The contribution of the extinction of other hominids to human exceptionalism

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Steve3007

The contribution of the extinction of other hominids to human exceptionalism

Post by Steve3007 »

The study of fossil and anthropological records suggests that until somewhere around 40,000 years ago we were not the only species of hominids on the planet. Evidence suggests that there were several others. Most famous are perhaps homo erectus and homo neanderthalensis. They were far more closely related to us than our closest extant relatives (chimps and bonobos) from whom we split around 7 million years ago.

We don't know for sure why there is now only one species of the genus homo on the planet, but has this very recently formed gap between us and our relatives been partly responsible for our sense of exceptionalism? It is a common thread in human culture to regard ourselves as fundamentally different from the rest of the animal kingdom (and often to not even acknowledge our membership of that kingdom). Would things be different if we could more clearly see the continuum between us and other animals? Would all kinds of debates, such as the debate over the abortion of single-celled human embryos while we happily kill fully grown examples of other species, be different?
PoeticUniverse

Re: The contribution of the extinction of other hominids to human exceptionalism

Post by PoeticUniverse »

And the Denisovians, too. We mated with all of them and so have some of their features. We also prevent offspring by using birth control.
Tegularius

Re: The contribution of the extinction of other hominids to human exceptionalism

Post by Tegularius »

Steve3007 wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 10:56 am The study of fossil and anthropological records suggests that until somewhere around 40,000 years ago we were not the only species of hominids on the planet. Evidence suggests that there were several others. Most famous are perhaps homo erectus and homo neanderthalensis. They were far more closely related to us than our closest extant relatives (chimps and bonobos) from whom we split around 7 million years ago.

We don't know for sure why there is now only one species of the genus homo on the planet, but has this very recently formed gap between us and our relatives been partly responsible for our sense of exceptionalism? It is a common thread in human culture to regard ourselves as fundamentally different from the rest of the animal kingdom (and often to not even acknowledge our membership of that kingdom). Would things be different if we could more clearly see the continuum between us and other animals? Would all kinds of debates, such as the debate over the abortion of single-celled human embryos while we happily kill fully grown examples of other species, be different?
I don't think so; that comparison is too long ago to allow us a sense of exceptionalism. It's the scriptural accounts which have granted us that dubious distinction, inculcating the view that we're both separate and superior to the rest of creation. Only very recently have we discovered other hominids having once existed. Up to then, we weren't aware of any other kind, which never impeded our sense of superiority, even against other historical contemporaries we denigrated as being inferior for whatever reason we found convenient.

The Neanderthal saga is very enlightening compared to what we thought we knew about them, causing most of our connotations of exceptionalism to evaporate.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-nature-of- ... mp=sch-nea
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tegularius wrote:
Steve3007 wrote:We don't know for sure why there is now only one species of the genus homo on the planet, but has this very recently formed gap between us and our relatives been partly responsible for our sense of exceptionalism?
I don't think so; that comparison is too long ago to allow us a sense of exceptionalism.
What comparison are you referring to here?

As I said, my point was that the large gap between us and our nearest extant relatives could be part of what gives us this sense of exceptionalism. That doesn't require us to know why that large gap exists, even if we have found out why recently. It just requires the gap to exist.
It's the scriptural accounts which have granted us that dubious distinction, inculcating the view that we're both separate and superior to the rest of creation.
The scriptural accounts seem to me at least as much a symptom as a cause. I propose that our sense of exceptionalism, caused in part by that large gap, is what leads us to create various mythologies which write that sense of exceptionalism down, call that writing "scripture" and thereby give it a sense of authority. So the mythologies that are written down, with that writing sometimes referred to as scripture, certainly lend the exceptionalism an air of authority and objective, universal truth. But I'd say that they aren't its original cause.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tegularius wrote:The Neanderthal saga is very enlightening compared to what we thought we knew about them, causing most of our connotations of exceptionalism to evaporate.
I agree that the actual evidence we have about the characteristics of Homo Neanderthals and, for example, the evidence that there was some interbreeding between Neanderthals and Sapiens in interesting and enlightening. I agree that arguably it should cause most of our connotations of exceptionalism to evaporate. But I doubt whether it will. I don't think tens of thousands of years of conditioning, solidified by the resultant mythologies that we've embedded into our cultures, are so easily changed.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think one thing that is interesting to consider as a thought experiment is what would happen to various ethical debates if those extinct hominids re-appeared, or had never died out.

I think debates over things like abortion and the eating of meat are interesting to consider in a world where there is not such a large gap between us and our nearest extant relatives. For any given gap it's possible that a species could exist in that gap. There's no physical reason why it shouldn't. So it's possible that there could have been an almost continuous range of species between, say, us and cows. We'd then have to draw a more-or-less arbitrary line on that species continuum and declare something like:

"It is permissible to farm and eat everything on this side of the line and it is abhorrent to do so to everything on the other side of the line."

The large species gap that obtains in reality masks this arbitrary nature of our moral positions on issues like this and allows us to pretend that there is something more solidly based in publicly verifiable empirical fact - more objective - about them.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Steve3007 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 4:32 am
Tegularius wrote:The Neanderthal saga is very enlightening compared to what we thought we knew about them, causing most of our connotations of exceptionalism to evaporate.
I agree that the actual evidence we have about the characteristics of Homo Neanderthals and, for example, the evidence that there was some interbreeding between Neanderthals and Sapiens in interesting and enlightening. I agree that arguably it should cause most of our connotations of exceptionalism to evaporate. But I doubt whether it will. I don't think tens of thousands of years of conditioning, solidified by the resultant mythologies that we've embedded into our cultures, are so easily changed.
True, but that mindset has consequences! Error is habitual in humans and most often overrides whatever truth or fact comes to light if it infringes on their accepted dogma. Error, as it conforms to the status quo, is what immediately gains acceptance; truth has always been an uphill battle. It won't be long before we pay dearly for a distinction which hardly ever manages to correct itself. The most exceptional thing about humans, they have created thought infrastructures and systems while forcing nature into a subordinate role. Nietzsche called man a sick animal; he couldn't have known how sick!
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Steve3007 wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 10:56 am The study of fossil and anthropological records suggests that until somewhere around 40,000 years ago we were not the only species of hominids on the planet. Evidence suggests that there were several others. Most famous are perhaps homo erectus and homo neanderthalensis. They were far more closely related to us than our closest extant relatives (chimps and bonobos) from whom we split around 7 million years ago.

I suspect had the other species in the genus homo survived, there would still be a gap, but we wouldn't be alone on our side of it.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Your link is not accessible outside of Canada.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

GE Morton wrote:I suspect had the other species in the genus homo survived, there would still be a gap, but we wouldn't be alone on our side of it.
I agree that so long as the concept of species is meaningful there is a gap between species. And if the genetic distance between us and homo erectus, homo neanderthalensis, et al, was very close compared to our distance from extant relatives like chimps, then yes, we might have a situation where we're one of a close cluster of species - a bit like the "local group" of galaxies - separated by a relatively large genetic gap from the nearest other cluster of species.

My wider point though was to consider the concept of species in general. For any gap between two species it's possible that another species could fill that gap. That's why I think it's accurate to talk of species as a continuum, or at least a quasi-continuum. So there could potentially have been a continuum of species between us and any other species. As I said, I think it's interesting to look at some of the standard ethical debates in that light.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

PoeticUniverse wrote:...We also prevent offspring by using birth control.
This is true, but it's not generally regarded as an ethical issue on the same scale as abortion. The "every sperm is sacred" view is much rarer than the "every embryo is sacred" view.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream