Working within set parameters

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
mrdim
Premium Member

Re: Working within set parameters

Post by mrdim »

Pattern-chaser wrote: So, when reality does not fit our models, we default to the models, and not the reality which they are models of?
In a manner of speaking, yes, but at the same time we use these models of reality to make predictions. We cannot commit ourselves fully to reality in the current age, we must rely on and update existing frameworks until a better solution comes up. The actual problem is yet more complex, because reality is capable of such paradoxes as these, while at the same time, we are capable of finding solutions. What we have in common in the future may be unrecognisable to us now, in many ways, but it may still carry with it certain common features.

My theory about this is that change itself doesn't have to eradicate permanent constructs or mechanisms. But the complexity is currently too high for us to grasp and it's an unsolved problem. You're saying that it's all perfectly natural that systems and languages should change. I agree, but if you want to go further, then how do you define nature? Is there anything outside of nature, such as relations? Actually the problem of relations is a topic I have seen before on these forums.
As far as I remember, it asks: Is the universe composed of objects (or the very smallest compositional parts) without relations existing apart from these objects, or is there some way for us to determine that relations do in fact exist?

So for that question, I ask, what is nature? Does nature simply lead to change and divergence, or is there more to it?

In answer to your next question about practical experiences and how I learn from my experiences: I would simply say that our mental models of reality help govern our practical experiences, and that is how we perform 'correct' or 'favourable' actions
In relation to my previous point about nature, let us look into another question: What aspects of the universe are measurable in a continuous fashion? In other words, what aspects of the universe offer us a continual measurement of values, like width, height etc?

If there is scope for a continuous measurement of nature, where does that fit in with our common systems?
One useful example I can think of is entropy, for this discussion. Is it measured continuously, like anything that is classically measured, or is it random?

I know that entropy can be measured, but I don't know to what greater extent it can be measured.

As such, the models we create, complimenting our practical experiences, are faced with uncertainty, but at the same time, we can attempt to determine the different kinds of continuous measurements that will be available to us.

If we can measure things, then that is one example of some degree of certainty, but you are correct that it is largely our practical/mentally disciplined application of logic and reasoning that takes us to new levels of understanding.

As Angelo Cannata suggests, it is our sense of discipline that underlies or practical ability to make sense of life and the world. This has two meanings. First is that we are subjugated by the world. Second is that there is an apparent quality to the mental models we create to explain reality.

If we can exercise this sense of quality, we can improve our discipline. So my reality and my understanding of what comprises a 'quality' thought, is different from someone else's.

I think that we can allow ourselves to open up to new experiences and possibilities, and reinforce the quality of our existence, but we need some underlying certainty with regards to quality.

I hope I have made sense of this complicated subject, to myself and others. Thank you for your contributions so far. I look forward to seeing if I've made a mess of my arguments or if I have made sense.

I would also like to thank Angelo Cannata for your useful comments.
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

I want to add a new method to my list of explorations as well.

Reality must have a way of sorting information, like a deck of cards perhaps.

If we could immediately find the card we are looking for in a deck of cards, then this is the probability that we may seek.

It is possibly about finding probability, such as if we were to choose from either qualities or relations, and find either one immediately.

In life, we find many probabilities, but there are so many accidental events that we come across.

Creating an independent event not contingent upon other things, might require. an adjustment of our approach to probability. Finding qualities or relations quickly.

On the other hand, there may be no actual qualities or relations in the universe. Nonetheless, if we find these as if they were accessible probabilities - - a shortcut, if you will, then that may create better results.

Sorry for the double post. Thought I would get that out of the way.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: So, when reality does not fit our models, we default to the models, and not the reality which they are models of?
mrdim wrote: June 5th, 2022, 2:58 pm In a manner of speaking, yes, but at the same time we use these models of reality to make predictions. We cannot commit ourselves fully to reality in the current age, we must rely on and update existing frameworks until a better solution comes up.
I think you may have misunderstood the point I am making. Have you heard of the logical fallacy, normally described as “the illusion of mistaking the map for the territory”? Here we have reality - the territory - and our models (maps). Reality, the territory, is the Master; the Reference by which all else is judged. Then there are our models, "frameworks", or maps, that represent our understanding of the territory. They represent the territory, but they are not the territory.

So when you comment that, if there should be any confusion, we should retreat to our maps, and set aside the territory, I think you have it the wrong way around. 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

Pattern-chaser wrote: So when you comment that, if there should be any confusion, we should retreat to our maps, and set aside the territory, I think you have it the wrong way around.

Okay, well I think I see what you are saying. I wasn't saying that it is a case of either/or, I think that we can rely on both to make sense of each other. It just so happens that for practical purposes we must rely on existing frameworks to help us through the problems in the master territory. There is of course chance for confirmation bias in both the map and the territory, so both rely on each other.

If someone did have a radical theory about 'change' in the universe, then first it would have to agree with some kind of existing foundational premise, or at least we would have to alter our existing methods dramatically but slowly over time, assuming there would be no dramatic new technologies attached to the discovery.

I think that humanity has reached a stage in scientific progress where the frameworks and models of reality are so well calculated, that even if they are incorrect, it would take time to alter them rather than simply ripping them out.

However, a new technology could alter our existence in a dramatic way. In that respect, it is unknown what parts of the frameworks would be altered. But there will most likely be left behind some commonality that we can refer to.

With the subject of 'change', we do not currently know exactly what will change.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: So when you comment that, if there should be any confusion, we should retreat to our maps, and set aside the territory, I think you have it the wrong way around.

mrdim wrote: June 6th, 2022, 12:54 pm Okay, well I think I see what you are saying. I wasn't saying that it is a case of either/or, I think that we can rely on both to make sense of each other.
I'm sorry, I still haven't managed to communicate my point to you. The territory is 'reality', or 'the world'. It is, in general, too big and complicated for us, so we create maps to help us navigate the territory.

We do not "rely on both to make sense of each other", we rely on our maps to help us make sense of the territory. But, and this is the important bit, if there is ever a contradiction between the map and the territory, it is always the map that is wrong. It cannot be otherwise. 'Reality' is never wrong; it cannot be wrong.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Angelo Cannata
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Angelo Cannata »

I think the discussion between map and territory isn't so simple: what we call "territory" is always filtered by some map.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Angelo Cannata wrote: June 7th, 2022, 5:21 am I think the discussion between map and territory isn't so simple: what we call "territory" is always filtered by some map.
Yes, indeed so. As I said:
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 7th, 2022, 4:32 am The territory is 'reality', or 'the world'. It is, in general, too big and complicated for us, so we create maps to help us navigate it.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Angelo Cannata
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Angelo Cannata »

I mean, whenever we think we are trying to adapt our maps to the territory, actually we are adapting it to another map that we think closer to the territory. In this situation it can happen easily that while we think we are adapting our map to the territory, actually we are doing the opposite, we are going further away from the territory.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Angelo Cannata wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:37 am I mean, whenever we think we are trying to adapt our maps to the territory, actually we are adapting it to another map that we think closer to the territory.
Although we use maps as I have described, I think, we can also over-think this. The territory is reality; it is what it is. Because it is so complicated, we make maps to help us navigate. Our maps are subject to constant improvement, where possible, but the territory - reality - is not. When we improve our maps, we are substituting one map for another, better, one. The new one still maps reality like the old one did, but does it better.

To do as you describe is to make the mistake we are trying to avoid: mistaking the territory for the map, or vice versa.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

It certainly seems clearer to me now, what you are saying.

Presumably the best way of exploring reality, to the best of our ability, is to use empirical methods which we can say are more physical than mental analysis or theoretical maps.

The problem, in the case that I have stated, would be to validate the mental representation that there is change in the universe. This is similar to asking if time exists. There is no absolute proof that time exists, but for practical purposes the theory of relativity helps us explore the concept of time.

Therefore we can state based on our relative perception of time that "event X occurred at moment Y." generically speaking (but I'm not sure to what precision this can be calculated, since time is relative to the observer).

So we must begin with the premise that time is similar to our concept of change, and our relative perceptions allow us to observe this.

If we are to say that we do not have a complete theory for 'change' in the universe, so we should instead use the existing models and frameworks until we can explain it: You're right in one sense that we must avoid retreating to the map and discarding the territory, because a great deal of scientific postulates will not offer the same degree of accuracy as say, the Hafele Keating experiment with the clocks.

To what degree of accuracy modern experiments offer compared to this, I do not know.

However, it seems to me that there is an iterative process involved in science, where the magnitude (the potential effectiveness) of theory, informs practical measurements.

In that case, the iterative process of 'perfecting' formulas and equations, is enough to justify a conceptual framework that we can use to sustain current theories and maps, even when reality (the territory) throws us surprises, or data that we can't make sense of.

For practical purposes we cannot measure all of reality at once.

But we seem to agree that reality can be measured in different forms.

I think that actually you are incorrect in saying that we don't use one to make sense of the other. I think it's clear that we use the territory to make sense of measurements, which are themselves abstract and contain their own unique point of reference in our understanding of the world, or the universe.

Now, I think, if measurements could be replaced with something that characteristically exists for what it actually is, and not what it represents, then there would be no dualism between reality and our map of reality.

However, I assume that there is some dualism in the universe, and that measurable properties eventually fall under this dualism, rather than everything simply 'being as one.'

So I think that when you suggest that I'm committing a fallacy, we can only look to what we can practically determine and make iterative, and not beyond.

Thank you for your insightful comments.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

mrdim wrote: June 8th, 2022, 12:38 am Presumably the best way of exploring reality, to the best of our ability, is to use empirical methods which we can say are more physical than mental analysis or theoretical maps.

If we are to say that we do not have a complete theory for 'change' in the universe, so we should instead use the existing models and frameworks until we can explain it

it seems to me that there is an iterative process involved in science, where the magnitude (the potential effectiveness) of theory, informs practical measurements.

In that case, the iterative process of 'perfecting' formulas and equations, is enough to justify a conceptual framework that we can use to sustain current theories and maps, even when reality (the territory) throws us surprises, or data that we can't make sense of.
All of the things I've highlighted are maps, or mapping-tools. There's nothing wrong with them, or with using them; we have no choice, as the universe is too big for us to swallow in one bite.

mrdim wrote: June 8th, 2022, 12:38 am I think that actually you are incorrect in saying that we don't use one to make sense of the other. I think it's clear that we use the territory to make sense of measurements, which are themselves abstract and contain their own unique point of reference in our understanding of the world, or the universe.
These measurements are empirical observations of the territory. There are concrete, not abstract. Things start to get abstract when we analyse our data, and start to interpret it. N.B. that interpretation includes fitting the new data into our world-models (maps), so that they become more easily comprehensible to us.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

All I would say is that we use laws and models to the extent at which they are still useful to us. Such as Newton's laws, which, if we were to interpret them as false because of Einstein's theory of relativity, we would be missing the point. Newton's laws have been reduced in scope but they are still effective on some level.

Even if our interpretation of Newton's laws is wrong, we are not yet aware of how to correct this problem in interpretation, because the laws can still be of use to us.

That means in science, people have to exercise judgement, and a case of successive interpretation isn't the only factor.

I do agree however that if interpretations are wrong in our models, then that can lead to further wrong interpretations as a sort of succession of failures.

(If I'm still way off the mark, maybe you could provide an example of how new theories of change in the universe would cause us to update our models of reality using the data available, without relying too much on information that could be out of date when attempting to sustain our judgement of what is effective and what isn't?)

I appreciate that you are only human and may have limited patience. :)

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream