Metaphysics and Medicine: How May the Approaches of Western and Eastern Philosophies be Compared and Evaluated?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
JackDaydream

Metaphysics and Medicine: How May the Approaches of Western and Eastern Philosophies be Compared and Evaluated?

Post by JackDaydream »

Within Western society, most approaches to health, disease and wellbeing come from a perspective of the body based on causality in Western science. If a person is feeling ill the point of contact is going to see a doctor, who may perform a medical examination and carry out tests. To a large extent, this is based on a physicalist model of causation in understanding the working of the human body, even though there is some attention paid to the psychosomatic basis of illness.

In Eastern philosophy there is a different approach to the body, including the idea of a 'subtle body', which is interconnected to the nervous system. This is mapped on a model which often is known in terms of the chakras in Indian thought and the meridian points in Chinese philosophy. These centres, which are seen as energy points are often seen as important in health and wellbeing and may be interconnected with the experience of emotional and mental states.

In the West , the ideas of the East have been embraced in the movement of holistic medicine. However, I would argue that it may be problematic if someone goes down the route of such understanding of illness. The idea of complementary medicine as opposed to alternative medicine is about incorporating the physical and other aspects of understanding illness and health.

Fritjof Capra, a physicist, known for the 'Tao of Physics', 'The Turning Point', as well as a number of other writings has looked at the way in which the Cartesian-Newtonian paradigm has led to a rather restrictive model of reality, including the medical model.

In this particular thread , I am thinking of the medical model and its limitations. I am not suggesting that the physical body and ailments can be ignored. Western medicine offers so much for understanding illness and disease. So many forms of illness can be averted and many owe their lives to the understanding of medicine and its advances.

However, I am trying to think about the limitations of the medical model. Is it too mechanical? To what extent do the ideas of Eastern thought, especially in relation to the relationship between mind and body have to understanding sickness and health ? One aspect of this is the idea of 'healing' which may be about finding ways of working on 'emotional injuries' of the past. To what extent is this possible and, does it go beyond a physicalist understanding of mind and body, and the relationship between the two aspects in the greater understanding of human beings? Can sickness and healing be separated in understanding with working with physical, emotional and mental illness, and how are these aspects interconnected?
JackDaydream

Re: Metaphysics and Medicine: How May the Approaches of Western and Eastern Philosophies be Compared and Evaluated?

Post by JackDaydream »

One point which I wish to add, in order to avoid confusion, is that I am not wishing to point to an absolute division between Western and Easten medicine. In the twentieth first century, the medical model is important throughout the world. So, when I suggest a view of medicine based on Eastern metaphysics it is not a complete eithet/ or distinction. Also, it is likely that Western science and its associated metaphysics is known in most parts of the world, so I am not pointing to a completely different philosophy perspective but more of a subtle distinction, which sees reality and the mind/ body relationship a little differently.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Metaphysics and Medicine: How May the Approaches of Western and Eastern Philosophies be Compared and Evaluated?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

One memory this topic stirs in me is that, historically, doctors in China were not expected to heal the sick. They were considered successful only if their patients remained healthy in the first place. 🤔🤔🤔 But perhaps that's an old wives' tale? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:52 am One memory this topic stirs in me is that, historically, doctors in China were not expected to heal the sick. They were considered successful only if their patients remained healthy in the first place. 🤔🤔🤔 But perhaps that's an old wives' tale? 🤔
It is hard to know if the idea of Chinese doctors not being expected to treat the sick is an old wives tale. Nevertheless, I think that the idea does express a different approach to health than in the West. Rather than paying attention to the body when it goes wrong there is an attention to health as an integral part of life to be worked with on an ongoing concern. This is central to the idea of complementary medicine and is taken on board by people in the West who have embraced it. Many people go for all kinds of treatments without being ill, including reflexology and shiatsu.

I don't even know what some of the therapies are although I did agree to being a case study for someone who I knew who was training to be a reflexology. This involved me having several treatments. I am not sure to what extent it helped me or not, and I can't say that I really liked having my feet fiddled around with.

But the question as to whether to attend to health before or after the body goes wrong does remain. There is growing awareness in health promotion of the ways in which people need to take responsibility for their health but sometimes this can appear too prescriptive, with saying all the things which one should not do not do. Also, there is a whole industry of supplements, including herbs for health. But it is a money making industry, whilst many are increasingly finding it hard to buy food.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream