What is the most difficult part of philosophy (for you)?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

What is the most difficult part of philosophy (for you)?

Post by chewybrian »

What causes you to struggle as you try to 'do' Philosophy?

Is it understanding tough concepts?

Is it accepting unpleasant truths?

Is it putting your ideas to work in the 'real' world, living out your philosophy?

Is it trying to convince others or explain ideas to them?

Something else?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
thrasymachus

Re: What is the most difficult part of philosophy (for you)?

Post by thrasymachus »

chewybrian wrote
Two kinds of philosophy. One is about being keen to argue. Analytic philosophy is more like this because it has all too much interest juggling meanings that are in play already, and arguing becomes reaching into the common stock of what is meaningful, and this produces simply new variations of what is familiar. Not so new, it turns out. Analytic philosophy is being given a proper burial as we speak.

Then there are those who are taken up by the indeterminacy of all knowledge claims. This puts discussion at the threshold where the familiar ends and something else begins. This something else is, for me, where genuine philosophy begins. Not a painful and pointless effort to find in the bin of available thinking something that can be wrung out of it that is new. There is nothing new in this.

Science's paradigms are not philosophy's. Try explaining that to people who are so obsessed with how well science can produce cell phones that they cannot think beyond this. Philosophy is by df. beyond this.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 am What causes you to struggle as you try to 'do' Philosophy?

Is it understanding tough concepts?

Is it accepting unpleasant truths?

Is it putting your ideas to work in the 'real' world, living out your philosophy?

Something else?
The trickiest part of 'doing' philosophy for me is understanding things which aren't a good fit with my normal way of thinking. Sometimes it's like talking a different language. And I'm prone to dismissing things I can't easily get a handle on.
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 amWhat causes you to struggle as you try to 'do' Philosophy?
I think the difficulty of philosophy is the difficulty of dialogue between different viewpoints. Since human beings are so different from one another even mundane dialogues or arguments can become difficult. Philosophy ups the ante by widening and deepening each individual viewpoint (or "school").

For example, suppose two kindergarteners have different temperaments. One is choleric and one is sanguine. This will create tensions in their interaction, but since they share a great deal in common and they are both underdeveloped human beings, the tensions will be mild. But now suppose that for the next 60 years each one commits to their temperament, devises a philosophy and worldview based on it, and develops it to the utmost. When the two meet again 60 years later, the tensions and incommensurabilities between them will be wide and vast. In the same way, philosophical development leads to more arduous and protracted dialogue due to the fact that the individual schools become more complex and unique over time.

The problem is exacerbated in amateur philosophy because the participants are especially ignorant of how vastly different the axiomatic differences can truly be. This form of ignorance plays a large role on this forum, yet at the same time it is much better than places where extended dialogue cannot take place (e.g. YouTube comments).
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I once tried to read Goedel's two famous proofs. Mistake!

By the way, Goedel and Einstein were colleagues at Princeton. Einstein once said that most days the only reason he went into his office was in the hope that he would get to walk home with Kurt Goedel. Goedel became more and more eccentric as he aged, and in the end would converse only on the telephone. He sometimes conducted phone conversations with someone in the same room.

This superb New Yorker article was easier to understand than the original math (which I couldn't follow). Highly recommended:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005 ... -bandits-2
stevie

Post by stevie »

chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 am What causes you to struggle as you try to 'do' Philosophy?
I cannot claim to "do" philosophy. If I come across conceptual inspiration then fine, if not no problem. Thus no struggle.
chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 am Is it accepting unpleasant truths?
Since there is no generally accepted criterion of "truth", "truth" is no concern of mine. Applicability is relevant.
chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 am Is it putting your ideas to work in the 'real' world, living out your philosophy?
That refers to applicability. Concepts that are not applicable are irrelevant.

chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 am Is it trying to convince others or explain ideas to them?
Since I myself don't believe in ideas being "true" or "real" or representing "truth" or "reality" there is no motivation to convince others. It may however be inspiring or fun to try to express concepts that appear to support ideas which then may appear to result in a discussion about "right or wrong". I don't think that ideas that one harbors can be explained to others in a way that they are able to generate exactly the same ideas because the conceptual framing of individuals always is different due to different histories.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Leontiskos wrote: March 9th, 2022, 2:20 pm
chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 amWhat causes you to struggle as you try to 'do' Philosophy?
I think the difficulty of philosophy is the difficulty of dialogue between different viewpoints. Since human beings are so different from one another even mundane dialogues or arguments can become difficult. Philosophy ups the ante by widening and deepening each individual viewpoint (or "school").
That is certainly among the most difficult aspects of the forum, but not necessarily of 'doing' philosophy. GE Morton is the perfect example to me. His logic is fine, but he can't see that he has accepted some unproveable assumptions as fact at the bottom of the pyramid. Accepting that capitalism is the one true system for distributing wealth and forgetting all the past abuses accumulated in today's wealth, it is easy to accept what follows. Everyone has equal opportunity in his mind, and unequal outcomes reflect unequal effort and nothing more. But, since I don't accept the inherent fairness of his system, and choose not to forget the past, I can't go along with him. Since he does accept the alleged fairness of his system and is willing to forget the past, he is not able to consider remedies I consider necessary to approach real fairness.

But, this is only a barrier to discussion or to convincing others of what I believe. It is no impediment to believing as I see fit and acting in accordance with my own beliefs. However, it is sad to see that folks that self-report as being devoted to philosophy are not willing to approach truth and justice, which seem to lie somewhere in the middle, rather than at the extremes, like libertarianism or pure communism.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Ecurb wrote: March 9th, 2022, 3:21 pm I once tried to read Goedel's two famous proofs. Mistake!

By the way, Goedel and Einstein were colleagues at Princeton. Einstein once said that most days the only reason he went into his office was in the hope that he would get to walk home with Kurt Goedel. Goedel became more and more eccentric as he aged, and in the end would converse only on the telephone. He sometimes conducted phone conversations with someone in the same room.

This superb New Yorker article was easier to understand than the original math (which I couldn't follow). Highly recommended:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005 ... -bandits-2
I read "ABC of Relativity" by Russell, which did a good job of explaining Einstein's ideas in regular English for regular slobs like me. But, it doesn't distress me if I can't get my mind around such ideas. They may be difficult, but resolving these problems is not high on my list, since I can't see that the answers would make my life better.

I am concerned with practical philosophy that can be put to use immediately, that brings peace of mind and might even make me a better person. The philosophy that moves me is never difficult to grasp (Epictetus is my favorite). The difficult part is turning and living in accordance with the principles which are so obviously correct and sure to lead to a better quality of life. The ideas are as simple as telling an alcoholic that his life will be better without alcohol. Their implementation is as difficult as the alcoholic making the change to sobriety, and the payoff is just as good.

For an example, stoics tell us that we should work to form a grateful disposition. We should be thankful for what we get instead of lamenting what we are missing. But, I spent half a lifetime angry at the world, at God, at others for events and circumstances that did not match the perfect forms in my mind. Nothing was going as it 'should' have been going. The natural result of these core beliefs is anxiety, anger and depression.

Intellectually, it is easy to see that a grateful disposition leads to peace of mind and a happier life. Your kind opinion of yourself and the world can, in effect, build a kinder world for you within your mind, where your life really takes place. But, it is no simple thing to turn and live your life in accordance with these new beliefs. It took years for me to form a better default response to events in the world and the actions of others. It is no overstatement when Epictetus compares the effort to becoming an Olympic athlete. This does not mean that you need some gift of genetics that makes you especially suited to the task, but only that the commitment to the effort and the time required to learn the skill is similar.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I think it's the tedium. Let me explain.

Some philosophical questions require us to master a new aspect of philosophy, and this often involves getting right down to the details, and understanding them, so that you can apply it to your question. This delving down to the details - all of them - can be tedious. Tedious, but necessary, and thereby unavoidable. Tedium. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

thrasymachus wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:34 am Analytic philosophy is being given a proper burial as we speak.
You are quite right in all you say ... except this. There are cohorts of Objectivists and Sciencists who hold firm to their analytic doctrines. Lots of them. They are here, in this forum, and in other forums devoted to philosophy or science. I suspect they form the majority of contributors to forums like this. 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Gertie wrote
And I'm prone to dismissing things I can't easily get a handle on.
But how was it prior your being familiar with what you could get a handle on? It was unfamiliar and you couldn't get a handle on it. You grew, assimilated, processed and now you are a different thinking person. The trick in this, as I see it, is NOT to become dogmatic. This is the kiss of death for philosophy. When you find yourself philosophizing by citing, as if your analytic skills and you existential curiosity were reducible to mere recollection. Academics work like this much more than they should. Leo Strauss said most professional philosophers are, like himself, merely scholars, not thinkers (lecture at the Hillel Foundation in Chicago).

I m really just saying that what you can get a handle on is open, not closed. Our existence is open. The only way, in my opinion (though what are opinions if not the belief that your are right), to go is make more familiarity out of what is not familiar.

Would like to read this short lecture by Strauss? I have many, many philosophy texts on pdf, hundreds really, that can be delivered to anyone, if they have an interest. There are anonymous ways to deliver.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Pattern-chaser wrote
You are quite right in all you say ... except this. There are cohorts of Objectivists and Sciencists who hold firm to their analytic doctrines. Lots of them. They are here, in this forum, and in other forums devoted to philosophy or science. I suspect they form the majority of contributors to forums like this.
Yeah, technology is, and has been for a long time, on the rise, and this encourages philosophical "scientism", the presumption that science yields insights at the most basic level of inquiry. But when I read what they are saying, it is vacuous. This kind of thing is only for people who like analytic puzzles, logical challenges. There is a reason why Quine, a truly great analytic philosopher, actually had a Erdos number, the distinction one gets when they do a math paper with Paul Erdos, the famous mathematical genius. To them, philosophy is quite literally an exercise in abstract reasoning.

You're right, of course, about this forum, and this will continue. But now analytic philosophy is just mostly BS. Continental philosophy is its polar opposite. If you have an interest, let me know. I have a vast library on pdf. It can be sent with all due anonymity (I have done it in the past. All is needed is an email, which can be created ad hoc).

Alas, continental philosophy is probably harder than the analytic stuff, not because of its logical rigor, but because it explores threshold issues. Heidegger, e.g., had to invent a whole new system of jargon just to escape the mundane historical metaphysics.
stevie

Post by stevie »

stevie wrote: March 10th, 2022, 4:06 am ...
chewybrian wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:08 am Is it accepting unpleasant truths?
Since there is no generally accepted criterion of "truth", "truth" is no concern of mine. Applicability is relevant.
I'd like to add here that this expression of mine refers to philosophical "truths" because it appears to me that in philosophy the use of "truth" is metaphysically exaggerated in contrast to the conventional everyday use of "true"/"truth".
Of course if I have perceptual evidence that p (any proposition p) if being asked I would express p (and I would not express not-p) because I am following "the handing down of customs and laws" of my culture. So for me there is a difference between everday use of "truth"/"true" and the metaphysical speculation "truth"/"true" in philosophy which seems to aim at ultimacy.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

thrasymachus wrote: March 10th, 2022, 1:16 pm
Gertie wrote
And I'm prone to dismissing things I can't easily get a handle on.
But how was it prior your being familiar with what you could get a handle on? It was unfamiliar and you couldn't get a handle on it. You grew, assimilated, processed and now you are a different thinking person. The trick in this, as I see it, is NOT to become dogmatic. This is the kiss of death for philosophy. When you find yourself philosophizing by citing, as if your analytic skills and you existential curiosity were reducible to mere recollection. Academics work like this much more than they should. Leo Strauss said most professional philosophers are, like himself, merely scholars, not thinkers (lecture at the Hillel Foundation in Chicago).

I m really just saying that what you can get a handle on is open, not closed. Our existence is open. The only way, in my opinion (though what are opinions if not the belief that your are right), to go is make more familiarity out of what is not familiar.
I'd say that theoretically I'm philosophically open-minded, and interested in the edges of certainty. But I also need some way to get a handle on new ideas or ways of thinking about things which grounds them in reality. I like some clear solid grounding to reason/contextualise from. That's just how I naturally think things through, and find establishing foundations much more interesting than ensuing details and technicalities. And I'm suspicious that ambiguity and lack of clarity hides problems or fuzzy/wishful thinking.

When we've talked about phenomenology for example, it feels ungrounded, elusive, like struggling through quicksand to me, and I get frustrated. Obviously that's not how it feels to you, it resonates with you in a way it doesn't naturally with me. It interested me, but I struggled to find a satisfying handle which didn't involve something like a wholesale jump into acceptance.
Would like to read this short lecture by Strauss? I have many, many philosophy texts on pdf, hundreds really, that can be delivered to anyone, if they have an interest. There are anonymous ways to deliver.
If you can send it via the site's private message system I'll have a look, thanks.
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

chewybrian wrote: March 10th, 2022, 6:14 am
Leontiskos wrote: March 9th, 2022, 2:20 pm
That is certainly among the most difficult aspects of the forum, but not necessarily of 'doing' philosophy. GE Morton is the perfect example to me.
Yes, I think it is one of the most difficult aspects of the forum. I agree with what you say about Morton, but Morton is also interesting in another way. He strikes me as someone who understands his own position very well and other positions very poorly, and so falls prey to the difficulty of dialogue that I am outlining. In my discussions with Morton he consistently applies his own axioms to the positions that I outline, and is unable to allow them to stand in their own proper autonomy as positions legitimately and axiomatically different from his own. This is commonplace in life. We assume others are just like ourselves and have a difficult time perceiving, understanding, and engaging their otherness.
chewybrian wrote: March 10th, 2022, 6:14 amBut, this is only a barrier to discussion or to convincing others of what I believe. It is no impediment to believing as I see fit and acting in accordance with my own beliefs.
I think it is an interesting question: Can philosophers avoid the difficulty I mentioned? Can philosophy occur without dialogue?

First I would say that, "Believing as I see fit and acting in accordance with my own beliefs," is not philosophy. Everyone does that, whether they philosophize or not. I think philosophy involves understanding different ways of viewing the world and living life, making informed decisions about which one is correct, and then acting on those decisions.

Now, does that involve dialogue? I am of the mind that it does. Even if you are not dialoguing with living persons, an Aristotelian who tries to pick up Hume or Nietzsche is going to be stretched by that different viewpoint. The difficulty occurs most obviously in debates between living persons, but it is also present in reading and study. Dialoguing with foreign viewpoints seems to be inherent in philosophy, and also inherently difficult.

The extreme contradictory position would be the claim that someone could be a philosopher without ever encountering another person, reading a book, or knowing a natural language.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream