The art of of the lie.

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Consul

Re: The art of of the lie.

Post by Consul »

A short text by Colin McGinn: The Virtuous Lie
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Consul wrote:A short text by Colin McGinn: The Virtuous Lie
It's interesting in that it introduces the concept of the promise; related to the idea of the contract. It proposes that, in some circumstances, the importance of keeping promises can be said to override consequentialist arguments. But it could be argued that the reason why we attach importance to promise-keeping is due to wider consequentialist arguments. i.e. We perhaps think that promise-keeping is one of the foundations on which societies are built. Honouring contractual agreements certainly is.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Steve3007 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 10:21 am
It's interesting in that it introduces the concept of the promise; related to the idea of the contract. It proposes that, in some circumstances, the importance of keeping promises can be said to override consequentialist arguments. But it could be argued that the reason why we attach importance to promise-keeping is due to wider consequentialist arguments. i.e. We perhaps think that promise-keeping is one of the foundations on which societies are built. Honouring contractual agreements certainly is.
McGinn presents a deontological argument for the moral legitimacy of lying under certain circumstances: We have the duty to keep our promises, so lying isn't morally wrong in case not lying would mean breaking a promise.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Consul wrote:McGinn presents a deontological argument for the moral legitimacy of lying under certain circumstances: We have the duty to keep our promises, so lying isn't morally wrong in case not lying would mean breaking a promise.
Yes I know. He points out that most justifications for lying rely on consequentialist arguments about the good consequences of the lie overriding the prima facie wrong of lying. But lying to keep a promise (he argues) doesn't. I was just speculating that it's possible to challenge his point that "duty to keep our promises" is not consequentialist. I was pointing out that it could be argued that we created that duty to keep promises for wider consequentialist reasons.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Consul wrote: July 1st, 2021, 11:20 am
Steve3007 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 10:21 am
McGinn presents a deontological argument for the moral legitimacy of lying under certain circumstances: We have the duty to keep our promises, so lying isn't morally wrong in case not lying would mean breaking a promise.
a double bind, that makes sense.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 1st, 2021, 8:57 am
mystery wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:49 am The traits of autism are for sure a spectrum.
All autists are different, and if that's what you mean by a spectrum, you're right. But there is a clear and significant difference between someone who is autistic and someone who is not. Please accept this from someone who is autistic, and knows whereof they speak. Thanks.

mystery wrote: July 1st, 2021, 12:49 am As for dishonesty, it is our wording that is different only.
No, I don't think so. Please read my blog post to see what I mean. It's a 2-minute read. It is written from personal experience, and from conversations I have had with other autistic people. It is as accurate and clear as I could make it. Dishonesty is distasteful to autists, but a core quality of NT communication. It is our wording, and our understanding too, that differs.

Thanks for showing an interest.
I have a lot of interest in this topic. I live it and care for another that lives it.

I mostly agree with your link about this and very much get it.

All the information that is assumed between ppl does not get processed. We CAN learn how to see it and process it, albeit never as fast as a natural can.

My daughter is autistic, with very high functioning. Although not uncommon it is less common for a female to have this way than it is for a male. I can still remember the careful and very neat piles of toys, instead of playing with them, she would line them up. After years of intervention and special training, most common ppl will have no idea about this for her, she has very completely learned how to reply to so many things that it looks very natural. But when talking with her and her perceptions of things, it is all very clear then. I am enough in the spectrum to completely understand her. For example, she uses the word humans instead of people, but for some reason, most do not notice or care, I feel some success in that she is able to fit in ok.

One of the things that held me back professionally for many years was the ability to accept the gray area of things. Generally, leadership is all about triaging the gray area. I did learn to do it, and I did learn to lie or learn to accept doing it when needed but it still is not a comfortable thing to do.

I can still remember in the past choosing truth over friendship. That is a terrible choice and the wrong one to make on many levels. I no longer do that as I have learned more about how things work and do not find the evil I once did in the false view.

As you know the number of cases increases without a clear reason as to why. It is evolution, but how exactly is an interesting topic. But clearly, from an evolutionary point, Autism is winning, not a deficiency at all it is an evolutionary step. That's just my idea... Evolution is the master of all, anything that increases from that perspective is somehow stronger.

When first understood how common telling lies is and that most are doing it in a normal way I was astounded at how evil all are. Over time I learned and am ok with it now. I generally find men more honest than women. Women tend to believe what they fabricate, I mean it becomes true for them, while men usually continue to know that they are lying.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream