Green Energy Philosophers

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
mrdim
Premium Member

Green Energy Philosophers

Post by mrdim »

Today, (or at least very recently) Bill Gates has said that the majority of startups that tackle climate change and green energy, will fail, but the few that succeed are enough to secure a better future.

My idea starts with communities, where primarily people with backgrounds in conservation, ecology, climate change, etc, should post their thoughts in length, including submitting paper proposals, about any philosophical subject on a community forum. It would, as the title suggests, be called: Green Energy philosophers.

My reasoning for this is as follows:

Humanity can save the environment, but what comes next after that stage? We are constantly seeking to augment and improve our reality beyond what nature has to offer, so saving the environment, though a noble goal, is not enough without further philosophy and ideas, so that we can keep on and continue to return to an environment that is plausible given the scope of our ambitions. It is not just the environment end-of, it is everything that supports us.

What are your thoughts on gathering philosophical insights from people who are invested in the field of climate change and etc.

If Bill Gates is right, then such a startup or community would fail, because most are likely to fail. What are the reasons for this?

Thank you for your time.
All the best.
ernestm

Re: Green Energy Philosophers

Post by ernestm »

Well I have to admire your enthusiasm. That said, the engagement of the public in forums on the topic of climate change has a few positive benefits at the personal level, such as making people feel better about recycling and reducing waste.

On the other hand in the face of the larger causes of global warming, such as coal power and petroleum-powered vehicles, it really doesn't make any difference. At the current rate, the arctic sea ice is expected to be entirely gone in 2035. The SMithsonian reported this three years ago, and all studies since have concurred with the prediction. The scale of the necessary change would entail either closing all coal powered plants or taking all petroleum vehicles off the road in eight years, are totally impossible in a democratic society which is not educated enough to believe scientific analysis properly. The rate and result of change are rather undeniable. But what has instead happened is that Trump withdrew from the Paris Accord. China and other nations now don't trust the USA to keep whatever commitments it does make now. Hence they are not taking the drastic steps either, because they rightly believe the USA will probable exploit the economic sacrifices they would have to make.

With Biden's current popularity rating it seems highly unlikely he will win another election, whereas to make the required changes in time before the Arctic Sea ice is gone, there would have to be a supermajority, that is, both the house and senate, and the President, would have to be democrats. That would enable the 2/3 majority to pass a constitutional amendment saying the policy won't be changed by future administrations, and that's the only actual way to concur with the demands of China and other nations to ensure the USA does not back out of the Paris Accord again.

When the Arctic Sea ice is gone, the homeostatic mechanism controlling seasons in the Northern Hemisphere will be lost, and the world's ocean currents will change so much there will be climate catastrophe to a scale not known since the last extinction event. Sadly as this is a philosophical forum I have to shamefacedly state the only solution to preventing the death of billions is now a Marxist revolution, and given the GOP's resistance to unquestionable fact even that is likely to fail.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@mrdim

One of the biggest problems which is not being considered enough in debates is that petroleum sources are not going to last indefinitely. This calls for thinking about energy resources and it may require a shift in the way resources have been used. The focus sometimes appears to be on climate change but it may be that this is simply the most obvious problem but the issues of ecology may be deeper and wider. It may also be about looking at the values, especially economic ethics, as the emphasis on economic growth, as argued by E F Schumacher in, 'Small is Beautiful'.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

JackDaydream wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 5:35 pm @mrdim
Thats poetic fancy in the face of what has now become inevitable doom. As I say, other nations causing the most problems have made clear their position on the USA's vacillation, and the only way to resolve it is via a constitutional amendment.

What has happened is that the time for calling for change before some 'tipping point' has passed. The tipping point has come and gone during COVID. Now instead of saying 'we can start to change now and make bigger changes later,' the new political position is :things as they are its become too late for us to do anything significant anyway so why bother." There are some nations in Europe proceeding with more idealistic hopes but given the scale of the problem, they really are not going to save the world from climactic catastrophe. Beyond any possibility of revolution changing the mindset in the USA, it now appears there will have to be a world war after the chaos becomes so severe that the only thing left to do is hate those at fault. Which will include the USA at the top of the list.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@ernestm
I think that you are right about that earlier ideas being 'poetic fancy'. The situation appears so critical and it may be that the situation appears so dire that many try to avoid thinking about it at all.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

JackDaydream wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 5:53 pm @ernestm
I think that you are right about that earlier ideas being 'poetic fancy'. The situation appears so critical and it may be that the situation appears so dire that many try to avoid thinking about it at all.
Well it's good to take personal responsibility, I have to admire that. I do wish there was some way to make a public statement that a constitutional amendment is required, but the people who are ignoring the need the most are the politicians who continue on their privately motivated vendettas to incriminate the opposing party without any attempt whatsoever to recognize the only solution now available.
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

Thank you for your replies so far. It's getting late here and I must get some sleep, but I'll think about both of your points. I suspect that as Jack Daydream says, the issues are much wider, must be true.

If topics can be created that generate enough discussion, beyond the obvious solutions, then that means it can be an opening to greater philosophical debate, and eventually the topics created sometimes may not even resemble the original question, and go off into other areas such as metaphysics, digital identities etc.

One project that organisations are looking into, is the digital twins project, which is itself an opening to other projects.
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

As for the point that the damage is irreversible. I was not aware that the scientific consensus had reached that point to say that we need to act now, and fast. I was aware that there is agreement among scientific communities that we are facing a growing problem however.

Wherever you look, there is always conflicting research I assume.

The greatest method towards a sustainable future, might be technology. As a last ditch resort, if what enerstm says is true.

Could philosophical discussion and thinking improve our scientific methods towards speeding up simulations and technological progress?

If we are fortunate, and the problems turn out to be not as dramatic as some predictions suggest, then we will have time to speed up our innovative processes.

Sorry for the double post, it's late here.

By the way, the digital twins project is an effort to create a twin of earth for simulation purposes.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 5:53 pm The situation appears so critical and it may be that the situation appears so dire that many try to avoid thinking about it at all.
That looks like a good and accurate summary, sadly.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

My proposal has now been influenced by the posts made by a few helpful members in this topic.

What we need, is to increase the morale of the population, so that people are more likely to give money towards charitable causes.

It is like the military, because high troop morale often increases the ability and success of the force.
Obviously this isn't the military, but if community discussion groups can be created to spread higher morale towards important issues, possibly expressed by means of philosophy as well, then money can be donated based on morale and involvement.

The money would go towards the proposal to governments worldwide, that certain hypothetical funds would eventually need to be made a consideration.
Such as, a great piece of space rock hurtling into Earth. How much money would need to be put aside to deal with this eventuality?

And then obviously there is climate change. How much? 500 Billion dollars? The plan of physicist Steve Desch suggests using millions of wind powered water pumps to regenerate the ice in the Arctic.

Naturally, there are sceptics such as Paul Homewood, who calls Steve Desch a mad scientist.
Paul Homewood, in his article: Mad Scientist wants to spend 400bn to refreeze the Arctic, makes the claim that the Arctic goes through warming cycles, and that this is why the temperature anomalies of the 1940's in the Arctic occurred - - because it was going through a warming cycle.

Without digging deeper, I cannot figure out whether his statement is true. Maybe this requires help from others.

One thing that I notice in his article, is that he says two things: 1. That it is a waste of taxpayers money, and 2. That it might end up generating too much additional ice in the Arctic.

If enough money could be raised for a 'political prototype' - - that is, a prototype that is politicised, then it might encourage a greater solution to be accepted and resolutely used.

The worry is that while we are leaning towards a scientific consensus about climate change, there may be many hidden variables.
Therefore, we need risk assessments that make clear the fact that you can't know every variable.

Prototypes can be created with money raised from active communities that raise morale and output through discussions, engagement, and philosophical topics.

My background, or at least my skill, is the entertainment industry and philosophical issues relating to existential factors.

It's not really surprising, that since I can relate to Bill Gates and his role with Xbox and leisure/entertainment, I would make the proposals that I have in this topic.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The justification for saving the environment is love.
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

Love per-se is can be nebulous in my opinion, but love for what occupies the human interest, and human evolution, is what matters to me.

Besides, isn't it difficult to spread love? We live in an age where people can be affected by a sense of tragedy, and this goes back to Greek Tragedy. It is something that deeply affects our sense of right and wrong.

Morals and conscience are important. If we see something going tragically wrong, then we should at least try and respond.

Of course, this isn't about creating a viral sensation/solution or trend, it is about community engagement, hopefully encouraging a variety of perspectives.

I don't think that a sudden wave of consciousness will sweep through the human race. Perhaps what we rely on is rational engagement.

As well as that, there is a case to be made for zero sum engagement. In the modern world, there are many non- zero sum factors to take into consideration.
If human beings could accept that sometimes a zero-sum approach to responsibility and decision making is necessary, then we might make some progress.

For example, the summer ice caps melting. Is that Zero-sum or non zero sum?

Sooner or later we must simply perform a risk assessment, consider many variables, and make a decision.

Apologies for over complicating.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream