Authority and Freedom

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Skyblack

Authority and Freedom

Post by Skyblack »

Now, how does the lover of wisdom accurately learn about himself and the world? Certainly not according to some analyst, some philosopher, some guru, some formula, some method. If we learn about ourselves according to an “expert” then we learn about that expert and what his/her thoughts are, not about ourselves. Besides, one simply has to look at the lives, the conduct, of these dime a dozen so called experts to get an accurate estimation of the value, or in most cases the lack thereof, of what they espouse. Their real lives indicate their clueless-ness.

One wonders why we submit to authority. Why are we always on the lookout for handouts? Whether the handouts are from the government, some holy book, the newest intellectual gimmick, the newest ideas so on and so forth. Interestingly, again, yesterday I saw a post which might explain this briefly. We submit to authority because all of us have this inward demand to be safe, this urge to be secure, to have an easy life. Desire for comfort and convenience trumps over sweat of the brow. It seems so long as we want to be secure in our possessions, in our power, in our thoughts, we must have authority. We will always be followers.

But to learn about oneself, all psychological authority must come to an end, whether it be the authority of the church or of the local priest, or the famous analyst, or of the greatest philosophers with their intellectual formulas, and so on.

It seems there is a need for a psychological revolution within the person if he/she is serious. A revolution of our own psyche wherein, all psychological authority is uprooted and thrown out. This is very difficult, for there is not only the outward authority, which one can easily reject, but there is inward authority: the inward authority of one's own experience, of one's own accumulated knowledge, of the opinions, ideas, beliefs, which goads one's life. It’s harder to be free of the latter.

These are in brief some of the issues that confront an inquirer inquiring into freedom.
LuckyR

Re: Authority and Freedom

Post by LuckyR »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 1:07 am Now, how does the lover of wisdom accurately learn about himself and the world? Certainly not according to some analyst, some philosopher, some guru, some formula, some method. If we learn about ourselves according to an “expert” then we learn about that expert and what his/her thoughts are, not about ourselves. Besides, one simply has to look at the lives, the conduct, of these dime a dozen so called experts to get an accurate estimation of the value, or in most cases the lack thereof, of what they espouse. Their real lives indicate their clueless-ness.

One wonders why we submit to authority. Why are we always on the lookout for handouts? Whether the handouts are from the government, some holy book, the newest intellectual gimmick, the newest ideas so on and so forth. Interestingly, again, yesterday I saw a post which might explain this briefly. We submit to authority because all of us have this inward demand to be safe, this urge to be secure, to have an easy life. Desire for comfort and convenience trumps over sweat of the brow. It seems so long as we want to be secure in our possessions, in our power, in our thoughts, we must have authority. We will always be followers.

But to learn about oneself, all psychological authority must come to an end, whether it be the authority of the church or of the local priest, or the famous analyst, or of the greatest philosophers with their intellectual formulas, and so on.

It seems there is a need for a psychological revolution within the person if he/she is serious. A revolution of our own psyche wherein, all psychological authority is uprooted and thrown out. This is very difficult, for there is not only the outward authority, which one can easily reject, but there is inward authority: the inward authority of one's own experience, of one's own accumulated knowledge, of the opinions, ideas, beliefs, which goads one's life. It’s harder to be free of the latter.

These are in brief some of the issues that confront an inquirer inquiring into freedom.
This is a very common outlook for folks of a certain age. I had that view myself at one time.

However, I will pose this thought. If every generation throws out previous generation's experience and comes up with their own analysis de novo, then there is no long term accumulation of knowledge and experience, everyone reinvents the wheel again and again. Not a recipe for progress.

Of course if every individual lived unique lives filled with unique thoughts, I guess there would be no alternative. But we are less unique than most suppose.
"As usual... it depends."
Asif

Post by Asif »

I agree with a lot of these points. The majority do desire comfort and a need to "control reality." That control is via the use of reductionist illusions and pet theories. In doing so they defer to fear and their illusions offer a fake comfort to reality,this is due to low self esteem.
Most are absolutely fine with this,as they in no way can cross the abyss of fear. The few that have tried have either lost the plot or retired into the status quo defeated and cynical.
Only a tiny few have that innate confidence to swim in the sea of reality. And those few also include traumatised individuals who are trying bravely to escape the conditioning of society,which i think the OP is referring to.
I myself have battled these intrusive psychological conditioned thoughts,and it's safe to say one feels so much freedom and happiness to do so successfully.
The closest process I would compare it to is pure meditation,or getting into the zone during sports. And this process can be regularly practiced to improve one's clarity and confidence

Reason: off-topic ad hominem flooding
Skyblack

Post by Skyblack »

This is a very common outlook for folks of a certain age. I had that view myself at one time.

However, I will pose this thought. If every generation throws out previous generation's experience and comes up with their own analysis de novo, then there is no long term accumulation of knowledge and experience, everyone reinvents the wheel again and again. Not a recipe for progress.

Of course if every individual lived unique lives filled with unique thoughts, I guess there would be no alternative. But we are less unique than most suppose.
Thanks for the chuckle. While it will be easy to establish the falsity of your alleged personal claims, and your estimations on the subject matter of OP if we went into it but in light of our exchanges here https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forum ... ead#unread , like i have said before it will be a waste of my energy and time to continue with trolls.

I will ask you this one more time, please don't come to a thread i have started.
Skyblack

Post by Skyblack »

I agree with a lot of these points. The majority do desire comfort and a need to "control reality." That control is via the use of reductionist illusions and pet theories. In doing so they defer to fear and their illusions offer a fake comfort to reality,this is due to low self esteem.
Most are absolutely fine with this,as they in no way can cross the abyss of fear. The few that have tried have either lost the plot or retired into the status quo defeated and cynical.
Only a tiny few have that innate confidence to swim in the sea of reality. And those few also include traumatised individuals who are trying bravely to escape the conditioning of society,which i think the OP is referring to.
I myself have battled these intrusive psychological conditioned thoughts,and it's safe to say one feels so much freedom and happiness to do so successfully.
The closest process I would compare it to is pure meditation,or getting into the zone during sports. And this process can be regularly practiced to improve one's clarity and confidence
Right. The OP isn't for the defeated and the cynical. On, the contrary it's for those that are willing to look at facts even after their defeat.

All we are doing at this time is unmasking the hidden workings of authority, it's movement in the human mind, it's effects, and how all these relates to freedom.

Can you say more on this?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 2:50 am

Thanks for the chuckle. While it will be easy to establish the falsity of your alleged personal claims, and your estimations on the subject matter of OP if we went into it but in light of our exchanges here https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forum ... ead#unread , like i have said before it will be a waste of my energy and time to continue with trolls.

I will ask you this one more time, please don't come to a thread i have started.
A couple of things:

If you feel my post that you replied to here is sarcastic, I can assure you it is not. I am actually eager to hear reasoned arguments that don't happen to agree with my own, which is a very common attitude here. I encourage you to embrace it.

Since many more folks read threads than post in them, there is additional value to postings beyond the written replies that get generated in response. Thus why neither your nor my opinions on various postings are very important.
"As usual... it depends."
Asif

Post by Asif »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 3:08 am
Right. The OP isn't for the defeated and the cynical. On, the contrary it's for those that are willing to look at facts even after their defeat.

All we are doing at this time is unmasking the hidden workings of authority, it's movement in the human mind, it's effects, and how all these relates to freedom.

Can you say more on this?
The workings of authority on the human mind can be seen with what i would call intrusive thoughts. Thoughts that manifest in your mind which seem to be foreign to your general values and psyche.
These manifest a lot when you are under pressure or trying to solve an issue. These thoughts carry a stamp and force of fear.
If one is complacent one goes along with these thoughts,as fighting or ignoring these thoughts sometimes creates uncertainty and internal strife,procrastination.
These thoughts are from parents,childhood,education and the dominant ideology of the society one is familiar with.
For many These intrusions are a given,and can't be reasoned away. They must be worked out of ones psyche with consistent efforts in the different areas of life.
Basically one must work on ignoring,refuting the intrusive authoritarian thoughts and let one's one thoughts flood through and flow confidently,just like they are naturally meant to.
Language is one way These intrusive thoughts manifest. Thus we reject all PC and authoritarian speech and language.
Finally,one must learn to embrace the unknown and anxiety and fear. These are natural components of a creative lifestyle, One doesn't become obsessed with accumulating knowledge or eliminating anxiety but one swims and dances in the joy of competitive creativity.

Skyblack

Post by Skyblack »

A couple of things:

If you feel my post that you replied to here is sarcastic, I can assure you it is not. I am actually eager to hear reasoned arguments that don't happen to agree with my own, which is a very common attitude here. I encourage you to embrace it.

Since many more folks read threads than post in them, there is additional value to postings beyond the written replies that get generated in response. Thus why neither your nor my opinions on various postings are very important.
I am going to say this again, i am not going to "embrace" any trolling. Please do not post in my threads.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 3:32 am
A couple of things:

I am going to say this again, i am not going to "embrace" any trolling. Please do not post in my threads.
Sky, he is not trolling, he has a different opinion. I suggest you consider his opinion as it is shared by some percentage of others. If it is an opinion that you disagree with learning how it works is really useful for being able to better articulate a postion. Always make use of what is available.

Also if everyone agrees with an OP, it will be a very dull forum.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 1:07 am Now, how does the lover of wisdom accurately learn about himself and the world? Certainly not according to some analyst, some philosopher, some guru, some formula, some method. If we learn about ourselves according to an “expert” then we learn about that expert and what his/her thoughts are, not about ourselves. Besides, one simply has to look at the lives, the conduct, of these dime a dozen so called experts to get an accurate estimation of the value, or in most cases the lack thereof, of what they espouse. Their real lives indicate their clueless-ness.

The average person lacks the capacity to think for himself/herself. Most of them are too weak-minded to even want to try, and those who are strong-minded enough to try, still fail due to insufficient intelligence. What is left for them is to submit to authority. The lover of wisdom is typically not someone from the average group.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Skyblack

Post by Skyblack »

Sky, he is not trolling, he has a different opinion. I suggest you consider his opinion as it is shared by some percentage of others. If it is an opinion that you disagree with learning how it works is really useful for being able to better articulate a postion. Always make use of what is available.

Also if everyone agrees with an OP, it will be a very dull forum.
Sir, i have posted the link to the thread where he was trolling on multiple occasions and on different days. He was informed his ad hominem's didn't inspire any reason to engage with him. In spite of that he came in to troll again. From that thread he then followed me here. He has been asked not to come to any of my threads because it's clear he a conflict monger and enjoys creating conflict.

Furthermore, your point of acceptance and rejection to OP doesn't hold ground as it's a strawman, just like the rest of the things you have said. I suggest you do not make it a habit of giving unsolicited advice in that condescending tone.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 1:07 am Now, how does the lover of wisdom accurately learn about himself and the world? Certainly not according to some analyst, some philosopher, some guru, some formula, some method. If we learn about ourselves according to an “expert” then we learn about that expert and what his/her thoughts are, not about ourselves.
I admire your wish not to 'stand on the shoulders of giants', but your progress will be necessarily slow. I wish you God-speed on your journey of learning!
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 2:50 am I will ask you this one more time, please don't come to a thread i have started.
Philosophy forums don't work like that. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it is so.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Skyblack

Post by Skyblack »

The workings of authority on the human mind can be seen with what i would call intrusive thoughts. Thoughts that manifest in your mind which seem to be foreign to your general values and psyche.
These manifest a lot when you are under pressure or trying to solve an issue. These thoughts carry a stamp and force of fear.
If one is complacent one goes along with these thoughts,as fighting or ignoring these thoughts sometimes creates uncertainty and internal strife,procrastination.
These thoughts are from parents,childhood,education and the dominant ideology of the society one is familiar with.
For many These intrusions are a given,and can't be reasoned away. They must be worked out of ones psyche with consistent efforts in the different areas of life.
Basically one must work on ignoring,refuting the intrusive authoritarian thoughts and let one's one thoughts flood through and flow confidently,just like they are naturally meant to.
Language is one way These intrusive thoughts manifest. Thus we reject all PC and authoritarian speech and language.
Finally,one must learn to embrace the unknown and anxiety and fear. These are natural components of a creative lifestyle, One doesn't become obsessed with accumulating knowledge or eliminating anxiety but one swims and dances in the joy of competitive creativity.
Excuse me for not seeing this message before. So you are saying thoughts and knowledge are the same. I agree, thought is a material process like knowledge. It's a response of memory to knowledge. And fear is a response to thoughts.
Asif

Post by Asif »

Skyblack wrote: June 20th, 2021, 2:05 pm
Excuse me for not seeing this message before. So you are saying thoughts and knowledge are the same. I agree, thought is a material process like knowledge. It's a response of memory to knowledge. And fear is a response to thoughts.
Would you consider memory,thought and knowledge to be the same? I do see a difference between intrusive thoughts and real intuitive knowledge and memory. And Memory and knowledge are not static processes but dynamic intuitions.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream