What is the most difficult part of philosophy (for you)?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
LuckyR

Re: What is the most difficult part of philosophy (for you)?

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:10 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 14th, 2022, 3:59 am
Being accused of cancel culture by folks who previously dominated the conversation and are now shocked (I mean shocked) to find that there is no Right to have one's views accepted isn't an example of a difficulty, it is the way the Real World works (plus it is kind of humorous).
Er, who is accusing whom of "cancel culture"?
Well, Sy brought it up (literally in the post I cited), though didn't mention by whom.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:35 am
Yes, this is 'stealth-trolling' - preventing discussion by filling a topic (that they disagree with) with trivial quibbling, and equally-trivial objections, demands for definitions, and moans concerning 'burden of proof'. It really winds me up, even though it shouldn't. 😤😳
GE Morton wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:33 pm Well, PC, defining one's terms and accepting the burden of proof for one's claims are de rigueur for rational discussion. Indeed, essential to it.
Any participant in a discussion contributes as they may. Sometimes they make a claim that is not, and maybe cannot be, substantiated. This weakens the claim they have made, but might not invalidate it; it remains a contribution. I think the only burden that a contributor to a discussion bears is to contribute positively, if they can, and always with courtesy. All else is distraction, maybe posturing.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 14th, 2022, 4:54 pm
Any participant in a discussion contributes as they may. Sometimes they make a claim that is not, and maybe cannot be, substantiated. This weakens the claim they have made, but might not invalidate it; it remains a contribution. I think the only burden that a contributor to a discussion bears is to contribute positively, if they can, and always with courtesy. All else is distraction, maybe posturing.
I guess it depends upon whether you consider an unsubstantiated claim (unless it is offered as an hypothesis), or an easily falsifiable one, to be a "positive contribution." I don't.

An hypothesis is not substantiated when proposed, of course. It's purpose is to launch a search for evidence which either confirms or disconfirms it.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 14th, 2022, 5:55 amTrue about the meaning of the apple in Eden, and the benefit of meditation. Somewhere in The Bible is "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof". The Buddhists have the psychology correct, that craving is bad for your health.

Your observation about the mass psychology of trash journalism: it feeds into a magic- consciousness, i.e. the superstition that if we worry enough about it we will propitiate the gods and stave it off.
Worry is ultimately alertness towards possible future threats. Do you think perhaps there's also a touch of "hair shirt" suffering, the sense that paying dues with suffering now saves on worse suffering later?

The idea seems reasonable in everyday life, at least. For instance, suffering now with hard exercise saves on worse suffering later with physical ailments and ennui. Working on an essay now will save a student a more intense struggle to complete the work later on. (Then again, I once knew an artist who would wait until a few days before an exhibition to start painting, because she felt her best work came under pressure).

So often sound ideas of the past become twisted by misinterpretation or irrational application. That perhaps describes the history of organised religion in a single sentence.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sy Borg wrote: April 14th, 2022, 7:57 pm
Belindi wrote: April 14th, 2022, 5:55 amTrue about the meaning of the apple in Eden, and the benefit of meditation. Somewhere in The Bible is "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof". The Buddhists have the psychology correct, that craving is bad for your health.

Your observation about the mass psychology of trash journalism: it feeds into a magic- consciousness, i.e. the superstition that if we worry enough about it we will propitiate the gods and stave it off.
Worry is ultimately alertness towards possible future threats. Do you think perhaps there's also a touch of "hair shirt" suffering, the sense that paying dues with suffering now saves on worse suffering later?

The idea seems reasonable in everyday life, at least. For instance, suffering now with hard exercise saves on worse suffering later with physical ailments and ennui. Working on an essay now will save a student a more intense struggle to complete the work later on. (Then again, I once knew an artist who would wait until a few days before an exhibition to start painting, because she felt her best work came under pressure).

So often sound ideas of the past become twisted by misinterpretation or irrational application. That perhaps describes the history of organised religion in a single sentence.
Yes, the essence of superstition is misplaced attribution of causes. The predicted effects of the causes in your illustrations are backed by plenty of evidence whereas superstitions and magical thinking is founded on craving and lack of knowledge of how to satisfy the craving. The Cargo Cults (anthropology) show how ignorance of actual causes of events lead to useless rituals; and that applies to many religionists doing their rituals and applying their notions of "sins". Faith is one thing but superstition is not the same as faith.
In 1964, Peter Lawrence described the term as follows: "Cargo ritual was any religious activity designed to produce goods in this way and assumed to have been taught [to] the leader [of the cargo cult] by the deity"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 14th, 2022, 4:54 pm
GE Morton wrote: April 14th, 2022, 7:14 pm I guess it depends upon whether you consider an unsubstantiated claim (unless it is offered as an hypothesis), or an easily falsifiable one, to be a "positive contribution." I don't.

An hypothesis is not substantiated when proposed, of course. It's purpose is to launch a search for evidence which either confirms or disconfirms it.
Couldn't an unsubstantiated claim act in exactly the same way as a proposed hypothesis? No need for it to be offered as an hypothesis, for it to achieve the same effect.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Sy Borg wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:20 am Perhaps the most difficult part of philosophy is stopping people with a single agenda from hijacking threads that might have been philosophical! If I try to keep things on track I am accused of cancel culture.
I know it can't be easy but I appreciate the effort to keep things on track. It's a tough balancing act to allow freedom of expression while trying to keep people from abusing the privilege.
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:35 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 14th, 2022, 4:05 am In truth, they are effectively cancelling others via opportunity costs, taking up air space that others could have used if given the chance.
Yes, this is 'stealth-trolling' - preventing discussion by filling a topic (that they disagree with) with trivial quibbling, and equally-trivial objections, demands for definitions, and moans concerning 'burden of proof'. It really winds me up, even though it shouldn't. 😤😳
Right there with you...
Belindi wrote: April 14th, 2022, 11:34 am It's always best to use plain English. The concept of Dasein, or more simply
being-there, addresses how each being-there is unique, so social controls i.e. criminal law, religious 'sin', and ordinary gossip should be as non-controlling and forgiving as possible.
I like that idea but I like the plain English just as much. I don't know why we have to muddle things with jargon and fancy names for concepts that aren't always so tough to understand. I think philosophy could do more good for more people if we kept it as simple as possible.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 15th, 2022, 4:44 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 14th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Yes, the essence of superstition is misplaced attribution of causes. The predicted effects of the causes in your illustrations are backed by plenty of evidence whereas superstitions and magical thinking is founded on craving and lack of knowledge of how to satisfy the craving. The Cargo Cults (anthropology) show how ignorance of actual causes of events lead to useless rituals; and that applies to many religionists doing their rituals and applying their notions of "sins". Faith is one thing but superstition is not the same as faith.
In 1964, Peter Lawrence described the term as follows: "Cargo ritual was any religious activity designed to produce goods in this way and assumed to have been taught [to] the leader [of the cargo cult] by the deity"
An interesting parsing of superstition and faith. The former latter being on misinterpretations and the latter based on solid, but incomplete, evidence.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

chewybrian wrote: April 15th, 2022, 9:55 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:20 am Perhaps the most difficult part of philosophy is stopping people with a single agenda from hijacking threads that might have been philosophical! If I try to keep things on track I am accused of cancel culture.
I know it can't be easy but I appreciate the effort to keep things on track. It's a tough balancing act to allow freedom of expression while trying to keep people from abusing the privilege.
It sure is tough. In all these years I've not managed it in a way that I feel is satisfactory.

The situation echoes society's. How do you work within the rules with those who have no regard for the rules? There is asymmetry, like a boxer operating by Marquess of Queensbury rules pitted against an armed streetfighter.

Ultimately, it's to the advantage of those who embrace fascism (in whatever form) to break rules and try to push rule-keepers to break their own rules. In that way, the rules break down, always driven by, and to the advantage of those, who want the rules gone. This plays out in societies, with increasing intransigence forcing ever stricter "crackdowns", which then enforces the narrative that the rule-keepers are inherently corrupt and power-mad. Then, when they have power, they can rationalise aggression by painting it as a crackdown.

In terms of elections, claims of cheating in clean elections makes it far easier for those who are prepared to cheat to do what they claimed was done to them. If anyone complains, they paint the situation as tit for tat. It's a standard fascist move.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 15th, 2022, 6:35 am
Couldn't an unsubstantiated claim act in exactly the same way as a proposed hypothesis? No need for it to be offered as an hypothesis, for it to achieve the same effect.
The difference is that someone who offers an hypothesis does not claim it is true, and welcomes evidence bearing on its truth. A person making an unsubstantiated claim is convinced its true, and typically does not want to hear arguments or consider evidence to the contrary. It is a "matter of faith."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GE Morton wrote: April 15th, 2022, 7:41 pm A person making an unsubstantiated claim is convinced its true, and typically does not want to hear arguments or consider evidence to the contrary.
Not necessarily. You extend your story of an unsubstantiated claim to describe a person who is unwilling to indulge in discussion, to bolster your own beliefs on the matter. I submit that your claims are unsubstantiated. 😆 But it doesn't matter; it's not important enough to pursue. 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 16th, 2022, 8:48 am
GE Morton wrote: April 15th, 2022, 7:41 pm A person making an unsubstantiated claim is convinced its true, and typically does not want to hear arguments or consider evidence to the contrary.
Not necessarily. You extend your story of an unsubstantiated claim to describe a person who is unwilling to indulge in discussion, to bolster your own beliefs on the matter. I submit that your claims are unsubstantiated.
I said "typically." Not everyone who makes an unsubstantiated claim is unwilling to consider evidence against it. But they do present the claim with the belief that it is true, unlike the person presenting an hypothesis (for whom its truth is an open question).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:36 am
Not necessarily. You extend your story of an unsubstantiated claim to describe a person who is unwilling to indulge in discussion, to bolster your own beliefs on the matter. I submit that your claims are unsubstantiated.
I said "typically." Not everyone who makes an unsubstantiated claim is unwilling to consider evidence against it. But they do present the claim with the belief that it is true, unlike the person presenting an hypothesis (for whom its truth is an open question).
I agree that the word "typically" encapsulates our experience in this Forum nicely.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GE Morton wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:36 am
🤣🤣🤣 It gets better and better!

First you make an unsubstantiated claim: that people who make unsubstantiated claims contribute negatively to the discussion.

Then it turns out that your claim is not only unsubstantiated, but also wrong. So you ascribe to your innocent targets (people who make unsubstantiated claims) an attribute that would make their contribution negative: that such people "typically" do not want to hear arguments or consider evidence to the contrary. This is a second unsubstantiated claim, even though "typically" gives you deniability (which you exploit in your reply, above).

It is not only those who make unsubstantiated claims who do not want to hear arguments or consider evidence to the contrary; anyone could/can do this, and yes, they are indeed a negative contribution to the discussion.

So, unwilling to hear arguments or consider evidence to the contrary, you continue to defend your initial, and unsubstantiated, claim, that those who make unsubstantiated claims contribute negatively.

Hoist by your own petard, I suggest?

🤣🤣🤣
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 17th, 2022, 7:31 am
First you make an unsubstantiated claim: that people who make unsubstantiated claims contribute negatively to the discussion.
That was not an unsubstantiated claim. It wasn't a claim at all. It was the expression of an opinion, and a response to your statement, "I think the only burden that a contributor to a discussion bears is to contribute positively, if they can, and always with courtesy." To which I responded with, "I guess it depends upon whether you consider an unsubstantiated claim (unless it is offered as an hypothesis), or an easily falsifiable one, to be a 'positive contribution.' I don't."

A claim is a proposition which purports to be a statement of fact, and has a determinable truth value. Statements of opinion or approval/disapproval are not claims.

"Claim (tr. v): 3. To state to be true, especially when open to question; assert or maintain: claimed he had won the race; a candidate claiming many supporters."

https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=claim

So to paraphrase: I don't consider unsubstantiated claims (as above defined) to contribute positively to any substantive discussion.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream