Are cultures collective delusions?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Ecurb

Re: Are cultures collective delusions?

Post by Ecurb »

Humans have created themselves. They did this through "culture", without which we would not be human.

Our modes of thinking are influenced (even determined) by language (which is the most signigicant of human cultural developments). In fact, it appears likely that language developed in conjunction with man's biological evolution from non-human homonids to homo sapiens. As proto languages developed, they probably had adaptive advantages, so larger, more complex frontal lobes in the human brain evolved. (i.e Those homonids with a greater capacity for language survived better and left more descendants than those with a lesser capacity.) Without the cultural development of language, human biological evolution might have been quite different. (Of course we don't know the exact sequence of these events - it's speculative. However the fossil record definitely shows dramatic increases in the size of the frontal area of the brain when humans evolved from other homonids.)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
I see this quote from John 1 as a metaphor for the "creation" of humans. "God" represents "culture". Culture, after all, is "supernatural" (i.e. meta-biological or "artificial").

The role of language in determining thought is still controversial (the Chomskyites tend to see language as biologically determined. as opposed to the Sapir-Whorf adherents.) There can be no doubt, however, that human knowledge (including, but not limited to, scientific knowledge) is gained through reading (or listening to lectures). Most of what we "know" is therefore "culturaly determined".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

tsihcrana wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:21 pm Strip a culture of it's pointless practices, unfounded beliefs, mythologies, empty traditions, ideologies, superstitions, religions, fashions etc and what you have left is no culture at all, but instead empirical truth.
If you strip away from culture all of the things that make it what it is, then, as you say, "what you have left is no culture at all". The items you list are some of the components of 'culture'. Why would you want to be rid of them? What is your understanding of 'culture', that you think to strip it of its 'culturedom'? Are you hoping for something like 'objective' 🤮 culture?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:34 pm However culture can be boundless and open to all who would wish to fourish and enjoy it. Musical culture provided it is not bounded as "black" or "white" is avaliable to enrich the lives of any who appraciate it. Art and literature, (provided again the it is not bounded) can be free to all.
True enough! While culture includes music, art and literature, as you say, it also includes and embraces politics, science (the discipline, not its subject matter), mathematics, and philosophy. Everything human-created is part of human culture. [No, I don't include bridges, for example, even though humans create them. I mean to refer to culturo-mental (???) things.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:58 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:34 pm However culture can be boundless and open to all who would wish to fourish and enjoy it. Musical culture provided it is not bounded as "black" or "white" is avaliable to enrich the lives of any who appraciate it. Art and literature, (provided again the it is not bounded) can be free to all.
True enough! While culture includes music, art and literature, as you say, it also includes and embraces politics, science (the discipline, not its subject matter), mathematics, and philosophy. Everything human-created is part of human culture. [No, I don't include bridges, for example, even though humans create them. I mean to refer to culturo-mental (???) things.]
That is not what I said.
All the things you list to "embrace" white culture can be found the world over.
Actually bridges are also culture as is Coke cans, screwdrivers and tombs.
Archaeology calls that "Material Culture".
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:53 am
tsihcrana wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:21 pm Strip a culture of it's pointless practices, unfounded beliefs, mythologies, empty traditions, ideologies, superstitions, religions, fashions etc and what you have left is no culture at all, but instead empirical truth.
If you strip away from culture all of the things that make it what it is, then, as you say, "what you have left is no culture at all". The items you list are some of the components of 'culture'. Why would you want to be rid of them? What is your understanding of 'culture', that you think to strip it of its 'culturedom'? Are you hoping for something like 'objective' 🤮 culture?
My point wasn't that if you strip away what makes culture culture you no longer have culture, but that everything that constitutes culture is purely arbitrary (as per all the things I listed) and this was the basis of my (mistaken) proposition - that if culture is entirely consistent of arbitrary value is there not some degree of delusion involved in buying into cultural norms. I chose the word 'delusion' (poorly) because I felt at the time that arbitrarily ascribing value was akin to arbitrarily ascribing reality (I've since conceded that point, but mention it here again for clarification).
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Ecurb wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:41 am Most of what we "know" is therefore "culturaly determined".
As I already mentioned elsewhere, I don't think it's accurate to include language in what constitutes a culture. Idiosyncratic differences in language constitute culture. So while the English language doesn't fall under the label of culture, the 'way' Americans speak it relative to Australians would.

When we're talking about the raw definition-meanings of words they're the same for Americans, Australians, Canadians, English, Irish and so on. So the language itself isn't something that allows us to differentiate between those cultures. It's only in the pronunciation, inflection, idiosyncratic phrasings and so forth that differences emerge, and these differences we call culture.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

We can define words however we wish. I was using the standard anthropoogical definition of culture -- but there's no point in arguing about definitions.
stevie

Post by stevie »

tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:54 am
stevie wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:29 am
tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:14 am I definitely disagree with you that culture is necessary for cognition. A person can develop notions about the world and perform mental functions thereupon entirely independent from all cultural influence....
Hmh ... I don't think so because a particular language and all kinds of corresponding linguistic expressions are an essential part of a particular culture and I can't see how conceptual thinking could be " entirely independent" of learning a particular "native" language.
Language 'expresses' thoughts/conceptions. It doesn't necessarily originate them. ...
That hypothesis depends on being able to provide evidence for a difference between 'language as thought' (meaning imputed to visible signs or audible sounds) and thought being expressed by language.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

stevie wrote: September 28th, 2021, 5:55 pm
tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:54 am
stevie wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:29 am
tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:14 am I definitely disagree with you that culture is necessary for cognition. A person can develop notions about the world and perform mental functions thereupon entirely independent from all cultural influence....
Hmh ... I don't think so because a particular language and all kinds of corresponding linguistic expressions are an essential part of a particular culture and I can't see how conceptual thinking could be " entirely independent" of learning a particular "native" language.
Language 'expresses' thoughts/conceptions. It doesn't necessarily originate them. ...
That hypothesis depends on being able to provide evidence for a difference between 'language as thought' (meaning imputed to visible signs or audible sounds) and thought being expressed by language.
As I've previously stated, I don't see how you can establish a symbol-object (word-concept) relationship without having an already extant concept to relate the symbol to. How can words arise prior to the concepts they're applied to? You need to first distinguish a pattern before you can name it or describe it. I don't see how it could work any other way. How could you name something you've not yet conceived of at some other cognitive level?
stevie

Post by stevie »

tsihcrana
To me it appears as if there is an unbridgeable gap for our mutual understanding exactly because our history of conceptual conditionings (caused by our different cultures?) is different. In order to bridge that gap I think it would be necessary to transparently delineate all of our individual conceptual "learning histories" which I think would be an unnecessary effort without benefit.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:58 am True enough! While culture includes music, art and literature, as you say, it also includes and embraces politics, science (the discipline, not its subject matter), mathematics, and philosophy. Everything human-created is part of human culture. [No, I don't include bridges, for example, even though humans create them. I mean to refer to culturo-mental (???) things.]
Sculptor1 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 12:36 pm That is not what I said.
I think you might've mis-read what I wrote...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Easy to mistake "while" for "white" I suppose, but strange to seriously believe that you would have been using the word "white" there. Apart from anything else there would then have been a full stop after "say".
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:40 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:58 am True enough! While culture includes music, art and literature, as you say, it also includes and embraces politics, science (the discipline, not its subject matter), mathematics, and philosophy. Everything human-created is part of human culture. [No, I don't include bridges, for example, even though humans create them. I mean to refer to culturo-mental (???) things.]
Sculptor1 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 12:36 pm That is not what I said.
I think you might've mis-read what I wrote...?
If all the things that you said embrace white culture, are in fact found the world over then they are not "white" but human.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Maybe the solution is to copy the word "while" (blue one) from PC's post, paste it into MS Word or something and blow it up really big.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:53 am If you strip away from culture all of the things that make it what it is, then, as you say, "what you have left is no culture at all". The items you list are some of the components of 'culture'. Why would you want to be rid of them? What is your understanding of 'culture', that you think to strip it of its 'culturedom'? Are you hoping for something like 'objective' 🤮 culture?
tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:00 pm My point was ... that everything that constitutes culture is purely arbitrary...
Arbitrary by what standards? If we look at culture, from a formal and logical/scientific perspective, pretty much everything about it seems random or 'arbitrary'. But that's because we're using the wrong criteria for judgment. Cultural matters often make sense only from a cultural point of view. Some don't make sense anyway, even by cultural standards. That's part - only part! - of what culture is about.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream