You Are Reaction, A Function Of The World

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

You Are Reaction, A Function Of The World

Post by popeye1945 »

Perception is reaction, is experience, is identity, stored perceptions, experiences, and identity are memory. You are a vehicle of life, but even an old car has a built-in cigarette lighter, what a truly wretched vehicle you are!! :) " Those who know the most, must mourn the deepest, orr the fatal truth, the tree of knowledge is not that of life." Byron, I think!
popeye1945

Re: You Are Reaction, A Function Of The World

Post by popeye1945 »

PS: They would let me post unless it was more than one sentence--LOL!!
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

But what followed the creation
of the lesser angel man?
No tragedy before or after
only a farce that long began.

When screw-ups follow screwing
which seems to be the case
shouldn't we stop what we are doing
to save the human race? Ha! Ha!

Definitely not by Byron!! :lol:
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Tegularius,
I take it you find nothing to disagree with, do you believe that perception is reaction thus experience is a reaction and that consciousness is itself reaction? Do you believe that apparent reality is reaction, a biological readout so to speak, come you must disagree with something, that is what makes it interesting.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

popeye1945 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 1:00 am Tegularius,
I take it you find nothing to disagree with, do you believe that perception is reaction thus experience is a reaction and that consciousness is itself reaction? Do you believe that apparent reality is reaction, a biological readout so to speak, come you must disagree with something, that is what makes it interesting.
I was responding to Byron's quote. For humans - the kind that think about such things - the tree of life (nice phrase) is very much blended to the tree of knowledge since it's knowledge which gives life its perspective.

As for what you wrote, I can't respond in any meaningful manner - not that any of it would be meaningful anyway. The word reaction is, for me at least, kind of weird based on its context. There's something not right about it...but maybe that's just me.

In brief, I got nothing further to add.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Hi Tegularius,
I think what Byron had in mind was, direct experience of the world is the holy grail, one can spend to much of one's life studying and pondering instead of being engaged. As to the concept of reaction versus human action, it is quite natural to feel it strange, it violates commonsense for most people.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Byron...
“Sorrow is knowledge: they who know the most must mourn the deepest o’er the fatal truth, the Tree of Knowledge is not that of Life.”
The age of Byron and Goethe was one of Weltschmerz, or world weariness. The German word has a deeper meaning; there's no real counterpart to it in English.

The direct experience you mention was one of pervading melancholy, for which Byron became something of a symbol. It permeated the period known as Romanticism.

...a couple of famous painting symbolizing the melancholic mood...

popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

I am enlightened, desolation row. I didn't take Byron's poem to be all that negative quite the opposite really. It was a period of great gloom however was it? Thanks for the insights!
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

popeye1945 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 3:18 pm I am enlightened, desolation row. I didn't take Byron's poem to be all that negative quite the opposite really. It was a period of great gloom however was it? Thanks for the insights!
Gloom is not the same as melancholy.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

What is the distinction, is melancholy closer to the actual human condition?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

popeye1945 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm Perception is reaction, is experience, is identity, stored perceptions, experiences, and identity are memory. You are a vehicle of life, but even an old car has a built-in cigarette lighter, what a truly wretched vehicle you are!! :) " Those who know the most, must mourn the deepest, orr the fatal truth, the tree of knowledge is not that of life." Byron, I think!
From "Sailing to Byzantium" by William Butler Yates

O sages standing in God's holy fire
As in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing-masters of my soul.
Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity.

What is the soul and why is it fastened to a dying animal; this reacting creature of perception? Why does "It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity"? Is there a purpose in all this humanity as a whole is unaware of?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

popeye1945 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:58 pm What is the distinction, is melancholy closer to the actual human condition?
The words gloom and melancholy are often used synonymously. Connotationally, however, they don't completely overlap.

Melancholy is more of an introspective nature; it operates mostly as an adjective and applied accordingly being mostly subjective and internalized.

Gloom, while having some relation to melancholy, is used mostly as a noun denoting an impression of something external.

Whether writing or verbalizing, one knows instinctively whether one or the other is appropriate or if sadness is more descriptive.

So, no! Melancholy is not closer to the actual human condition as it now shows itself. For that another more apt word is used called desperation.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Nick_A wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:41 am
popeye1945 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm Perception is reaction, is experience, is identity, stored perceptions, experiences, and identity are memory. You are a vehicle of life, but even an old car has a built-in cigarette lighter, what a truly wretched vehicle you are!! :) " Those who know the most, must mourn the deepest, orr the fatal truth, the tree of knowledge is not that of life." Byron, I think!
From "Sailing to Byzantium" by William Butler Yates

O sages standing in God's holy fire
As in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing-masters of my soul.
Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity.

What is the soul and why is it fastened to a dying animal; this reacting creature of perception? Why does "It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity"? Is there a purpose in all this humanity as a whole is unaware of?
Absolutely! In poetry anything is possible being just another fictional form of writing. It strives for sentiment and concludes in sentiment which is usually of little or no value in actuality or practice.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Sounds a bit like Sam Harris's proposal of determinism? If so I'm on board, although it has to be complex enough to account for what appears to be the capacity to not dutifully follow narratives and have moral agency deeper than following whatever archetypal narrative, story, of path direction laid out by one's surroundings (or anyone trying to gas-light you into it) if it's a crappy archetype or a crappy path.

it's a bit like we can't not learn, much like deeper aspects of who we are which function below our conscious radar and sometimes smack us in dreams with one message or another but most of the time don't concoct the content of dreams for our conscious awareness (hence we tend to forget them quickly otherwise). I think that's where people fight determinism - they assume it goes in tandem with superficial 'what you see is what you get' level of depth or complexity in dealing with consciousness, which I don't think follows from either the premise or experience.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Papus,
Did not realize Sammy's influence was showing through. As to moral agency that would remain pretty much determined by the intellect of the said subject. Sam Harris does not indicate that a subject reacts rather than acts. If there is no such thing as free will and I believe this is true, he does indicate this biology-based morality for he focuses upon its well being to determine the direction to go. If you think about it, the belief in free will is a simplistic means of judgement and condemnation. To my way of thinking the realization of the lack of free will allows for concerns for context present and history of both context and subject, and it alines with being of the earth and not just thrown into it. The lack of depth and complexity is just that free will belief. What you see is what you get is the belief in free will. Never the less it is something to ponder this new approach and the waters are yet a little muddy for myself at least.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream