What philosophy offends you most?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
WindowtotheWorld

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by WindowtotheWorld »

Sy Borg wrote: September 21st, 2022, 8:43 pm I do not see how disbelief in an ancient war deity fosters non-philosophical hedonism. There can, famously, be a great deal of hedonism going on in churches behind the scenes.

Lucky's post seemed on point to me.
Humans can likewise use the pretext of religion to their bad ends. Why don't we leave it at that: human weakness and abuse of thought?

The subject of the thread however was with regard to what philosophy irks you the most, and I dipped my hat in. That is all.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 21st, 2022, 8:36 pm My gripe is not with atheism in and of itself, but atheism as it is wedded to human vice and weakness (which it very often is, though not completely).

In an ideal society perhaps Communism could work.
In an ideal society communism would not even be considered, much less practiced.
WindowtotheWorld

GE Morton wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:13 pm
WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 21st, 2022, 8:36 pm My gripe is not with atheism in and of itself, but atheism as it is wedded to human vice and weakness (which it very often is, though not completely).

In an ideal society communism would not even be considered, much less practiced.
True, but I'm talking about the mere consent to go along with such a scheme. If everyone was righteous, such a project would go well.

Just so, if everyone who adopted atheism was upright, there would be no obnoxious clowns like TheAmazingAtheist on youtube.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:38 pmJust so, if everyone who adopted atheism was upright, there would be no obnoxious clowns like TheAmazingAtheist on youtube.
If everyone who adopted theism was upright, churches would not be facing class actions from people molested by their officials as children.

As you suggested but seemed to later reject, the issue is human weakness, not vehicles for its expression.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:38 pm
GE Morton wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:13 pm

True, but I'm talking about the mere consent to go along with such a scheme. If everyone was righteous, such a project would go well.

Just so, if everyone who adopted atheism was upright, there would be no obnoxious clowns like TheAmazingAtheist on youtube.
Your red statement is an example of what I referred to as a poor attempt.

There is no data that demonstrates a substantive difference in any objective measure of morality, ethical practices or any surrogate for "goodness" and/or "righteousness" between the religious and atheists.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 21st, 2022, 1:13 pm I have a deep dislike for Atheism as a cultural edifice (as opposed to merely a bare-bones intellectual stance.) Rather, the whole culture that follows upon its heels, which essentially reduces to "eat, drink and be merry." In other words, all that matters in life is furthering the passions, and there is no other transcendent reference point for human existence. This is not to say that all atheists are wanton hedonists, and that they are all amoral. I understand that humans are always complex beings. But the ideology in general is a sort of bland humanism which I do not feel uplifts the human spirit, but degrades it due to its stultifying and deadening ethic. I feel that a life of idealism and transcendence can truly match the possibilities inherent in humankind.
LuckyR wrote: September 21st, 2022, 8:11 pm Sounds to me that you actually have a deep dislike of hedonism and a poor understanding of atheism, as demonstrated by your poor attempt to try to equate the two.
Agreed. To say (my paraphrase) that "Atheism ... essentially reduces to eat, drink and be merry," seems quite wrong, and intentionally insulting, to me. And I am not an atheist!
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

This would appear to be another intentional insult. But let's say it isn't, and that you post your thoughts with a more positive intention. Can you offer any support — evidence, or whatever — for your position? Can you offer examples of how, in the real world, atheism is wedded to vice and weakness? You say that it "often is", but this is not clear or obvious to me. Perhaps a real-world example or two might clarify your position?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Hmm, here is the choice, as presented:

1) be an atheist and eat, drink and be merry

2) be a theist and molest boys.

Given that stark contrast of caricatured extremes, all I can say is cheers and bon appetit!
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 8:09 pm Hmm, here is the choice, as presented:

Given that stark contrast of caricatured extremes, all I can say is cheers and bon appetit!
This focus on hedonism and depraved priests ignores the thrust of WTTW's objection, i.e., "In other words, all that matters in life is furthering the passions, and there is no other transcendent reference point for human existence. This is not to say that all atheists are wanton hedonists, and that they are all amoral. I understand that humans are always complex beings. But the ideology in general is a sort of bland humanism which I do not feel uplifts the human spirit, but degrades it due to its stultifying and deadening ethic. I feel that a life of idealism and transcendence can truly match the possibilities inherent in humankind."

Does religion foster or elevate the "human spirit'? Just what is "human spirit," anyway? If religion inspires or encourages "idealism," what "ideal" does WTTW have in mind? And what does he hope to transcend? Is that the search for a "divine purpose" for existence? The hope for an eternal life?

All of those concepts need some elaboration before we could determine whether religion promotes any of them --- and whether they should be promoted.
WindowtotheWorld

Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 8:09 pm Hmm, here is the choice, as presented:

This illustrates actually the difference between you and me. I would say that the religious project is worth doing even at the price of corruption and abuse. This is because theism and religion save from death. Atheism, in my view, cannot save from death.

Theism is worth it, in my view. Atheism is forgettable and leaves a vacuum, a void, which only earthly carnal things take its place. I have experienced this sense of Voidness myself from my own deep personal experience. I am my own example. I don't need any other.
WindowtotheWorld

GE Morton wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 9:15 pm
Does religion foster or elevate the "human spirit'? Just what is "human spirit," anyway? If religion inspires or encourages "idealism," what "ideal" does WTTW have in mind? And what does he hope to transcend? Is that the search for a "divine purpose" for existence? The hope for an eternal life?

All of those concepts need some elaboration before we could determine whether religion promotes any of them --- and whether they should be promoted.
Human spirit is something real in my view. It isn't some vapid, empty spook. It is Deliverance from Death.

The ideal I have in mind is arranging one's life in accordance with spiritual principles, which leads one to higher experiences and, at the end, freedom and deliverance from Death.....

You can try and determine whether religion actually promotes this Deliverance. In my view true Religion does.

I think we have lost the subject of this thread, which is "what philosophy offends you most." I have already made clear my own thoughts, and that should suffice. I have been more than liberal in my maintaining that I do not hate atheism, only some cultural versions of it. I'll leave it at that. I don't see the point in continuing to go around in circles....
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 9:49 pm

This illustrates actually the difference between you and me. I would say that the religious project is worth doing even at the price of corruption and abuse. This is because theism and religion save from death. Atheism, in my view, cannot save from death.

Theism is worth it, in my view. Atheism is forgettable and leaves a vacuum, a void, which only earthly carnal things take its place. I have experienced this sense of Voidness myself from my own deep personal experience. I am my own example. I don't need any other.
You are going to die, even if you believe you won't. Good that you have such a strong survival instinct, but appreciate that yours is wishful thinking, never subjected to critical analysis.

Atheism has nothing to do with personal voids. It's just not subscribing to the superstitious beliefs of ancients. I lose nothing important by not believing in Zeus and I lose nothing important by not believing in Yahweh. Ancient gods are anthropomorphised representations of nature. One can have awe and respect for nature without pretending that it is ruled by a quasi-simian consciousness.
WindowtotheWorld

Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:35 pm

You are going to die, even if you believe you won't.
I am not a madman who thinks there is no such thing as death or that we are not subject to it. I am taking about being saved from death's sway and dominion. About being released, post mortem, from death's grip.

I believe in the Vital Soul. And this Vital Soul is capable of triumphing over the diseased body. This is what I believe. I have no illusions that I won't experience decay and death of my body. I have an Absolute Faith I am the Vital Soul, apart from the lifeless body.

That is what I believe. You may think it erroneous and that's fine, but I feel I've sufficiently shared my views at this point.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 11:24 pm
Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:35 pm

You are going to die, even if you believe you won't.
I am not a madman who thinks there is no such thing as death or that we are not subject to it. I am taking about being saved from death's sway and dominion. About being released, post mortem, from death's grip.

I believe in the Vital Soul. And this Vital Soul is capable of triumphing over the diseased body. This is what I believe. I have no illusions that I won't experience decay and death of my body. I have an Absolute Faith I am the Vital Soul, apart from the lifeless body.

That is what I believe. You may think it erroneous and that's fine, but I feel I've sufficiently shared my views at this point.
Fair enough. Millions believe as you do.

I don't think there is an immortal soul so much as we misinterpret what we are. We are individuals, but we are also part of far greater entities, like humanity, the biosphere and the Earth, whose lifespans are rather more impressive than our three-score-and-ten. I don't see how our personality as it stands now could survive any more than our personality at age three did.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:35 pm Atheism has nothing to do with personal voids. It's just not subscribing to the superstitious beliefs of ancients. I lose nothing important by not believing in Zeus and I lose nothing important by not believing in Yahweh. Ancient gods are anthropomorphised representations of nature. One can have awe and respect for nature without pretending that it is ruled by a quasi-simian consciousness.
What you lose by not believing in Zeus, Yahweh or Mithras is ... God. You apparently don't see this as a problem. Fair enough.

"Ancient gods" illustrate aspects of God, as all the beings we call "God" do.

One can, of course, "have awe and respect for nature" without believing in God.

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 11:24 pm I am not a madman who thinks there is no such thing as death or that we are not subject to it. I am taking about being saved from death's sway and dominion. About being released, post mortem, from death's grip.

I too believe in the possibility of some sort of continuation after death. But I hesitate to describe it too precisely, as I have no idea at all of how it might happen, or what it might involve.

And I don't find the expression of views different from my own — religious or otherwise — to be, in the words of the topic title, offensive. I'm surprised that you do. What is so bad about atheism, that you cannot ignore it, but feel inclined to attack it instead? It's just another view, as unjustifiable as yours, or mine, is. 🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream