong with such concepts as infinite series. There is a whole class of numbers (transcendental numbers) that are only definable using such things as sums of infinite series, as opposed to finite length algebraic equations.

The concept of sets that are members of themselves may not have much use as references to physical objects, but I use them in my job all the time. They are undoubtedly useful logical concepts.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:x = {x, 1, 2}. Thus x is a member of itself.
Not possible. ...as this now give the variable "x" infinite different assignments, thereby defeating the purpose (uniqueness) of a variable. This creates an impossible infinite regress (a self looping) scenario.

For example, if x = {x, 1, 2}, then using substitution, x= {{x, 1, 2}, 1, 2} and x= {{{x, 1, 2}, 1, 2}, 1, 2}, and x= {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{...to infinity and beyond, ...meaning "x" has no meaning!
Last edited by RJG on June 8th, 2021, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:imagine a box (to represent a "set")
That's a bit like saying "imagine a cat to represent the word 'cat'". The direction of representation is the wrong way around.

Abstract concepts can (but don't have to) be used to describe or represent physical phenomena. Not the other way around. Sure, we can think of, or even construct, material models if it helps to visualize or illustrate an abstraction, but that doesn't mean that the abstraction is constrained by the physics of the material model that we've made. It's constrained by logic, which is not the same as saying that it's constrained by the physics of material models we might use to illustrate it. I think that's a mistake that's often made in all kinds of contexts where physical/material models and graphics are used to illustrate abstract idea. It's a dilemma for the people trying to explain those ideas.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

That one was TS.
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:32 am Not possible. ...as this now give the variable "x" infinite different assignments, thereby defeating the purpose (uniqueness) of a variable. This creates an impossible infinite regress (a self looping) scenario.
It's not something we're programming into a computer or anything real. It's an abstract idea. It creates an infinite regress insofar as you bother thinking of that.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve and TS, my point is that a given variable (abstract or real) is unique, it cannot simultaneously have 2 or more different meanings.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG wrote:Steve and TS, my point is that a given variable (abstract or real) is unique, it cannot simultaneously have 2 or more different meanings.
Since we're now talking about variables: In my usage variables have values. So if x = 2, then the value of x is 2. If y = 2 then x = y is equivalent to saying x = 2. There's nothing wrong with x simultaneously being equal to 2 and to y, and to an arbitrarily large number of other possible expressions.

If we go back to considering sets:

If x = {x, y, z} then, by substituting for x, that's equivalent to x = {{x, y, z}, y, z}, and to an infinite number of other possible substitutions. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with substituting an expression with an equivalent expression. And, as I said earlier, there's nothing logically wrong with infinite sequences. They can be very useful. We wouldn't, for example, have definitions of pi or e without them. Pi and e are very useful.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:Since we're now talking about variables: In my usage variables have values. So if x = 2, then the value of x is 2. If y = 2 then x = y is equivalent to saying x = 2. There's nothing wrong with x simultaneously being equal to 2 and to y, and to an arbitrarily large number of other possible expressions.
I agree with this because there are multiple ways to say "2". So the meaning is the same in all cases.

But we can’t simultaneously mean "2" and also mean "3". We can't have multiple simultaneous meanings for a single variable.

Steve3007 wrote:If we go back to considering sets:

If x = {x, y, z} then, by substituting for x, that's equivalent to x = {{x, y, z}, y, z}, and to an infinite number of other possible substitutions. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with substituting an expression with an equivalent expression. And, as I said earlier, there's nothing logically wrong with infinite sequences. They can be very useful. We wouldn't, for example, have definitions of pi or e without them. Pi and e are very useful.
There is a difference here. Pi (as with any variable) we can get to stand by itself, but x = {x, 1, 2} or X<X cannot be resolved; we can't get X to stand by itself so we can know what it is (what it means).

If you believe X<X is logically impossible, then why don't you believe x={x, 1, 2} is likewise impossible?

What's the difference? In both cases, x can never be resolved, and therefore impossible.
Terrapin Station

RJG wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:39 am Steve and TS, my point is that a given variable (abstract or real) is unique, it cannot simultaneously have 2 or more different meanings.
First off, when we're talking about how people are thinking about things--which is what we're talking about when we're talking about sets, what would make it true that a given variable is unique?
RJG

Post by RJG »

Terrapin Station wrote:First off, when we're talking about how people are thinking about things--which is what we're talking about when we're talking about sets, what would make it true that a given variable is unique?
If we want to make sense then we first have to know what we are talking about. So my question is - What is X?

Does X=X? or
Does X={X, 1, 2}?

Which of these two different (unique) meanings/solutions are we talking about? In other words, which X are we talking about? We can't have two different meanings/solutions to the same variable and still make sense.

X={X, 1, 2} logically contradicts X=X. Therefore (and assuming we hold X=X as true, then), X={X, 1, 2} is as logically impossible as X<X.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream