Why is emotional empathy so rare?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Atla

Re: Why is emotional empathy so rare?

Post by Atla »

FranknBerry wrote: September 6th, 2021, 3:25 pm Is the concept of empathy truly any different than the concept of empath's? Are they merely just two different perspectives of just one thing? Both concepts revolve around the behavior of reacting in an emotional way aligning with what we perceive in others. If someone's sad we feel for them as though we were sad ourselves. If someone gets angry and yells at us we get angry and yell back at them. Are these demonstrations of empathy or examples of us being empaths?
These are "normal" empathy, not being empaths.
True philosophy points to the Moon
FranknBerry

Post by FranknBerry »

Atla wrote: September 6th, 2021, 10:49 pm
FranknBerry wrote: September 6th, 2021, 3:25 pm Is the concept of empathy truly any different than the concept of empath's? Are they merely just two different perspectives of just one thing? Both concepts revolve around the behavior of reacting in an emotional way aligning with what we perceive in others. If someone's sad we feel for them as though we were sad ourselves. If someone gets angry and yells at us we get angry and yell back at them. Are these demonstrations of empathy or examples of us being empaths?
That doesn't answer the question. What is "normal" is relative. With how perception works a person could easily perceive their own reaction to others emotional states as not being the same as how others react. This bringing about a perception that they are not "normal" in how they empathize with others resulting in a belief they "feel" the emotions of others more strongly than others or that they are literally feeling the emotions of others. Our inability to ever actually perceive the world like any other means we can't ever know if how we perceive or react is truly any different than any other. We can perceive what is typical to be atypical. This begs the question as to whether there is any difference at all between empathy and empath's beyond our perceptions of them.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

FranknBerry wrote: September 6th, 2021, 3:25 pm If someone's sad we feel for them as though we were sad ourselves.
If someone gets angry and yells at us we get angry and yell back at them.

Are these demonstrations of empathy or examples of us being empaths?
My own, subjective, view on this, subjective, topic is that the first is an example of sympathy, and the second of intolerance. Neither fit with my understanding of 'empathy'. YMMV, of course.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
FranknBerry

Post by FranknBerry »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 7th, 2021, 2:33 pm
FranknBerry wrote: September 6th, 2021, 3:25 pm If someone's sad we feel for them as though we were sad ourselves.

My own, subjective, view on this, subjective, topic is that the first is an example of sympathy, and the second of intolerance. Neither fit with my understanding of 'empathy'. YMMV, of course.
I've been exposed to a wide variety of ways in which the concepts of sympathy and empathy have been utilized which brings me to perceive them as just two different perspectives of one behavior that is interchangeable to some, but not to others. Personally, sympathy had existed in my own "mind" as defined by ones actions, not their feelings. Feeling sad in response to observing someone we perceive as feeling sad being empathy while interacting with the person via words or actions as a means of sympathy. I comprehend that this is just one possible way of defining each/either. I'm not following exactly the interpretation of intolerance to the second example. I can see how intolerance can explain an initial reaction of yelling at a person, yet the follow up action of yelling back doesn't fit with how I perceive this term. By yelling back a person is reacting in the way in which they are exposed to. A person gets angry because someone else is angry. Mimicry of behavior.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

FranknBerry wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:04 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 7th, 2021, 2:33 pm

I've been exposed to a wide variety of ways in which the concepts of sympathy and empathy have been utilized which brings me to perceive them as just two different perspectives of one behavior that is interchangeable to some, but not to others. Personally, sympathy had existed in my own "mind" as defined by ones actions, not their feelings. Feeling sad in response to observing someone we perceive as feeling sad being empathy while interacting with the person via words or actions as a means of sympathy. I comprehend that this is just one possible way of defining each/either. I'm not following exactly the interpretation of intolerance to the second example. I can see how intolerance can explain an initial reaction of yelling at a person, yet the follow up action of yelling back doesn't fit with how I perceive this term. By yelling back a person is reacting in the way in which they are exposed to. A person gets angry because someone else is angry. Mimicry of behavior.
FB, I think you have a pretty good grasp of the concepts here. Perhaps to put a finer point on it, I’d say that when I recognize and understand that someone is sad, but I don’t become sad myself in interacting with that person, I am being sympathetic. If I were to go a step further by being sad myself, I am being empathetic. Both of your examples above depict empathy, although in the 2nd case to be truly empathetic you should join the other in being angry perhaps at some policy that makes you do something that ires the other person.
FranknBerry

Post by FranknBerry »

In terms of the initial question, and not how it applies to the concept of empath's, I believe understanding the variations of empathy displayed by people is most effectively done so by understanding what the underlying behavior is that we refer to as empathy. The behavior of empathy is the projection of how things exist in one mind projected onto others as though they are feeling what you yourself are feeling or have felt in a similar circumstance. Seeing someone cry triggers how the behavior of crying exists in your own "mind". Your prior experiences of crying and how others had acted towards you upon witnessing you do so. This leads to expressions such as "I know how you feel" or "I know what you're going through."

What this means, however, is that an individual can only demonstrate or experience acts of "empathy" in regards to what they themselves have experienced at some point in their lives or is capable of imagining. A person cannot empathize with what they don't or can't understand. Cognitive variances are the most difficult type of variance to understand and thus, empathize with. As an example, I am diagnosed with A.S.D. and A.D.H.D. I have had significant struggles my entire life. Employment is impossible to maintain without accommodations. I had a job with a county at one point wherein my coworkers and manager had been creating a hostile work environment for me because they couldn't empathize with my variances. They assumed the worst of me because, per their own words, they couldn't figure me out or read me. Upon requesting accommodations and disclosing my diagnosis to aid in reducing my stress levels in response to their actions I was fired from my job. I sued.

Employment disputes in the legal system are very hit or miss. Most of the time a wrongful discharge lawsuit doesn't make it to trial. Among those that do will typically get anywhere from a 100k to several million dollars along with a guilty verdict. Being fired due to ones existence among a protected class of individuals is something juries will reward quite highly so long as the evidence is there to back it up. Ones race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexuality, physical disability, etc. all being things that an average jury member can associate with to some degree or imagine experiencing. Cognitive disabilities are an entirely different thing. Trials are extremely rare for those and rewards are almost nonexistent.

If you get fired because of the color of your skin, your gender, or your age and suffer cognitively as a result and were unable to find work after the fact due to said suffering, juries are often very sympathetic/empathetic to that. They'll reward you back pay, pain and suffering, front pay, etc. If, like me, you get fired because you have a cognitive variance that jury members are incapable of experiencing or imagining then they find themselves unable to demonstrate any feelings of empathy/sympathy.

Hundreds of people were used for multiple mock juries by my lawyer to determine how a jury during a trial would respond to the evidence to best decide if settlement or trial was the best avenue for my case. Hundreds. Despite the overwhelming majority of them agreeing that my federal rights were violated, I was wrongly discharged, that is was due to my disability, and that my coworkers had created a hostile work environment, only a couple of them actually felt I deserved any kind of settlement from it. They were quickly silenced by the majority. They said I shouldn't get back pay because I should of just gone and gotten another job. Even when it was explained to them that I kept getting turned away from job interviews because my disability kept coming up or how individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder have a roughly 85% unemployment rate with significant difficulties in obtaining work they still responded the same way. They also felt I didn't deserve anything for pain and suffering because I only lost a job. In this case they felt losing a job shouldn't cause suffering. This all being because they couldn't comprehend what it was like to be me. They couldn't empathize and so their lack of feeling caused them to assume there was any lack of feeling on my part as well. If I had been fired because of any other reason then back pay and pain and suffering would have been understandable to them because they would have been able to see themselves in my exact position. If I had gone to trial I would have won the case, but I would have likely gotten no money at all out of it. I had to settle.

People cannot empathize with what they cannot understand. This is why empathy can be perceived as rare in certain circumstances. This is also why there is no such thing as an impartial or unbiased jury.
Atla

Post by Atla »

FranknBerry wrote: September 7th, 2021, 1:48 pm
That doesn't answer the question. What is "normal" is relative. With how perception works a person could easily perceive their own reaction to others emotional states as not being the same as how others react. This bringing about a perception that they are not "normal" in how they empathize with others resulting in a belief they "feel" the emotions of others more strongly than others or that they are literally feeling the emotions of others. Our inability to ever actually perceive the world like any other means we can't ever know if how we perceive or react is truly any different than any other. We can perceive what is typical to be atypical. This begs the question as to whether there is any difference at all between empathy and empath's beyond our perceptions of them.
From what I've seen and read, most people really don't automatically absorb and experience the emotions of others around them, so we really can divide people into two groups here.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

I would say it’s a continuum rather than distinct groups.
FranknBerry

Post by FranknBerry »

Atla wrote: September 8th, 2021, 10:33 am
From what I've seen and read, most people really don't automatically absorb and experience the emotions of others around them, so we really can divide people into two groups here.
What is seen and read are subjective perceptual translations. Subjectively some people like coconut and others don't. The coconut itself, however, is neither good or bad in "nature". Regardless of how we each perceive it there is no change to the actual thing itself. This behavior we call empathy can be perceived in a lot of varied ways as well. Every time I explain to someone that I don't like green bean salad they always respond by saying it's because I haven't tried theirs yet. People are incapable of accurately measuring their own perceptions in relation to others. We often do the same thing as others but perceive our own way of doing it as different.

Perceptually there can be a division into two groups. There could be divisions even further than that. An infinite number of divisions can be created in regards to perception. My question is whether in the absence of perception there exists any variance between the two concepts. Are they the same thing simply perceived as separate, or truly two variant behaviors branching from just one. Could a way of determining such a thing even be devised?
Atla

Post by Atla »

FranknBerry wrote: September 8th, 2021, 8:21 pm
What is seen and read are subjective perceptual translations. Subjectively some people like coconut and others don't. The coconut itself, however, is neither good or bad in "nature". Regardless of how we each perceive it there is no change to the actual thing itself. This behavior we call empathy can be perceived in a lot of varied ways as well. Every time I explain to someone that I don't like green bean salad they always respond by saying it's because I haven't tried theirs yet. People are incapable of accurately measuring their own perceptions in relation to others. We often do the same thing as others but perceive our own way of doing it as different.

Perceptually there can be a division into two groups. There could be divisions even further than that. An infinite number of divisions can be created in regards to perception. My question is whether in the absence of perception there exists any variance between the two concepts. Are they the same thing simply perceived as separate, or truly two variant behaviors branching from just one. Could a way of determining such a thing even be devised?
Yeah yeah we can think about anything in an infinite number of ways etc.

So again, from what I've seen, read, personally experienced, we can divide humans into two quite different groups (with little continuum between them), those who automatically absorb the emotions of others and those who don't.
FranknBerry

Post by FranknBerry »

Atla wrote: September 9th, 2021, 10:23 am

So again, from what I've seen, read, personally experienced, we can divide humans into two quite different groups (with little continuum between them), those who automatically absorb the emotions of others and those who don't.
yeah yeah, you perceive things in that particular way, but is that perceptual division an accurate measure of how things are in "reality"?
Atla

Post by Atla »

FranknBerry wrote: September 9th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Atla wrote: September 9th, 2021, 10:23 am

yeah yeah, you perceive things in that particular way, but is that perceptual division an accurate measure of how things are in "reality"?
Is diving humans into male and female with little continuum between them an accurate measure of how things are in "reality"? What's your point?
OneGeist
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel Chomsky Marx

Post by OneGeist »

I think like most things empathy is a spectrum and we all fall somewhere on the scale. I understand your meaning though. There is definitely a lack of emotional understanding. Our Emotional intelligence is not nurtured or revered in any way. Often the opposite, showing to much empathy can label you stupid, naïve or worse. Our emotional well being is the only thing that will stick with us and guide us through every endeavor. It's the foundation to our mental stability. Yet not much is done to help us understand and strengthen this as children.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

OneGeist wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 3:14 pm I think like most things empathy is a spectrum and we all fall somewhere on the scale. I understand your meaning though. There is definitely a lack of emotional understanding. Our Emotional intelligence is not nurtured or revered in any way. Often the opposite, showing to much empathy can label you stupid, naïve or worse. Our emotional well being is the only thing that will stick with us and guide us through every endeavor. It's the foundation to our mental stability. Yet not much is done to help us understand and strengthen this as children.
I could not agree more. As kids, we get pretty much only "facts", without much attempt to attach meaning to them, and no training on how to decide how they should impact us. We get shown the world as if it is objective, pretty much ignoring the reality that our experience, our existence in the world, is subjective. We should be studying philosophy and psychology all along, being shown how to be happy and to contribute to the happiness of others, which is a lot more valuable than much of what we are taught in school.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

There is sometimes just TOO MUCH emotional empathy.It often leads to people following the wrong ideas and leaders.
The German people had far too much emotional empathy with the spirit of the German nation and this made them blind to the persecutions of others.
IN the same way Americans, and Brits; Afghans and Zairiearns all share too much emotional empathy with whom they see as their "own kind", that the world is in a perpetual state of tyrrany and conflict.

It's a shame that this massive, and unprecedented in the animal world, amount of emotional empathy could not be more widely directed at the earth and its ecosystems.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream