What Makes Philosophy Interesting and Important in Life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
stevie

Re: What Makes Philosophy Interesting and Important in Life?

Post by stevie »

stevie wrote: November 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
JackDaydream wrote: November 25th, 2021, 7:32 pm @stevie
The internal world of experiences and its expression by verbal means is a central aspect of human experiences, but it is important to think about what lies behind it.
I think that expression reveals that there is no possibility of 'communication about', i.e. conversation . That expression "it is important to think about what lies behind it" reveals the speculative nature of JackDaydream's aproach.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@stevie

Of course, to a large extent my own approach to philosophy is based on speculation, but, not entirely, because as was apparent in another thread I do see logic as being extremely important, as well as the findings in the empirical sciences. Beyond these, I am not sure what approaches there can be philosophy discussion.

The logical positivist perspective was about the way in which ideas are limited by the scope of language, and Wittgenstein recognized this too. However, in 'Language, Truth and Logic', Ayer acknowledged that human beings are going to speculate. The point may be that it is worth being honest with others and with ourselves about speculating. How can humans access 'truth' which is beyond speculation, even if it is based on intuition? Even evidence based research has some biases, including the role of the participant observer.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:45 pm @stevie

Of course, to a large extent my own approach to philosophy is based on speculation, but ...
There is no "but" that would not qualify as speculation.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JackDaydream wrote: November 27th, 2021, 5:54 am @Sy Borg

My own appreciation of music is more about inner experience and is definitely not as a 'social lubricant'. I often lie down and close my eyes and sometimes I see imagery when listening to it. I have some experiences of synthasaesia and I can particular remember this happening when listening to the music of The Fall and The Inspiral Carpets. I like to be able to draw upon such images in making art or in writing fiction, although I have not done much of this in the last 2 to 3 years because I had too much stress. Apart from losing my job, my mother was ill and died about 7 and a half weeks ago. But, now I am wishing to find a creative pathway in life.

I am glad to hear that you have read Colin Wilson because he was one of the writers who has influenced me the most, especially his book, 'The Outsider'. Reading this was such a turning point and it was this book which lead me towards others, such as Nietzsche. What I like so much about Colin Wilson is his own exploration of creativity and the associated mental states involved in the process. Earlier this year, I read his final book 'Super Consciousness' and this focuses on peak experiences. Although these cannot just be gained at will, I do see these as being extremely important. Even though philosophy is about explanations, heightened states of consciousness are part of a quest for truth which may run parallel to it.
CW is brilliant and fascinating, but I have mostly forgotten what he wrote, other than something to the effect of, "To disprove the claim that 'All crows are black' one need only find one white crow" (or something like that).

One thing is certain. Anyone who says that peak experiences don't matter has not had one. It's common for people to think they have had peak experiences, confusing them with exceptional flow states during acts of creation. When you advise that those flow states are not at all like peak experiences, they usually assume mental illness.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Whatever that may be is of secondary importance compared to the reality we're in. Philosophizing is tantamount to mythologizing and, more often than not, mystifying...most of it rehashed and recycled; good only to feed academics.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Tegularius, I agree that morphology and environment set the limits on our experiences.

Still, there's still a considerable number of possible experiences people and other animals can have within those limitations. I think of the situation as less about primary or secondary importance as fulfilling needs and wants as per Maslow.

I think of philosophising* as standard human behaviour. That's the human advantage - being able to understand what's going on around them in detail. Humans didn't need to work out everything about their reality. Early humans just needed to understand situations better than competing species.

Still, the impulse to better understand continues apace from the first time young children flummox their parents with tricky existential questions ... Mummy, why do people die?

* as opposed to the academic field of philosophy, that informs legal, medical, welfare and other professionals.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@stevie
Do you believe that it is possible to go beyond the 'ifs' and 'buts' which arise in our thinking about life and existence? There seem to be so many exceptions to rules, and, especially to black and white thinking, or even logic.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Jack
Do you believe that it is possible to go beyond the 'ifs' and 'buts' which arise in our thinking about life and existence? There seem to be so many exceptions to rules, and, especially to black and white thinking, or even logic.
“When a contradiction is impossible to resolve except by a lie, then we know that it is really a door.”
― Simone Weil

As I've seen in the world, most prefer to argue the duality of black and white. I'd love to meet those who have impartially experienced their contradiction and experienced the door. I did this once. I think that is the most important function of philosophy. it makes it possible to experience the door.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick-A
Questions of duality and grey areas are so complex. I struggle with them on a daily basis, and this is probably why I come to forum discussions. Personally, I see so many shades, and colours. I am not of the view that there may be basic philosophy questions and areas for questioning. However, I am not a complete relativist, but there does appear to be so much complexity in life, and attention to unique particulars may be so important. The understanding of universal aspects and the unique may need to blended in so many aspects of life, including moral and psychological understanding.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:54 pm @Nick-A
Questions of duality and grey areas are so complex. I struggle with them on a daily basis, and this is probably why I come to forum discussions. Personally, I see so many shades, and colours. I am not of the view that there may be basic philosophy questions and areas for questioning. However, I am not a complete relativist, but there does appear to be so much complexity in life, and attention to unique particulars may be so important. The understanding of universal aspects and the unique may need to blended in so many aspects of life, including moral and psychological understanding.
I think that that it is normal to try and explain gray areas by rationalizations. Simone is describing what can happen when a contradiction is experienced without rationalization.

Say a person has belief in higher ideals and Man's love for Man. Then becomes a closet rapist. He says one thing while doing another. Simone said that when a person receives the influences of their higher conscious parts of their essence but cannot stop indulging their lower parts, they are experiencing a contradiction if they do so without a lie to justify it, it leads to the door of understanding
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick-A
The idea of the 'closet rapist' is an interesting one and , perhaps one can be the rapist of one's own self, or the inner saboteur, through self destructive mechanismsTo some extent, each person may live with a certain amount of contradictions and some people may not even be aware of these. The higher and lower aspects of self can be blended in such a subtle way, and that is why I think that Jung's idea of 'the shadow' is so important. Probably, each of us carries a shadow side and it needs to be focused upon personality before it can even be disclosed with others. We may be individuals wandering outside of Plato's cave still hiding in great big dark shadows. Perhaps, it is necessary to work and understand the self, and it's dark side, as the first step in liberating oneself for healing of internal wounds and reaching out to the suffering of other human beings.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:21 pm @Nick-A
The idea of the 'closet rapist' is an interesting one and , perhaps one can be the rapist of one's own self, or the inner saboteur, through self destructive mechanismsTo some extent, each person may live with a certain amount of contradictions and some people may not even be aware of these. The higher and lower aspects of self can be blended in such a subtle way, and that is why I think that Jung's idea of 'the shadow' is so important. Probably, each of us carries a shadow side and it needs to be focused upon personality before it can even be disclosed with others. We may be individuals wandering outside of Plato's cave still hiding in great big dark shadows. Perhaps, it is necessary to work and understand the self, and it's dark side, as the first step in liberating oneself for healing of internal wounds and reaching out to the suffering of other human beings.
The concept of the shadow as I understand it, deals with suppressed personality and I agree that healing the personality is extremely important. However the philosophy which concerns me deals with the essence of a person or what we are born with. It deals with balancing the tripartite soul.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Sy Borg wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:20 amTegularius, I agree that morphology and environment set the limits on our experiences.

Still, there's still a considerable number of possible experiences people and other animals can have within those limitations. I think of the situation as less about primary or secondary importance as fulfilling needs and wants as per Maslow.
Yes, there are many kinds of experiences possible; that may include some that haven’t yet been experienced. But if philosophy is primarily a matter of fulfilling needs, then even the Nick-A types are philosophers and not the dead-ends they prove themselves to be. Signing on to a needs dogma encompasses those impossible to argue against. When philosophy becomes personal it shows itself as less debatable, more theistic and intransigent.
Sy Borg wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:20 amI think of philosophising* as standard human behaviour. That's the human advantage - being able to understand what's going on around them in detail. Humans didn't need to work out everything about their reality. Early humans just needed to understand situations better than competing species.
Again I agree but so is myth, religion and every kind of fiction. Like all of these, philosophy has done nothing to make the world any better. To put it bluntly, you’d think after a few thousand years of philosophizing, the world would be in much better shape. Nothing of the kind! The world seems to be sinking in its own morass of aberrations...things that simply make no sense any more, ultra vires to any of the laws of logic.

Philosophy exists only as a discipline denoted by semantics and linguistics, etc., and almost nothing of heuristics which would obviate most of the crap inherent in all our accumulated wisdom.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Tegularius wrote: November 29th, 2021, 1:19 am
Sy Borg wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:20 amTegularius, I agree that morphology and environment set the limits on our experiences.

Yes, there are many kinds of experiences possible; that may include some that haven’t yet been experienced. But if philosophy is primarily a matter of fulfilling needs, then even the Nick-A types are philosophers and not the dead-ends they prove themselves to be. Signing on to a needs dogma encompasses those impossible to argue against. When philosophy becomes personal it shows itself as less debatable, more theistic and intransigent.
Sy Borg wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:20 amI think of philosophising* as standard human behaviour. That's the human advantage - being able to understand what's going on around them in detail. Humans didn't need to work out everything about their reality. Early humans just needed to understand situations better than competing species.
Again I agree but so is myth, religion and every kind of fiction. Like all of these, philosophy has done nothing to make the world any better. To put it bluntly, you’d think after a few thousand years of philosophizing, the world would be in much better shape. Nothing of the kind! The world seems to be sinking in its own morass of aberrations...things that simply make no sense any more, ultra vires to any of the laws of logic.

Philosophy exists only as a discipline denoted by semantics and linguistics, etc., and almost nothing of heuristics which would obviate most of the crap inherent in all our accumulated wisdom.
As a matter of interest, why did you choose to join a philosophy forum? Based on these words, you don't seem to like the idea of people thinking about life, the universe and everything. However, based on your body of posts, you are clearly extremely interested yourself.

You are imagining that philosophy is global when it is regional. It's true that, as has been the case throughout history, philosophy (along with every other discipline or practice) has not unseated the robber barons that inevitably rise to the top. It seems unfair to consider the state of the world to be philosophy's failure.

Personally, I'd blame natural selection, even if humans don't like to refer to their own societal dynamics as natural selection, even though it follows the same principles. You know how it is, humans don't like to think they are animals. They imagine they are something more, something special. Two legs good, four legs bad.

They forget that there was a time when trilobites ruled the Earth, capable of sensing the world better than any other organism. Just like us. I expect that, if trilobites were self conscious, they would have thought themselves divine too, the ultimate expression of creation made in the image of their trilobite deities.

The fact is that evolution doesn't care if an organism is happy or comfortable, just as long as it survives long enough to produce viable offspring. Ditto humans, whom are tending to be troubled in the 2020s, but the birth rate remains double the death rate. Interesting times ahead.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick-A
So how does one balance the tripartite aspects of self. Does it involve self mastery, which is important but not always that easy. Based on my own reading of Jung, balance may involve the balance between sensations, emotions, rationality and intuition. Each person has these balanced differently and usually has an inferior one and a stronger one. The ideal may be about being able to draw upon all of them as a way of integral balance.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream