Is there a word for this concept?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
anonymous66

Is there a word for this concept?

Post by anonymous66 »

Is there a word for something that has a beginning but no end? I was talking with my 13 year old son today - and in the midst of out conversation he suggested he was talking about something that wasn't infinite because it had a beginning - but also insisted this thing had no end. An example some might accept is the universe itself - assuming the universe started with the big bang, and assuming the universe will never end.

Can we call something with a beginning and no end "infinite" or is there another word that should be used?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Is there a word for this concept?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Does this help?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 2:33 pm Does this help?
That doesn't really help. I have no problem saying that something with no beginning and no end "infinite" - but when my son added the condition that this thing does have a beginning, I hesitate to call it "infinite".
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

anonymous66 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 1:55 pm Is there a word for something that has a beginning but no end? I was talking with my 13 year old son today - and in the midst of out conversation he suggested he was talking about something that wasn't infinite because it had a beginning - but also insisted this thing had no end. An example some might accept is the universe itself - assuming the universe started with the big bang, and assuming the universe will never end.

Can we call something with a beginning and no end "infinite" or is there another word that should be used?
Let your son imagine the universe as a great cycle taking place within an infinite conscious source. Hinduism defines it as the Breath of Brahma. The great breath of Brahma creates and destroys worlds in an incessant cyclical rhythm. The outer breath creates the contents of consciousness (our universe) while the intake is the return to the source.

Our senses only enable us to experience a small part of the cycle the beginning of which we call the big bang. The great cycle within a conscious source outside the limits of time and space has no beginning and no end. It repeats as we do when we breath.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

anonymous66 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 1:55 pm Is there a word for something that has a beginning but no end? I was talking with my 13 year old son today - and in the midst of out conversation he suggested he was talking about something that wasn't infinite because it had a beginning - but also insisted this thing had no end. An example some might accept is the universe itself - assuming the universe started with the big bang, and assuming the universe will never end.

There are different kinds of infinity, but that certainly counts as one of them. The set of natural numbers is an example of that sort of infinity, where there is a lower bound but no upper bound. I don't know of a word that specifically denotes this kind of infinity.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

It may be that cycle is what is known as eternal recurrence but although there are cycles, such as the seasons it may be problematic if it is seen too concretely and literally. There may some cycles which appear as repetition, like day and night and the seasons. However, it is hard to see the larger framework and to suggest that everything happens over and again may be too mechanistic. There are cycles, but it is hard to see the larger picture, and variance within cycle is important. Even though there is recurrence, it may be best to see the idea of cycles symbolically rather than take it too literally because the details of variance are hard to ascertain clearly.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:10 pm It may be that cycle is what is known as eternal recurrence but although there are cycles, such as the seasons it may be problematic if it is seen too concretely and literally. There may some cycles which appear as repetition, like day and night and the seasons. However, it is hard to see the larger framework and to suggest that everything happens over and again may be too mechanistic. There are cycles, but it is hard to see the larger picture, and variance within cycle is important. Even though there is recurrence, it may be best to see the idea of cycles symbolically rather than take it too literally because the details of variance are hard to ascertain clearly.
Time in Buddhist cosmology is measured in kalpas. Originally, a kalpa was considered to be 4,320,000 years. Buddhist scholars expanded it with a metaphor: rub a one-mile cube of rock once every hundred years with a piece of silk, until the rock is worn away -- and a kalpa still hasn’t passed! During a kalpa, the world comes into being, exists, is destroyed, and a period of emptiness ensues. Then it all starts again.
A kalpa is a measure of one cycle of existence in which the great cycle of existence comes into being, exists, and is destroyed only to begin again .
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Nick_A wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:46 pm
JackDaydream wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:10 pm It may be that cycle is what is known as eternal recurrence but although there are cycles, such as the seasons it may be problematic if it is seen too concretely and literally. There may some cycles which appear as repetition, like day and night and the seasons. However, it is hard to see the larger framework and to suggest that everything happens over and again may be too mechanistic. There are cycles, but it is hard to see the larger picture, and variance within cycle is important. Even though there is recurrence, it may be best to see the idea of cycles symbolically rather than take it too literally because the details of variance are hard to ascertain clearly.
Time in Buddhist cosmology is measured in kalpas. Originally, a kalpa was considered to be 4,320,000 years. Buddhist scholars expanded it with a metaphor: rub a one-mile cube of rock once every hundred years with a piece of silk, until the rock is worn away -- and a kalpa still hasn’t passed! During a kalpa, the world comes into being, exists, is destroyed, and a period of emptiness ensues. Then it all starts again.
A kalpa is a measure of one cycle of existence in which the great cycle of existence comes into being, exists, and is destroyed only to begin again .
That is interesting and I am do consider Buddhism seriously. The basis for what I wrote was in connection with a discussion about the idea of eternal recurrence on a thread on immortality. The idea was spoken of by Nietzsche and some others, including Ouspensky. The problem is when the idea is taken to mean that the exact same living beings exist again and again repetitively. There are cycles of births and deaths but it can be interpreted too rigidly. The cycles of existence are most likely complex and the Hindus and Buddhists may have captured important ideas which can be interpreted too simplistically within the framework of Western approaches in philosophy.
Gee

Post by Gee »

It is sometimes difficult to help children understand concepts, so try this: Draw a circle and tell your son that he is the circle. It is easy to see that the interior of the circle is finite as it has a finite space that is the beginning, then explain that from the circle out is infinite as there can be an infinite number of directions that can be traced from the circle to anywhere and everywhere outside of the circle from down the block to across the country to outer space, but it always starts with the circle. In this case, the word to describe this would be perspective, which has a beginning and has unlimited possibilities.

Gee
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Gee wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 6:35 pm

It is sometimes difficult to help children understand concepts, so try this: Draw a circle and tell your son that he is the circle. It is easy to see that the interior of the circle is finite as it has a finite space that is the beginning, then explain that from the circle out is infinite as there can be an infinite number of directions that can be traced from the circle to anywhere and everywhere outside of the circle from down the block to across the country to outer space, but it always starts with the circle. In this case, the word to describe this would be perspective, which has a beginning and has unlimited possibilities.

Gee
One question may be whether a circle has to have a beginning or not. If it is reproduced it does not appear to have a beginning, but the original circle does even though may appear invisible. It is hard to draw a circle perfectly without a compass but it begins with a dot. This may have some significance for understanding beginnings and ends, even though they may not be identified clearly.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 5:10 pm
That is interesting and I am do consider Buddhism seriously. The basis for what I wrote was in connection with a discussion about the idea of eternal recurrence on a thread on immortality. The idea was spoken of by Nietzsche and some others, including Ouspensky. The problem is when the idea is taken to mean that the exact same living beings exist again and again repetitively. There are cycles of births and deaths but it can be interpreted too rigidly. The cycles of existence are most likely complex and the Hindus and Buddhists may have captured important ideas which can be interpreted too simplistically within the framework of Western approaches in philosophy.
Quite true If you know how Ouspensky described the universe in six dimensions. What I am referring to is the sixth dimension: the expression of all possible eternities or what modern science calls multiverse. However consciousness offers the possibility for a person to change eternities or repair the past
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Nick_A wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 6:49 pm
JackDaydream wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 5:10 pm
Quite true If you know how Ouspensky described the universe in six dimensions. What I am referring to is the sixth dimension: the expression of all possible eternities or what modern science calls multiverse. However consciousness offers the possibility for a person to change eternities or repair the past
The idea of the multiverse is an interesting concept, even though it is hard to divide dimensions. I have been reading Huston Smith on dimensions and levels. I am interested in this and spoke of this in my own thread on what is God, and a couple of others. However, I am aware that this thread is asking about circles, cycles and the nature of endings and beginnings, so don't wish to derail the thread, unless the poster plans it to go in that direction.
Consul

Post by Consul »

anonymous66 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 1:55 pm Can we call something with a beginning and no end "infinite" or is there another word that should be used?
"everlasting" = "lasting for ever; infinite in future duration" (Oxford Dictionary of English)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 2:33 pm Does this help?
anonymous66 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 2:49 pm That doesn't really help. I have no problem saying that something with no beginning and no end "infinite" - but when my son added the condition that this thing does have a beginning, I hesitate to call it "infinite".
OK, you don't like "infinite", but that list offers quite a few different terms. Perhaps one of the more obvious choices is "endless"? After all, we are looking for quite an unusual term that may not exist, a term that means 'has a beginning, but continues forever without end'. Good luck in your search. 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Leontiskos wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:05 pm

There are different kinds of infinity, but that certainly counts as one of them. The set of natural numbers is an example of that sort of infinity, where there is a lower bound but no upper bound. I don't know of a word that specifically denotes this kind of infinity.
"Different kinds of infinity" - that makes sense. I guess I ever really thought of a type of a type of infinity that does have a lower bond, but no upper bound. Thank you!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream