Authenticity

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Authenticity

Post by chewybrian »

What is it?
Is it important?
Can you find it?
Should you try?

(I am thinking of authenticity as described by the existentialists, but I wouldn't mind if someone wants to go a different way)

I think it is easier to define authenticity by what it is not. It is not categorizing the world and refusing to see what does not fit into the categories you have created or accepted. It is not trying to be what you think others would like you to be, or acting in anticipation of being rewarded for the nature of your actions. It is not choosing religion over God, or money over happiness, or providing for your family over loving them. It is not choosing descriptions of reality that allow you to pursue your base desires and call them virtues, or avoid your fears and call that avoidance noble. It is not trying to see the world as the symbols we have created to describe the world.

But, authenticity is less about the world and more about yourself. You shouldn't be lying to others, but more importantly, you shouldn't be fooling yourself, convincing yourself that a convenient lie is true. It is about changing yourself into the type of person who actions can align with their beliefs. You can't just do the 'right thing' because you want to gain rewards, avoid punishments, or be seen as a good person. You must work on yourself until you want to do what you view as the right thing, and you don't care if there is no external reward, or if someone else might not believe it is right.

I think this is a critical concept to adapt if you want to be better and hopefully happier. The danger is that we are all too apt to substitute our symbols for reality. At the end of the line, you have people considering themselves Christians while they tortured and killed people in the crusades, or when they discriminated or even killed people based on their race, religion, sexual orientation and such. I'd say the world often rewards and embraces inauthentic actions, so seeking authenticity will never be easy. It can be worthwhile, and it can also be dangerous and costly. If you lose your job or your friend or the respect of a community of phonies, maybe none of these were worth seeking in the first place. But, if you lose your freedom or your life, maybe you paid too much.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Re: Authenticity

Post by AmericanKestrel »

chewybrian wrote: July 5th, 2021, 8:35 am What is it?
Is it important?
Can you find it?
Should you try?

I think it is easier to define authenticity by what it is not.
It is being comfortable with, accepting of, and at peace with my Self. That is not a state that is simple or easy to arrive at but worth trying. It is important if you value joy.
What it is is mostly subjective. It is objective to the extent that we can sense what it is not in person, things, and in actions.
"The Serpent did not lie."
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

What is neither dishonest nor hypocritical is authentic. Authenticity is to be treasured and therefore worthy of pursuit.

To find authenticity in others is at best an assumption and at worst a guess. We can observe the behavior of others and judge that behavior against our own standards and values. However, we do not have access to the intentions of others. Without such access we cannot know whether those intentions are sincere and consistent with the actions of others, or are inauthentic.

Authenticity is worthy of pursuit but impossible to find. Better to assume than to search fruitlessly for the presence, or absence, of authenticity.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Chewybrian
But, authenticity is less about the world and more about yourself. You shouldn't be lying to others, but more importantly, you shouldn't be fooling yourself, convincing yourself that a convenient lie is true. It is about changing yourself into the type of person who actions can align with their beliefs. You can't just do the 'right thing' because you want to gain rewards, avoid punishments, or be seen as a good person. You must work on yourself until you want to do what you view as the right thing, and you don't care if there is no external reward, or if someone else might not believe it is right.
A good question for Independence Day. From the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,—That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Are human rights the result of perennial truths given from above which sustain the purpose of our universe or are the existentialists right and the universe has no purpose? If that is true Man is only accountable to his own sense of values. But values change. The values of an eighteen year old is different from a thirty year old and still different from a sixty year old. A person can be different but authentic at eighteen and also at sixty

Plato suggests that the soul is out of balance and lacks inner harmony so as he is cannot be an authentic human being. Authenticity for the balanced soul is expressing human purpose so is objectively aware of what being authentic is through a developed human conscience as opposed to the indoctrination normal for the unbalanced soul in the prison of Plato's cave
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

AverageBozo wrote: July 5th, 2021, 10:18 am What is neither dishonest nor hypocritical is authentic. Authenticity is to be treasured and therefore worthy of pursuit.

To find authenticity in others is at best an assumption and at worst a guess. We can observe the behavior of others and judge that behavior against our own standards and values. However, we do not have access to the intentions of others. Without such access we cannot know whether those intentions are sincere and consistent with the actions of others, or are inauthentic.

Authenticity is worthy of pursuit but impossible to find. Better to assume than to search fruitlessly for the presence, or absence, of authenticity.
I wasn't thinking in terms of seeing authenticity in others. It would be a wonderful trait to see in anyone else, when you are convinced that you see it. Of course, you'll never know for certain when others are being genuine, but we are often guessing, unless we are banking on prior assessments of that person.

Actually, I'd say it's hard enough to see in yourself. You have to keep undoing and rebuilding your assumptions to see that they still pass the test. It's just so natural to justify our wishes to ourselves, or to justify running from our fears, that it seems we must be on guard all the time to be authentic.

I would also submit that doing so is a gift to the rest of the world when we succeed (if we are not nuts). We are projecting to the world the way we would like everyone to behave in similar circumstances. If everyone was putting in a good effort at this all the time, I would think the world would be better. So, if you are trying, then you can say you are doing something to help create a better world, by acts or by setting an example or both.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Nick_A wrote: July 5th, 2021, 12:50 pm Are human rights the result of perennial truths given from above which sustain the purpose of our universe or are the existentialists right and the universe has no purpose? If that is true Man is only accountable to his own sense of values. But values change. The values of an eighteen year old is different from a thirty year old and still different from a sixty year old. A person can be different but authentic at eighteen and also at sixty
Don't forget Kierkegaard. I'm sure he would have seen a purpose in the universe, or at least assumed that God had his purpose. For him, existentialism was about direct contact with God rather than rituals and symbols and ministers in the Church. To be authentic in your religion, you would believe in God in your own mind, when nobody was looking. I also think you can be an authentic atheist, like Sartre. Of course, he had his faults (cough...drugs and hookers...cough). But he was also, seemingly, quite genuine in living simply despite having the opportunity to be wealthy, and following his political convictions, turning down the Legion of Honor and the Pulitzer prize. I'd say you can be an authentic agnostic as well, as I might aspire to be some day (unless my beliefs change along the way).

I think you are quite accurate to point out that authenticity is always a moving target. How could it not be? If you are going to fold your arms and declare your authenticity, this stance would not be authentic, because you would shut down the opportunity to grow, or to just admit when you have been wrong. The authentic person would be keen to grow when they could and ready to admit when they were wrong and to take a new, better path.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Authenticity is about being aware of, comfortable with, and then expressing/realizing one's unique dispositions, desires, attitudes, beliefs, etc., whatever they might be--they could be anything--without making compromises in that that one isn't comfortable with, that frustrate one, etc. BUT ultimately doing so in a way that's "maximizable" given social reality. So it can involve making some "smart" compromises that keep one out of prison, that keep one alive, with the maximum possible opportunities that enable authentic action.
Terrapin Station

Things like drugs, hookers, greed/pursuing wealth, etc. can all be part of your authenticity. It just depends on your dispositions, desires, etc. Again, the way you are can be oriented towards anything imaginable.And if you're someone who really enjoys, really wants to do drugs, really wants to enjoy hookers, etc., then being uncomfortable with that, trying to change it because you think you're "supposed to," etc. would NOT be authenticity. The only compromises should be those that enable you to maximize realizing your dispositions, desires, etc.

And of course, the way you are can (and most likely will) change over time, so what counts as authenticity for someone will change at least a bit over time.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

It is not categorizing the world and refusing to see what does not fit into the categories you have created or accepted. It is not trying to be what you think others would like you to be, or acting in anticipation of being rewarded for the nature of your actions. It is not choosing religion over God, or money over happiness, or providing for your family over loving them. It is not choosing descriptions of reality that allow you to pursue your base desires and call them virtues, or avoid your fears and call that avoidance noble. It is not trying to see the world as the symbols we have created to describe the world.
Take the words of Kipling (If), Polonius (Speech giving advice to Laertes in Hamlet) and Mr Spock (Spock Thoughts)

and mix well. I think that covers it.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Of those, I guess The famous line from Polonius' speech sums it up:

"This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

But my favourite, in the context of this philosophy club, is Mr Spock's:

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons
They are vexations to the soul."

(In the link above it says "vexations to this Earth" but that's not how it goes on the version I have on the CD of Shatner and Nimoy's greatest hits.)
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

chewybrian wrote: July 5th, 2021, 8:35 am
This is good. Don't ever look to others for validation, and definitely do not make adjustments so as to get the same.

Don't worry about if others are authentic, it doesn't matter. What we care about is what they do. If others are not authentic but do all things we like, that is ok. For ourselves, we shall also do what we wish to do.

When we wish to do what we wish to do and do so, then we are authentic.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 6th, 2021, 5:58 am Things like drugs, hookers, greed/pursuing wealth, etc. can all be part of your authenticity. It just depends on your dispositions, desires, etc. Again, the way you are can be oriented towards anything imaginable.And if you're someone who really enjoys, really wants to do drugs, really wants to enjoy hookers, etc., then being uncomfortable with that, trying to change it because you think you're "supposed to," etc. would NOT be authenticity.
When I first encountered Sarte in High School, this is the understanding I had of authenticity. I was being true to myself if I didn't restrain my own actions. I was freed to do what I wanted, rather than compelled to do what I thought was right. That didn't work out too well for me, even though initially it was very liberating.

I've grown to have a much different, and I think, more proper and useful interpretation. I am setting an example in the world with each choice I make. I have to align my actions with the way I would like others to behave in similar circumstances, so that I am doing my part to help to create the world in which I want to live. For example, if I really enjoy littering, but don't enjoy living in a world filled with litter, then I must examine my actions in this light, and I will probably conclude that I should not litter. So, I can't just run out and do what I want, but rather must try to do what I think that I should (but not what others might think I should do, unless it coincides). Ultimately, I should come to see that my own life is better when doing what I think is right. My self-respect earned by not littering should be greater than the enjoyment of the convenience of littering.

As you said, authenticity can definitely be very different over time, and probably should be as you learn and grow.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

.............Plato prove that justice does not depend upon a chance, convention or upon external force. It is the right condition of the human soul by the very nature of man when seen in the fullness of his environment. It is in this way that Plato condemned the position taken by Glaucon that justice is something which is external. According to Plato, it is internal as it resides in the human soul. "It is now regarded as an inward grace and its understanding is shown to involve a study of the inner man." It is, therefore, natural and no artificial. It is therefore, not born of fear of the weak but of the longing of the human soul to do a duty according to its nature...............
A person can be authentic while they are killing another. A truly indoctrinated person is authentic. I think the real question is justice and how it relates to wisdom. Can I know what is authentic in me as it relates to the love of wisdom without knowledge of the inner man? According to Plato the unbalanced tripartite soul must lack the pursuit of wisdom since we are opposed to ourselves.

What if justice is the right condition of the human soul which the fallen human condition deprives us of? Then we are limited to concerns over what we DO but oblivious of what we ARE so consequently, can never grow as a species.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Nick_A wrote: July 6th, 2021, 10:29 am
.............Plato prove that justice does not depend upon a chance, convention or upon external force. It is the right condition of the human soul by the very nature of man when seen in the fullness of his environment. It is in this way that Plato condemned the position taken by Glaucon that justice is something which is external. According to Plato, it is internal as it resides in the human soul. "It is now regarded as an inward grace and its understanding is shown to involve a study of the inner man." It is, therefore, natural and no artificial. It is therefore, not born of fear of the weak but of the longing of the human soul to do a duty according to its nature...............
A person can be authentic while they are killing another. A truly indoctrinated person is authentic. I think the real question is justice and how it relates to wisdom. Can I know what is authentic in me as it relates to the love of wisdom without knowledge of the inner man? According to Plato the unbalanced tripartite soul must lack the pursuit of wisdom since we are opposed to ourselves.

What if justice is the right condition of the human soul which the fallen human condition deprives us of? Then we are limited to concerns over what we DO but oblivious of what we ARE so consequently, can never grow as a species.

I looked for the source of that quote because it is so obviously misguided. Plato, as usual expressed many opinions, in matter like this the word "PROVE" is simple wrong.

LINK bu. edu wcp Papers Anci/AnciBhan. etc

I do not know who D.R. Bhandari is or where J.N.V. University exists.
Terrapin Station

chewybrian wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:28 am
Terrapin Station wrote: July 6th, 2021, 5:58 am Things like drugs, hookers, greed/pursuing wealth, etc. can all be part of your authenticity. It just depends on your dispositions, desires, etc. Again, the way you are can be oriented towards anything imaginable.And if you're someone who really enjoys, really wants to do drugs, really wants to enjoy hookers, etc., then being uncomfortable with that, trying to change it because you think you're "supposed to," etc. would NOT be authenticity.
When I first encountered Sarte in High School, this is the understanding I had of authenticity. I was being true to myself if I didn't restrain my own actions. I was freed to do what I wanted, rather than compelled to do what I thought was right. That didn't work out too well for me, even though initially it was very liberating.

If you were ignoring what you dispositionally felt was right ethically, then you weren't being authentic. Authenticity is about ALL of your dispositions, desires, attitudes, etc., not just some of them.

And yeah, some of those can conflict, but then authenticity involves introspecting and figuring out which dispositions feel right to you on balance.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream